iv.

Meant to Be

“Is this the end then?” Tiffany asks, her expression inscrutable. Someone who doesn’t know her very well, who only sees the surface of her, might think that she’s the type for weepy, dramatic farewells, but Jessica knows that’s not Tiffany. As loud and passionate as she may be, she’s always resolute in moments like these, strong and steady while the rest of them succumb to tears.

Jessica swallows. “The end of…?” There could be so many ways to finish that sentence. Their relationship. Their friendship. Their—

“Everything.”

“I don’t know,” Jessica says after a moment, the best answer she can give. “I don’t want it to be.”

Tiffany studies her for a moment, eyes searching, solemn, like she’s puzzling out a difficult question. Finally, she lowers her eyes, clenches her jaw, and looks up again, her expression set. “C’mere,” she says, opening her arms, and as surprised as Jessica is by the sudden words, her body is moving already, reaching towards Tiffany, no hesitation, only familiarity and warmth and comfort, things that Tiffany radiates, that pull Jessica in as sure as gravity.

They’re the same height, but Tiffany slumps into the embrace and Jessica feels like she’s holding Tiffany up, the sharp edges of her, pointy elbows and bony shoulders, cutting into her, leaving their mark behind.

“I don’t know what to do,” Tiffany murmurs, and it sounds almost broken, like she’s afraid to admit it.

Jessica swallows again, tries to push down the lump in . “You can’t always know, Manager Hwang,” she says, and it sounds both sadder and fonder than she means to, and maybe that’s a terrible nickname to use considering the situation and – ah, there are the tears that she’s been trying to hold back.

“It’s okay, Jessi,” Tiffany says, and her voice is thick but steady as she Jessica’s hair, and now she’s definitely the one holding Jessica up. “It’ll be okay.”

Jessica can’t bring herself to believe the former, but maybe she can the latter. The present is far from okay, and the future may be frightening to imagine but any vision she has of it definitely includes Tiffany.

“Jessi?”

She reaches out and brushes away the lone tear by the corner of Tiffany’s eye, stubbornly clinging there and refusing to fall. Tiffany isn’t as composed as she seems, after all.

“Okay,” she says. It’s about the only word she can manage, but Tiffany breaks into a smile, a watery albeit genuine one, and she knows it’s enough. They’ve never needed many words between each other anyway.

Jessica doesn’t know whether she or Tiffany is the one who leans in and closes that last bit of distance between them, but it doesn’t matter, only that it’s finally closed, a shard of something cold and sharp in her chest dissolving at the contact, like the last bit of winter melting away in the spring sunshine.

They’ll be okay.


A/N: This was supposed to be angstier and have more of a goodbye feeling, but my heart couldn't take it. JeTi have had more than enough angst. Also in my first paragraph when I talked about Tiffany being strong while the rest of them succumbed to tears, I was heavily thinking of this Complete live, where everyone was crying and Jessica cried so hard she couldn't even sing her line properly and Tiffany ended the song with her line perfectly, smiling, bright-eyed. I don't know how she does it. Also, I almost died when rewatching this live so. Writing fic is dangerous!