pineapples with feathers.

Powers Unnoticed

hello hello !! this fic of mine will be my first ever series writing so please comment :). it’ll help me get motivated hehu

——

hyejoo looked across the empty room, singing quietly. ”yeah, you ain’t got nothing on me.” she hummed, the music at an explainable volume unlike what she usually did (it’s mostly just blasting depressing music with headphones at 3 am). hyejoo spun around holding her headphones to her ears, feeling at ease for the first time in a week. the birds outside chirped, singing a melody as if they were singing with hyejoo. the sky was a vivid blue, and the sun shone bright as always.

 

i don’t need your love.

 

if you’re waiting for a comeback, hold on.

 

i don’t need your love.

 

if you think i’m gonna come back,

i won’t.

 

i don’t need your love.

 

if you thought hyejoo was a heartbroken girl (which is why she’s emo—), you’re wrong. this is just her favorite song in her playlist that she listens to everyday. even some tears come out because she’s single and not ready to mingle :(. she leaped back to her chair, the wheels rolling towards the open window with the sunlight set in her room. very different from the usual vibe, actually. most of the time she’d just close all the windows and turn off all the lights, playing minecraft with dark eye bags under her eyes.

 

her eyes glowed a light brown under the sunlight, watching the cars and people go by. it was a normal sunday afternoon—a day where she could relax and not focus on homework or school projects. at the very corner of her eye, she could’ve sworn she saw a person right behind the tree that was displayed in front of her neighbor’s front lawn. she grabbed her headphones, pulling them down a bit as she stared more at the tree, arching an eyebrow. it could’ve been a child maybe, she thought.

 

as soon as she looked away, she saw a flash of light—making her head quickly turn to where the tree was again. there was nothing there...again. she sniffed the air, smelling some sort of pineapple? hyejoo put her face in her hands, trying to smell what the scent came from. it definitely wasn’t coming from herself though. 

 

hyejoo looked out the window once again, her eyes roaming around the whole street. “there’s nothing over there anyways..” hyejoo mumbled. she kicked her feet up on her desk and rested the back of her head in her hands, laying back.

 

——

 

“hey, are you excited?” a bubbly girl asked to sooyoung.

 

“of course i am! why wouldn’t i be, jiwoo?” sooyoung said as she put down a box filled with old books. “tomorrow we’ll have our announcement about our club. i have so many ideas for what we can do.” sooyoung smiled.

 

the named girl jiwoo pouted, having a thinking expression on her face until she just broke out into a smile. “i’m excited too!”

 

the older woman exhaled, patting jiwoo’s head slowly. “you’re literally the best. have i told you that?”

 

jiwoo nodded eagerly like a puppy, throwing herself onto sooyoung for a hug. the two had their moment in the empty club room, laughing their asses off about random things—like for example, cats riding unicorns. their new coming club isn’t exactly like the rest. this club is just to relax and have fun! unlike the others who tried to get that unique vibe.

 

——

 

heejin sat across from a tall, narrow man. she was visibly uncomfortable, squirming in her seat, and sipping from her strawberry smoothie from time to time. she wore a cute, pink blouse with denim shorts. 

 

the man had on a casual oversized hoodie with tight jeans, a bit sloppy and too comfortable for heejin. (of course, she wouldn’t mind if people were comfortable around her but this was a date.) she felt like she wasn’t important. the guy continued to talk and talk, mostly talking about his grades, showing off to heejin. but heejin didn’t like a show off, it was as if he were degrading her.

 

he cleared his throat. “so.. heejin! what do you not like in a guy?” 

 

heejin flashed a light, but sincere smile. “i don’t like someone who wouldn’t let anybody talk or someone who’s ignorant and a homophobe. and a man who’s not ready.” she held back two words before she could hurt his feelings. (pssst. those two words are, ‘unlike you’.)

 

“taehyun, what do you like in a gi—“

 

he started spilling out his opinion before she would’ve finished her sentence, making her hold back an eye roll. heejin was actually in a good mood, looking forward to this date. but this dude completely ruined it. she was a nice person and she didn’t want to hurt his feelings so she tried to smile without it being obviously fake.

 

meanwhile, at the counter with the cafe workers, a certain worker was staring right at heejin.

 

“hey, hyunjin! hello…? back to earth hyunjin?” her coworker said, poking hyunjin’s face until her coworker finally caught what she was staring at. “it isn’t time for you to be in love, hyunnie! you need to work or else you’ll get in trouble.”

 

hyunjin turned her head to her coworker, “but she’s just too pretty.” hyunjin sighed in love.

 

she heard a gag before a customer came up to her, getting hyunjin back in her usual work routine.

 

——

 

the day had ended with hyejoo back looking out of the window. it was completely dark outside but that was fine, the lampposts lit up the way for the stray dog that still tried to find it’s lost owner. 

 

all of a sudden, a strong whiff of that same pineapple made her look back at the tree—a silhouette behind it, as if it were staring right at hyejoo. she felt an urge to go outside and discover what it was, but at the same time she didn’t. it didn’t feel safe. suddenly, one of the lampposts started to flicker. okay, it definitely wasn’t safe. she once read this in the library. “horror movies 101”.

 

hyejoo looked at the clock hung on the wall, 11:27 P.M. she closed the window, looking out from it once again before turning off all the lights in her room, climbing into bed. another day of school will begin tomorrow, she thought. and it’ll be complete .

 

she sighed, glancing at the window every now and then—giving it suspicious looks. that person outside… was it the cause of the flickering light? nah. the lamppost was old anyways, she thought. 

 

soon enough, she fell asleep to the sound of the crickets and owls hooting.

 

——

 

haseul had already gotten ready, she had her uniform on and hair brushed unlike her step sister, yeojin. the girl was still sleeping, her frog pajamas a bit dirty from the girl refusing to wash it since she complained about how uncomfortable her other clothes were. it was an average morning for them honestly. haseul is responsible and yeojin is lazy—nothing much.

 

they— well, just yeojin had at least 25 minutes to get ready for school, eat breakfast, and bicycle off to campus. they didn’t live far away from the school so that was usually why haseul let yeojin sleep for an extra 2 minutes. it wasn’t like that from the ring boutta slide out of their tv like “GO TO SCHOOL, .” but anyways—

 

haseul walked inside of yeojin’s room, taking out her phone to go on YouTube to find something that’ll wake the younger up. all of a sudden, the spongebob squarepants theme song started to play.

 

‘are you ready kids?’

 

yeojin moved in her sleep, muttering a soft “aye, aye, captain..”

 

‘i can’t hear yoooou!’

 

her eyelashes fluttered open, “how can this bitc..h not hear me..?” she asked, half asleep.

 

haseul crosses her arms to her chest, yanking the blanket off of yeojin. “no cursing, yeojin. just get ready for school, you might be late.”

 

her younger sister nodded, rolling out of bed to meet the piercing cold ice floor. “! ! AND —“

 

“WHAT DID I SAY?” haseul yelled from the kitchen.

 

“ ARE WE INSIDE OF A POLAR BEAR’S ? WHY IS IT SO COLD FOR!?” yeojin screamed, sliding out of her room and into the bathroom.

 

haseul shook her head in disappointment, sipping coffee from her mug. just a usual morning. just like usual…

 

——

 

the school bell rang, it was time to go to class. yeojin and haseul fortunately got to school in time—mostly from haseul yelling at yeojin how if they’re late then it’ll ruin her attendance A+ grade. yeojin and haseul went their separate ways, yeojin is a freshman while haseul’s a junior. they caught up with their friends for a bit before going to class. while others ran or jogged, yeojin walked because she didn’t really give two s.

 

hyunjin was seated behind heejin, it was actually a good seat because she wouldn’t get caught if hyunjin were just staring at the back of her head. she fell hard for heejin even though they barely know each other. heejin knows everyone since she’s apart of the student council though—but hyunjin tries to avoid her. she’s too awkward and shy to approach heejin which is very unlike herself. hyunjin is the type of person to greet new students with a fist pump or whatnot.

 

sooyoung and jiwoo skipped class, going to their club room. it was an average size. not too small and not too big (but sooyoung preferred big). jungeun also skipped with them because why shouldn’t she? she didn’t give a anyways. jungeun unknotted her tie, leaving it untied around her neck. the heat in the room was starting to rise—well, for her it is.

 

“is it hot in here or is it just me?” she asked, pulling off her coat.

 

sooyoung looked at jiwoo and looked back at jungeun. “it’s cold. what are you saying?” 

 

she swung her coat on her shoulder. “i don’t know.. the temperature just raised, didn’t it?” jungeun asked, looking at jiwoo if she also felt the same thing.

 

jiwoo shook her head, raising her pencil in the air. “i mean, it is the summer but it’s a really cold day today. literally.”

 

jungeun sighed, biting her lower lip. “alright… if you say so.”

 

——

 

the bell rang once again. hyejoo grabbed her backpack and walked out of the classroom, ignoring the teachers yells. the speaker , making the students stop to listen to what it had to say.

 

“hello, hello, students of butterfly high! today we’ll be having an assembly right at the gym. and i better see all of the students there or else!”

 

being the fast one, kahei (vivi) was already over there, sitting on one of those metal folding chairs. one by one, students came in. haseul got to the gym room after kahei, deciding to sit next to her. 

 

“so.. your name is kahei right? you transferred here from china?” haseul asked, making small talk.

 

kahei nodded. “how do you know what my name is?” she asked out of the blue.

 

haseul’s eyes widened a bit, not expecting that kind of question from one of the “quiet” kids. “o-oh, i just heard it when you were talking to your friends! n—not to be nosy or anything though. i was just at the lockers and—“

 

she paused before continuing. “sorry i’m just babbling things.” haseul giggled nervously, fumbling with her school uniform shirt.

 

kahei shook her head, lightly placing her hand on haseul’s shoulder. “it’s fine, you’re cute anyways.” woah. haseul didn’t know that she’d be a flustered mess around her.

 

students spilled inside of the gym. hyejoo stood up instead of taking a seat. yeojin took two chairs, resting her feet on one chair with the rest of her body on another. jungeun was waiting at the side of the stage, walking backstage every now and then to check on sooyoung. jiwoo had a huge smile, clapping her hands softly at the front.

 

heejin went on her phone, scrolling through social media. she wasn’t that interested in the assembly, to be honest. and hyunjin was too. hyunjin was interested in something else—that something else being heejin.

 

in the gym, two blondes were visible at the middle row. their names were jinsoul and chaewon. jinsoul is just your typical school sweetheart, someone beautiful and kind with a touch of -ness. she’s clumsy and slow, but she can be serious and smart when she needs to be. chaewon is the proclaimed freshmen princess of the school after the majority of it fell for her soft voice and petite frame. visuals basically rule the high school. if you’re pretty then you get popular—unless if you don’t want that popularity.

 

yerim, a girl with a vivid purple hair color, is the sunshine of the school—same with jiwoo. they had bright smiles and they’re both happy! the only difference between the two though is that yerim was born with an “odd eye”. her family thought that it was just heterochromia, but the doctors picked up something else. it was.. an odd case, you can say. it wasn’t too serious, it was just a purple outline that would suddenly appear at random times and make her get headaches.

 

the lights started to flicker, the crowd silenced as the lights came back up again. suddenly, sooyoung was on stage as if she just teleported. it was just like in a snap and boom—an angel descended upon you. jungeun hurriedly jogs next to jiwoo, taking a seat next to her.

 

(jungeun really didn’t know what the club was about, sooyoung just put her finger on jungeun’s lips and said, “it’s a surprise, human!”)

 

sooyoung’s hands were behind her back, her footsteps were heard as she took two steps to get to the microphone.

 

“ahem,” sooyoung cleared . “mic check. 1, 2, 1, 2. can you hear me?”

 

jungeun raised a brow, leaning forward in her seat. but her attention was mostly on the white feather that was at sooyoung’s feet.

 

“what’s up, fellow students! the sun is shining, and overall—it’s just a beautiful day. so, the reason why i’ve this mic today is to talk about the coolest club on our campus,” sooyoung continued, her bunny teeth showing as she smiled big and wide.

 

heejin ripped her eyes away from her phone, interested in what the junior was about to say. hyunjin stared at heejin from afar, sighing as the faint light from her phone showcased heejin’s side profile even more. 

 

“—loona. we’ll be having events here and there, just having fun and making friends.”

 

hyejoo cringed, the idea of “making friends” definitely didn’t interest her at all. she shook her head before there was a familiar smell in the air again. she inhaled, exhaling as that pineapple scent came back to her. hyejoo searches around the room with her eyes, trying to find the source of the smell. it drove her crazy because this scent kept coming back to her like it was a mouse and she were a cat.

 

“have you been used from your friends? tired from the society overall? this will be the perfect club for you. are you still getting bullied? getting beat up from not giving up your lunch money even? well, there’s no more of that. you don’t need any of your worries. it’ll just be fun and games over here.”

 

sooyoung kicked the feather that was at her feet behind her, her pearly whites distracting the audience from what she was doing. but yeojin saw what the hag did, suspicious of why there was a feather there. we aren’t in the 90’s! we don’t use feathers for writing anymore so did they have a pillow fight before coming in here? yeojin thought, the detective inside of her unleashing.

 

“well, that was lame,” jungeun whispered to jiwoo, only earning a soft punch on her shoulder.

 

“don’t be mean! the club will be amazing anyways !!” jiwoo whisper yelled.

 

jungeun nodded with a small laugh, patting jiwoo’s head as the younger had her infamous pout.

 

yerim tilted her head, her vision better than usual. it was as if she was a camera, her eyes zoomed in on the feather that sooyoung tried to hide. she could see every detail of that single feather, even some bugs were found in there. ew.

 

sooyoung bowed, gracefully putting her right leg behind her left, leaning downwards as the crowd clapped. she wobbled off backstage, more people coming onto the stage after her to promote their club.

 

but jinsoul thought she was the only one seeing that same feather follow her even though sooyoung wasn’t even carrying it. there was something iffy with this club leader—

 

and jinsoul wasn’t the only one who noticed it.