SIX.

Pick Up The Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Only their breaths in sync and the sound of AC filled the room. Neither of them dared to speak another word after Chaeyeon’s. Eunbi—who studied, trained, practiced and mastered being calm at all times became a mess before the woman.

 

How should I break the ice?
Is she still mad at me?
Are we okay?
Why is she here?
And why the is she so calm?

 

“I believe we should jump into business now..” a long pause. “Miss Kwon.”

 

And why is she so formal?
. Of course she should. This is business, Eunbi.

 

After what seemed to be ages, Eunbi managed to spit, “Of course.” and began putting a new tape in the machine. “Would you like to take a sea-“

 

“I would like to take a look around,” Chaeyeon cut her midway.

 

Eunbi was taken aback but she tried to hold her horses. “There’s really nothing much to see here. But suit yourself, Miss Lee.” If a patient doesn’t want to talk immediately, let her be. As a psychologist, she should allow them to follow their own pace.

 

The woman gave a quick bow and started roaming around her office. Jumping from one photo to another, scrutinizing one painting to another, touching one figurine to another. Eunbi watches silently and lets her be. Chaeyeon always pay attention to details, she had always been like that since then. Every tiny speck of detail won’t go unnoticed to her. And Eunbi is certain, the girl sensed how uneasy she is since the first second they stayed on the same room.

 

Chaeyeon looks pretty much the same since she last saw her. Except that she lost some weight, but not too much. She’s still in shape. She didn’t seem to age, either.

 

Almost 20 minutes have passed and Chaeyeon is still not yet done with her ‘tour’. Eunbi have to go home early today, and that means 20 minutes from now. Her brother, Jiyong, was discharged from the military yesterday and her parents decided to have a family dinner to celebrate his return. Her parents are rarely home now since they became based in Los Angeles, which is understandable, for the place is a bigger picture and they were lucky enough to get photographed.

 

Eunbi is still on her desk, and she was baffled when the younger’s eyes were fixed in one place and she tried to recall what did she put in there.

 

Chaeyeon is currently eyeing the guitar that is resting from on wall from the other side of the room.

 

.

 

“You still have Chaebi?” Chaeyeon asked, referring to the guitar.

 

If she already managed to calm herself down a while ago, Eunbi is back into being a nervous wreck again. Chaebi, the guitar, is Chaeyeon’s gift on her 18th birthday. They decided to name it after their first names, which is a thing for the couple back then or just any other teenage couples in general.

 

I should’ve just left it in my condo.

 

“Y-yeah. I just thought I should at least have it so I can play it in my spare time.”
“You’re still into music, then?”

 

Eunbi bit her lip. How can she just throw away her lifeline? Music was—no, is her passion. But like any other children born in a household where your parents care so much for their reputation, she was forced to take a road that is on a different direction from her desired destination.

 

She loves her parents, heck, she really do. That’s why when they told her she should follow the footsteps of her mom, she didn’t say a word and just nodded.

 

That happened after her piano recital and they were gathered around the family table.

 

Eunbi snapped back to reality and noticed Chaeyeon is staring at her, still waiting for an answer.

 

Eunbi cleared . “I cannot just throw away what makes me happy.”

 

Chaeyeon nodded. “Is this making you happy?”

 

“What is?”
“This, your job.”

 

No one asked her that question before. Not even her mom. Perhaps Mrs. Kwon assumed that when she just allowed herself to be under her shadows, she’s fine with everything.

 

But is she really happy? That, she do not know. True, the feeling of self-fulfillment is overwhelming when you help someone but when she tucks herself to sleep every night, her dreams will always picture her standing before a crowd, singing and performing to her heart’s content.

 

And she would always wake up to the reality that it’s just a dream. A dream that remained and remains a dream.

 

“Of course,” she smiled at Chaeyeon.

 

Lies.

 

“I see.”

 

I see?

 

Chaeyeon is now walking towards Chaebi. Eunbi got alarmed but she doesn’t know why, so she stood up from her seat and followed the girl. When she got there, she saw Chaeyeon about to reach out and touch it but stopped midway and balled her fist instead.

 

“You should throw this away now.”

 

Eunbi gulped. Why would Chaeyeon tell her what to do with the guitar? It was a gift. Basica

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter