Vol. 2

Love Exposé
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The news broke early that morning. I was quite sure nothing about the report would come as a shock to me, but it still made my head pound in distress. Or maybe, that wasn’t it at all. Maybe, it was the fact that I’m hearing the news after waking up in an unfamiliar place that’s making me feel as though I’m on the brink of having a nervous breakdown.

 

                “So…” Kai’s deep voice broke me out of my reverie. He was coming out of his loft’s kitchen, carrying two mugs of hot coffee. He handed me one, smiling a bit, then sat himself on a small couch across me. “Is your phone going crazy yet?”

                “Thanks,” I said, smiling shyly back. I took a sip before continuing, “and I turned it off, I don’t think I’m ready just yet.”

               

                After last night’s turn of events, I knew I simply couldn’t go home to be hounded some more by the press. Plus, I was completely aware of the repercussions of my decisions. Thus, for a while, I had no idea where to go. I owned an apartment somewhere in Dongdaemun but I still haven’t had the chance to fill it up with furniture. I also didn’t think staying alone was a good plan for me just then. I took my time driving in rounds to get away from any possible media trailing behind, and then when I was stopped by a red, a name popped in my head, and I quickly turned my car around and headed for a different district neighbourhood. Jongin’s.

 

                Kim Jongin and I had only recently become friendly with each other. We are currently co-stars in the web drama where both of us play the parts of the leading characters. As I am his love interest in the show, I knew the effect of my dating scandal on our viewership ratings. Jongin had only been in show business for 2 years, but he had made a name for himself after his action-filled soap opera which ended airing barely three months ago. I actually consider myself lucky that someone like him wanted to experience taking on a webdrama role. Of course, he’s still quite a league from Sehun’s level of popularity, but he’s quickly getting there. At least, if I don’t end up ruining his career for him.

 

                The moment I realized that very fact, I called him on the phone. I didn’t know exactly where he lived, but luckily he picked up the call right away. He must have heard something in my voice, because he didn’t ask much when I told him I needed to see him for something very important, even when it was way past one in the morning. Still, I realized then that he was much more of a private person than he appeared to be, because he instructed me to park my car in one of the basement spaces he owned.

 

                I remember apologizing while doing a 90-degree bow the moment he opened the door for me. Recovering from surprise, he ushered me to step in so he could close the door and we could talk more openly. I didn’t go far in and quickly told him about my scandal that’s going to make the news the next day. I didn’t tell him the truth of it but he was a very good listener. When I stopped talking, he told me to wait a while so he could fetch me a glass of water. He also told me to sit down and be comfortable in his living room but I didn’t dare to.

 

                Jongin saw that I didn’t budge at all from my position by his door and sighed, “Relax, Youjin. You’re safe here…and I’m not angry.”

                “I would totally understand if you’re disappointed and—“ I said in haste.

                “I said I’m not,” Jongin said, giving me a warm smile. I noticed his eyes were shining a bit and realized I must have woken him up from his slumber. I felt even more sorry then. “No one has to apologize for being in a relationship. And Sehun, huh?” He added thoughtfully. “ I’ve heard rumors you guys were long-time friends. I didn’t think it was that kind of relationship.”

                “Yeah…well, things happened and we ended up like that,” I lied through my teeth. “I wanted you to hear it directly from me because the media might also bombard you with questions and I don’t want you to get caught off guard for what I did—“

                “I’d tell them nothing, I promise,” Jongin cut me off. His eyes looked so sincere I thought I understand why so many people like him.

                “Thank you, Jongin,” I said, smiling at him in relief for the first time that night. I handed him my empty glass and said, “Sorry again for barging in. I should really get g—“

                “You should stay,” Jongin suddenly blurted out. “Here, tonight, I mean.”

                “What?” I reacted unintelligently in surprise. I took a second to recover. “Oh no, I—“

                “It’s really late, Youjin, I can’t let you go out on your own,” Jongin hastily explained. I noticed his ears went a bit red probably because he didn’t expect my shocked reaction at his kindness. “Plus, I think I understand you enough to know you’re not going home. You went straight to me because you felt guilty about the situation. You don’t want to bother your family about this.”

 

                I stared at him in controlled amazement, not wanting him to know that he figured me out down to a T. I had no plans of coming home because I knew my mom would go berserk with me when she hears the news. Sehun stayed at our place many a times and that would come totally different in my mom’s perspective now. In fact, Sehun would probably never step foot in my bedroom again.

 

                “So, just stay the night, Youjin.” Kai closed as if he just won the matter.

                “Please…I don’t want to impose,” I said softly.

                “You aren’t,” Jongin blurted out. “And I live here alone. It won’t be a bother.”

               

                Jongin let me have my silence while I think things through. I knew it was such a bad idea, the media could have followed me after all. Jongin’s smart enough to know that, and yet he still offered. I’m also too tired to drive home anymore. It’s quite a long way…

 

                “Okay,” I finally said, admitting defeat. “But I’ll take the couch.”

                “If that’s what makes you comfortable,” Jongin merely said, and I’m glad he didn’t argue anymore about it. “I’ll grab you pillows and a blanket.”

 

                And that’s the story of how I ended up watching the news from his television. Despite him probably too tired from work and me springing the news on him so suddenly, he woke up earlier than me and prepared toasts, eggs, and coffee. He woke me up and served me breakfast before making the coffee. I almost covered my face with the blanket when he did. I knew I look horrible in the mornings. It was completely embarrassing, not to add the fact that we were basically just friends from work.

 

                After the flash report of my supposed relationship with Sehun, Jongin spoke lightly, “Are you going to tell me the full details of what happened last night?”

 

                The thing is, although I’ve opened up a bit to him, I never would tell Jongin how it was all a farce. So I kept the story to the established facts as the media knows it.

 

                Essentially, after getting the call from Sehun, I rushed to Park Hyatt. It didn’t take me long to arrive and I let the staff park my car valet in haste. I called Sehun several times to ask for the room number but he wouldn’t answer. It turned out I didn’t even have to ask because reporters wearing IDs were rushing everywhere in the hotel’s lobby that they didn’t even notice my presence. Even some of the hotel staff had to pause in their jobs to look curiously at what was happening. I wore my black cap I carried out of my car and followed one female reporter who looked like a newbie with the way she was grappling her voice recorder and notes. I didn’t ride in the same elevator as her but luckily she was only joined by other reporters. I waited to see what floor their elevator would stop. It was on the 23rd floor.

 

                Quickly, I rode the other elevator and closed it before anyone could join me inside. I chose to come out at the 22nd level and just climb 1 floor up through the exit doors. When I reached the 23rd, I took a peek before coming out but it was strangely quiet on the floor. I half-expected to hear cameras being arranged and small conversations before I even see people but there was nothing going on at all. The only thing I managed to hear was a door being closed before I decided to step out in the open. I kept my head low as I ventured through the long corridor of rooms. However, even after reaching a corner, there was no one suspicious who appeared. Did I possibly pick the wrong floor?

 

                I turned left, quickly scanning the room numbers I passed. 2330, 2331, 2333…. Where the hell is Sehun?

 

                I took out my phone, thinking of calling him again, but before I could do so, a door to the right some meters ahead of me opened slightly. I stopped in my tracks and felt as if I just had a heart attack. However, as if some entity heard my internal panic, it appeared to be only Sehun.

 

                When he realized it was me, he let out a hand through the door gap and quickly ushered me to get closer to him. I was confused. I thought the reporters were inside HIS hotel room? Did I misunderstand what he was saying on the phone?

 

                Nonetheless, I obliged and hurried to him. It was only whe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter