023 - retroactive jealousy

Compelling Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Jisoo wandered around having nowhere to go. With a cap and a mask that she brought from home, she disguised herself and sat on random buses taking her to some random destination. She couldn't go to Sehun's house because it would be the first place Yixing would go to find her, what is more, Chanyeol was there, and she didn't want to worsen the situation more than it already did by crashing herself there. She didn't want to go to her grandparents' house either, because Yixing would also find her there, and she didn't want to hear her old people's lecture about being an adult and that she had to solve this problem like one. 

What Yixing had said to her was horrible, although it wasn't his intention to do so. It hurt her terribly. Many people had hurt her with their words but they didn't hurt her as badly as Yixing did. Maybe this happened because, from all people, Yixing was the one who said it. He's the one who repeatedly said that she had to trust him, that they must trust each other. And after all these promises, the thing he said made it all a mere bluff. He made it as if her efforts to trust him, while at the same time also her effort to gaining his trust had no meaning at all in his eyes.

And she wanted to forget all that, but every time his words repeated in her mind, her tears couldn't stop flowing like an open faucet. She felt so miserable, and she was so ashamed of herself.

"Jisoo? Are you okay?" Soojung was bewildered to found her in front of her door. 

It was dark already when Jisoo got off at a random bus station. When she looked at the station's name, she recalled that Soojung lived nearby, so she decided to pay a visit and see if she could stay the night there.

Jisoo wrapped her arms around her waist and asked tentatively, "Unnie, can I crash in here tonight?"

Soojung tilted her head as if making a quick consideration before she shrugged her shoulders and let her in. 

"Thanks." 

She followed the girl inside and seated herself on the couch on her assent. It's kind of awkward actually, Jisoo knew her as Sehun's girlfriend, but they never really hang out with each other. As a prosecutor, Soojung was a busy person. She handled most of the cases related to woman's victimization, and there were supposedly a lot these days. Sehun told her once that she would take her case too once it's on trial.

Soojung didn't give people a friendly first impression that Jisoo once felt intimidated by her presence alone the first time she met her. She didn't smile a lot, but what surprising was that she was actually a chatty person when you got to know her. She recalled when Sehun took her here for home dinner last year, Jisoo thought it would be awkward to be the third wheel, but Soojung apparently treated her much better than she had expected.

"I'm making dinner, did you eat any?"

Jisoo shook her head to reply to her, and Soojung titled her head beckoning her to follow suit.

"Is everything okay?" she asked once they seated themselves on the dining table, and Jisoo shook her head again.

Soojung handed her a cup of rice so Jisoo could serve herself the food, "Does anyone know you're here?" she asked again, and Jisoo still gave her the same reply.

"Can you not tell anyone that I'm here?" Jisoo didn't want her to tell Sehun her whereabouts because she's certain that he would tell Yixing about it. And once Yixing found out that she was here, he would come and take her home. And Jisoo didn't feel like facing Yixing right now.

Soojung didn't say a word at first, it was a good minute of silence before she said, "What about I tell Sehun that you're here, then I also tell him not to give anyone my address so one will come and fetch you?" the suggestion was proposed as if she could read her worry. "I still have to let somebody know that you're here, Jisoo, so they won't think that you end up in Han river, or something."

After a moment of thinking Jisoo then nodded her head to let her do what she thought the best to do. Soojung didn't ask anything anymore and let them eat in silence. After the dinner, Soojung helped her to make the couch, handed her a pillow and a blanket for her to use. She then excused herself to retreat to her room and only come back about fifteen minutes later with a jar of ice cream.

"Ice cream is the perfect remedy for distress," she said as she handed her a spoon, then the TV to seek for something to watch. Jisoo thanked her shortly and spooned the green tea ice cream for herself.

"Sehun said your fiancé is in his place now looking for you, but he told him that you're with me and that you want to stay here tonight. So, don't worry, he won't come." Soojung told her a few moments later.

Jisoo thanked her again. She took a deep breath and just let out with a sigh. It's only a few hours, but Jisoo missed Yixing already. A part of her wanted to go home to him, but the other was still mad and disappointed. She needed a retreat, a time of her own to cool down, even though the whole situation saddened her. 

"You know, I know that we're not that close to being called a friend. But if you want to talk, I can listen." Soojung said again, and Jisoo was more than thankful to hear that. They were not friends, indeed, she might have opened her the door and let her stayed here because she dated her cousin, but Jisoo thought that it would be actually nice if they could really be friends. She didn't have a real girl friend, and Soojung was nice, and she liked her.

"I just wish that I wasn't stupid and careless when I was young. I wish I never did the things I did back then." Jisoo said, she took another spoonful of ice cream and sipped it on . She sighed again to hold back her tears, "I've been giving him so much hell these past two weeks, and he's..." she wiped her wet cheek with the back of her palm, "He's just human."

Soojung her back in silence. She didn't say anything, only listened like she said she would. And for the next two hours, they spent it by finishing the ice cream while watching the news on TV, all in silence. And it calmed Jisoo for some reason. Soojung was very understanding, she didn't pester her to tell her things, she didn't say anything unnecessary, and that's what Jisoo needed the most tonight.

When the morning came, Jisoo woke up at dawn with the dim blue of the sky was overlooked by the window shade. Soojung was already on her working suit, and it's only six. She handed her a frozen eye mask for her swollen eyes and told her that she had to be in the office early. 

"You can stay as long as you like, everything is in the fridge if you want to eat something, and here are some clothes to change if you want to have a shower. Just make yourself like home, okay?" she said before she excused herself to leave with a tumbler in her hand and some files tucked at the crook of her arms.

She stayed on the couch for the whole morning, while pressing her eyes with the mask and just sat there idly. Her mind was blank, but she didn't feel the urge to cry again, so she thought it's a good sign. She'd cooled down. 

While resting her back on the couch and in between her folded legs, Jisoo stared at the ring on her right hand. She had made it this far, was all she could think. She recalled her first meeting with Yixing at the conference, how he had caught her attention with his striking nationalism defending his country in front of the international audiences, and how it left her with a deep impression about himself. She remembered their first date on Myeongdong, and how she got to perceive his views about life⁠—her existence for his life, and how she was smitten by his manner for the whole day. She remembered the first time she realized that she was in love with him. She remembered the first time she returned his kiss. She remembered the first time he said he loved her.

They had made it this far only in six months, and it wasn't even because of the intense meetings between them both. They had made it this far because they communicated. The fact that they spent time without the presence of others by listening to each other, was probably the most pleasant process of all the things they did. She loved to listen to him shared his view about things; about his life, about hers, even about some random stuff. And with all those talks they had had along the way Jisoo tried to reflect, why did this happen in the first place.

The funny thing was she had predicted this before when she told Chanyeol that Yixing was going to flip out in the near future. But when she thought that he's going to vent it on him, it turned out that she got it for herself. But why did Yixing behave like that? Did she have to think of this as a pure coincidence? That Yixing only made an unintended mistake, but because of what? Could his back pain be blamed? Was it really because of the movie?

She recalled how Yixing said something asking her to be a bit understanding, and she couldn't help thinking that was this because she lacked understanding of him? She shouldn't have watched the movie, should she? If she were him, she might have reacted the same if she saw her boyfriend enjoying a movie similar to his story in the past. She shouldn't have spent too much time with Chanyeol either. If Yixing felt uncomfortable seeing them together when he was around, surely he would be more uncomfortable having them together when he wasn't.

Jisoo, you're so stupid. Why didn't you even think about it that far?

She looked at the clock on the wall, seeing it's already five past seven. She wanted to go home to him, she couldn't just leave at times like this. Yixing needed her much more than he had intentionally hurt her, so she decided to put it aside and came back to him. She would just forget yesterday, she would count it as the pain talking. It's not Yixing who hurt her, it's his distress and pain and everything else.

So she slid off the couch to take an express shower. She put on the jeans, black tank top and white long shirt that Soojung borrowed her, she even gave her a new set of undies, and she was just about to get ready to leave when the bell from the front door rang. Jisoo checked on the intercom screen, a bit surprised to see Chanyeol there, but she opened him the door anyway.

"Sehun told you where to find me?" she asked when Chanyeol emerged from the front door hallway to the living room.

"No, Soojung did. I called her and begged her to tell me her address so I can see you here."

"Well, I'm going home now if you're here to tell

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter