Twelve

The Flower Crown & The Two Swords

 

Hyejoo darted upwards and pulled her into her embrace. 

“J-Jiwoo!” Hyejoo cried. 

“Oh my god Hyejoo, you’re... Here.” Jiwoo hugged her back.  

“C-Chaewon, she...” 

“Hyejoo, listen to me.” Jiwoo pulled away, looked around, and made sure the guards were out of sight before she continued. 

*** 

Chaewon had been locked in her room from the moment Hyejoo left and the guards got a hold of her. The only person who could authorize her to leave her room was her father. She was not to leave unless her father showed up on her door accompanied by a battalion of guards. Needless to say, she was guarded all 24 hours of the day by just as many armed guards. 

Two times a day, Jiwoo would visit her for fifteen minutes, to bring her meals and keep her company. If it wasn’t for her, Chaewon would have gone pathologically insane in an instant.  

She would ask Jiwoo to bring her books so she could occupy her time with something. Meditation was another way to spend time and maintain her mind at peace with her reality.  

But as time went by, she found it harder to focus on either of those activities. She stayed in Xiwang because she had wanted to, and needed to do something for the kingdom. But what could she do for her people when locked behind a door? 

Thinking about Hyejoo soon turned painful. She promised Chaewon she would come back, but what if she didn’t even survive? What if she was dead, and Chaewon was waiting for something that would never happen?  

Running away seemed like more of an option each passing day. When she went to look outside her window, she could only see herself jumping and letting her body hit the ground, ending all of her suffering in peace. But that wasn't who she was. Chaewon did not give up, and Chaewon did not break promises. She must have gone crazy. 

One night, her father called her for dinner. It was one of the rare occasions in which she was allowed to leave her room. Ironically, she would rather stay there forever than have to go out for that reason. 

Chaewon couldn’t look at him without remembering what he did to her, and what he would have done to Hyejoo. She hated him more than she had ever thought herself capable of. More than her beliefs usually allowed her to.  

That night, her father wore an unsettling smile while he told her he would start arranging meetings with princes to find her a marriage contender.  

She always knew that was going to happen, but after hearing it from him, she thought about her body hitting the ground once again. Why didn't it seem scary at all anymore? 

But the promise she and Hyejoo made to each other was still stronger, and whenever she felt like hitting the bottom, she would put the flower crown on her head. It kept the bad thoughts away, as if the flowers had magical powers.  

Somehow, Chaewon convinced herself she was strong and she could handle the first meeting with a prince, some man she had never seen in her life. Maybe she could look at it as an opportunity to finally do something about Xiwang. 

She entered the dining room and sat in front of the prince. He was perhaps older than her and conventionally handsome.  

The dinner was a nightmare. The prince was like a replica of her father – he had the exact same greed and bloodlust, the same sort of endless expansion plans. Chaewon forced herself to eat, but the conversation was making so dry she couldn’t swallow the food.  

After eating, her father decided to leave them alone for a bit, so they could get to know each other better. Instantly, a knot replaced her stomach. But she forced herself to speak, smile, and laugh when he tried to make small talk with her. He told her she was the prettiest woman he had laid his eyes on, and a disgusting smile crept on his lips as he rested his hand on top of hers. Chaewon ended the meeting right there, saying she wasn’t feeling very well, and left the room with an apology. 

What in the world was he up to? All of them knew the meeting wasn't about her. It was about attaining the power of ruling over Xiwang in the future. A political arrangement, like all marriages. She was there as an accessory, her body and her very existence presented as some piece of meat, a bonus prize to a disgusting man with disgusting interests. 

As she left the room, she barely made it to the bathroom in time to throw up. She ran back to her room after, hid under her blankets and cried herself to sleep. 

On the next day, she woke up feeling like a different person. 

“Jiwoo, I've been thinking. Anywhere is better than here,” She said in a mere whisper, so the guard outside wouldn’t hear. 

Jiwoo’s eyes widened when she read her expression. 

“What are you talking about? You're...?" Jiwoo didn't even dare say the word out loud, even though both of them knew what she meant. "What about... your promises? And how exactly do you think you can do it?” 

“She can be dead by now and I won’t know, Jiwoo! I can’t take part in what's about to happen to me! I don't even have a say in it.” Chaewon cried. “Please, help me. I'll take care of the rest myself.” 

On the next day, Jiwoo went to the kitchens earlier than the usual, to make sure only one person was there at that hour. She stepped inside and there she was, baking fresh bread. She smiled at the sight of Jiwoo. 

“It’s nice to see you so early.” 

Jiwoo approached her, looking around. When she was sure they were alone, Jiwoo closed the distance between their bodies and kissed her lips for a couple seconds. 

“Sooyoung, I need you to do something for me." 

The cook raised an eyebrow at her and flashed her a smirk, sliding her hand behind Jiwoo's waist.  

"Not that kind! I'm serious here!" Jiwoo glared at her, slapping her hand away. In the same second, Sooyoung’s face matched the seriousness of Jiwoo's. 

A few hours later, Jiwoo brought Chaewon a special lunch. 

“There’s a small knife and a hair pin inside your bread. Grab the extra food Sooyoung sent you, unlock the door and ambush them,” Jiwoo whispered. 

“Thank you, Jiwoo. I'll come back. Until then, please be safe. I know my father's going to suspect of you, but you have to be strong. He doesn't have any proof.”  

Jiwoo stared deeply into Chaewon’s eyes and hugged her close. 

“You too, be safe. I’ll be waiting for you, Chaewon.” Jiwoo tried not to cry.  

“Keep this.” Chaewon handed Jiwoo the flower crown. “Keep it until I come back.” 

“I will.”  

After another hug, Jiwoo left, praying everything would go well. 

Chaewon grabbed whatever she needed and prepared herself. The early hours of the morning were the best possible time to leave. It was near the end of the guards' night shift and they were usually drowsy and unaware. Fools. 

Using the hair pin, Chaewon unlocked her door and opened it carefully, knowing that was sure to catch the guards' attention. She swiftly hid to the side of the door, with her back pressed against the wall. As she predicted, they kicked the door open. When she saw the first foot, she made the move. The back of her knife hit one head, and a body fell to the ground, unconscious. Before the other could realize what was happening, he was next. 

Hiding her head with the hoodie of her cape, Chaewon moved like a shadow, silent and invisible, through the corridors of the castle. 

At that time, she wished she had her sword. She walked towards the right wing, stepping outside and quickly hiding, as two guards walked in her direction. She held her breath and resumed her run when they were out of sight. Gladly, there were no training sessions at that hour, so she could easily get a sword from the armory. 

As she ran down the road towards the stable, she heard someone yelling at her to stop, coming from behind. Without looking back, she sprinted, mounted a horse and headed towards freedom. 

*** 

 

Hyejoo would have fallen to the ground if Jiwoo wasn't there to hold her. She cried even more, but now, it felt like everything in the world made sense again. 

“The King was so embarrassed she managed to run away he preferred to tell the whole kingdom she died of illness, and even put this stupid grave together. She’s out there looking for you, Hyejoo. She can’t be too far. Please, go and find her.” Jiwoo begged. 

Hyejoo regained her forces and cleaned her eyes once more. 

“Jiwoo, I came back as a prince to marry her,” She said, earning a wide eyed look. “It’s a long story, but I became the prince of Shanliang. I can marry Chaewon now, by law. I’ll find her, take her to Shanliang and prepare a revolution, King Taeyong will support us, and even help us. Talk to Jungeun, Jinsol, and Haseul from the army, and with Yerim and Yeojin from the guard. Tell them to prepare an army to fight within two weeks. I assure you they are to be trusted if you manage to talk to them alone. I’ll be back as soon as I can, and we’ll put an end to this, once and for all.”  

Hyejoo grabbed the flower crown and turned to Jiwoo. 

“And keep this until we come back. I want Chaewon to wear it at our wedding.”  

Jiwoo smiled. 

“Stay safe, and I’ll be waiting for you both to come home.” 

Hyejoo smiled back and removed Chaewon’s sword from the ground before dashing back to the carriage. 

“Hyejoo-” Lucas said as soon as she returned. 

“I called their bull. I was right, Lucas. No time to explain. Return to Shanliang and tell King Taeyong that Princess Chaewon is alive. I'll be back with her as soon as I find her,” Hyejoo talked fast and low, as she took one of the horses from the carriage and mounted it herself. 

Lucas only nodded as he watched her take off into the distance. 

♚♚♚

What would Chaewon do after running away? If she was looking for Hyejoo, would she ask about her around other kingdoms?  

At least, that was what she would do. Just like when she ran away, she stopped at every kingdom, but now, she wasn’t a refugee from Xiwang. She was Shanliang’s prince. Guards would tell her to stop by and rest, but she was always straight to the point: 

"I'm looking for some information about a few refugees. Did your kingdom happen to take in any recently?" 

It wasn't as if she could go around asking for a dead princess and not raise attention, but this did the trick. She had her methods of getting information, whether they gave it to her willingly or not. But no refugees she found out about even resembled her. 

The night was about to settle. Her horse seemed to be getting tired. Even though Hyejoo wanted to keep looking for her, it wasn’t wise to do so if her horse couldn’t keep up. 

So, she stopped by a river to drink some water and let her horse do the same. Hyejoo sat down on the grass, leaning against a tree, and looked up at the sky for a couple seconds before closing her eyes.  

She dozed off, opening her eyes without knowing how much time went by. The sky was pitch dark, with the starts and the moon shining brightly. Her horse laid down. Hyejoo stood up and approached him, petting his neck. 

“I’m sorry, I know you’re tired, but I need to find Chaewon,” She whispered. 

The morning arrived as Hyejoo reached another kingdom. She approached the guards and asked the same question. 

“We have not taken in any refugees in over a year, Your Highness. But some guards from Xiwang stopped by not long ago and asked the same question. Perhaps that is helpful to you.” The guard explained. 

“Guards... from Xiwang?” Hyejoo repeated.  

Hyejoo knew some of her colleagues from the guard were sent on expeditions to track down refugees, but she also knew they happened every six months and the last one had been shortly before she left. It didn't add up. 

“Yes. Then they just followed their way.”  

”Which way did they go?” 

The guard pointed at the road following south. 

“Thank you for your help, sir.” Hyejoo bowed, and not wasting another second, resumed her way. 

Chaewon was being chased. Hyejoo couldn’t be late again. She needed to find her, and fast.  

♚♚♚

The further she went, the further she was from finding her. At least that was what Hyejoo felt like... until she saw what she did. 

Three men sitting under a tree, wearing the same uniform she used to wear when she was a guard. Three horses stood close, drinking water. Hyejoo got off her horse and approached, taking care not to be seen or heard, until she could make out what they were talking about. 

“She knocked all three of us out on her own! It's useless, we lost her.” 

“Shut your mouth!” The guard smacked the other's head. “We may have lost her for now, but she can’t run forever. Don’t forget the reward for bringing her back. Can you imagine all that gold... ours?”  

“She can't be far, anyway. Don't forget that she was hurt,” The third voice spoke. 

Hurt?! 

“We're getting our hands on her, alright. And she'll get what she deserves for humiliating us like that. Little princess decided to play hide and seek...” He spat. 

Hyejoo used all of her restraint not to jump at their necks. She couldn’t afford to have her plans found out, so she controlled her raging mind and backed away. Not to mention Chaewon was hurt, and she was probably going to have a hard time keeping up her pace and her head start. 

The sun was setting down. Hyejoo reached yet another kingdom and approached the guards at the entrance, and at Hyejoo’s usual question, the guards looked at each other, frowning. 

“N-No, no outsiders came through these doors lately.”  

“Did some Xiwang guards stop here asking the same question?” Hyejoo added. 

“Xiwang guards? No, no. No one from Xiwang stopped here, Your Highness. No refugees or guards.” 

“T-That’s right.” The other guard agreed, nodding his head.  

Hyejoo looked at the both of them alternately. Their bodies had stiffened and their eyes couldn’t properly focus on Hyejoo. 

“I see. Thank you anyway, sir.”  

Hyejoo couldn't tell if she'd just made them nervous or if they were lying, but at this point, she couldn't afford to trust anyone. 

She knew exactly where she was. Not too long ago, Hyejoo had waited for those thirty seconds when the guards changed their post after a drink, then found refuge with Vivi, the nicest old lady she'd ever come to meet. That woman had the eye of a hawk, and with her house being so close to the gates, she was bound to know something.  

Hyejoo pretended to turn around and leave, then silently kept her watch until the switch. She took off on a run when the entrance was unguarded, straight to the small house with the farm.  

Hyejoo knocked on the door and it opened after a few seconds. Vivi looked up at her. 

“H-Hyungjoo?” 

“Vivi! You know who I am.” She smiled. 

“Your scar is unforgettable, my dear. You seem to be doing quite a lot better than the last time I saw you." She eyed her from head to toe, holding her spectacles. "Say, what brings you here?” 

“I am looking for Princess Chaewon.”  

"Princess Chaewon? From Xiwang?" Vivi frowned. "I heard the poor soul died from illness. So young she was... May her soul be held safe." 

"She isn't, Vivi. I know for sure."  

Vivi’s lips turned a straight line. 

"What makes you so sure, dear?" 

"Her handmaiden informed me and urged me to find her."  

Vivi studied her face for a while, then stepped aside. 

“Come in.”  

“Thank you, thank you so much, Vivi.” Hyejoo exhaled. She was right – Vivi did know something. Now, she could only hope it was good news. 

Vivi sat down on the couch and told Hyejoo to do the same. 

“Before I tell you what I know, I wish to hear your story first.” Vivi asked. 

Hyejoo nodded. It was only fair. Hyejoo told everything to her without any interruption.  

"You mentioned you had to present yourself as a man to hide your identity. Tell me, child. What did you use to call yourself?" 

"Son Hyejoo, personal guard to the princess." 

When she said those words, Vivi sighed, taking her hand to her chest. 

“God bless your soul, my daughter. Princess Chaewon... she’s hurt.” 

“W-Where is she?!” 

“Here.” 

Hyejoo had come here expecting to know her whereabouts, or possibly bad news. But this totally caught her off guard. She laughed in relief as she hid her face in her palms, warm tears running down her cheeks. 

“She’s asleep now, but please, go see her. You haven’t seen her in a long time, right?” 

Hyejoo nodded, her chest jumping from the hard sobs. Vivi smiled and rested her hand on her shoulders. 

“Come with me.” 

One door was now everything that separated them. Hyejoo stood, her hand in the handle. She wanted to see her so desperately, but she was also afraid that, as soon as she opened the door, it was all a dream and she would wake up. Or that she was seriously hurt. She closed her eyes and with her trembling hand, opened the door.  

An angel laid down on the bed, sleeping peacefully, covered in warm blankets. Hyejoo thought for a second her chest would burst as she closed the door and approached the bed.  

Her knees gave in as she caressed Chaewon’s cheek with the back of her hand.  

Chaewon was skinnier and paler, but she was still Chaewon. Hyejoo tried to control her sobs and sniffles not to wake her up, but the emotions on her heart were too strong.  

She had not been late this time. 

“I'm here, Chaewon. I found you,” Hyejoo muttered, observing her closely. 

How much she missed her, her beautiful face, her presence. Hyejoo had never felt so relieved, so relaxed. The world made sense again.  

Hyejoo hadn’t realized how exhausted she was until she finally was able to breathe again. Her face buried on her arms, and as soon as her eyes closed, she fell asleep. 

“H-Hyejoo...?” A voice from heavens called her name.  

Hyejoo opened her eyes and raised her head.  

How much time went by since the last time she looked at Chaewon’s eyes.  

“Chaewon...”  

It seemed like they had so much to say, yet they couldn’t say anything at all. Chaewon’s eyes widened and her brows knitted together as her lower lip started to tremble.  

“I'm so glad you're-" Hyejoo started and was cut by Chaewon’s arms around her shoulders and her face in her neck. 

Hyejoo wrapped Chaewon with her arms, hugging her tightly, letting her cry how much she wanted.  

"Wait, Vivi said you were hurt." Hyejoo pulled her away, examining her body. "What happened? 

"It's nothing." Chaewon said, pulling down her sheets to reveal the bandage on her left thigh. "Just a cut from a fight I got into with your old buddies. Vivi said it will heal soon if I just rest. It just hurts a bit to walk right now." 

"Thank goodness, I thought it could be so much worse--" 

"I'm fine, Hyejoo, that's the last thing that matters right now." Chaewon smiled. “How did you know I was here?”  

“I didn't. I was here in Vivi's house when I was on the road, too, and I thought she might be able to help me... I never thought you'd actually be here. I’ve been looking for you since I went to Xiwang and they told me you were dead.” Hyejoo explained. 

"You went to Xiwang?!" Chaewon gasped. "And came out alive?! How?" 

"It's... a really long story. But yes, I'm here, am I not?" Hyejoo chuckled. 

Chaewon pulled away and cupped Hyejoo’s cheeks, leaning in to kiss her lips.  

“Hyejoo, tell me, when you went to Xiwang... did you see Jiwoo?” 

"She's alright and out of danger. Jiwoo was the one who found me and told me you were alive. If it wasn't for her, I might have given up. You can't imagine what it felt like to think I might have lost you forever..." Hyejoo looked down  

"Oh goodness, I'm so glad." Chaewon sighed heavily. "I couldn't live with myself if something happened to her because of me." 

The look on her face became serious and stern. 

"Hyejoo, listen to me. We need to do something. We can't let the people in Xiwang in suffering while we go off and live our happy lives in hiding." 

"I know, Chaewon. We’re going to Shanliang now. The King supports our cause, and he is willing to participate in a revolution against Xiwang. It's time. It's going to happen.” 

Chaewon widened her eyes. 

“Wait, Shanliang? Why Shanliang? How do you know the King supports us? Hyejoo, you know we can't go around blindly trusting anyone. Are you sure about this?" 

"Yes. A lot has happened since I left, Chaewon. I'm Hyejoo only for you now. Now, I am Hyungjoo, prince of Shanliang," Hyejoo said, her chest inflated with pride. 

"P-Prince?" Chaewon cocked an eyebrow. "How..." 

"I'll explain on the way. That doesn't matter now. What matters is that I was sent on my first official duty as a prince and there's no way I'm going back to Shanliang without completing it. So here it goes." 

"What are you talking about?" Chaewon observed as she watched Hyejoo stand on one knee. 

Hyejoo took Chaewon's sword from her belt and laid it out in her hands for Chaewon to see. 

"I, Prince Hyungjoo, heir to the throne of Shanliang, officially and with the blessing of His Majesty, King Taeyong, request the hand of Princess Chaewon of Xiwang, to rightfully wed and to cherish, for the rest of my life."  

Hyejoo thought about this moment too many times for her to keep count. And among the many ways she thought it would happen, never had she imagined it would be so natural, so right. As Chaewon took her sword, set it aside, and launched herself to her arms, Hyejoo knew whatever was to come their way could never overrule what they had vowed to share for the rest of their lives. 

---

A/N: Hello everyone! Yes, this was the last chapter, and as promised, everything that happened with Chaewon and a happy ending. Sorry if I scared you with the previous chapter keke c': 

I hope you all enjoyed this story, and look forward to my next one. It will be a 2jin story! I will start posting it next week ^-^ 

Thank you so much for reading this story! <3