PART SEVEN

Love in Seoul

 

 

“Oh God, you guys are babies,” Jinyoung muttered to the two women on the couch. He had taken the bottles of beer, replacing them with glasses of water, as the two women cuddled with each other.

 

“I just want Lara Jean to be happy!” Seon Joon wiped a tear.

 

“I want her to be happy with Peter Kavinsky,” Hyojin hiccuped, taking a gulp of the ice water. “He drove across town to get her the yakult.” Jinyoung settled on the couch, leaning his back against the couch as he took a sip of his beer, Seon Joo absentmindedly playing with his hair, her head against Hyojin’s shoulders.

 

“I want to date someone like him,” she said. Jinyoung rolled his eyes at his drunken girlfriend’s words, but it didn’t stop him from chuckling.

 

“You have a boyfriend,” Hyojin said. “A very nice and handsome and smart boyfriend,”

 

“Weird how you can never compliment me when you’re sober,” the man muttered, but smiled when she gave him a light kick. “Maybe you girls should get to bed,”

 

“No, we’re sleeping here,” Seon Joo objected, shifting so she was basically lying on Hyojin. “Hyojin is my teddy bear, and I want to sleep with her,”

 

“So let’s go to the room, it’ll be more comfortable,” he coaxed her, turning the T.V. off, taking the water cups from them to place on the coffee table before taking each of their hands. “Come on, up we go,” the two girls, cheeks red, eyes closed, were leaning their heads against Jinyoung’s shoulders as he guided them to the main bedroom, tucking them under the blanket. The two girls instantly cuddled under the warm blankets, hugging each other.

 

“Good night, Jinyoungie, sorry I stole your girlfriend,” Hyojin mumbled.

 

“I’ll be fine for one night,” he smiled, patting her head. Pressing a quick kiss against Seon Joo’s forehead, he bid the two girls a good night and left the room to clean up downstairs.

 

It was nearing 2:30 AM when Jinyoung entered the guest room, settling under the blanket, checking his phone, sending a quick message, before closing his eyes and giving into sleep.


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

“I need water. And food. And painkillers,” Hyojin mumbled, stumbling into the kitchen with Seon Joo following her. The two girls settled next to each other at the table and Jinyoung placed plates full of pancakes in front of them.

 

“Rise and shine, sleepyheads,” he chuckled, placing mugs of coffee. Hyojin didn’t hesitate to take a huge gulp of the beverage before sighing.

 

“Sorry I indirectly kicked you out of the room,” Seon Joo said, looking up from her waffles.

 

“I’m not, Seon Joo is the best cuddling partner, and she was my best friend first,”

 

“Bros before hoes,” Seon Joo agreed.

 

“I’m gonna ignore that fact that you’re implying that I’m the hoe,” Jinyoung rolled his eyes. “Your parents took Hyun Tae out for the afternoon, so you have a few hours free,”

 

“I’m probably gonna head back to the house and unpack our stuff, I didn’t yesterday,” Hyojin replied. The three finished their meal with casual chatter, the couple making sure not to mention Jaebum.

 

“I took the morning off, but they’re expecting me to come in for the afternoon,” Seon Joo stood up. “Jinyoung, go with Jinnie so she’s not lonely,”

 

“I don’t need a babysitter,” she rolled her eyes, but the couple ignored her as they went upstairs to change. She heard the shower running, no doubt that Seon Joo was washing the smell of alcohol off her body and she decided to do the dishes, finishing just as Jinyoung walked back down.

 

“Seon Joo will lock the house when she leaves, ready to go?” he asked, and the girl nodded, yelling a good bye to her best friend as she put her sneakers on. Walking across the lawn, Hyojin unlocked the door as she let Jinyoung in.

 

“I’m going to take a shower, I feel icky,” she said. “Do me a favor? I noticed the kitchen sink leaking, it would really help my parents if you can get your plumber friend to fix it,”

 

“Yeah, I’ll see if he can make it before your parents get back,” he said, pulling out his phone. Hyojin thanked him in advance, running up the stairs into the bathroom, quickly shedding her clothes to take a shower. Realizing that she didn’t have clean clothes, she wrapped her towel around her to make a run to her room when she heard noises downstairs.

