009 - a friend's insight

Compelling Affection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

"Just ignore him, he loves to say things like that to tease people." 

Yixing smiled wryly, he started the engine and drove his Maserati out from the basement. "That's a really weird way to tease people," he commented.

"Well, that's exactly his middle name. Park Weird Chanyeol."

Yixing started to laugh, at first, it was a small laugh but then it grew bigger and it only took about five seconds when she heard a guffaw filling the air. She laughed with him, not because it was funny, but because his laughter was contagious.

Yixing had been in a bad mood since a few days ago. He told her about some things in his office that didn't go the way he wanted. Some kind like, 'why can't they work faster? the clock is ticking, people's demand is getting higher, if I don't jump right in, our ships won't be able to pull over. What an annoying bureaucracy.' or 'they say the engine is good, but I don't think it's that good. So I ask them to delay the delivery to have it retested, It shouldn't be just good, it has to be perfect'. From the way he told stories and complained about the situation, giving her a little tip about Yixing. She knew the man was a heck of perfectionist, he wouldn't settle down to anything less than perfect. But for some reason, it didn't surprise her or anything, because she'd been living with many of the ones herself.

This made her think whether Yixing would also impose his perfectionist values ​​on her one day. He probably wanted a perfect partner, even though she wasn't sure what the perfect standard was in his eyes for a life partner. At least for now, Yixing had never said anything about her, maybe this was because she once said not to tell her what she had to do, and maybe he caught it for everything in their life, not just work.

She understood very well that they were raised by their parents in different ways, many of their values ​​and habits might also be different, but if this would be a big problem for them later, Jisoo still couldn't imagine it. At least Yixing didn't smoke, that was far more than enough because she really couldn't tolerate cigarette smoke around her, let alone having a partner with that habit. Ugh, no, thank you very much.

Why was she thinking about it anyway?

"You have a weird way to appease me, Baobei." he remarked a moment later.

"But you like it, don't you?"

He laughed again, "Yeah, I do. Does that make me weird too?"

"I think Sehun is right, we're just bunch of weirdos." And now she laughed it off, recalling how Sehun always called her weirdo all the time. Now it all made sense all in a sudden. "Don't worry about him, Yixing. Chanyeol is just a friend."

Yixing looked at her for a second before he diverted his eyes back to the road, "Nah, he's the least of my concern right now. I trust you." he told her, and Jisoo couldn't help to feel touched by that. She knew it, he wasn't that type of person who would be jealous over nothing. Yixing was a mature person, and he had much more understanding than she thought he did. They're not even a long-term couple, it would be a complete turn-off if it turned to be an over possessiveness in a short time. 

"It's just that," he paused for a second before he sighed, "I'm here, and you're there. And I wish I'll be there instead to drive you around."

"Well, you can't always think like that every time we're in different parts of the world, can you? We both travel a lot, and it won't be the last time." she tried to reason, but she knew there's something more to that alone. Yixing just acted a bit different today, and it didn't seem like him to trouble over a thing like this. "Something's bothering you, isn't it? What is it?"

"No, it's nothing, Uh, well, yeah." Jisoo raised her brow, seriously, what was he trying to say? "Something's bothering me, but you don't need to worry about it. I just miss you is all."

That's a blow to her face. She blushed, but she couldn't understand how he could act so nonchalant about it. His face was still stoic, he looked at her like what he said was nothing when he said it's actually bothering him. She had no idea if he was putting on an act since she recalled he once said that he was good at hiding his emotion, or he was just good at disregarding his own feeling, especially to something that bothered him. But, it's a wow. He was good.

But what should she say about it? Did she have to say that she missed him back, like out of courtesy? People usually did that kind of thing, right? Like, when their partner said that he liked her, she would return him with the same remark. But she didn't miss him that much. She meant it like, she did miss him, but seeing him at the video call was enough to make her happy. They definitely were on the different level of missing each other, but she didn't want to be dishonest. And telling him that she missed him back sounded to disrespectful to his feeling, but if she didn't, would he be offended?

Jisoo sighed. Minseok was right, she thought about things too much. She decided to say nothing about it.

"You'll be fine." she said that instead, "I'll give you a virtual hug so you know you'll be fine." she put the phone on her chest and wrapped her hands in it, and heard Yixing laughed again from the other side.

"You're really weird." She joined him in laughter, and that's just the end of his worry topic.

While waiting for Yixing to get to where he was going, Jisoo prompted that she would go cleaning up herself. She put her cellphone on the vanity desk, then unpacked the suitcase to get new clothes and went to take a shower.

