PART SIX

Love in Seoul

 

 

The day passed by in tension thick enough to cut. Hyojin and Jaebum stayed away from each other and even Hyun Tae realized something was wrong when he didn’t see Yugyeom and noticed that Hyojin and Jaebum hadn’t exchanged words. The uniformed officers that had been watching the house had told them that since Go Daebong had been arrested, they could leave the safe house later in the day.

 

“I’m sorry for imposing, but would you be able to drive my son and I home?” she asked.

 

“Are we not going with Appa?” the child asked, unable to keep his question to himself.

 

“I wasn’t aware that Senior Officer had a son,” the uniformed cop looked at the child who was hiding behind Hyojin’s legs.

 

“He doesn’t,” her voice cold. “If not possible, may I get the number of a taxi company. Please?”

 

“It’ll be safer if I drive you,” he assured her. “Just let me know,”

 

“I’ll be ready in ten minutes,” she thanked the man, turning around. “Hyun Tae, why don’t you get your bag from upstairs?” She patted the top of his head, walking to the kitchen as the little boy ran up the stairs. Jaebum had been in the study since their fight, only coming out to grab a water bottle. She picked a piece of scrap paper and pen, about to write him a note that they were leaving but then stopped.

 

‘Would he even car?’ she thought, putting the pen down. She rubbed her eyes, tired from the events and lack of sleep. She walked to the small powder room next to the bathroom to wash her face and studied herself in the mirror. Her skin looked slightly pale, eye bags forming. Her clothes were wrinkled, disheveled as she remembered she hadn’t changed since coming back from the hotel.

 

She was smoothing out the wrinkles in the shirt she was wearing when she realized that she was still wearing Jaebum’s shirt from yesterday. There was the slightest bit of his cologne that she could smell, instantly frowning. She didn’t have enough time to change now and tried to ignore the scent as she dry patted her face. “Hyun Tae, let’s go,” she held onto his hand, her bag in the other as they left the house, looking back once. She had asked the uniformed cop to get Hyun Tae’s carseat earlier, thankful that she didn’t have to go into Jaebum’s car, and settled into the back of the cop car with Hyun Tae, closing one of her eyes as she handed her phone to the child as the car drove away further away from the safe house.


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

Jaebum hadn’t locked himself in the study, but he refused to leave the room unless he absolutely had to. It was now 3 PM and his hunger was about to win this battle. He stood by the closed door, waiting for a few minutes and when he didn’t hear any sound, he peered out. It was a little too quiet.

 

Walking out of the study, it was almost as if there was no one else. He peered out the window where his car stood as well as a cop car, a uniformed officer leaning against it while smoking a cigarette. Walking away, he walked upstairs. Hyun Tae was usually allowed to play video games at this time and Jaebum hadn’t seen him all day. Looking into the room that the child was sleeping in for the last week and a half, it looked bare. As if no one was ever here. Confused, he walked to the other bedroom to find it in a similar state. The bed was neatly made, and if he didn’t open the bedroom closet and bathroom cabinet, it was as if no one ever stayed there. Realizing that Hyojin’s belongings were gone, he ran back downstairs, throwing the door open as he stood on the porch.

 

“Where are Hyojin and Hyun Tae?” he said to the cop.

 

“They left,” he replied, putting his cigarette out. “She asked my partner if he could drive them back,”

 

“What? When did they leave?”

 

“About two hours ago,” he replied, checking my watch. “My partner went back to our precinct. You guys were leave whenever you wanted to today and we were staying until then. Since it was just you, I didn’t see the need to two of us to watch the house,”

 

Jaebum thanked the man, running back upstairs to shove his own things into his bag to run back down into his car. “Thank you for everything!” he shouted to the uniformed cop before turning his attention back to the road. Hyojin had left without telling him on purpose, and it would take him at least an hour to get back to Seoul with the traffic, giving her enough time to leave her apartment if she wanted.

 

“,” he sighed, hitting his head on the steering well. “You really messed up, Im Jaebum,”


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

Hyojin and Hyun Tae walked into their apartment, setting their bags down on the floor as they say on the couch together. “Home sweet home,” she muttered, closing her eyes.

 

“Mommy,” Hyun Tae poked her cheek, causing her to turn her head towards her son. “Are you and Appa fighting?”

 

“Yes,”

 

“Are you mad at him?”

 

“Very,”

 

“Does that mean I can’t ever see him again?”

 

“I don’t know, baby,” she ran her fingers through his hair as the child attached himself to the side of her body, snuggling. She placed her head on his smaller one, pressing a kiss against the crown of his head. The boy sat silently before turning his head to give her a kiss.

 

“It’s okay if I don’t talk to him,” he said softly. “As long you don’t get sad again,”

 

“That’ll make you sad, baby,”

 

“But you have to be happy. Mommy looks the most beautifulest when she’s happy,”

 

Hyojin laughed at her son’s words, not even bothering to correct his grammar. “Why, does Mommy look ugly when she’s sad?”

 

“If you’re not happy, then you won’t buy me new toys,”

 

“You rascal!” she scoffed, leaning forward to tickle the little boy. The apartment was filled with both their laughter, eventually dying out as they agreed to stop. Hyun Tae had retreated to his room to play with his toys after they had a quick lunch, and Hyojin stayed in the living room, her laptop to go over her schedule for the next few weeks.

 

Since they were to stay in the safe house for an indefinite time, and there were only two weeks of school left, Hyojin had gotten the rest of his school work, that he had finished. With his school ending in a few days, she was supposed to look into summer camps to keep him busy during the day while she was at work. However, do to the ample time she had in the safe house, she had worked on her upcoming projects, clearing out her schedule for the next three weeks. After a few calls with her boss, she had managed to take off for the next three weeks as she was planning, and got into contact with Hyun Tae’s school as well to make sure it was okay for him to be missing so much school. After being assured that the recent events would not not negatively impact the child as he had done his assignments, she made one last phone call.

 

“Hey, I need a favor,”



 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

Of course nothing worked out the way that Jaebum wanted. Halfway into the drive home, he got a call from his Captain, and knowing that ignoring the call was just going to make everything worse, he answered.

 

“What the hell happened?” the older man’s voice spoke through the car speakers.

 

“It’s all my fault,” Jaebum replied. “It all started - ”

 

“Where are you?”

 

“On my way back to Seoul,”

 

“Good,” the Captain cleared his voice. “You are to report to my office ASAP and explain to me in person last night’s events. After that, since you are the lead on the case, you will question Go Daebong, who is in our custody, and willing to take a deal to avoid a trial,”

 

“Yes sir,” Jaebum muttered, disconnecting the call. Going to the precinct was going to further delay him, but he couldn’t just not question his suspect. Pressing the gas pedal, he increased his speed. The faster he got there, the faster he would be able to leave, right?

 

Wrong.

 

It was a quarter past 7 when Go Daebong and his lawyer finally agreed to their deal, and Jaebum let out a sigh of relief as he was taken away in handcuffs. Bidding a good night to his coworkers, he was about to leave when the Captain called after him. “Going to see Junior Officer Kim?”

 

That wasn’t the plan, but considering everything that the younger man had done, Jaebum could spare some time. “Just going to check on him,” he nodded.

 

“Very well. Let him know that his request to be transferred to this precinct has been approved by his previous captain and me, and once the doctor’s clear him, he’ll be joining us,”

 

“This precinct?” Jaebum frowned. “There aren’t any spaces that need to be filled,”

 

“There’s one,” the Captain raised one of his eyebrows. “There is a detective here that needs a partner,”

 

Finally realizing what the older man was saying, his frown grew deeper. “I’ve told you, I don’t need a partner,”

 

“And as your Captain, I don’t need to ask you before assigning you a partner. You have proven yourself to be incredibly talented in this career, and I am proud to be your superior, Senior Officer Im, but this case has shown me that you can no longer work alone,”

 

“Why?”

 

“I hope you know that all our safe houses have cameras and microphones. I am well aware of what happened this morning when you came back with Hyojin. Blaming her when she was just following orders? I am rather disappointed in you. Having a partner will decrease the amount of stress that your workload gives you, and as someone who has been married for 30 years, this is not a job where you can work alone,” he paused. “If you really want to work without a partner, I can transfer you to a precinct in a neighborhood where the crime rate is much lower, where you can maybe survive until retirement without a partner. But, if you want to stay here, then in about one month’s time, Junior Officer Kim Yugyeom will be your partner,” he ended his speech, walking away without giving Jaebum a chance to answer.


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

“Remember, no touching anything, okay Hyunnie?” Hyojin asked Hyun Tae the nth time as the child nodded, far too curious with the busy halls of the hospital to really pay attention to his mother. “Hi, I’m looking for what room number Kim Yugyeom is in?” she asked the receptionist.

 

“Room 412,” she replied. “There are only two hours left for visiting hours,”

 

“We won’t be long,” she smiled. “Thank you!” the two walked hand in hand to the elevator. It was just after 6 and she knew that they had to get home soon as they had an early morning. “Come on,” she lightly tugged Hyun Tae’s hand, the two walking to the room. “Hyung might be connected to lots of machines, so you have to be careful not to touch anything,”

 

“Okay Mommy,” he nodded, already opening the door. “Hyung!” he let go of his mother’s hands, running towards the bed where the younger cop was watching TV.

 

“Noona! Hyun Tae!” his face brightened as he sat up.

 

“Hi, Yugyeom,” Hyojin sat in the chair next to his bed. “How are you feeling?”

 

“Like I got shot,” he laughed, causing Hyojin to frown. “I’m kidding, they have me on so much pain medication that I really can’t feel anything,” he brought his hand to the collar of his hospital gown, pulling it down to reveal a bandage. “They said that while they got the bullet out, it’s gonna leave a scar,”

 

“Aw, I’m sorry about that,” the woman leaned forward to hold one of his hands with both of hers, squeezing it a little.

 

“Are you kidding me, Noona?” he chuckled. “All the girls are gonna dig this,” he smiled, learning a light slap on the arm. “Oh, I don’t know if Hyung told you, but I’m transferring to his precinct and I’m gonna be his partner, so you guys are gonna see a lot more of me,” he smiled, poking Hyun Tae’s nose, who was sitting on the bed, too heavily invested in the machines to care.

 

“Oh, that’s great news!” she smiled. She hadn’t known him for long, but Yugyeom was a ball of sunshine, and she found herself caring for him like he was her little brother, albeit at times he had the same mental age as Hyun Tae. She had spent another half hour talking to the man, but when she realized that Hyun Tae was getting a bit drowsy, she decided to bid her good byes.

 

“I’m not sure when I can come around next, Hyun Tae and I are going to be busy for the next few weeks,”

 

“You’re going to Busan, right?” the younger man asked, and Hyojin nodded. “Enjoy your trip, Noona. And make sure to make up with Hyung,”

 

“How do you know?”

 

“The safe house has cameras microphones set up,” he shrugged. “Hyung is really serious about this job, but give him some time on his own. He’s going to realize his mistake and apologize,”

 

“I was just following orders,” she pouted. “And instead of listening, he just yelled,”

 

“Don’t worry, Noona, everything will work out,” Yugyeom assured her. “Enjoy your trip!” he called after her. “Bye Hyun Tae!”

 

“Bye Hyung,” the little boy waved his hand weakly, his head on Hyojin’s shoulder as he was moments away from falling asleep.

 

“Gotta get this little nugget to bed,” she smiled. “Take care of yourself, Yugyeom,” she bid goodbye, walking out of the room, towards the elevator.


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

The door to his room opened again 5 minutes later, getting Yugyeom’s attention. “Did you forget something, Noona?” he asked, turning his head to see Jaebum standing ever so awkwardly with flowers. “Hyung! You’re here…with flowers,” he sat up, his smile growing brighter. “I knew you liked me,”

 

“Well, I have to be nice to you since you’re going to be my partner,” he grumbled, placing them on the table next to the patient’s bed. “How are you feeling?”

 

“Much better than a few hours ago. How’s your - our - suspect?”

 

“He made a deal, so no trial,” Jaebum replied. “You shouldn’t be here,” he waved around gesturing to the room. “He was my suspect, I was supposed to arrest him,”

 

“And then you were put in the safe house for protection, meaning Go Daebong was not your suspect to arrest. I was left to care for you, Noona, and Hyun Tae. I did my job to protect you guys, and if arresting Go Daebong and getting shot were needed to effectively do my job, then so be it,” Yugyeom rolled his eyes. “I saw the fight between you and Noona on the camera feed. You were wrong,”

 

“She lied to me to get me back to the safe house when I could’ve arrested Go Daebong! You wouldn’t be lying in this bed then!”

 

“Arresting him was not your job at that time. Getting back to the safe house was. She only lied to you because she knows you well enough that you would’ve refused to leave the hotel if you knew what was happening. You stay there, Go Daebong would no doubt see Hyojin Noona too, and now you put her life in danger. An innocent civilian,” Yugyeom didn’t care that Jaebum was technically his superior. He was wrong, and he had to see his wrong doings.

 

Jaebum fell silent. He knew that he was wrong, the guilt had been eating at him all day. Taking a look at his watch, it was nearly 7:45, and it was another 30 minutes back to the apartment complex. “Go to her, Hyung,” Yugyeom spoke up, his voice softer.

 

“Take care of yourself, kid. If I’m going to be forced to have a partner, you better be able to keep up,” Jaebum gave him a small smile before making his way back to the parking lot. He got in his car, making sure that the other flower bouquet that he bought for Hyojin was still in tact, and sped onto the highway to make his way home.

 

Getting him in 20 minutes, he ran inside the building, waving the doorman a good night as he pressed the elevator button, thankful that the doors opened right away, taking up him to his floor. Getting off the lift, he stood in front of Hyojin’s door. Knowing she was upset, he wasn’t sure if he should enter the code or ring the doorbell. Not wanting to scare her at this time, he first rang the doorbell. He could’ve sworn that he heard shuffling on the other side, but when the door didn’t open after 5 minutes, he frowned. ‘Is she sleeping?’ he thought to himself, and decided to input the code, taken back when the code was an ERROR. He looked at the door, realizing that she had changed the code. ‘You really messed up big time,’ Jaebum thought to himself, turning away, looking back one more time before going inside his cold apartment.

 

Hyojin was looking through the peephole when the doorbell rang. She saw Jaebum put the code in, and she saw the hurt in his eyes when the door remained locked. She tried ignoring the tear that fell, wiping it quickly as she remembered how much he hurt her this morning.


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

Jaebum had been standing in front of Hyojin’s apartment for almost an hour, taking a sip of the now cold coffee he was holding. It was a quarter to nine, and Hyojin and Hyun Tae should’ve been out of the house an hour ago. Taking another look at his watch, he let out a sigh, adjusting his position when he heard the elevator ding. A closer look and he realized that it was the woman that lived across the hall. ‘What’s her name?’ he thought, hoping it would come to him.

 

“Good morning!” she smiled, inputting her code. “Are you waiting for a package for Hyojin?” she asked.

 

“Ah, no, I was waiting for her,” he replied.

 

“She didn’t tell you? She and Hyun Tae left for Busan early this morning. Poor girl has been homesick for so long, and I guess that vacation that she went on didn’t go as planned,” she sighed, opening the door. “She looked so pale when she came by this morning that I thought she was going to faint. I just dropped her and Hyun Tae off at the train station before taking my son to school,” she added as she walked inside, leaving Jaebum alone in the hall.

 

He stood there for a few moments, confused on what to do, before retreating to inside his own apartment. The silence was deafening as he sat alone before picking up his phone.

 

“Captain, can I get some time off?”

 

“You have enough vacation days banked to take two months off,” the elder replied.

 

“I’m not exactly sure how long, but it can be awhile,” he said.

 

“Yugyeom is on bed rest for a month. I don’t want you working on big cases until you have a partner, and you’re going to get bored if I put you on desk duty anyways. See you in a month,” the call disconnected. Jaebum then went through his contact list before he found the name he was looking for, clicking on it and waiting for the call to connect.

 

“Hi,” he started. “I don’t know if you remember me. I’m Im Jaebum, Hyojin’s…boyfriend,”


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

“My babies!” Seon Joo exclaimed, picking up Hyun Tae so she could hug both the mother and son.

 

“I missed you so much!” the little boy exclaimed, wrapping his arms around his godmother’s neck to hug her tightly.

 

“I’m never ever letting you go,” she showered his face in kisses before putting him down to properly hug her best friend. “And my other baby!” she showered Hyojin’s face with kisses too, causing the girl to giggle.

 

“Oh man, I’ve missed you,” Hyojin sighed into the hug.

 

“Let’s go home,” she smiled, leading the two to her car. Hyojin settled in the front, taking in the sights of her hometown.

 

“I’ve missed this,” she said softly. Seon Joo looked over at her for a minute before turning her attention back to the road. Hyojin had called her the night, asking the girl to pick her up in the morning. She didn’t question it, but she knew something had happened.

 

“Your parents are super excited. Your mom has been cleaning and your dad has been cooking nonstop,” Seon Joo chuckled before looking in the rearview window. “Hyunnie, are you excited to see Grandma and Grandpa?”

 

“So excited!” the little boy seemed like he was about to jump out of the carseat the way he was moving.

 

“Calm down,” Hyojin said, but she too was excited to see her parents. It had been almost 7 months since she last saw them, and that was too long of a time. When Seon Joo pulled into her driveway in the house next door to Hyojin’s parents, she spent very little time unbuckling her seatbelt and helping Hyun Tae out of the car before running across the lawn. “Last person to hug Grandma and Grandpa is a rotten egg!” she called, running next to her son. The front door was unlocked as she opened the door, letting Hyun Tae in first before throwing her shoes off.

 

“Hyojin! Hyun Tae!” she heard her mother’s voice and Hyojin threw herself at her mother.

 

“Mom!” she exclaimed, melting in her mother’s arms. “Oh man, I’m never leaving Busan ever again,” she closed her eyes, hugging the woman even tighter.

 

“Hey there, my little bean,” she heard her father’s voice and she turned around to see the man put Hyun Tae down and spread his arms open. She wasted no time hugging him back as she felt his warm large arms embrace her.

 

Hyojin was born a premature baby, and her father often said she was the size of a bean. The nickname stuck around throughout her childhood and teenage years. When Hyun Tae was born, he took one look at his grandson before letting out a smile and said, “Bean Junior,”

 

“I missed you so much,” she said, trying to hold back her tears.

 

“I missed you too, but you’re here now,” he pulled away to look at her face. “Hey, don’t cry,” he wiped the tears on her cheeks, pressing a kiss on her forehead. “Come on, I made your favorite foods for lunch, and you must be starving,”

 

“Let me take our bags upstairs and quickly wash up,” she said, picking the bags that she had thrown on the floor when entering.

 

“I cleaned up your old rooms,” she heard her mother call as she went up the stairs, the sounds of her parents cooing at Hyun Tae fading. She opened the door to Hyun Tae’s old room first, smiling at the sight. The walls were a sky blue, with clouds painted on the ceilings, animals and grass on the floor. She remembered the day that Seon Joo and her painted the room. She was six months pregnant and spent more time sitting on the floor, laughing and eating carrots, while Seon Joo painted. One of the walls had been painted white, and that was her favorite place in the room. It was covered in pictures, some of her while she was pregnant with her parents, her with Seon Joo. There were pictures of her in the hospital as well. The picture of her holding Hyun Tae for the first time was her favorite picture in the whole world. It was just moments after he was born, and Hyojin was crying, covered in sweat, as she held her angel for the first time. There were pictures from his first Christmas, birthday, and other monuments, like his first steps. There were many pictures of him with Seon Joo and Jinyoung, and then some of the child alone. She smiled at the baby pictures, remembering when the times when her life was simple. Looking over the room again, she closed the door, walking to her bedroom.

 

Her childhood room was the exact opposite of her current bedroom. The walls were painted a pale yellow, her queen sized bed clad with baby pink bedding. The curtains were rainbow printed and her old study desk was decorated with picture frames, fake plants, and old books. Having Hyun Tae at an early age, her room stopped aging as she didn’t have time to re-decorate, and it was permanently stuck at awkward 18 year old. She smiled looking at it now.

 

23 year old Cha Hyojin couldn’t wish that she was as innocent and carefree as 18 year old Cha Hyojin was. Her younger self only had to worry about college and making sure that Hyun Tae was cared for and happy. Currently, her work was the least of her worries, Hyun Tae was an angel that didn’t need a constant eye on, and one of Seoul’s finest cops was running through her head. Shaking her worries away, she placed her bag on her bed before walking back downstairs where her parents and Hyun Tae were sitting at the table with Seon Joo and Jinyoung.

 

“Hey, little one,” he waved at her and Hyojin walked to him, wrapping her arms from behind as she stood behind the chair he sat in. “Seon Joo just told me ten minutes ago that you were in Busan, and I had to come check for myself,”

 

“I know that you two come here to eat my father’s cooking,” she laughed, sitting next to Hyun Tae as she put food on his plate. “But, thank you for coming by,”

 

“Oh, how’s Jaebum doing?” Jinyoung added, and Hyojin groaned as her parents were not aware of the recent changes in her love life.

 

“Jaebum?” her mother looked up. “Who’s that?”

 

“Mommy’s boyfriend!” Hyun Tae piped up, holding her phone in his hands to show them her lock screen to show them the picture of Jaebum and Hyun Tae sleeping.

 

“Boyfriend?” her father choked on his food. “You have a boyfriend?”

 

“I also have a 5 year old son, so I think it’s okay if I have a boyfriend,” she rolled her eyes, knowing that if her father had his way, she wouldn’t be dating until she was 50 years old. No one is good enough for my little bean he always said.

 

“Hyun Tae, what is Mommy’s boyfriend like?” her mother turned her attention to her grandson, knowing her daughter wouldn’t say anything.

 

“Appa is a police officer! And he lives next door to us and he buys me ice cream and plays games with me and does bath time with me and he even sleeps over too,” the little child went on, completely oblivious to his mother shrinking in her chair with every word that left the child’s mouth. Her mother gave her a look and Hyojin shook her head.

 

“We’ll talk later,” she muttered, shoving rice in .


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

It was about 11PM. Mr. Cha had long finished bathing Hyun Tae and read the boy a book and was currently in the living room, watching late night sports highlights. Hyojin had left the bathroom, drying her hair with a towel, as she walked into her bedroom where her mother was sitting on the bed, two mugs in her hands.

 

“Has Seoul changed your palette, or you still a hot chocolate girl?” her mother jokes.

 

“I will always be a hot chocolate girl,” she smiled, getting comfortable next to her mother as she took a mug.

 

“So, tell me about this Jaebum,”

 

Hyojin took one sip of the beverage, savoring the warmth, before she told her mom everything, starting from the first night that they met to the fight they had yesterday morning.

 

“But…” the young girl paused.

 

“You miss him,” her mother finished. Hyojin’s silence confirmed her statement. “It’s completely fine that you do. You’re only 23, you’re still young honey,” Hyojin’s head was on her mother’s lap, and she felt like she was 8 all over again. “You may be young, but when you meet the one, it doesn’t matter how old you are. And no matter the disagreements and the fights, you two will find each other. Jaebum isn’t like Hyun Tae’s father. From what you tell me, he’s much better man who genuinely loves you. Stubborn, but I can see the love he has for you just from your words,”

 

“I really love him Mom,” she whispered.

 

“I can tell,” she weaved her fingers through her daughter’s hair. “Why don’t you get some sleep?” the older woman sgot up from the bed, taking the empty mugs with her. “Oh, and Hyojin?” she turned back, eyeing the clock that read it was almost midnight.

 

“Hm?”

 

“Welcome home, sweetie,” she smiled. “Head over next door, Seon Joo is waiting for you,” Hyojin stood up, pulling a long cardigan to wear over her tank top and shorts, running downstairs where she passed her father’s sleeping figure. She giggled, turning the TV off and placed a blanket on his body before slipping into her sneakers, running across the lawn to knock on the door.

 

Seon Joo’s parents had passed three years ago, and in their will, they had left their home to their only child. Seon Joo and Hyojin often joked that they would grow old in their childhood homes, raise their children there after marriage. If only they knew that Seon Joo would be the closest to staying true to her words.

 

She knocked on the door and instantly, she was greeted by her best friends.

 

“Slumber party!” Seon Joo exclaimed, pulling her into a hug. Hyojin laughed, wrapping her arms around the girl as she stepped inside the home.

 

“Thank you,” she said, settling at the dining table. “What’s the occasion?”

 

“You’re here in Busan after seven months,” Seon Joo said before placing a wine glass in front of her. “Your parents are taking Hyun Tae out tomorrow for most of the day, so that means you are allowed to get drunk and suffer a hangover without to worry about the nugget,”

 

“I can get with that,” Hyojin nodded. “Although, I might need something stronger than wine if you want to get me drunk,”

 

“Say no more,” Jinyoung took out a bottle of vodka and a bottle of soda, placing both on the table.

 

“Now, we’re talking,” she smiled, raising her glass. “Here’s to good times!” she toasted.

 

“Cheers!” Seon Joo and Jinyoung clinked their glasses against hers, taking a sip.

 

Hyojin leaned back against the chair. She should be happy. She was home where her parents and best friends were. Both her and her son were healthy and had everything they needed, yet she wasn’t satisfied.

 

Pressing the home button of her phone, her heart ached at the sight of Jaebum, wishing that he was next to her.