Vol. 6

Love Exposé
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Longest chapter so far for this series, took me quite a while to write it. let me know what you think in the comments :) 

...........................................................................................................................................

 

“The limo’s ready anytime you want to go,” Boyoung told me. “So don’t let Sehun keep you.”

“Him?” I laughed nervously. “That’s no issue. The real problem are the sponsors who’d be trailing after him.”

“No difference,” Boyoung pointed out. “I’m sure someone’ll would approach you both to talk about your relationship.”

“My lips are sealed,” I assured her.

“As it should, but anyway you can just leave your phone in the limo and text me when you want to go, I’ll be heading somewhere nearby after dinner,” Boyoung said, looking at her watch. “They should be arriving anytime soon. Word of advice? For once, take advantage of Sehun’s presence to close a deal on any projects.”

“I don’t want new projects,” I told Boyoung. “I want to focus on writing songs for my comeback.”

“I’m sure the company would love to hear you say that,” Boyoung replied sarcastically. I scoffed. “I think these earrings would match your clothes well. They’re Chanel. Still not out in the market. They granted us exclusive use for tonight.”

“Flashy,” I said, looking at those Rhinestone dangles. “Help me put them on?”

“Of course,” Boyoung said. She did so gently and scanned my reflection in the mirror. “You look lovely, Youjin. I’m sure you’d steal the night.”

“Thank you,” I said, a bit embarrassed. I don’t really gush about myself because I know that there are so many more beautiful actresses out there but I do feel quite decent tonight. The dress they picked for me – a mauve spaghetti-strap long gown made by acclaimed fashion designer Steven Khalil – was a no non-sense, straightforward dress, much to my heart’s liking. It’s the best dress I felt I’ve worn in my entire career just because it’s so comfortable and non-sparkly.

‘That’s the understatement of the year,” Kara, my hair stylist butted in. She was putting on the last pins needed to secure the elegant bun on my head. “Girl, even Sehun’s face won’t outshine you and he is dreamy. I’m so excited for him to see you because you know what, his jaw would drop.”

“Oh my god, stop it,” I said while laughing. Out of all the people I know, Kara is the one who always talks in an exaggerated manner, and she does it a funny way so it never annoys me; allthough, she does make me feel embarrassed a lot of times. She always loves to hype me up and boost my confidence. God knows I needed someone like that in my life.

“For real, though?” Kara’s voice boomed across the room. “That dress is so simple but looks soooo good on you everyone would wonder why they’d even bother to dress up.”

“And I made sure not to put so much make-up on you, to bring out your natural features,” said Hani, my make-up artist.

‘I’m really thankful to all of you,” I addressed my glam team. “You are all so reliable.”

 

Just then, my mom opened the door to my room. She took a quick look at me and I immediately saw the satisfaction in her eyes. “Sehun’s here. Come down, and don’t forget your invitation.”

“Okay,” I said, suddenly nervous. My throat felt like it had gone dry in a matter of seconds. What would Sehun think? Quickly, I picked up my Charles & Keith Gold Chain Bag and slung it on my shoulder. I turned around and said to Boyoung, “Do I look okay?”

Boyoung rolled her eyes at me. “Are you fishing for more compliments?”

“I’m serious.”

“You’re perfect, Youjin. And even if for some reason you’re still not, it won’t matter. That boy is whipped for you.”

“How can you tell?” I rhetorically said while scanning myself in the mirror one last time. The elated feeling I had a while ago was slowly fading. “You don’t even speak with each other that much.”

“And he doesn’t even need to say anything,” Boyoung rolled her eyes. “Visiting you in shoots? Bringing you food? If he’s not an actor I’d hire him as your personal assistant. And here I thought after so many awards, he’d already be so professional.”

“Guys, c’mon, let’s go,” Hani said. She and Kara were halfway out of the door.

I turned around to look at my manager properly. “What do you mean?”

 

Boyoung picked up her own things and made for the door as well. I hurried after her.

 

“I guess he couldn’t even bear seeing you kiss another boy,” she scoffed.

“What?” I said, frowning a bit at her. “He was there Boyoung, I saw him watching the monitor behind the director. He even praised my acting, back at the trailer.”

“Pfft, yeah, he was,” Boyoung said. “But he didn’t look when Kai actually kissed you. He just suddenly took out his phone, backed up a bit, and started texting. That is SO an act.”

 

Boyoung’s statement was still echoing in my head when we reached downstairs. What does that even mean, that he didn’t look? It couldn’t have been an excuse for him to text someone at that exact moment. It’s not that improbable. There’s no reason for him to look away. I’m the one who’s inlove with him. It’s not the other way around…

 

“Youjin,” my dad said at the foot of the stairs. He opened his arms wide while grinning at me, and I went to hug him. “You look amazing.”

“Thanks, dad,” I said, as I watched mom walk to us. She too had a smile on her face.

“Sehun’s by the front door,” she announced. “Come now so I can take a picture before you two go.”

 

I could tell my parents were excited way more than me. Although this is my third time going to the ball, it’s the first time my date actually went to my house. I’ve previously gone with my co-actors and they only ever met up with me at my agency. My mom didn’t like people knowing our address for good reasons. She expected this time will be different though since she thought I was going with Jongin, and he already knows our address. She likes him, which is a curious thing because my mom barely likes any boy friend I have. Nonetheless, it’s Sehun I’m going with, and being a polite guy, there is no way Sehun would not pick me up at my house.

 

When I turned a corner in full view of our living room, Sehun was standing alone with his hands on the pocket of his pants, his back me, as he peered solemnly through the picture frames on one of the tall cabinets. I thought he looked so out of place in our house. His hair was pushed back, as he always does when he has to wear formal attire -- something that I’ve always find attractive and manly. He’s like a greek god, and I don’t know what to do with that knowledge anymore.

 

Sehun obviously felt someone’s presence and turned around. I thought I saw his eyes flicker a bit, but I couldn’t tell for sure, because he broke into a gentle smile in a matter of seconds.

 

“Hi,” we both said at the same time. I let out a small laugh, and cursed myself right afterwards because it sounded so shaky.

“You’re beautiful,” he suddenly said which caught me off guard. I don’t remember the last time he praised my appearance, if he ever did. From the corner of my eye, I saw Kara nudge Hani, and they giggled silently. I knew without seeing it that I was beet red.

“Well, I didn’t want to look like an ornament in the mansion,” I said, looking down at the skirt of my matte gown.

“It’s perfect,” he said and I felt the butterflies in my stomach grow even stronger. “It’s…so you.”

“Thanks, you look dashing yourself,” I said, trying to sound casual. “As usual.”

Sehun laughed, and it was so beautiful I had to grin back.

 

“Sehun, come and stand close to Jin,” my mom interrupted. “I’ll take a picture and then you both go ahead. It’s rude to be late. And I don’t want the driver to go over speed limit just to get both of you to the mansion.”

 

Sehun walked closer to me as my team and dad followed my mom around so we can have a frame to ourselves.

 

“God, it’s like I’m going to prom,” I joked. Sehun laughed.

“I would have wanted to go to one,” he confessed, and I suddenly remembered that he was homeschooled all his life.

“You didn’t miss much,” I told him. Unlike Sehun, I finished regular school until before college.

“I should have at least bought you flowers. Sorry I didn’t,” Sehun said. He faced the camera, put a gentle hand around my arm while I clutched my bag with both hands in front of me.

“You, buying me flowers?” I scoffed with a smile at the corner of my lips. “Nope.”

“You don’t give me any credit, do you?” he whispered as my mom started counting down, and we both smiled happily for the camera.

 

My mom took several shots, and when she was satisfied, we took some as well with my parents. Sehun asked my mom to send copies to him later because his mom would have wanted to see as well. With that, we finally got into the limo and sped off.

 

During the limo ride, Sehun and I easily went back to our usual bantering selves. He took out his Nintendo Switch and I watched him play his favourite games. He let me play as well, but I have a talent for botching them so quickly he kept on teasing me for it. I asked if he had any goals for the night, and he said he just wanted it to end quickly and maybe we could go and play some real computer games at his house before my parents could notice.

 

“I do want to get in touch with Director Bong if I can,” he admitted later on as the car drove up the hills. “I think his works are brilliant.”

“They are,” I agreed. I still cry over his last film. Sehun and I watched it together at my house.

“You?” Sehun asked, peering at me over his phone.

“Hmm, I don’t really have anything in mind,” I told him. “I’d want to make an OST for a drama though, if anyone would have me.”

“I see.”

“Oh we’re here,” I said.

 

The gate was still some meters away, but it’s so enormous I could not have possibly missed it even in the dark. As what occurs every year, some media personnel were scouting before the gate with their full gears, although of course, it’s entirely fruitless since every person invited passes through the gate in limos or other vehicles with dark-tainted windows. I could see them trying to find out who were in our car, but it’s just impossible to see. The mansion itself is still quite a distance from the gate, impenetrable by long-distance camera lenses.

 

Jun showed our invitations to the guard. They did a quick scan of the vehicle and soon we’re off.

 

Although I’ve been in the place for a couple of times now, I still get amazed when I see the mansion emblazoned with a thousand glittering lights. Our driver circled around the maze garden and the elegant fountain before it, so that he can drop us off directly in front of the staircase leading to the entrance. I immediately tucked loose baby hairs back to my ear then removed my cellphone and place it in a compartment in the limo. Sehun followed my example and dropped both his phone and his Nintendo. We knew it was not allowed to bring gadgets in, for security purposes.

 

As soon as the limo stopped, Sehun made it his obligation to open the door and help me down.

 

“My lady,” he said, holding out his hand to me and childishly grinning while at it.

“Good sir,” I said, mimicking what they say in period movies, and then followed it up with a roll of my eyes.

 

We were immediately welcomed by one of the event organizers and were led a floor up to the main hall. When the door was opened to admit us, I was surprised by how crowded the place already was when we weren’t even late. People in suits and flashy gowns were talking in almost every corner except for the huge space in the middle where some hired performers were doing slow ballroom dancing.

 

I could see heads immediately turned at the sight of Sehun, and when they saw me standing next to him, whispers were added to the equation. I tried my best to ignore it as much as I can, which didn’t take long because Ye Ji suddenly appeared in front of us with her drama partner and good friend, Kim Taeil.

 

“There you are!” She exclaimed and quickly hugged me. At Sehun, she said, “Ah, the star of the night.”

“Hello too, Ye Ji,” Sehun said, smiling. Then, he shook hands with Taeil, “Long time no see, Taeil.”

“Yeah,” Taeil said. They both starred in the same commercial before. Taeil suddenly faced me and I put on a friendly smile. He reached out a hand and I took it. “I don’t believe we’ve personally met before, but I know you’re the pretty girl who stole Sehun’s heart. I’m Kim Taeil.”

“Hi,” I said, letting out a small but nervous laugh. “Han Youjin.”

“We’re on the same table!” Ye Ji interrupted. “C’mon now, the program’s about to start.”

 

And sure enough, it did. We headed to our seats at a round table by the side of the hall. We were joined by two others who were veteran actors, which was quite lucky for us. The program was short as expected because the real point of the event was to socialize. There was the regular opening speech by the current Mayor of Seoul followed by the director of Korea’s Cultural Center and the CEO of Samsung. The food and wine were then serve while we listen to the Orchestra and watch ballerinas take the center stage. I noticed some people were so keen to talk to Sehun that they even headed to our table while we’re eating. Ye Ji and I exchanged knowing looks the third time it happened.

 

“You’re very busy,” I poked fun at Sehun when he went back to his seat after shaking hands with the advertising manager of Kia.

“Well, you know,” he said then whispered to me with a small smirk on his face. “I am number one at boy brand value for 2 years in a row now.”

“I hate when you say things I can’t even refute,” I whispered back and he laughed.

“Yeah, it’s just like how you’re very lucky to be sitting next to me right now,” he stated airily. I groaned at him while making sure he’s paying attention at how hard I was cutting the steak with my knife.

He glanced at what I did and quickly said, “Pretend I didn’t say anything.” And then he made a point to finish his own plate. I laughed evilly.

 

The fun I had while watching him talk to so many people didn’t last long. Soon, as in right after dinner, when everyone’s free to finally roam around, people just swarmed him to talk and give him wonderful offers. I wasn’t annoyed about the fact that he was getting it all. I know he deserved it so much. But some people flocked to him so hard that there came a point I got pushed away from his inner circle. Sehun noticed of course, and he tried to take my hand but he couldn’t reach me in time. Not only that, while he was trying his best to give all of them individual time with him, those who were waiting in line kept themselves busy by chatting quite amicably with me just to get some real juice over our publicized relationship.

 

“We were long-time friends,” I kept on repeating because it’s the only thing I know I can say safely without fear of misinterpretation.

“It’s nice of him you know, to bring you here,” one of them said, as if I wasn’t invited on my own. I think she was one of the producers of Hello Counselor. It’s quite demeaning sometimes how anti-feminist the industry is that even women spout these kinds of nonsense.

 

“Sorry about that,” Sehun said after he got away and we stirred clear from them. He handed me a glass of pink lemonade which he picked up from the banquet table. He got a glass of cold water for himself. I realized he’d been apologizing too many times to me ever since the hotel scandal. “But I’m honestly glad you’re my partner his year. It’s a lot better to have a friend to talk to.”

“Yeah,” I replied after I took a sip because what else can I say to that?

 

Suddenly, as a group of four walked to the side and cleared our direct view as a result, we caught sight of Director Bong. He was with a younger business-looking guy who is probably a director tool, and they were talking to none other than the goddess, Park Junhee. She was wearing a long black evening gown that intensified her beauty a thousand times more. I didn’t think that was even possible.

 

I turned to look at Sehun with the intention of pointing out Director Bong to him, but he had already seen them. At that moment, I was a hundred percent sure who he was really looking at. There was a spark in his eyes that wasn’t there before and my heart thumped wildly in my chest. I looked down on my halfway-empty glass. It’s happening again, I thought. This is how it started with Soojin, and all the others before her. I can see it in his eyes. He was going to fall in love with someone who’s not me for what seemed like the millionth time.

 

“Go ahead,” I said in a soft voice, almost robotically. This is the only thing I can seem to do for him all these years standing by his side. To push him away, because he never sees me the way I want him to anyway.

 

“What?” Sehun said rather unintelligently. He was so caught up he didn’t even hear me proper.

I raised a hand and pushed him forward gently by the arm.

“You go, and talk to them,” I told him, and somehow painfully forced a smile on my face. “I know you want to.”

 

Sehun looked confused for a second, as if I was talking in alien language. Then he said slowly, “You don’t want to come with me?”

“No, I can wait here,” I said, then managed to let out a small laugh. “Don’t want to ruin your chances.”

 

Sehun looked at me, and I could tell there was a bit of indecisiveness in him if he should leave me at all. Deep inside, I wanted him to stay, to insist that I should go with him or per

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter