Seven

The Flower Crown & The Two Swords

 

It had been a week since Hyejoo ran away from Xiwang. She was sure the king would send his minions to look for her, so, for her own safety, she concealed her identify. With her sharp features and a scar on her face, she could easily look masculine. With her hair in a ponytail, and her newly acquired skill for making her voice even deeper, she became Hyungjoo. Traveling in her horse, she looked for a kingdom where she could make a living while she planned to go back to Chaewon.  

So far, she'd been turned down at every single gate. There was no way to blame them – She traveled alone, carrying two swords and a shield, with a scar all across her face, saying she was a refugee from Xiwang. It was a well-known kingdom, but not for the best reasons, so they must think she was some kind of spy.  

Forced to spend her nights out in the dark, humid, terrifying world, Hyejoo did not go a single night or day without thinking about Chaewon. If there was one thing that kept her alive and strong, it was her wish to see her again, in the appropriate time and place, to fight alongside her for their right to be together, and to build a better place for all the people. 

At night, she would light up a fireplace to stay warm and to keep the wolves away. She didn’t want to kill them, but for her own sake, she would grab her swords and be prepared to use them if necessary. There wasn't enough to eat, save for a few spare wild berries. With no means of entering any sort of realm where people lived and there was food, no way to hunt safely from a distance, all that she could do was use the power of her mind to convince herself she was not hungry. 

The night before, Hyejoo was consumed by hunger and her survival instinct kicked in. She did something ruthless, immoral and unforgivable according to her standards.  

She stood at the easternmost entrance to a small Kingdom, observing the guards' behaviors and how they changed shifts for a couple of hours before nightfall. Then, at sundown, one guard called both her colleagues on duty to open a bottle of rum he'd gotten through gambling – an opening. That half minute was enough for her to sneak past them like a shadow and run until she found the nearest property – a small, cozy, house surrounded by a vast plantation. 

An old lady named Vivi lived alone in that house. This kind soul did not hesitate in offering her a comfortable bed to sleep, a full meal, a warm bath and even washed her clothes, not to mention she also took care of her horse. The next morning, the woman gave Hyejoo fruits, vegetables and some bread. Before leaving and thanking her from the bottom of her heart, Hyejoo promised Vivi she would come back in the future to repay everything she did for her. It seemed surreal that the lady offered her shelter just like that when all doors had been closed for her. That woman did not see any sort of evil in the world. 

The scorching sun told Hyejoo it was around midday. By then, she'd successfully escaped and resumed her journey towards finding refuge. In the distance, she spotted two high towers of a castle above the trees. She followed the path traced in the forest and after an hour, she finally could see the gates. Hyejoo unmounted her horse. Two guards who stood by the gate observed her as she approached. She bowed and smiled at them.  

“Can we help you, young warrior?” One of the guards asked.  

“Good morning. My name is Hyungjoo and I’m a refugee from Xiwang, seeking for a place where I can live and work in.” 

The two guards exchanged a look.  

“Very well, Hyungjoo. I'm Mark. I’ll take you to His Majesty.” 

Hyejoo’s eyes lit up as her lips grew into a smile.  

“You can leave your horse with me, I’ll take him to the stables so he can drink some water and rest,” The other guard said. "My name is Haechan, by the way." 

“Thank you so much, sir.” She bowed and followed them, passing by the gate. She wondered for a second if they were to be trusted. They might as well have taken her horse to keep it for themselves, and they might have brought her in just to pillage her for the very little she had. But at this point, she had to take the chance. 

That kingdom was nothing like Xiwang. It was lively, and although everyone seemed busy, they all stopped to greet her and the guards. 

“Take this young swordsman to His Majesty.” Mark asked a guard who was outside de main gate of the castle.  

“Welcome to Shanliang. My name is Ten.” The guard politely bowed to Hyejoo. 

“Thank you, sir. I’m Hyungjoo.” She answered, bowing back. 

She followed him inside the castle, looking around. It looked similar to the castle back at Xiwang, but more modest. There weren’t so many statues, tapestries, relics, or gold in every corner of the rooms.  

Ten lead Hyejoo to a room that seemed like a small library. There was a dark wooden desk in the middle of the room, with a chair in both sides, and the walls were covered with shelves. 

“His Majesty will be here soon,” Ten said. 

Hyejoo muttered a thanks as she looked around, curious. She approached a shelf and took a closer look at the books. Philosophy, History, Economy... There were books about everything in there. She was lost in her own world when the door opened. She straightened herself and eyed the king for a couple seconds, bowing right after. 

“Your Majesty.” 

“Welcome! Thank you, Ten, you can go back to your post,” The king said. The guard bowed and left. “Please take a seat.” 

Hyejoo sat in front of the desk, as the King sat in his chair. 

“I am Lee Taeyong, king of Shanliang. What brings you here?”  

“Hyungjoo, Your Majesty. My name is Hyungjoo and I’m a refugee from Xiwang. I seek a place where I can live and any job I can perform, where I can be of use and live free.”  

The King studied her face for a couple seconds, as he leaned in and rested his forearms on the desk. His features were delicate, almost feminine, with defined lips, dark eyes and silver hair. 

“Can I ask you why you abandoned Xiwang?” 

“Yes, Your Majesty. I was accused of a crime I didn’t commit. I was to face execution unless I ran away.”  

Once again, he remained silent for a few seconds. “It's... peculiar that you carry two swords and a shield with you." 

“I was a guard back at Xiwang, so I carry my weapons with me. I later became the princess' personal guard, and as a reward for saving her life one time, she presented me with this exclusively crafted sword, a gesture of gratitude and honor.” 

It wasn’t entirely a lie, but she took care in choosing the details she revealed. Being asked about her sword reminded her of Chaewon. It had been only a week, but she missed her so much her heart clenched whenever she thought of her. She couldn’t stop wondering what happened after she left, if she was safe. 

“The princess of Xiwang... Chaewon is very well known for being an impressive swordsman." Hyejoo widened her eyes at her mention. She was that well known, even in neighbor kingdoms? "And for you to be her personal guard, you must be quite skilled, am I right?” King Taeyong leaned back in his chair. 

“I was told so, Your Majesty. It seems I was appointed as the best guard in the palace ranks, Sir,” Hyejoo said with a modest smile, earning a chuckle from the King. 

“Can I ask a last question?”  

“Anything, Your Majesty.” 

“What is the story behind that scar of yours?” 

“I was hurt that one time I saved the princess' life.” 

He smiled. “You resemble my son, Jisung, a lot.” 

Hyejoo's eyebrows rose on her forehead. “Thank you, Your Majesty. I’m considering it a great compliment.” 

“He was an excellent swordsman, strong, brave, and intelligent. I miss him very much, and… it’s as I see him in you.” His voice tone was calm, almost nostalgic. 

Was? 

“He died in the battlefield, fighting to protect our people,” King Taeyong said, and Hyejoo couldn’t stop her eyes from widening. 

“I’m truly sorry, Your Majesty. I did not know.” 

“I don’t blame you, Hyungjoo. Xiwang is… very selective about the information which reaches the people, am I right?” 

Hyejoo frowned, and before she could answer, the king continued. 

“You mentioned you sought a job. Aside from combat skills, what else can you do?” 

“I know the basics of blacksmithing and forgery, but anything I can do, I will work my hardest to learn how to be fast and efficient,” Hyejoo said, trying not to sound too excited. 

“Excellent! My great friend would appreciate some help. You’ll be working with him, until an opportunity to show what you really are worth appears.” The King stood up. Hyejoo showed him a puzzled look, to which he answered with a smirk. “Come with me, I’ll have you taken to him.” 

“Thank you so much, Your Majesty.” Hyejoo shot up from her seat and bowed, following behind.  

His pace was fast, and as they left the castle, the King took her to a large, long street, a multitude of guards following right behind them. In both sides, there were stores selling all things one could imagine, and people walked in every direction, looking at the items in sale. Hyejoo followed the king inside one of them. The guards bowed and stood outside the shop as they went in. She found it odd that they wouldn't accompany the King inside, but she wouldn't question it. 

"Hello, Jungwoo." The king greeted. 

"Good afternoon, Your Majesty!" The man, with thick lips and gentle eyes, polishing a sword behind the aisle, greeted back. 

It was a rather large shop, with weapons exposed all around. Swords of all sizes and shapes, axes, spears, hammers, shields and bows rested in weapon stands in the walls. There were even some mannequins wearing equipment for sale, such as helmets, gauntlets, boots and leather clothes. 

"Is your brother at the workshop?" The King asked. 

"Yes, he is. You can go in. Be careful, it might be hot inside.” 

Hyejoo smiled awkwardly at him, and he smiled back with a gentle bow of his head. Just like he warned, the air became much hotter as she turned to the corridor in the back of the shop. Ahead, there was an entrance with only a black curtain separating the room from the corridor, a loud metal sound coming from the inside. The king pushed the curtain aside and stepped inside, Hyejoo following along. 

The room was bigger than the shop itself. Fire roared inside a large forge, with tools and large pieces of metal organized all around the room. A man with broad shoulders and back, muscled biceps, wearing only an apron in his upper body, worked on a bar of steel, hitting it continuously with a hammer. The King waited until he realized he had company. 

"Oh, Your Majesty! What brings you here?"  

"Lucas, I'm sorry to bother you, but I have an important favor to ask you." The king stepped aside, as if inviting Hyejoo to approach. "This is Hyungjoo. He came from Xiwang, looking for work and a place to stay. Will you take him in? He knows a thing or two about your craft, and I know you could use some help around, am I right?" 

Lucas eyed Hyejoo from head to toe, and shot her a smile. 

"Help would be great." He cleaned his hand on his apron and extended it. "I'm Lucas, nice to meet you, Hyungjoo." 

Hyejoo accepted his handshake and smiled back. 

"Nice to meet you, Lucas. Thank you for taking me in." 

"By the way, Hyungjoo, you don't have a place to stay, do you?" The king asked, before leaving. 

"I do not, Your Majesty." 

"Do you still have that spare room, Lucas?" He nodded. "So you wouldn’t mind if he stayed with you and Jungwoo, would you?” 

“Of course not! Now I won’t be annoying my brother by myself.” He chuckled, playfully hitting Hyejoo's shoulder. 

“Great, it’s settled, then. Have a good first day, Hyungjoo. Lucas will help you around, and you can also talk to me if you need something. You are now a citizen of Shanliang.” 

“Thank you so much, Your majesty. I will not disappoint you. Your trust means everything to me.” Hyejoo bowed.  

“Lucas, come see me in my office by the end of the day, will you?” Taeyong asked just before disappearing behind the black curtain. 

“Say, Hyungjoo, can I take a look at your swords?” Lucas asked. 

Hyejoo nodded and took her own sword first, handing it to him. 

“What did you do back at Xiwang?” He asked, as he observed her sword.  

“I was a guard.” 

“Do Xiwang guards use two swords now?” Lucas irked an eyebrow, handing the sword back to her. 

Hyejoo put her sword away and unsheathed Chaewon's. 

“Not usually.”  

Lucas grabbed the sword carefully and widened his eyes.  

“Handle bathed in gold, embedded crystals… Steel from the Further Lands, the best there is in the world…” Lucas mumbled as he analyzed the sword. Then, his eyes pierced Hyejoo as he asked – “Why do you have princess Chaewon's sword?” 

If the air was hot before, now it was impossible to breathe. How did he know that was Chaewon's sword? Was there any use in trying to lie? If he was a blacksmith, he knew what he was talking about. 

“How do you know that’s hers?” Hyejoo risked asking. 

Lucas chuckled. 

“I made this sword myself.” Hyejoo widened her eyes. “Just like you, I came from Xiwang.” 

Hyejoo was speechless.  

“I was one of the best blacksmiths in Xiwang. Not to brag, but I was actually the best there was. But, as you probably know, Xiwang is not known for treating anyone that is not a noble with dignity. They made slaves out of me and Jungwoo, but my brother had it even worse. He was trained as a tailor, but they made him work like me, and because he couldn't keep up with the expectations, he was frequently punished. We had to endure it, or else it would be worse for the both of us. Until one day. Two royal guards were beating him up in front of me. I lost my mind, grabbed a sword and...” Lucas paused. 

“You killed them.” Hyejoo finished for him. 

“Yes. Sheer rage was something I had never felt before. I had nobody aside from him, since our mother died of sickness when we were little kids and our father died in the war. I felt like I had to protect him with everything I had, even if I had to kill. They were going at it so violently for pure sport, simply because they had the power to do it and thought they could. Then I just grabbed him and ran for our lives. King Taeyong is the best man you could meet in your life. He helped us the moment we got here, five years ago.” 

“You did well. I would have done the same,” Hyejoo said as her stomach twisted, remembering the moment she had to leave Chaewon behind. Her urge to vomit became stronger as she thought of how the people who did that to Jungwoo were of her own kind. Palace Guards, just like herself. To think the legion she thought was noble and honest, the people she thought her own family for so long, was in fact rotten... 

Lucas smiled. “What about you? You were a guard, was your life as miserable as mine there?” 

“To be honest, I didn’t have that much to complain about, personally. But unfortunately, just like you said, it isn't that way for most people, and that bothered me. But that wasn’t the reason I left. I was accused of a crime I didn’t commit.” 

Lucas irked an eyebrow. ”Seems like an interesting story. I’m all ears.”  

Hyejoo took a deep breath and prepared herself to tell the same story she told Taeyong. Being Chaewon’s personal guard, being accused of a crime she didn’t commit, running away. 

“What crime, though?”  

Right. Taeyong didn’t ask Hyejoo what crime was she accused of, and she hadn’t thought about it. 

“I was accused of manipulating the princess into starting a revolution against the King.”  

Lucas widened his eyes and chuckled. “Wow, would you really have done that?” 

“I would probably participate in that revolution, but I would never manipulate the princess, especially because-“ Hyejoo suddenly stopped as she realized what she was about to say. 

“Because?” 

“Because beside being her body guard, we were great friends. I wouldn’t do that.” 

He eyed Hyejoo for a second. 

“I see. So, I'm guessing when you escaped, you escaped execution? If things are still the same, they execute people for everything and for nothing at all. If you were accused of High Treason, then...” 

“I was being lead to the dungeons when I attacked the guards who escorted me and ran for my life,” Hyejoo said nonchalantly. 

“That's bold. I like you already.” Lucas chuckled. “But anyway, you didn’t explain why you have Princess Chaewon’s sword.” Lucas gave it back to Hyejoo. 

“Oh, yes. I saved her life once, when rebels invaded the castle. She offered me her sword as a gesture of gratitude and to honor me as her savior.” 

“I see. Really kind, this princess.” 

“She is,” Hyejoo said as the bigger grin grew on her lips. 

Lucas giggled. 

“Did you get your scar that day? I've never seen one like that. Guards rarely have any fighting to do, so it must have been the only fight you've ever gotten into. Aside from when you kicked those guards' behinds and ran.” 

“You got that right.” Hyejoo gulped. It was probably best to leave out that one time she fought another legion of guards and the King himself. 

“You were really committed to protecting the princess, I can tell.” 

“W-We were close friends. And I've always been committed to my position as the guard.” 

“I see. It was nice talking to you, but we need to get you started in here and this sword won’t make itself. Do you know how to sharpen weapons?” He asked, as she nodded. “Great! Then sharpen this axe, please.” 

Hyejoo grabbed the axe Lucas handed to her and turned to the sharpening table, trying to hide her fuming face. She hoped she wasn’t giving too much information so soon. She just got there and met them, after all. But Hyejoo was an awful liar and in that short talk, she took a liking to Lucas and felt he could be trusted. She could only pray she was right. 

---

A/N: Hello everyone! The story took a turn, and now it's in Hyejoo's, or should I say Hyungjoo?, pov, so, for now, what happened to Chaewon is going to be a mistery keke :)

I hope you liked how the story's going and all the new characters! NCT is my fav boygroup and I thought they would be perfect for the story, especially after Loona's amazing Cherry Bomb cover ^-^

Thank you for reading this story and look forward for future chapters!