 

“It’s next week…I’ll make sure that she doesn’t find out…Of course, we have a room…Yeah, I’ll pick you up next week…See you soon,” she heard Jinyoung’s voice and quickly made her way to her room, changing into a pair of capris and a blouse before heading downstairs.

 

“Who were you talking to?” she asked, grabbing an apple from the fruit bowl.

 

“No one important,” he replied, although Hyojin noticed that he was shoving his phone into his pocket. “I spoke to my friend, he’s not available, but he’s sending someone else,” he said just as the doorbell rang. “That should be him,” he left the girl in the kitchen as he opened the front door.

 

Hyojin settled on top of the counter, her legs dangling, as she heard Jinyoung talking casually to the man, the voices getting louder as Jinyoung brought him to the kitchen.

 

“Cha Hyojin,” the friendly voice greeted her, and Hyojin choked on her apple.

 

“Jackson Wang?”


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

While the Hong Kong native was settled under the cabinet, fixing the leak, as Hyojin dragged Jinyoung to the front porch. “What is that man doing here?”

 

“I didn’t know that they would send him. Plus, what’s wrong with him?” Jinyoung questioned.

 

“He’s Chulsoo’s best friend. Remember, the dude that knocked me up?”

 

“You hung out with Jackson all the time when you were together with Chulsoo,”

 

“And then stopped talking after he left,” she interjected.

 

“Jackson is a good guy,” Jinyoung sighed. “Plus, he hasn’t even mentioned Chulsoo in years, I don’t think they even talk anymore. He’s just here to fix the pipe, that’s it,” he went back inside, leaving Hyojin alone. The girl mumbled a few words under her breathe before following him back inside where Jackson was standing up now.

 

“It was just a minor problem, but you’re all good now,” he said to Hyojin.

 

“Thanks. How much do I owe you, and do you take checks?” she asked, going through her purse for her checkbook.

 

“On the house,” he smiled. “Anything for a pretty girl like you,”

 

“You haven’t changed a bit,” she rolled her eyes. “How much?”

 

“One dinner with me?”

 

“No,” she gave him a look. “I have a son with your best friend, do you not feel bad at all right now?”

 

“Chulsoo never treated you right, we all know that,” Jackson leaned against the counter. “I, on the other hand, was always a gentleman,”

 

“You constantly flirted with me, even when I was dating Chulsoo, and then stopped talking to me when everyone at the school found out I was pregnant,” she pointed out, but his smile didn’t falter.

 

“The past is in the past,”

 

“She has a boyfriend, Jackson,” Jinyoung cut in, seeing that the other man was not going to back down.

 

“That would’ve been great to know before I looked like a fool,” Jackson turned his attention, his smile still there but slightly strained. “Please forgive me,” he said to Hyojin, who let out a snort. “But nonetheless, it’s on the house. It was a simple job that Jinyoung could’ve done himself honestly,”

 

“Thank you,” Hyojin said, opening the fridge. “Do you want something to drink?”

 

“Water is fine,” Jackson replied. “So, how’s the kid?”

 

“He’s good,” Hyojin replied. Jinyoung commented that he had to head back to the house for a Skype conference call, asking Hyojin if he wanted her to bring his work here. After assuring the man that she would be fine, she sat on the countertop to face Jackson. “He’ll be starting first grade in the fall, he’s a smart one. He looks more like Chulsoo as the day goes by, wouldn’t be surprised if he grows as tall as him,” she went on. “Do you still talk to Chulsoo?”

 

“Not as often,” Jackson replied, taking a sip from the water bottle she handed him. “But once in awhile, he’ll give me a call, usually just to ask how you and Hyun Tae are, but since you left for Seoul, only two or three calls,”

 

“How is he doing in England?” she asked. She hadn’t talked to the man since the day he got on a plane and left, but he was still Hyun Tae’s father. If her son asked her one day about his whereabouts, she wanted answers.

 

“He’s fine. He cleaned up his act, he’s just finished law school, and has been working at a law firm,” Jackson replied, and Hyojin finally understood where he got the money from that he sent to her every month. “He also met someone,”

 

“Oh,” Hyojin was taken back, a little unsure of how to respond. “Well…good for him,”

 

“He truly does regret with how everything ended down, and he asked me for your contact information. He totally understands if you’re against it, but he mentioned coming back to Korea for his sister’s wedding, and wanted to meet Hyun Tae,” Jackson spoke in a soft voice. “I told him that we haven’t talked since he left, but if you want his number, I do have it,”

 

Hyojin looked up from her fumbling fingers, unsure of what to say.


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

It had officially been a week since the mother-son arrived in Busan and it was now the day before Hyojin’s 24th birthday. She was on the living room floor, lost in her thoughts, while her mother was playing a game with Hyun Tae, her father cooking in the kitchen. Noticing she was zoning out, Hyun Tae scooched closer to her. “Mommy,” he poked her cheek, “what’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing baby, just a little tired,” she replied, weaving her fingers through his hair.

 

“But it’s your birthday tomorrow! How can you be tired when you’re going to eat a lot of cake and get so many presents?”

 

“It sounds like you’re more excited for my birthday,” she giggled, poking the dimple in his cheek. It was one of the few features from her that he had, and it was one of her favorite ones. “Why don’t stay here with Grandma, I’m going to go up for a bit,” she patted his head, standing up.

 

“Everything okay?” her mother gave her a look of concern, but Hyojin just smiled at her.

 

“Don’t worry. Call me down for dinner if I fall asleep, please,” she assured her, walking up the stairs. Closing the door behind her, she fell back first on her bed, bouncing a little as she let out a sigh, holding her phone up.

 

Jackson had given her Chulsoo’s number last week, but she hadn’t been able to bring herself to call him. She knew that as Hyun Tae’s father, Chulsoo had a right to see his son, but he had lost that right the day that he left her pregnant and alone. She was confused, and didn’t know what to do. Asking Seon Joo for advice would result in the girl getting angry, and she knew Jinyoung wouldn’t show the same level of anger, but he would agree with his girlfriend. She didn’t want to get her parents involved and worry them needlessly with her problems. Who else could she ask?

 

Jaebum.

 

She let out a sound of annoyance. The man hadn’t called or even texted her since that night that he came back from the safe house, but her pride got the best of her and didn’t call him either. She had missed him so much and just wanted him to hug her and shower her with kisses, comfort and tell her that everything would be alright. She held up her phone, looking at the lock screen.

 

“I really miss you.”


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

Jaebum got off the train, settling his duffel bag on the ground to stretch his arms. It was nearly 11 PM and he was unable to sleep this last week in the midst of planning this trip and the fact that he hadn’t talked to Hyojin in a week. He rubbed his tired eyes as he searched the somewhat empty train station before his eyes settled on a familiar figure. “Hey, nice to meet you again,” he said, extending his hand forward.

 

“Hey there, hope you had a good trip,” Jinyoung shook his hand. “Seon Joo has been super excited to have you to surprise Hyojin.” The two settled into Jinyoung’s car and he drove him to his house. “That’s her parents house,” Jinyoung commented, pointing to the house next door, “and this is where Seon Joo and I live,” the two walked into the house where Seon Joo immediately ambushed them.

 

“Mr. Im Jaebum,” she smiled. “I feel like I should be mad at you because Hyojin still hasn’t told me where she decidedly to visit Busan and there might be a connection to you, but you’re the first person that she’s dated since Hyun Tae, which means you’re special to her so I should be nice to you,” she paused as her smile disappeared, “but if you hurt my baby,I don’t care that you’re a cop, I will literally destroy your life,” her words were like steel, causing Jaebum to feel slightly intimidated by the woman in front of her.

 

“She’s totally serious,” Jinyoung said, offering him a cup of water. “And I have to agree with her. Hyojin is someone very special to us,”

 

“I would never intentionally hurt her,” Jaebum’s voice was soft. “I love her.” Seon Joo gave him a look over before turning away and heading upstairs.

 

“The guest room is ready for you, there are clean towels in the bathroom for you. Good night,” she called over her shoulder.

 

“She’s a charmer,” Jaebum commented, watch the girl go up.

 

“She really is, isn’t she?” Jinyoung smiled. “The love of my life,”


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

“Mommy!” Hyun Tae jumped on the bed. “Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Mommy! Happy birthday to you!” the little boy stopped jumping as he sat on Hyojin’s stomach, leaning forward to shower her face with kisses.

 

“Aw, thank you baby!” she giggled, wrapping her arms around the child.

 

“The birthday girl is up!” she heard her mother’s voice and looking over, her parents were walking in, a cake in her father’s hands, her mother recording with her phone, Jinyoung and Seon Joo behind them.

 

“No, I don’t look good, I just woke up!” she exclaimed, running her fingers through her bedhead.

 

Her parents and best friends were singing loudly, Hyun Tae laughing as he sat in her lap. “Come on, make a wish,” her father smiled, holding the cake towards her. Hyojin looked around the room, smiling at everyone around her, but her heart hurt that there was still one person missing from the picture perfect moment. Her mother noticed the wave of sadness on her daughter’s face and held her hand, squeezing it. Hyojin smiled up at her, assuring her she was okay before leaning forward, closing her eyes and blowing the candles to make a wish.

 

‘I wish for Jaebum.’


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

After blowing out the candles, Seon Joo pushed her into the bathroom, telling her to shower turning away. Slightly confused, she complied nonetheless. Returning to her room, there was a dress on the bed for her to wear next to a box with a box. She opened the box to reveal a simple silver chain with a small ruby pendant with a small note.

 

Rubies are red. Sapphire is blue. You are a gem that is hard to find. Happy birthday. - J

 

She was a little taken back by the note. The only person that came to her mind was Jinyoung, but he had never signed his name as ‘J’. Shrugging, she brought the necklace around her neck, clasping it and letting it sit just above her collarbones. Smiling at how it complimented her tan skin, she smoothed out her dress, waving her fingers through her wavy hair before heading downstairs where there was a feast awaiting her. “Oh my gosh, this is so much food!” her eyes widened.

 

“All your favorites,” her mother smiled. “Your father has been up since the sunrise,”

 

“I helped Grandpa!” Hyun Tae chimed in, smiling at his grandfather.

 

“Yes you did,” her father chuckled, patting the top of the child’s hair. “Come on, let’s all dig in.” The six of them wasted no time filling up their plates, talking about their favorite moments and memories of the birthday girl.

 

“I don’t think I’ll ever forget the day that she came home with blue and purple highlights,” Mrs. Cha snorted. “She nearly gave us a heart attack,”

 

“I thought she looked good,” Seon Joo smiled.

 

“Because you had matching red and pink highlights,” the older mom gave her look. “Your mother and I nearly shaved the two of you bald,”

 

“It was the style, Mom,” Hyojin giggled.

 

“I wanna see pictures!” Hyun Tae spoke up.

 

“Here, it’s still her contact picture,” Jinyoung laughed, extending the phone to the child.

 

“Mommy! You look so weird!” Hyun Tae giggled, looking at his mother.

 

“Hey, don’t be mean to me, it’s my birthday,” she pouted, but couldn’t stop herself from laughing when she eyed the picture. “Oh Jinyoung, thank you for the necklace! It’s absolutely beautiful,”

 

Jinyoung looked at her in confusion before remembering the box that Jaebum gave him this morning to give to the girl. Not able to correct her without ruining the surprise, he just gave her a simple smile.

 

“So the plan for today is,” Seon Joo spoke up, “is that your mom and I are taking you out today. We’re going to get mani-pedis, buy new outfits, go to the hair salon, and then we’re gonna meet your dad, Jinyoung, and Hyun Tae for late lunch. Then, you have some free time when you get back, but then there’s a surprise planned for you later at night, okay?”

 

“Can’t wait,” the birthday girl smiled.

 

Everything was almost perfect today.

 

Almost.


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

“Seon Joo and her mom just took her, you can come over now,” Jinyoung spoke into the phone. Five minutes, there was a knock on the door, and he opened the door to let Jaebum in. “Hyunnie, look who’s here,” he called. Hyun Tae came running into the living room, throwing himself at Jaebum.

 

“Appa! You’re here! I missed you so much!” he threw his arms around Jaebum’s neck as the older man held him in his arms.

 

“I miss you like crazy,” Jaebum pressed a kiss to his forehead. Just holding the child in his arms made him feel much better compared to the last one week. He heard someone clear their throat and he looked up to face a man that resembled his girlfriend, and put Hyun Tae down.

 

“Mr. Cha,” he bowed 90 degrees before standing straight. “My name is Im Jaebum, I am Hyojin’s boyfriend. It is very nice to meet you sir,”

 

“I’ve heard about you, young man. My grandson is quite fond of you, but I’ve also heard your last exchange with my daughter was not the most pleasant,” Mr. Cha stood tall, his hands in his pocket, as he held a neutral facial expression. “Why don’t you come in, we can talk,” he gestured for Jaebum to follow while Jinyoung looked at the child.

 

“Hyun Tae, if you tell Uncle Jinyoung what happened between Mommy and Appa, I’ll take you out for ice cream?” he proposed, and a few minutes later, the two left the house hand in hand for the ice cream parlour.

 

“Have a seat,” her father said, pouring juice in two cups before placing them on the table to take a seat himself. “So tell me about yourself, how you met Hyojin and Hyun Tae, and this last exchange,”

 

Jaebum wiped the sweat off palms on his jeans as cleared his throat. He began with the first night that he saw Hyojin in the parking lot and how he got involved when he saw someone was following her, moving on the Hyun Tae and the museum. He left out the night they met at the club, but mentioned how they had coffee and talked the next day. Continuing with having dinner to eventually how they got together and then ended up in the safe house, he confessed to Mr. Cha about he let his anger of his case get the best of him and let it out on Hyojin.

 

“I am aware that I made a mistake, I admit that. Sometimes, my anger, my pride, it gets the best of me, and I end up hurting those around me, but that was not my intention. I love your daughter very much sir, and I love Hyun Tae just as he was my own son. The two of them have made me a better person, and I don’t think I can imagine a life without the two of them,”

 

“The last time I sat down with my daughter’s boyfriend, it was when I found out she was pregnant. Six months later, that boy was on a plane, leaving my daughter and grandson behind, and I have never seen my daughter ever mention another man again, so you must be something special,” Mr. Cha spoke. “I trust my daughter and her decisions, and I can see in her eyes that she still loves and cares for you. I trust that you will never break that girl’s heart. My daughter and grandson are very important to me, and I won’t stand for someone stopping them from being happy,”

 

“I can promise you, sir, that I will work to the best of my abilities and then even more to make sure that the two of them are always happy as long as I am alive,”

 

“Welcome to the family, son,” Mr. Cha smiled.


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

“Why don’t you do something different with your hair?” Seon Joo said, lifting her friend’s long black locks.

 

“Should I cut it? Color it?”

 

“Do both,” her mother interjected. “You’ve had the same hair for the last ten years, change it up,”

 

“I should get blue and purple highlights just to relive my teenage years,” Hyojin giggled, sitting in the salon chair.

 

1 hour later, she walked into the mall with her best friend and mother with shoulder length light brown hair. “It’s a change, but I really like it,” her mother complimented. “You look gorgeous,”

 

“Who’s best friend is she?” Seon Joo winked, causing Hyojin and her mother to burst into laughter. The three women went to different shoes, trying on clothes. Her mother handed her a plain black dress with straps and a lace back. When she emerged from the fitting room, the two women swooned.

 

“I’m going to buy this for you, it’s perfect for the surprised tonight,” Seon Joo pushed her into the fitting room. “Quickly, take it off and give it to me.” Knowing that this was something that she was going to have no say in, she faced the mirror, smiling at her reflection. The dress did look incredible on her body, and Hyojin couldn’t remember the last time she got this dressed up. She pulled out her phone, quickly taking a quick picture, posing and typed out a message, attaching the image.

 

To: Bummie <3

How do I look?

 

Before she could change her mind, she pressed send and put her phone down to change into her clothes from before. When she left the fitting room, she felt her phone buzz and couldn’t help the smile and blush on her phone.

 

From: Bummie <3

Absolutely breathtaking.


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

Jaebum felt his phone in his pocket buzz and he tied the balloon that he was blowing up before pulling out his phone to see he had a text message.

 

From: Jinnie 💕

How do I look?

 

He clicked on the image, almost dropping his phone seeing her in the black dress. She had one hand on her hip, her head tilted so he could see a smile on her lips in the mirror, and it seemed that her hair was shorter and brown rather than her long black locks. He couldn’t hold back his own smile. He hadn’t talked to the girl in a week and it was killing him that he was so close to her now but couldn’t do anything. He was mad at himself for blowing up at the girl, for letting his pride get the best of him, but he was going to fix that tonight. He saved the picture to his phone before typing back a message and putting his phone away, knowing that he would just get distracted from looking at the picture of her.

 

To: Jinnie 💕

Absolutely breathtaking.


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

After her shopping spree and lunch with her parents and Hyun Tae, she was back in her room. Seon Joo told her to rest up while she packed her an overnight bag. “What do I need an overnight bag for, and what are you packing?”

 

“Don’t worry about it, just rest up. I’ll be back later to help you get ready,” she assured her, pushing her to sit on the bed. “So, how has your day been so far?”

 

“Pretty incredible, it feels nice to be pampered for the day,” Hyojin smiled, relaxing on her bed. When she heard the bag being zipped, she turned her head to see Seon Joo about to leave. “Wait, Seonnie,” she sat up. “I need your advice on something,” she patted the space on the bed next to her and Seon Joo complied.

 

“What’s up?”

 

“Just listen first before saying anything,” Hyojin said, clearing . “I met Jackson Wang last week, Chulsoo’s best friend? He mentioned that he still talks to Chulsoo, and that he asked for my contact information. He’s coming to Korea sometime next month for his sister’s wedding, and since he’s going to be in Seoul, he was asking if he could meet me and Hyun Tae. Jackson gave me his number so I could talk to himself, but I’m not sure what to do. I know that you don’t like talking about Chulsoo, but I didn’t want to worry my parents, and Jaebum…” she drifted off.

 

Seon Joo sat quietly before finally speaking up. “If you let Chulsoo meet with Hyun Tae, you have to prepare yourself for a situation where he wants to meet him again and remain in his life. Is that something that you are prepared for?”

 

“I…” Hyojin was confused. “Chulsoo is his father and has the right as his father, but he lost his right to be his dad the day he left us,”

 

“Then you have to tell him that yourself. This situation, it doesn’t matter what I think. Only your feelings and opinions matter,” Seon Joo paused. “But…I think that you should let the two meet. Get the closure that you deserve,” she patted her friend’s hand before leaving the room, leaving Hyojin and her thoughts alone.

 

She sat on the bed for minutes that felt like hours before picking up her phone, dialling the number before she even realized what she was doing.

 

“Hello?” a masculine voice, a voice she hadn’t heard in so long, answered.

 

“Hi,” she spoke softly. “It’s me…Hyojin.”

 

There was silence on the other end and she thought that maybe she entered a number wrong, and was about to hang up when the voice answered. “I didn’t think I would hear from you again,”

 

“I wasn’t planning to, but I met with Jackson last week. You want to meet Hyun Tae,”

 

“I don’t want to interfere in the life that you have created for him. I can’t even call myself his father,” Chulsoo bitterly chuckled. “I just gave him half of his DNA, but that’s it. But ever since I left, I feel so guilty for what I did. I should have been honest with you from the start rather than just running away like the coward that I was,”

 

“You weren’t a coward,” Hyojin’s voice was soft, her fingers playing with the loose threads of the duvet. “We were still teenagers, I was scared too,”

 

“And 5 years later, I’m the one living in a different continent,” a chuckle. “I understand if you don’t want me to meet him. I was just curious and thought that since I’m coming to Korea next month, I could possibly meet him,”

 

“I’m really not sure about that,” she replied. “That’s something that I really have to think about,”

 

“That’s totally fine. The fact that you’re even considering it means a lot to me, Hyojin.” The two were silent, but it wasn’t as uncomfortable as she thought it could be.

 

“I heard that you’re seeing someone,” she spoke up.

 

“Jackson told me the same about you,” Chulsoo chuckled. “I hope he’s treating you better than I did,”

 

“That’s not a difficult task,” she joked, leaning back against the headboard. “He’s really good to me…to Hyun Tae,” she paused in her words, unsure if she should say the next words. “Hyun Tae calls him Appa,” she said, softly.

 

“Oh,” Chulsoo’s tone was neutral as he took a pause. “I’m happy for you. He sounds really good for you, the two of you,” he went on, and he sounded genuine.

 

“I hope you’re happy too,” she whispered. “I’ve spent the last five years hating you, but I think I can start to let go of some of that hatred.

 

“I really am truly sorry for all the pain I’ve given you,”

 

“You’ve given me one of my greatest joys, my Hyun Tae, and for that, I will be forever grateful,” she smiled.

 

“Hyojin,” Chulsoo started.

 

“Hm?”

 

“Happy birthday,”

 

“You remember?” Hyojin was surprised.

 

“It’s the day I found out I was going to be a father. It’s a date that’s hard to forget,” he chuckled.

 

“Does your girlfriend know you have a son?”

 

“Annie is aware that I have a son from a previous relationship, but she also knows that I have no intention of taking him away from you.” Hyojin felt like a burden had been lifted off her chest.

 

“I hope you have a good life, Jung Chulsoo,”

 

“You too, Cha Hyojin,”


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

It was now 7:30 PM and Hyojin was blindfolded. After her call with Chulsoo, she had fallen asleep and was awoken by Seon Joo an hour and a half ago, shoving her into the bathroom to take a shower. “Don’t take too long! Just because you are beautiful doesn’t mean it won’t take me time to get you ready,”

 

After showering, she was dragged back into her bedroom, where Seon Joo ordered her to sit tight and let her work her magic. The next 45 minutes were spent with Seon Joo applying makeup on Hyojin’s face, blow drying and curling her new short brown locks and helping her into the black dress that they had bought earlier in the afternoon.

 

“You look absolutely stunning,” Seon Joo smiled, clasping the ruby necklace for Hyojin who stared back at her reflection.

 

“I don’t know what you have planned, but thank you,” she smiled, turning to hug the girl.

 

“What are best friends for?” Seon Joo smiled. “Now come on, we’re running a little late!” The two girls went down the stairs where her parents were standing with Jinyoung and Hyun Tae.

 

“Why aren’t you guys ready to go?” Hyojin asked.

 

“This surprise is a solo one,” Jinyoung winked. “Grandma and Grandpa are going to have a relaxing night alone and Hyun Tae is going to sleep over with me and Seon Joo Auntie, right little one?” he held his hand for the child, who instantly grabbed it.

 

“Have fun at your sleepover Mommy!” he smiled.

 

“Huh?” she took a closer look at her son. “What do you know, Hyunnie? You can’t keep secrets from Mommy,”

 

“He’s already been bribed with ice cream, so good luck getting any information from him,” Jinyoung smirked. “Go now!” he pushed the girl out the girl, Seon Joo right behind her. “Have fun!”

 

“Seon Joo, I feel like I should be concerned right now,” she turned to her best friend.

 

“You’re worrying for no reason,” Seon Joo rolled her eyes. “But, I do need to blindfold you,” she tied a piece of red satin around Hyojin’s eyes. “Don’t worry, it’s a quick trip. Just trust me,”


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

20 minutes and a few stumbles later, Seon Joo had guided Hyojin into what she was thinking was a hotel. “Can I take this off now?” she asked as Seon Joo took her into an elevator.

 

“A few more minutes,” was her only reply and Hyojin sighed. She had annoyed Seon Joo the entire drive here and received no answers to her questions, she wasn’t going to get any now. She heard the ding of the doors opening and Seon Joo was guiding her once again. She heard a code being entered and then was pulled again before Seon Joo stopped her. “Stay here,” she said and two minutes later, Hyojin heard the door close with the lock chiming.

 

“Seon Joo?” she called. “Where’d you go?” Hyojin received no answer and after a few minutes of thinking, she undid the blindfold, blinking her eyes as she took in the sight in front of her.

 

She was standing in the middle of a dimly lit hotel room, candles lit with balloons floating. Attached to the strings of the balloons where pictures of her.

 

Pictures of her as a baby, toddler, child, and a teenager.

 

Pictures of her in which she was posing.

 

Pictures of her that Seon Joo must have taken in middle and high school.

 

Pictures of her when she moved to Seoul.

 

Pictures that only Jaebum would have.

 

Walking throughout the room to look at all the pictures, she turned her head when she heard rustling behind her.

 

“Who’s there?” she called. A tall figure emerged, the shadows of the candles flickering on his face as he stood with a bouquet of red roses in his hands.

 

“Happy Birthday, my love,” he said in his soft voice that could melt Hyojin.

 

“Jaebum…”