Chapter 1

But Beautiful

It was a cold winter evening in December.

 

In a small and cozy apartment, the smell of chicken dumpling soup lingers, accompanied by the crisp crackling of the fireplace. It was a simple recipe, something that isn't too expensive but exceptionally delicious. With mashed potatoes and steamed vegetables, it'll be perfect to melt the cold away.

 

Jimin turns the stove off and hums in excitement. He is getting better at this cooking thing. The only thing left to do is to set the table. Opening the drawer, he stares at the candles for a moment before deciding that he wouldn't need them. It's not that fancy of a meal and he feared that lighting candles would be too over the top.

 

The jingling of keys on the other side of the door alerts Jimin, who pranced his way over, knowing very well who it is. The door opens and Jimin jumps into his boyfriend's arms, feeling the cool jacket against his face. His boyfriend chuckles, hugging him back.

 

"I'm home."

 

Jimin has been in a relationship with Jungkook for three years now. They met long ago though, when Jimin moved to Jungkook's town as a young teenager. That meant that Jungkook was even younger then.

 

"What is that smell? It's making me hungry," Jungkook his lips as he heads to the table. Jimin shuts the door before following him, hoping that he'd surprise the younger man.

 

"Woah!" Jungkook exclaims, his eyes wide as saucers. "There so much to eat tonight!" He quickly takes off his jacket and sits down.

 

Jimin felt a small pang in his chest. He and Jungkook has been struggling financially for so long, even before they met each other.

 

If he had three wishes that can be granted, the first one would be to win a million dollars so that Jungkook wouldn't have to work so hard anymore. The second wish would be to cook anything and everything with all the foods he could cook with so that Jungkook can have a full stomach for the rest of his life, not once or twice a week. And lastly, he wishes for happiness. He wishes for Jungkook to be happy, so that he wouldn't need to furrow his brows into a frown when he's stressed, the dark circles underneath his eyes would disappear, his smile wouldn't be strained when he's actually hurt, and the only tears he'd shed are from joy.

 

"Come eat, Jimin," he calls out, smiling brightly. There's his smile, which is only one of the billion things he love about Jungkook.

 

He sits down across from his boyfriend, and they couldn't wait anymore. They dug in, trying to eat slowly to make the moment last longer, to keep the spice and warmth on their tongue for longer.

 

A couple minutes passed by until Jungkook asks, "How did you get all this food?"

 

Jimin knew that he'd ask sooner or later, since they almost never get a full meal like this. "I was saving for Christmas. There's enough money, and today is colder than usual, so I figured, why not?"

 

Jungkook smiles, but this time, it's a bit forced with a hint of guilt, "Aw, Jimin. You didn't have to."

 

Back in their old town, it was nearly impossible to get employed, especially with all the high standards. They moved here two years ago, and it took a while before Jungkook was offered something. Jimin thought it was magic when he found out that Jungkook got to be a valet of a pretty well known man who came from a rich family, then soon got promoted to an assistant. He must be lucky himself too, because he got a job despite being an omega. He was able to be a housekeeper in a rundown motel not too far away from their home. It paid less than Jungkook's job, but there is not much for omegas as there are for alphas and betas. It's still better than nothing.

 

~~

 

The dishes stack up in the sink, left unwashed. Jimin just wants to have some time with his alpha tonight. They hardly had time to cuddle anymore.

 

Jungkook's strong arm wraps around Jimin's waist, and he felt so safe. The bed creaked a bit as he moved closer, until his head is tucked comfortably between Jungkook's neck and shoulder. He takes in his scent, missing it throughout the entire day.

 

They stayed like that for a while, mumbling tiredly to each other here and there. Jimin was just about to fall asleep when Jungkook's phone rang loudly. He held back his whine when his boyfriend reaches back to grab the phone. His eyes widen when he sees who's calling.

 

"Go on to sleep without me, Jimin," he said quickly. Then, he gets up and starts to fumble around as he puts proper clothes on.

 

"Who called?"

 

"Just my boss," he said just as he accepts the call. He grabs their car keys and left.

 

Jimin didn't even get to kiss him goodbye.

 

~~

 

The cold morning air stung Seokjin's cheeks a bit, turning them rosy. It only made the omega more beautiful than he already is. With his lovely oval almond eyes, fill and plump lips, and smooth skin, it's hard for anyone to not do a double take. The man is the definition of handsome.

 

It left other alphas and betas with no chance when they found out that Seokjin already has a mate, and even more intimidated when they find out who his mate is.

 

"Taehyung!" Seokjin called out when he spots his husband not too far ahead from him. His mate turns and a wide smile spreads on his face, happy to see Seokjin.

 

"Jin!" He calls him back and walks to him. Like he always does, Taehyung drapes an arm over Seokjin's shoulder. They walk side by side, creating a powerful aura around them.

 

There's no denying that the two were perfect together. Their frames fit together like puzzle pieces, their perfectly sculpted features can compare to arts of masterpiece, and the power that the both of them held individually is insane. Put them together and no one would dare to mess with them.

 

Seokjin has known Taehyung since he was three, and the other was just a newborn. Both of them come from wealthy families, so it's not surprising when they were urged to get to know each other more. Seokjin's relieved when he finds out that his family won't make this an arranged marriage. Moreover, he wants his love for Taehyung to be real, to be pure. And it was.

 

Their innocent love blossomed over the years and Seokjin is living his life contently. He has a loving mate, a successful career, and no worries.

 

However, Taehyung had wanted to start a family long ago. They have been married for 7 years yet they still don't have any children. Seokjin wanted to wait, he just didn't want to have kids yet. Taehyung has begged and begged for years now, only stopping two years ago. He probably realized that asking won't do anything and Seokjin will tell him when he's ready.

 

"Why didn't you wait for me? I even tried calling you but you wouldn't pick up," Seokjin asks, trying to act angry only to have Taehyung pinch his cheek.

 

Earlier, he woke up to no one sleeping next to him, his husband out of sight. In his place was a paper with a short message saying that Taehyung is out for some business concerning work.

 

Of course that already puts Seokjin in a bad mood, but he knew that Taehyung is always this busy. Especially lately because he's been working even on the weekends, missing some of their dates and precious time together.

 

It's not all the time though and Taehyung always apologizes, makes it up to him and he never disappoints. Seokjin loves how Taehyung would always be over the top. He acts embarrassed, but they both know that Seokjin loves it.

 

"I'm sorry. It was an emergency. Besides," Taehyung squeezes his arm around Seokjin tighter to get more warmth. "You looked so cute while sleeping, I didn't want to wake you up. You'll get cranky."

 

Seokjin leans his head on the alpha's shoulder. A whiff of his scent already made his anger melt instantly. Seokjin hates how much Taehyung means to him. He loves him so much, he's scared whenever he thinks about losing his husband in things like accidents, because Taehyung is his life. Without him, he's sure that living would be impossible.

 

Some nights, Seokjin wakes up in his pitch black bedroom, without Taehyung with him, and this feeling that he can't comprehend is stirring disruptly in him. His heart seemed to wrench painfully through small, unexpected spasms. He realized that he must have felt it through his mating bond, and he panics, thinking that something must have happened to his mate. But Taehyung always comes back in one piece, fine and normal, and assured him that nothing bad happened. So the omega thought that it might just be him being too tense and anxious, and the weird spasms must be because there's something going on his with muscles and nerves.

 

"I'm already cranky," he tried to sound upset but it came out more like a sigh, because like it was stated, Taehyung is the only person who can melt all the negative things from Seokjin.

 

They reach Seokjin's beloved restaurant, another part of his happiness. At first, his family disapproved, saying that he should pursue in something more "professional." It doesn't help that the chances of him being the most successful of all are unlikely due to him being an omega. Yes, their society is slowly changing its standards and old-fashion traditions, but the key word is "slowly." 

 

Unlike him, Taehyung is deemed the "crown prince," the heir to become CEO of his father's company. But Taehyung had been by his side the whole journey, and look where Seokjin is now.

 

His restaurant is famous, he's just as powerful as his mate, and he felt equal. If anything, he was even flattered when other omegas came forward to him to let him know how inspiring he was, to show that even they don't need to be tied down by their place on the hierarchy system. Most of all, Seokjin felt like himself. He gets his dream job, and gets the most of out it.

 

Seokjin was going to walk in but Taehyung stood still. Usually, they have breakfast here before Taehyung goes to his company. When he looked at him, he can see that the alpha has guilt written on his face but Seokjin understands. "It's okay. You go on," he says with a smile, but Taehyung knows he's sad.

 

Seokjin sees his mouth open then close, like he chose to stop himself from excusing himself. In the end, he kisses Seokjin right in front of the restaurant and everyone walking on the sidewalk. It made Seokjin blush like crazy.

 

"I'll see you later, okay?" Taehyung said, again with his charming voice, before walking away. Seokjin sees that his personal assistant is already there to pick him up, causing a sigh of relief now that he knows that his husband is safe in good hands.

 

"Okay..."

 

~~

 

Seokjin didn't see Taehyung later that day. After a long day at work, he was hoping to see his husband waiting outside for him with open arms. But when he steps outside there's no trace of his alpha anywhere, not even a hint of his scent, signaling that he's nowhere close to here.

 

The omega tried his best not to feel down as he walked over to his chauffeur. He knew that Taehyung isn't here, but he looked around one last time anyway before entering the car, the tinted window hiding his sad eyes and dejected figure.

 

He didn't make any small talk with the driver like he usually did in his chirpy voice. The chauffeur noticed it as well, and didn't comment, luckily. It was quiet and all Seokjin wanted to do then is fall asleep. That thought dispersed when they passed a particular shop.

 

"Stop!"

 

When the car pulled over, Seokjin quickly got out and walked to what had caught his eyes.

 

It was a baby store.

 

For the past minutes, Seokjin has been trying to stop thinking about Taehyung, but seeing this store made his heart swell.

 

A family...

 

He remembered not wanting to start one before, but now that Taehyung is more busy, he sees him less and less everyday and it gets lonely. Maybe... having a child of their own would be lovely. He'd be able to love another soul as much as he loves his husband.

 

And Taehyung would be so, so happy.

 

~~

 

A couple weeks later, Jimin got some coupons and was able to make something more than usual again for dinner. He got steak. It wasn't expensive, but from the looks of it, it's going to be delicious, judging from the smell that's filled the entire apartment.

 

Jungkook comes home on time, his keys jingling before his entrance. Jimin waits for his pleased expression because the guy loves food. The alpha looks satisfied at the meal prepared for him, but something was off.

 

"Hm, it's look good," he simply said. Jimin pulled out a chair for him to sit down. He pecks Jungkook's cheek before sitting across from him.

 

Jimin dives right in, letting the taste of the juicy meat spread throughout his mouth. Then, he notices that he didn't hear the usual sound of silverware. Jungkook has not touch his utensils yet.

 

"Jungkook, what's wrong?" Jimin asks, forgetting about the steak. If anything is bothering his boyfriend, he treats it as his duty to help him.

 

The alpha couldn't look at him, letting out an exhale. It is now that Jimin sees how nervous and tense the younger man is.

 

"Jimin..." Jungkook began, but he paused, like he's contemplating one last time. "I have something important to tell you."

 

This perks the interest of Jimin. The last time Jungkook acted like this is when... he confessed his love to him years ago.

 

"Okay. What is it?"

 

Jungkook finally met his eyes. "Jimin, I'm serious." Looking at them now, the younger man's eyes were shaking, scared.

 

"This is very important."

 

Jimin is starting to get scared himself too. What's so important to make Jungkook afraid? So he assures him, "Hey, whatever is it, I promise that I will not be mad at you."

 

"No!" Jungkook cries weakly as his hands come up to cover his face. Only his lips were not covered, and they were trembling. The alpha had always been so strong that having him in this state stunned Jimin. Jungkook's voice is barely over a whisper, "You will be mad at me. And I deserve to be mad at."

 

Jimin walked around the table to Jungkook but the latter stood up and walked away from him. He had never rejected Jimin like this before.

 

"Jungkook, you're scaring me," Jimin feels his heartbeat fasten. "If you want to tell me, tell me." Jungkook lets Jimin take him to sit on their old couch.

 

And he lets loose.

 

Sobs. Big sobs erupted from the alpha and Jimin cried too after hearing them because... this is the first time he's hearing this and it's just so painful to listen to. It went on for half an hour as they hold each other.

 

When Jungkook was able to calm down, he went back to not being able to look at Jimin. "You will be mad. Please be mad."

 

"Stop saying that. For the last time, I will not be mad, so don't be afraid," Jimin insists again.

 

He turns Jungkook's face to him and they share a long look. No words were exchanged and the alpha knows how caring Jimin is. With a big breath in and out, he spoke, finally explaining.

 

"You know Kim Taehyung, my boss," he starts and Jimin nods. "He has help me, helped us and... over the years... we... we..."

 

Jimin hears Jungkook's uneven breaths and rubs his back, relaxing him.

 

"It's so wrong!"

 

Jungkook turns away. He looked so small, so unlike himself.

 

"I... I love him, Jimin."

 

~~

 

A sharp slap cuts through the air.

 

With how tense it is, it felt like the slap echoed throughout the entire mansion. Everything is still, excluding the two people standing in the middle of the room.

 

Seokjin's hand is shaking, his entire body is shaking and burning. How he's still standing, he doesn't know. How he's still conscious, he doesn't know. How he's still alive, he does not understand.

 

Taehyung doesn't touch his cheek, which had received the slap from his husband. He looked at the ground, staying quiet, because he doesn't deserve to ever look at Seokjin again.

 

"Say it again, I dare you," Seokjin says. He knows that he heard right, and although he said this, he hope that Taehyung actually doesn't say anything back. He wished that this is only a prank, a joke, anything but the truth.

 

Taehyung gulps, trying to gather his courage.

 

"I love Jungkook."

 

Seokjin steps back, still shaky, and had to steady himself on the table nearby.

 

That explains everything. The reason why his time with his husband had lessen, why Taehyung is consistently gone before daylight-

 

And Seokjin now knows why he felt that awful emotion eating his insides, killing his heart late at night.

 

"Disgusting," he spat out. Taehyung shuts his eyes. Seokjin repeats with more venom, "Disgusting!"

 

Seven years... it all comes down to this.

 

"He's an alpha! You are an alpha! You two can't be together!"

 

No wonder why Taehyung had stopped asking for children.

 

Seokjin never spoke this way before, ever. But it was like he exploded, and the worst came out of him, "You will never have a family! That alpha can't give you anything-"

 

"You're wrong."

 

Taehyung is now staring at Seokjin, but the distance between them remained. Seokjin never saw a fire so strong until now, flaming deep within Taehyung's eyes.

 

"I don't need children. Jungkook is already my family."

 

When Seokjin couldn't muster any more words, Taehyung walked away. He got to the doorway when Seokjin whimpered, "What about me? I'm your husband. Do you not consider me your family?"

 

Taehyung looked over his shoulder. Once upon a time, he loved a man named Kim Seokjin. He might or might not live happily ever after, but he knew that when his lips touched Jungkook's, it was true love's kiss.

 

"I'm sorry, Seokjin."

 

After years of being by his side, being his one and only, Taehyung leaves, forever.