Yixing called her again half an hour later when Jisoo was applying her night skincare routine. When he showed her the place, what he called a condominium turned out to be a penthouse in H Tower, a building that was famous as the most elite residential area in Seoul.

It was a full-furniture residence with Modern European style, it screamed luxury in its every corner. And Jisoo was lost at words on how big the place was. Once inside the front door, he entered the magnificent foyer with a crystal chandelier hanging on the ceiling. Japanese style window walls surrounded it, and a round table with a vase filled with fresh flowers greeted them beautifully.

To the right of the foyer was a large room that Yixing said could keep all her collection of books, because there were two large bookcases that filled the two walls there. At present, the room was filled with three sets of sofas to receive guests, but Yixing said he would take all of them out so that the room could be used as their home offices in the future. Jisoo was unable to close when she caught the sight of a black grand piano in the corner of the room.

"Do you play the piano?" Jisoo asked out of curiosity.

"I do. Do you?"

"Um, not really. My parents made me learn one when I was a kid, but I don't know if I still remember how to play it now."

Yixing then smiled, "It's okay, I'll serenade you." he simply said as he walked out of the room and crossed the foyer into the full-carpeted living room.

There was another big set of comfortable couch in there, overlooking the big-screen television mounted on the wall. Squeezed it was two wood open shelves and large glass cabinets that were still empty, the overall look was really homey. A long high desk stood behind a long couch across the television wall. Jisoo imagined they put their snacks and wine and everything while enjoying the movie night together. And then three ceiling-high window arches lined the walls showing  the view of the Han River and Hannam Bridge not far from there,

"It will be such a beautiful view at night," she heard Yixing commented under his breath.

By the window, a set of checked womb chairs with a small round table were placed, and from there they were connected to the dining room with a long table with twelve chairs flanking it. The kitchen was also big, with complete sophisticated equipment, big enough for the entire catering team to be in it to prepare a big dinner. The residence seemed to be made to receive guests with large families, like theirs. Perfect.

Yixing walked past the long hallway, where it ended with a door to the master bedroom. Like the previous rooms, this bedroom was elegantly designed with a king-size bed, a long couch by the huge four framed window wall and two french drawers. She loved the big painting of cherry blossom hanging above the headboard, filling the entire wall of the headboard side. It made the room look more comfortable to sleep on. Connected to the room was a large walk-in closet with two wings that might have been designed for couples.

"You'll love the bathroom," Yixing told her.

And she did.

Yixing showed her an en-suite bathroom connected to the closet room, showing an open view bathroom that seemed even bigger than the combined living room and kitchen in her apartment. What made her interested was how the bathroom looked united with the view outside with three huge arch glass windows walls.

What caught her eyes again was the prominent large bowl shape bathtub in the middle of the room. It's really a breakthrough, the bathroom vanity was designed for a couple too with two sets of marble top vessel sinks and vanities. She couldn't understand the placement of another couch there, as if it would be a choice to sit there and relax from all the places in that house. But it seemed like this bathroom was made for a place to relax, Yixing told her that the couch might be put there so he could keep her accompany when she wanted to soak in the tub. He made a personal note to keep it on his to-do list someday in the future; what a resolution.

And today's tour ended by showing her the guest bedroom and their bathroom, then a small room that was still empty, and finally the laundry room. Everything was set, Jisoo applauded as Yixing finished everything he had to show.

"So, do you like it?" Yixing asked as he laid down on the couch and the television.

Jisoo jumped on the bed and set herself for the night rest. "Yeah, the house is big, but it's pretty good. When are you moving in?"

"Uh, no, I won't move in here. It's just too big for me to live it by myself. I guess I'll stay in my current apartment until we decide to move in together."

Jisoo couldn't help but smile again. She didn't know how to respond, but she liked how Yixing said the word 'we' in his every resolution. As if like, they knew it's going to happen, like sooner or later. It's their future together, it's something that lied before their eyes. She liked the way he exerted to involve her in his future, like, how she was going to be there or the things that he would like to do to her. The future was crystal clear, she could even see her with him maybe five years from now and he probably could too. She knew it, and he knew it. And all they needed to wait was the green light to make it happen; her green light to make it happen. 

 

Jisoo's days were filled with a series of meetings and fulfilling invitations. The first few days she spent more time on the campus of the Politics department with her research associates. It was actually simple comparative research, but the workload was quite helpful for filling her tenure for the next year. Sometimes she made several calls to contact her team in Seoul to prepare the documents she asked for, sometimes she stayed in the library to write, but aside from her activities on campus, Jisoo spent more time in her hotel room. She wasn't very interested in going out alone, or with the campus representatives despite being offered.

Besides, maybe because

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter