Eleven

The Flower Crown & The Two Swords

 

Was there any use in trying to lie?  

Hyejoo took a last breath and prepared for the worst or the worst. 

“My name is Hyejoo.” It felt like déjà vu, letting her real voice talk and referring to herself with her real name. Taeyong leaned forward with his elbows on the table, his eyes fixed on her. 

“I used to be princess’ Chaewon body guard, but then we...” She stopped. There wasn’t any other way to say it, anyway, so she closed her eyes and said - “We fell in love for each other.” 

She made herself open her eyes to find Taeyong with a small smile. “Go on.” 

“Me and Chaewon were about to start a revolution against her father, but somehow he found out. I was accused of turning Chaewon against him and the kingdom, and was about to be convicted for High Treason. I had to choose between leaving and dying a gruesome death.”  

There was a pause. Hyejoo couldn’t bring herself to look at him.  

“So, not only did you hide your true name, you’re also a woman.”  

Hyejoo felt almost ashamed. “I am deeply, truly sorry, Your Majesty. I was afraid that someone would be sent to find me, so for my own security, I hid my true self. But I shouldn’t have lied to Your Majesty, especially after you were so kind to me.” Hyejoo stood up and bowed. “Please, forgive me.”  

“There, there, sit down. I’m not going to punish you or anything, don’t worry.” 

She looked up, gulped, and sat down.  

Taeyong sighed and leaned back on his chair once more. 

“It’s been some time since I've known you, and you still manage to surprise me.” He chuckled. Hyejoo had no idea what that meant. “Were you planning on telling me?” 

“I... Maybe? I honestly don’t know.”  

“Listen up.” His voice became serious all of a sudden. “It doesn’t matter who you are on the outside. It doesn’t matter if you’re a man or a woman. I know who you are, regardless if your name is Hyungjoo or Hyejoo.” 

She could only let her eyes open wide. 

“I understand why you chose to hide your identity, and I respect your decision. You’re still going to be Hyungjoo to the kingdom, but you can be Hyejoo to me.” He gave her a warm smile. 

“T-Thank you, Your Majesty. That... It means a lot.” 

“Let me ask you a question. Was this your plan since the beginning? Did you enter the competition as a way to reach Chaewon?” 

“No, Your Majesty. Like I said, I truly care for your purpose as the ruler of Shanliang and I found that I could be fitting to continue your work in the kingdom that took me in when no one else would. Of course I had in mind that it could bring me closer to her in a way, but I would never use it only as a means to fulfill my own end. Besides, when I got here, I could have never guessed that I would be faced with this opportunity.”  

“I know, your eyes don’t lie. What about that revolution? What were you planning on doing?”  

“We didn’t have much time for planning before we got caught, but we want to put an end to her father’s madness. He doesn’t care about his people. Commoners starve and live in misery and he only cares about expanding his kingdom, and having more slaves to satisfy his hunger for gold.”  

Taeyong sighed. “That’s really something to take care off, isn’t it? I admire your motivations. Even if you had to lie and live your life as someone else, you did it to fight for your purpose, harming no one in the process.” 

Both her cheeks and eyes became warmer. “Thank you.” 

“That is brave of you. You’re both women, but you’re willing to fight for each other, even if that’s seen as wrong. I do not see any way that your pursuit could be harmful to the kingdom, as you are officially a prince. I am sure you are aware that you will have to find some way to bring an heir to the world to come after you, am I right?” 

Hyejoo nodded, scratching the back of her head. Taeyong leaned forward.  

“A possible alliance with Xiwang is nothing but advantageous to us. If we play our cards right, there is in fact a chance that by joining forces with the princess, we can undermine her father's reign and bring peace to the people of Xiwang.” 

Hyejoo’s lower lip quivered. There were no words to describe how different Taeyong was from Chaewon's father. Taeyong was so accepting, so right, so fair, that after knowing Chaewon's father, Hyejoo wouldn’t think there could be such King.  

“You... You're willing to help the cause? Thank you s-so much, Your Majesty.” Hyejoo sobbed, bowing her head. 

“Of course, Hyejoo. I have never been particularly fond of the King's methods and his particular taste for war and violence myself. If there is an uprising growing inside the kingdom, we can stop him from making people miserable everyday and pillaging more realms." He rubbed his chin. "Listen carefully, Hyejoo. You cannot be naïve as to think the king will not recognize you. Even if you go as Hyungjoo, your scar will denounce you.” 

“It's very likely, yes. But I don't need to get his blessing to marry her. All I need is entrance to the castle as a prince, and then I only need to stay safe and lay low for long enough, so that I can do something from inside the walls. The king cannot openly murder a prince, so if he intends to do it, he's in for a challenge.” 

“This world needs more people like you, Hyejoo.” He smiled. “I’ll send a letter to Xiwang to arrange your meeting. You’ll depart in a week. Please stay safe. I don't have any intentions of losing another heir, now that I've found you.”  

♚♚♚

Hyejoo could barely sleep at night all throughout that week. She would be seeing Chaewon so soon she could cry just by thinking about it.  

Since she needed guards to accompany her, she could at least choose who she wanted to go with her. 

As she dressed her suit and tied her hair into her usual ponytail, she grew nervous. She hung her sword on her waist, and then grabbed Chaewon’s. Finally, she would fulfill her promise, and give it back to the real owner. 

A knock on the door interrupted her thoughts.  

“Everything’s ready. We leave when you want to,” Ten said.  

“Thank you. I’ll be there soon.” 

Hyejoo gathered all the things she needed and headed outside, where Ten, Jaehyun, and Lucas stood by the carriage. 

“Good to go, Your Highness?” Lucas teased, as he loved to do. 

“Yes, I am, my royal guard.” 

“Wow, I didn’t know I was promoted to your personal guard.” 

Hyejoo threw him a deadly glare. 

“Hyungjoo.”  

She looked back to Taeyong, who stepped down the stairs of the castle’s main gate. Hyejoo excused herself and walked to him. 

“Your Majesty.” 

“I just wanted to wish you a safe trip.” He rested his hand on her shoulder. “And good luck. I’ll expect you come back with good news.” 

“I will.” She reassured with a confident smile. 

Taeyong smiled back and wished them all the best.  

Hyejoo entered the carriage, followed by Lucas, while Ten and Jaehyun mounted their horses to the front of the carriage. In the back, two other guards in horses watched the backside, while two carriage drivers sat at the front. 

“Nervous?” Lucas asked. 

Hyejoo laughed. 

“There are no words to describe what I’m feeling now, Lucas. This is the moment that I’ve been waiting for, fighting for, since I left. You don’t imagine how much I miss her.” She fought back the tears. 

When she turned her head to look at him, she found him biting back a laugh. 

“What are you laughing about?” 

“I’m sorry. It’s just, the way you talk about her, you know.” 

“What about it?” 

“You can now be Shanliang’s prince, but deep down, you’re still a little girl in love with a princess.” 

“A little girl that has made you beg for mercy in duels several times!” Hyejoo whisper-yelled, hitting his shoulder.  

 “Alright, alright, I’m sorry! I’ll stop teasing you,” He said, earning a satisfying smile from Hyejoo. “For now.” 

Lucas laughed, making Hyejoo hit him again and again, as he tried to defend himself. He could be a huge tease, but he always managed to put a smile on Hyejoo’s lips. 

♚♚♚

The trip would take about three days, with only a few stops to stretch their legs, eat, and switch drivers. Hyejoo was glad she took a couple books from Taeyong’s library, or else she would die of boredom and anticipation.  

The sun was rising in the third day, which meant they were nearly at their destination. Hyejoo looked outside the window, and she could already see the high towers of the castle. She gulped and felt her heart thump against her chest. 

Chaewon was there. Hyejoo felt so anxious she wanted to throw up. She closed her eyes and straightened herself, trying to get a hold on her mind and body, when a hand touched her shoulder. 

“You okay?” Jaehyun, who was in the carriage with her at that time, asked. 

“I... I am.”  

“I know you’re nervous, since it’s the first time you’re fulfilling your... princely duties. Don’t worry, everything’s gonna be fine.”  

Hyejoo thanked him with a smile.  

To get rid of the anxiety, Hyejoo decided to meditate for as long as possible. With so much training, she could already do it in any place and almost any occasion.  

“Hyungjoo, we’re almost there.” Jaehyun’s voice woke her.  

Hyejoo opened her eyes and looked outside. They were already on the road to the kingdom’s main gates.  

The carriage slowly came to a stop, and the door opened. Hyejoo took a deep breath and stepped outside, fixing her clothes. Lucas walked a bit behind her to the gate, where two guards stood. 

“Good morning, gentlemen,” Hyejoo greeted with a bow of her head, trying so hard to keep her knees steady. “I am Hyungjoo, prince of Shanliang, and I came to present myself as a contender for princess Chaewon's hand.” She handed a letter to the guard, so he could confirm the information. 

The guard stared at her. Did he know who she was? After a few seconds of hesitation, he accepted the letter, sharing a weird look with his colleague. He opened the letter and quickly read it. 

“Your Highness...” The guard said. “Princess Chaewon, she... she passed away two days ago. I’m terribly sorry.” 

“E-Excuse me?” Hyejoo must have heard it wrong. 

"The Princess had been quarantined for a long time inside the castle. She has fallen very badly ill, and as I heard, she finally succumbed just the other day. I’m sorry you came all the way here to learn about this.” 

If it wasn’t for Lucas, Hyejoo would have fallen to the ground.  

“No... this can’t be true...” Hyejoo mumbled, feeling the world around her spin. 

“Your Highness, is everything alright?” The guards approached her. 

“You're lying.” Hyejoo shot at the guards, making them stop on their tracks. 

“Your Highness, please, try to remain calm,” Lucas whispered, tightening his grip on her arms. 

“That story does not sound quite right. I don't believe you.” Hyejoo's breathing had become heavier, as she tried to convince herself that it was a story meant to cover up something bigger.  

“Your Highness, I’m truly sorry, but as you can imagine, it was sad news for all of the kingdom,” The guard said.  

“Lucas, don't you tell me you believe this bull.” Hyejoo turned to him, not minding the tears threatening to run down her eyes. “She isn’t dead, right? She couldn't be!”  

“Let’s go back to the carriage.” He apologized to the guards, lowered his head, and pulled Hyejoo with him.  

“No, Lucas. I am here to see the princess.” She resisted, trying to release herself from his grip, trying not to show how much her limbs were shaking. "What I think happened is that the King has already made some shady arrangement for some other prince to marry her and they're trying to shut us up and make us turn around without a word." 

"Your Highness." He held on her shoulders, his own eyes starting to tearing up. “I’m sorry. There’s nothing I can do. I’m sorry. Let's just go. It's no good staying here.“ 

“No! I’ll only believe it if I see her grave!” She locked her jaw, her fierce eyes defying Lucas. 

Hyejoo pulled away and walked to the guards again, clenching her fists and raising her chin. 

“Take me to the graveyard,” She demanded. “If what you are saying is true, there will be a grave. I insist on seeing it, or else I will not leave.” 

The guards shared another look. 

“Very well, Your Highness. Come with me.”  

♚♚♚

Hyejoo knew perfectly where the graveyard was, and the way there seemed to be taking ages. Her logic made perfect sense, so, she knew she would get to the graveyard and see no grave with her name. Maybe she was walking into an ambush to capture her, since the guards recognized her for sure. Yeah, that was definitely the case. They'd known who she was. In which case, they'd been really stupid in allowing her into the kingdom anyway. No way they would manage an ambush on her. Not now that she was twice as strong as when she'd left. 

“Go ahead,” The guard said, stopping by the entrance. 

"I'll be right here." Lucas nodded, standing by next to Xiwang's guards. 

Hyejoo walked fast, looking around her. See, there’s nothing! Not a single... 

There was a tall grave, nearly drowned in flower arrangements. Her pace slowed down as she approached it. 

Chaewon, princess of Xiwang 

Hyejoo lost strength on her legs, falling to the ground, as tears fell on her clothes.  

It had been two days ago. Two days...  

“No...” 

If Hyejoo had arrived two days early, she could have saved her.  

“Chaewon... I’m here... I came back...” She sobbed, feeling her soul leave her body. “Look, it’s your sword!” Hyejoo unsheathed Chaewon’s sword. “I kept it with me all the time, I fought with it, and I brought it back to you, just like I promised you!”  

When Hyejoo looked ahead, and as she extended the sword forward, she noticed. 

The flower crown, laying on the ground, right underneath her name engraved on the stone. 

It was exactly like Hyejoo remembered it. Not a single petal fell from it.  

Chaewon was supposed to use it when they got married in their own unofficial, secret way. Hyejoo was supposed to see her in a long, white dress, with the flower crown she had made with so much love laying on her head. They were supposed to live together, forever, and happy.  

But instead it now laid on top of marble, a large rock that pressed the earth down on her limp, lifeless body, a carcass of the beauty she used to be. Who knew what she'd looked like when she parted. Had she really been ill? Had she been suffering? What had been her last words? The last person she saw? Did she think of her as she let out her last breath? 

Hyejoo's body started shaking uncontrollably, as she felt a sudden rage building up inside her. 

It was her father's fault. Whatever he did to her, was the cause of her death.  

Clenching her jaw, Hyejoo grabbed on the handle of Chaewon’s sword, and with the blade faced down, she buried it on the ground. 

“I’ll avenge you, Chaewon.” She then grabbed the flower crown. “I’m sorry... I’m sorry I was late, I’m sorry I couldn’t save you...” carefully, Hyejoo hung the flower crown on the handle of the sword.  “I’m sorry I couldn’t keep my promise... I’m sorry... I’m-“ 

“Hye-Hyejoo?” Said a voice she recognized from behind her. 

Hyejoo looked back, wiping her widened eyes.  

---

A/N: next chapter will be the last one c: