FOUR.

Pick Up The Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunbi fixed herself a coffee before going back to her table. The three applicants already left her office 10 minutes ago and now she's having a problem.

 

Unlike the first batch of applicants, the three seems a lot more promising. They are smart, quick-witted, confident and professional. 

 

Good Lord, I asked for one. Why give me three?

 

She look at the tapes resting on top of her table. They are labeled Hirai Momo, Kim Chaewon, and Lee Chaeryeong, respectively. For some reasons, she decided to record the interviews. Which is a good thing, for they might help her in coming up with a decision. There might be parts that she unconsciously ignored that may be crucial to the selection.

 

She picked the first tape with the label Hirai Momo.
---

Tape plays.

 

"Good afternoon, Miss Hirai."

 

"Good afternoon, Miss Kwon," the girl politely answered before giving her folder for Eunbi.

 

Eunbi wasted no time and scanned everything in the folder.

 

She's a genius, Eunbi thought as her grades were consistently in the ceiling.  But never always trust the grades.

 

She closed the folder.
 

"I hear something in your accent."

 

"I am Japanese, Miss Kwon."


Eunbi waited for a continuation but there came none.

 

She digs straight to the point and only answers what is asked. No other impertinent details. Nice.

 

"How did you end up here in Korea?"

 

"We migrated when I was 15, Miss Kwon. My father got promoted and my parents doesn't like the thought of leaving me and my siblings in Japan, so we moved in."

 

"Were you able to adjust immediately?"

 

"I'll be lying if I'll say it was easy, Miss Kwon. The people are friendly, but it was learning a new language that made it a little difficult for me."

 

"Understandable. I had to go through it myself."

 

She sensed that Momo wants to ask her something but is restraining herself from doing so.

 

Good. We do not want nosy persons in this room.

 

"This job will require you to deal with people who are under special circumstances that.. more often than not, prompt them to act more than what we can handle. Do you think you're the woman for it?"

 

"I was a volunteer for a mental institution before I graduated, Miss Kwon," Momo paused and gave her a meaningful look, testing the waters if she can continue.

 

An interesting piece of information. Eunbi urged her to continue.

 

"I know people in that place and the people I will deal with if I'll be chosen for this job are different in certain sense. But they have something in common: they need help."

 

"One question, Miss Hirai."
"Anything, Miss Kwon."
"Why a mental institution? Any young, capable graduate like you could've choosen another place to do volunteer work. But why a place like that?"
"I had to ensure one thing, Miss Kwon."
"That is?"
"That my brother is well taken care off."
 
Eunbi flashed a confused look.

 

"My brother was in that mental institution. And I had to check if he suffers the same misery he suffered outside."
"And he  did?"
"With my presence, he didn't. He was well."
"Is he fine now?"
"Probably, Miss Kwon. He died 3 months ago."

 

Eunbi felt like she was now doing a counselling session more than an interview. Except for the counselling part, as the only thing that she's doing is to listen.

 

"I'm sorry."

 

"Don't be, Miss Kwon," Momo heaved a deep sigh. "You see.. one reason why I choose to take my

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter