One

The Flower Crown & The Two Swords

 

Princess Chaewon walked to her favorite place in the entire castle – the garden at the back of her room. Tall trees in both sides formed a corridor of fresh, green grass, leading to a clearing, with a large pond, koi fish swimming around in it. The place where she could be in peace, connected to the four elements.  

Her meditation ground.  

She sat with crossed legs, placing her sword on the grass, next to her body. Straightening her back and resting her hands on her knees facing upward, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Slowly, as usual, she willed herself to feel her body in connection with her surroundings, to stay present in the moment. Not the past, not the future, not her worries – they had no place here. 

The princess was one with the nature. She could hear the birds chirping in the trees, the grass and tree leaves dancing with each other, and the sound of the water splashing as the fish swam close to the surface. 

After some time, an odd sound coming from the trees took her out of her trance. The breeze around the leaves sounded different, as if a body moved through them. Was it a squirrel? Or a... person? 

An unknown smell reached her nose. 

There were three of them, approaching from inside the trees. Chaewon didn’t move an inch. She wanted, whoever it was, to approach her. She would act when she felt like, and only if she must. If they were coming for her, they would get overconfident if they thought she was unaware. 

And when she heard the clink of unsheathed swords, on either side of her, she knew it was time. 

Opening her eyes, Chaewon rolled on her back, and as to not waste any time with returning to a standing position, she used the strength on her palms to keep her stable as her legs rose to the air and kicked both of the invader’s jaws.  

They hadn’t even hit the floor when the other person charged towards her. She let her legs fall to the back so they met ground again, and still crouching, she grabbed her sword, making it just in time to block a frontal blow. They tried to hit her with the hilt of the sword – they weren't trying to kill her. 

Chaewon managed to stand up, while still defending every blow, the clash of the blades echoing thought the air, scaring the birds away. The hooded, masked figure, had a clear advantage on her. He was likely male and a full head taller. But his moves were sloppy, slow, and badly premeditated. He couldn't match her dexterity. With one swift movement of her sword, Chaewon disarmed the man, kicking his gut right next, making him growl in pain. 

But she was now surrounded by the three of them, who had already regained their postures.  

"Who are you, and what do you want?" Chaewon asked, her voice firm and intimidating. "If you're looking for a fight, I highly suggest you leave. You're no match for me." She spun her sword in her hand a couple times. 

None of them dared to speak, as expected. She let out a chuckle, not lowering her guard. 

They charged at her.  

Blocking the blow coming at her right side with her sword, she grabbed the wrist of the one who had lost his sword earlier, stopping him, and kicked the other who charged at her at her knee, making him stumble and hit the ground. She twisted his wrist, making his body follow the movement or else she would break it. Hearing the man she just kicked running back to her, she quickly ducked, kicking his shin hard enough for him to hit the ground. 

In a second of silence, Chaewon heard it. Steps... louder, closer. 

The guards were on their way towards them. When the men noticed the approaching squad, they split in different directions and took off in a run. They had planned it to the utmost detail. 

"Your Highness!" A guard said, as he ordered the rest of the group to chase the intruders. "Are you hurt?" 

"No. They just..." 

"I'm going to ring the alarm bell!" Another guard said, running his walk back. He turned to another colleague. "You, go inform His Majesty about this." 

"No!" Chaewon interrupted. "I'll talk to him later. Don't worry, it was nothing serious." 

"With all my respect, Your Highness, this is a matter that concerns your security. His Majesty must know. We need to take appropriate precaution measures to prevent further incidents." 

Chaewon sighed. 

"We'll accompany you to your room." 

♚♚♚

Chaewon stepped inside her room, closing the door behind her. 

"Oh, welcome back, Your Highness!" The woman cleaning her room said with her smile that Chaewon found brighter than the first rays of sun at dawn. 

"What do I need to do for you to finally call me by my name, Jiwoo?" Chaewon playfully punched her shoulder. "You’re my best friend. As the Princess, I order you to call me Chaewon from this moment forward."  

Jiwoo had been Chaewon's handmaid for a couple years now, and they had become best friends in no time. Since Chaewon spent a good chunk of her day with her, and their age difference was only one year, Chaewon felt not only cared for, but genuinely understood. 

“As always, using your authority to have your way, I see.” Jiwoo chucked. “But if that’s your wish, I shall comply, Chaewon.” 

The princess smiled, satisfied with her argument. She knew Jiwoo used formalities only to , as their relationship was far too close for that. 

“You’re back earlier than usual.” Jiwoo pointed out, as Chaewon jumped to her bed.  

“Well, I would have meditated for longer if I hadn’t been jumped on by three guys." 

Jiwoo turned to her abruptly, almost dropping her cleaning cloth. 

“W-what do you mean?” 

“I was meditating when three hooded men decided it was a good idea to put up a fight with me.” She said nonchalantly. 

“Oh dear, are you okay? Did they hurt you?” Jiwoo ran to her. 

“They didn’t lay a finger on me, Jiwoo.” Chaewon smiled. “I’m perfectly fine. I just don’t understand who they were nor what they wanted. For them to be able to break into the castle, either they managed to pass through the guards, or they’re from the inside.” 

“Why would someone from the castle attack you? Or someone from outside, for the matter.” 

“I don’t know, but I don’t insist on knowing either.” 

“How can you be so calm? You could have been killed!"  

"No, not really. They weren't trying to kill me, just knock me out. Probably the typical smartasses thinking they can snatch me away for a ransom." 

"His Majesty need to know!” 

“God, you too? The guards are probably talking to him by now. I’m fine really, there’s no need to make such a fuss over it.” 

Jiwoo looked at her with a dropped chin. 

“Your confidence is enviable, but you need to understand your responsibility. You’re the only princess of this kingdom. You need to keep yourself alive and well at all costs, or Xiwang will have no heir.” 

“I know, that’s why my father trained me so well, and I’m grateful for it.” Chaewon forced a smile. 

Before Jiwoo could scold her a bit more, someone knocked on the door. 

“Your Highness, His Majesty wishes to see you.” The guard from earlier said. 

Chaewon rolled her eyes. 

"See? He's been informed of it, alright." She scoffed, making her way towards the door with arms crossed. 

♚♚♚

“Hello, Father.” 

“My dear daughter, please take a seat! Dinner shall be served soon.” 

As the king sat by the end of the magnanimous dining table, Chaewon sat by his side. 

“I assume you have been made aware of the happenings of this afternoon,” she said. 

“Yes, and I am deeply concerned about your security.” 

“You need not worry, Father. You trained me well.” 

The King smiled and rested his hand on top of his daughter's. 

“Yes, I did, and I don't doubt your abilities. You’re the captain of the army and the swordsman squad, after all.” A proud smile shone on his lips for a few seconds. “But if those men managed to breach our security, then there is certainly some flaw in it that needs to be taken care of. It is necessary to take additional measures to reinforce your protection. Although I am glad you are unharmed, one cannot predict what can happen in the future.” 

“Whatever happens, I will not let anyone touch me, you know that. I’ve never been defeated in combat, careless men like those would never stand a chance against me.” 

“I know you are the best swordsman and fighter this kingdom has seen, and I am as proud of you as I could be. However, this time it was three individuals. Next time, it could be more. Remember what I have taught you about the strength of numbers. Because I am concerned this could have a sequel, I took the decision of assigning a personal guard for you.” 

Chaewon widened her eyes. 

“Father, I-I don’t want a body guard. I don’t need it. I’m too old for a babysitter.”  

“Watch your language, daughter.” The King’s tone was not altered in the slightest, though Chaewon felt the lingering authority in his words. “It does not matter whether you need it or needn’t. It is always better to be safe rather than sorry. I also reinforced the security around the castle and asked for a thorough investigation on this breech and a possible identity for these men.”  

Chaewon dropped her head and her lips formed a thin line. The King smiled and hit his glass with a fork two times. 

Steps echoed in the room. She looked behind her and the figure of a woman faded in from the dark corridor. She wasn’t particularly tall, but she still towered over Chaewon’s petite build. Her form was wider and far sturdier and more muscular than her own. She would not be the most dexterous fighter, but her balance and sheer strength would potentially be outstanding. 

Chaewon scanned her face, from the small, lazy almond shaped eyes, her tall and prominent nose, to her uniquely-shaped lips. Triangular lips that resembled a bow and looked permanently settled on a frown. Her overall posture communicated seriousness, arrogance and disregard. 

Chaewon wanted to let her chin drop in surprise, but decided to keep her expression locked, to match the semblance of the woman.  

“Your Majesty, Your Highness,” The woman said, bowing to the two of them.  

“Thank you,” the King said, then turning to Chaewon. “The Captain of the Guard appointed this woman as the most skilled guard apart from himself. My daughter, she goes by the name of Son Hyejoo. I have just personally observed this woman in combat and judge that her skillset is different than yours, and therefore, will largely complement your weaknesses in combat. I place my trust on the both of you to cooperate in a way that will make you a near invincible pair, in the best interest to keep the princess and therefore the lineage of this Kingdom in safety.” 

♚♚♚

A/N: Hope you all enjoyed the first chapter, and I'll be posting a new chapter every Thursday and Monday! So please look forward to it