(Read) Between the Lines

Tongue Tied (please send help)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As it turns out, the United Nations apparently live under a rock. Or at least, that’s what Tzuyu says when she explains how popular and talented Jennie and her clique is a few days later. Everyone’s jaws drop while the youngest continues on nonchalantly.

 

“Why do you talk like you know them personally?” Lisa decides to interject.

 

“I’ve done some photoshoots with Joy unnie and Nayeon unnie. Sana unnie and Irene unnie like to come and watch. The only person I don’t know well is Jennie sunbaenim,” Tzuyu says and continues to munch on a sandwich.

 

“That’s comforting,” Jisoo says, sarcasm dripping in her tone as her head lightly hits the table.

 

“Wait you weren’t joking about the modeling thing!?” Yeri nearly chokes on her food, and Wendy pats the younger’s back.

 

“No. I’m not a scam like you,” Tzuyu replies cooly before looking at Jisoo, “Sorry unnie, I can ask Nayeon unnie about her though.”

 

“Literally everyone knows Nayeon, what’s the point?” Yeri questions, but is ignored by the group.

 

“Will you?” Jisoo asks hopefully before adding, “I know Nayeon too, but if she catches on, I’ll never hear the end of it,” She says, grumbling.

 

“Sure unnie.”

 

“You’re only nice to both of the Koreas! ” Lisa crosses her arms and pouts. Jisoo shoots finger guns towards the youngest of the group while Seulgi forms hearts with her hands.

 

“Jisoo unnie and Seulgi unnie feed me,” Tzuyu says simply. Lisa nods eagerly, understanding the Taiwanese’s logic.

 

“I feed you!” Wendy huffs indignantly.

 

“You’re Canada, you feed everyone,” Yeri shrugs.

 

“Hey!” Wendy yells back.

 

“It’s okay, unnie. I still love…” Tzuyu says in a small voice.

 

“Tzuyu-ah…” Wendy’s smile brightens like the sun.

 

“Myself,” Tzuyu finishes, stands up and excuses herself to get to her classes.

 

“That was savage, holy ,” Yeri slow claps, impressed.

 

Wendy deflates. Lisa tries to shower her with kisses but only manages to get smacked upside the head.

 

**

 

When Wednesday finally rolls around, Jisoo still isn’t ready when she takes a seat in the middle of the library. She supposes that this is a good idea, so that Jennie would see her right away. 

 

But who is she kidding? How on earth is she supposed to fake not knowing English? It took years just for the Korean to get rid of the accent so that her English would sound clearer, and now she would have to just magically something that’s been ingrained in her system. Maybe she could just over exaggerate her speech? But then again, that would be too obvious.

 

In the middle of Jisoo’s anxious fidgeting, she sees a tall figure in between the large bookshelves. Recognizing the arm shooting up to reach the top shelf, Jisoo pushes her chair back until its balancing only on its back legs, and turns her head to see Tzuyu. The tall girl hands the book she had just plucked out from the shelf to the shorter girl beside her. Before Jisoo can even call the Taiwanese over and coo at her wholesome actions, the shorter girl suddenly pulls Tzuyu close, way too close.

 

Jisoo’s eyes widen as the shorter girl uses the large book to block their faces. A brief moment passes and the book is brought down, and the shorter girl giggles and kisses Tzuyu’s cheek. The shorter girl is looking right at Jisoo with a mischievous smile while Tzuyu looks like she’s in a daze, and she finally realizes who the girl is.

 

“Holy shi--” Jisoo almost curses loudly until someone suddenly blocks her view.

 

“Hi Jisoo, ready to learn English?” Jennie chirps out happily. 

 

“Ah!” Jisoo jolts up out of shock and lets out a choked scream, biting her tongue. She can feel the chair lose its balance and well, she supposes that she’s lived a good life.

 

If Jisoo had one wish, she wished that she could’ve at least died a less embarrassing death.

 

The Korean shuts her eyes, waiting for the inevitable.

 

It doesn’t happen.

 

Instead, warmth envelopes her form and Jisoo hears the slight screech of a chair before she’s returned to her original position. The warmth leaves her, and Jisoo opens her eyes.

 

“You okay?” Jennie asks, her face way too close for Jisoo’s comfort. “Sorry, I didn’t think you were the type to get shocked so easily,” She adds, her face moving closer.

 

“I-- I--” Jisoo’s brain doesn’t seem to have recovered from shock when she suddenly switches to English.

 

“I’m not scary.”

 

. What the , Jisoo just wants to die right about now.

 

“Of course you aren’t,” Jennie chuckles softly, “I’m not scared, is what you’re trying to say,” She says and pokes Jisoo’s nose before moving away. Jisoo’s mouth opens and closes uselessly at the action.

 

“I’m glad you’re trying to use English phrases to improve, but your grammar needs some improvement before we try to even speak English,” Jennie says as she takes a seat beside Jisoo. 

 

“Can I see your test paper? I know it doesn’t have the best marks, but I think I’ll be able to know where to start if I can see it,” Jennie asks and Jisoo tries her best to function like a normal human being when she reaches into her bag to grab her notebook.

 

She almost fails when she looks up from her bag to see Tzuyu from a distance, looking in her direction with an amused expression as she pretends to work on her projects.

 

 

Eventually, meeting in the library on Wednesdays eventually becomes a routine for the pair. Honestly, Jisoo’s just glad that she manages to survive every Wednesday and respond to Jennie with some coherence in tact. She still hasn’t confronted Tzuyu about whatever the just happened the first time she met up with Jennie due to their hectic schedules, but she’ll have to just get to that sometime soon.

 

For now, she has to deal with this.

 

“Maple Syrup, Korea #2, Fake Britain.. Jisoo what are these contact names?!” Jennie asks in between her breathy laughter. Jisoo tries to laugh with her, but feels a bit embarrassed now that Jennie’s managed to snag her phone away from her. 

 

“My group of friends call ourselves the United Nations just because a lot of us are foreigners, or have lived in different countries for a while,” Jisoo explains and J

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter