PART FIVE

Love in Seoul

 

 

“Well, this sure is…something,” Hyojin said, placing her duffel bag on the floor as she walked further into the safe house. Jaebum was carrying a sleeping Hyun Tae, placing the child on the couch gently before walking to the kitchen.

 

“Yeah, a little fancier than what I’m used to, but not complaining for a free vacation,” he shrugged, downing a glass of water.

 

“Not exactly a vacation, Jaebum,” Hyojin gave him a look. “Is it just us three here? I thought they would at least send another cop,” she asked.

 

“There is another cop that will be here. Kim Yugyeom, he’s a junior officer,” the man replied. “He’ll be staying on the first floor, the three of us will be upstairs,” he added.

 

“How are we supposed to eat?” Hyojin asked, opening the fridge. “There’s no food here,”

 

“Yugyeom will go out and buy whatever we need,” Jaebum replied. “Just think of this as vacation and don’t worry,” the man went on, guiding Hyojin to sit on the couch.

 

“There is a murder suspect that might be after you, that doesn’t exactly sit easy with me,” Hyojin looked at him, her worry finally coming out.

 

“You have nothing to worry about,” Jaebum wrapped his arm around her. “I’m here, and also the other officer. He may be young, but the Captain wouldn’t have picked someone irresponsible,”

 

“Have you met this other officer?”

 

“His name does sound familiar, I might have trained him while he was on his first year, probation, but I can’t think of his face,” Jaebum answered. “As long as it’s not that really tall kid, super hyper kid I once trained, I think - ” the front door opened, interrupting Jaebum’s sentence. The two adults heard footsteps that were getting louder until they finally saw who it was.

 

“Are you kidding me?” Jaebum asked, standing up.

 

“Hi Hyung!” the stranger exclaimed, waving. “Remember me? I’m Junior Officer Kim Yugyeom, reporting for duty!” he saluted, his smile ever so bright.

 

“I’m going to quit right now, I swear to God,” Jaebum muttered, picking up his cell phone.


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

“Of all the people that you could send, you send Kim Yugyeom?” Jaebum spoke.

 

“You had no problem when I told you this last night,” the Captain spoke on the other end. Jaebum was in the bedroom upstairs while Hyojin and the newly awaken Hyun Tae were talking to Yugyeom. Even with the door closed, Jaebum could hear the young officer’s loud voice that was making the child giggle. “What happened in the last 12 hours?”

 

“I saw his face,” Jaebum muttered. “Junior Officer is very…energetic and jokes a lot,”

 

“He was also trained by you, and has some of the best numbers for a junior officer. You’re going to sit tight with Junior Officer Kim and give him the same respect that you would give any other officer, are we clear?”

 

“Yes sir,” Jaebum sighed, knowing that he was in no place to argue.

 

“Good, now go back to your girlfriend before she gets charmed by Officer Kim,” the Captain chuckled, hang up the call. Jaebum let out another sigh before leaving the door. Walking down the stairs, he could see the young Officer sitting criss cross on the floor, Hyun Tae standing in front of him as Hyojin looked at the two with a smile.

 

“Hyung, do that again!” Hyun giggled, clapping his hands as Yugyeom pulled piece of chocolate from behind the child’s ear. “How’d you do that?” he asked, holding the chocolate in his hand as if it were a diamond.

 

“Secret,” Yugyeom winked, poking the child’s nose. “Aren’t I cool, Noona?” he turned to the woman on the couch who nodded, holding her thumb up.

 

“It’s just a stupid trick,” Jaebum grumbled, taking a seat next to Hyojin, wrapping his arm around her to make a point to Yugyeom. He gave the younger cop a dirty look, but he either didn’t see it or chose to ignore it. “Have you checked the perimeter of the house?”

 

The younger cop nodded. “I also added a few extra cameras that cover the blindspots, and also replaced the locks on the windows and the main doors early this morning before you got here just in case,” he explained. Despite his annoyance with the younger officer, Jaebum had to give it to him; he didn’t think of replacing the locks.

 

“Yugyeom, when will you be able to go get groceries? It’s only 10 AM, but we woke up quite early, and Hyun Tae is going to get c-r-a-n-k-y if he doesn’t eat lunch soon,” Hyojin asked.

 

“If you can make a list, I can go right now,” he replied, standing up.

 

“Give me 5 minutes, and I’ll have one for you,” she said, standing up as well. “Are there any foods that you like eating in particular, Yugyeom?”

 

“Grilled pork belly,” the cop smiled widely. Hyojin nodded, adding extra meat to her grocery list. She added vegetables, milk, eggs, bread, cereal, and fruit to the list before handing it to the cop. “Thank you,” she smiled before picking up her and Hyun Tae’s bags from the floor. “I’ll go up and unpack our stuff,” she said, going up the stairs.

 

“I’ll be back soon, Hyung!” the young officer smiled, walking towards the front door. “Bye Hyun Tae!”

 

“Bye bye, Hyung,” Hyun Tae beamed at the officer, waving his little hand back.

 

“Hyun Tae, come here,” Jaebum said, patting the seat next to him on the couch. “Do you like Junior Officer Kim?”

 

“He’s so cool!” the child exclaimed, and Jaebum could’ve sworn that the child’s eyes were practically shining with admiration.

 

“Is he cooler than me?” Jaebum pouted, and his heart actually stopped for a moment when Hyun Tae had to think it over.

 

“Hyung is just a little cooler,” Hyun Tae nodded, smiling. Jaebum pouted, crossing his arms as he looked away from the child. “I wanna be just as tall as Hyung, and learn the cool magic trick that he did,” When the child noticed Jaebum’s pout, he crawled on his lap, wrapping his small arms around him. “But I still love you more, Appa,” he said, closing his eyes as he rested his head against Jaebum’s chest.

 

Jaebum pout immediately turned into a smile, wrapping his arms around the child. “I love you too, kiddo,” he said, pressing a kiss against his forehead. “Want to see your room? I made sure that they brought toys for you to play with,” Jaebum stood, carrying the child in arms.


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

Hyojin was softly humming a song when she saw Jaebum walk into the room. “Hey you,” she smiled before turning her attention back to her clothes. “How are ya?” she asked. Jaebum was silent as he stood next to her, opening his bag. He took out a pile of his clothes, placing them in the closet next to Hyojin’s, smiling softly at the sight of his clothes with hers, wiping it off before she could see it. He then took his gun out, placing it in the safe that was hidden in the corner of the room, and took his toiletries to the ensuite, putting stuff away in the cabinet. “Jaebum,” Hyojin frowned, following him inside the bathroom. “What’s wrong?” she asked, tugging on the hem of his shirt.

 

“Nothing,” he mumbled, zipping the empty bag and letting it fall to the floor, nudging it under the bed before laying down. “I’m a little tired, I’m gonna take a short nap,” he said, turning so his back was to Hyojin. The girl’s frown got deeper. She quickly put her stuff away, thankful that she dealt with Hyun Tae’s stuff first. She placed her empty bag under the bed, joining Jaebum on top. She lay on the side of her body behind Jaebum, wrapping her arms around his waist, pressing her cheek against his back.

 

“Jaebum,” she said, receiving no answer. “Jaebum,” she repeated. “Jaebummie. Bummie,” she coaxed shaking her head a little to nudge the man. “Honey. Sweetie. Baby. Babe,” she went on, unknown of Jaebum’s smile widening with each endearment name. She moved up so her lips were right by his ear, whispering, “Baby boy,”

 

The name instantly triggered Jaebum who quickly flipped over to face her so he was on top of her, his hands next her face as he supported himself. “What’d you call me?” he smirked.

 

“I called you a few things,” she smirked back, wrapping her arms around his neck to bring him closer.

 

“You know which one,” he said.

 

“No, I don’t,”

 

“You don’t want to play games with me, baby girl,” Jaebum’s voice dropped an octave as his words came out as a whisper.

 

Hyojin had never been called baby girl before.

 

But she knew that she wanted to by called baby girl again if Jaebum was the one saying it to her.

 

“Call me that again,” she whispered.

 

“Baby girl,” Jaebum repeated, lowering himself to connect his lips with hers when there was knocking on the door.

 

“Hyung? Noona?” Yugyeom’s voice came from the other side. “I’m back from the store!”

 

Jaebum groaned at his voice. “I’m going to kill him,” he mumbled against Hyojin’s neck, causing her giggle.

 

“Wait, were you jealous of him?” she said turning her head to face him. Not answering her, Jaebum’s pout said all. “Aw, Bummie,” she giggled once more, pressing a kiss against his nose. “I’m not into younger guys,” she assured him, sitting up to fix her clothes before leaving the bed. “Why would I go for Yugyeom when I got you right here, baby boy?” she leaned in to whisper into his ear, running out of the room before he could react.

 

“Hey, come back!” Jaebum exclaimed, laughing before running after her.


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

“Lunch is served!” Hyojin called. She heard Hyun Tae’s footsteps running down the steps, Jaebum and Yugyeom coming out of the study together where they were discussing the case. “Don’t run, Hyun Tae, you can get hurt,” she called, placing a pitcher of lemonade on the table. Once everyone was seated and serving themselves, she spoke up again. “So what exactly this case?” she asked, looking between Jaebum and Yugyeom.

 

“Remember in the news last week, there was the story of the CEO of Go Electronics Inc. was k - ” Yugyeom started.

 

“K-i-l-l-e-d,” Jaebum interrupted, subtly pointing to Hyun Tae who was munching on his food.

 

“Ah, yeah,” Yugyeom blushed, scratching the back of his neck. “Well, that’s the case. His son is the main suspect as he was fighting with his father before the m-u-r-d-e-r. Apparently, the CEO was going to publicly disown his son, taking him out of the running as future CEO and also was planning to cut him out of his will. Our DNA results should be coming in later today which should confirm that he is the culprit, so we could formally arrest him. But he never showed up for his questioning yesterday, and his lawyer also had no knowledge as to where he is, and the Captain does not want to take a risk,” he finished explaining, shoving rice and vegetables inside his mouth.

 

“Eat slowly,” Hyojin chuckled, handing him a glass of water when he was choking a little. “You eat slower too, Hyun Tae,” she said to her child when he lifted a huge spoonful of food. “The food isn’t going anywhere boys,” she shook her head. Jaebum pouted at the lack of attention, but thinking of the events in the bedroom earlier, he smirked to himself.

 

“So, Junior Officer Kim,” Jaebum cleared his throat.

 

“Hyung, don’t be so formal,” the younger cop pouted, and Jaebum almost scoffed when Hyojin cooed at the sighted.

 

“Yugyeom,” Jaebum started over, “I hope that you act maturely during your stay here. While I hope that the Captain was being paranoid, I hope that you will act up in the event that something happens,”

 

“Of course, Hyung!” Yugyeom said, sitting straighter in his chair. “After all, I learned from you,” he smiled brightly.


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

Hyojin was upstairs giving Hyun Tae a bath and putting him to bed while Jaebum and Yugyeom were in the study. “While Go Daebong is still MIA, he has withdrawn all his money from out of his accounts, which means he isn’t planning on using his cards, making it harder for us to track his locations. We were only searching in Seoul, but we are spreading the search teams to nearby areas as well, just in case,” Yugyeom said, his serious voice much different from his playful one earlier in the evening.

 

“I know that the Captain wouldn’t only send you. Who else is here?” Jaebum asked.

 

“There are officers all over the nearby towns, as well as a few uniformed officers on the perimeter of the estate that are going to be patrolling 24/7. We have an open warrant for his arrest as we have evidence that can convict him. You have nothing to worry about, Hyung,” Yuyeom assured the older man.

 

“Very well,” he nodded, standing up from the desk to make his way upstairs. “Oh, and Yugyeom?” he said from the doorway. “Tone down the charm when you’re near Hyojin and Hyun Tae,” he said.

 

“Are you jealous, Hyung?” the younger asked, genuinely shocked. When he worked with Jaebum after finishing the academy, the older man only showed a few emotions: annoyance, anger, and frustration. He had never seen the older man smile, laugh, let alone jealous. Staying here with the man was like meeting a whole new Im Jaebum.

 

“Go to sleep Yugyeom, and stay alert,” Jaebum ignored his question, leaving the younger in the study.

 

“Good night Hyung!” he heard Yugyeom call back, and shook his head as a small smile was playing on his lips. When he went upstairs, he saw Hyun Tae and Hyojin in the child’s temporary room, where she was reading him a story. Smiling, he made his way to the main bedroom, walking into the ensuite to take a shower. He finished 20 minutes later, settling into bed when he noticed that Hyojin wasn’t back yet. Right when he was going to check, she walked back into the room.

 

“I saw you were showering in here, so I took a shower in the other bathroom,” she explained, ruffling her hair with the towel in her hands. She was dressed in shorts and an oversized t-shirt, but the safe house was a lot colder than she anticipated, and opened the closet to take out a sweater.

 

“Take the black hoodie on the left,” Jaebum said, pointing. Hyojin took it out, holding it up.

 

“It’s not mine,” she said.

 

“I know,” he smiled. Hyojin shook her head but pulled it over her head nonetheless, letting it cover her clothes as it was a lot bigger than her frame. “Cute,” he nodded, satisfied as he lay back down. Hyojin smiled, combed her wet hair and got into bed.

 

“Come closer, it’s freezing,” she said, tangling her legs with his, warming her cold feet with his warmer ones. Jaebum complied, wrapping his arms around her frame, his face snuggling her neck.

 

“You smell good,” he mumbled. “Strawberries,”

 

“That’s my shampoo,” Hyojin closed her eyes, embracing the warmth that Jaebum was providing.

 

“Should we bring Hyun Tae?” he asked. “His room must be cold,”

 

“He’s sleeping with his Yugyeom Hyung downstairs,” she replied, turning so her head was leaning towards his chest, his chin on top of her head. “He has a space heater, his room is nice and cozy, and Yugyeom seems nice enough, Hyun Tae likes him,”

 

“Yeah, a little too much,” Jaebum replied, rolling his eyes, bringing the girl closer to his body. “Tomorrow, we get the space heater, and Hyun Tae can sleep with us, Yugyeom can freeze his off alone downstairs,”

 

“You’re cute when you’re jealous,” Hyojin giggled, angling her head to press a kiss on his chin.

 

“I’m not cute, I’m y,” he mumbled, giving the girl an eye.

 

“I don’t know, you look pretty adorable,” she giggled, knowing that she was pushing the man.

 

“Don’t start something you can’t finish, baby girl,” his voice was husky. “No one is going to come and stop,”

 

“Show me what you got,” Hyojin said, her eyes shining, “baby boy,” she whispered as Jaebum’s lips came crashing down, taking her breath away, making her thankful that she had locked the bedroom door.


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

“I’m bored,” Hyojin said. They had been in the safe house for slightly over a week now and Go Daebong was still MIA. He had left his house and hadn't gone back, meaning he could basically be anywhere. “He probably escaped the country, he has connections. Why can’t we go back?”

 

“Noona, we can’t do that. You have to stay here until we catch him. It’s for your protection,” Yugyeom replied, his eyes on the T.V. where he was playing Mario Kart with Hyun Tae.

 

“There’s nothing to do here. I did all my office work and everything for next week too. I have been in this house for a week. I am a free soul that cannot be contained,” she panned.

 

“Why not I take Hyojin out for the night?” Jaebum proposed. “We can catch a movie, stay at a hotel nearby and then be back by breakfast,”

 

“No can do,” the younger male replied. “Plus, you would leave me alone with your son?”

 

“My son loves you more than he loves me right now, so yeah, I would,” Hyojin piped up. “Please? Please, please, please? I will literally give you $50,”

 

“I’m an officer of the law. You are trying to bribe me. You are bringing a police officer,”

 

“Are you going to arrest me?” She gave him a look. “I am desperate here. I will literally do anything,”

 

Yugyeom paused the game, turning around to face the woman. He looked behind her where Jaebum was standing, nodding. “You have to cook grilled pork belly for dinner tomorrow, and please promise not to tell the Captain because he will fire me,”

 

“That’s it? Oh my God, thank you!” she jumped up in happiness, leaning forward to press a kiss on his cheek before running upstairs. “I’ll go pack an overnight bag for us!” she called. Yugyeom smiled, his fingers on his cheek where Hyojin kissed him before noticing Jaebum’s cold stare.

 

“I didn’t do anything!” he held both his hands up before turning back to the T.V. “Come on, let’s get back to the game before your Appa attacks me,” he joked with Hyun Tae albeit uneasy with the fact that he could feel Jaebum burning a hole into his back.

 

“I take that you’re excited,” Jaebum strolled into the bedroom, his hands in his pocket.

 

“I can’t wait for a change of scenery,” she explained, zipping the bag with clothes for her and Jaebum. “When do we leave?”

 

“Calm down,” he chuckled. “It’s only 2 PM,”

 

“This is going to be your first date, you know,” she smiled. “I’ll cook dinner for the boys, leave that for whenever they’re hungry, and then we’ll head out,” she patted Jaebum’s cheek, giving him a quick kiss before heading back down.

 

A few hours later, the couple left in their car, promising to keep Yugyeom updated as they bid Hyun Tae goodbye, who was excited to spend the night with his beloved Hyung. They caught a movie and dinner before Jaebum drove them to a hotel where he called ahead for a reservation.

 

“This room is fabulous, how much did it cost?” Hyojin’s jaw dropped with the bag on the floor as she walked out to the hotel room balcony, taking in the sight outside. “I thought you could only get a real sight in Seoul, but this is absolutely breathtaking,”

 

Jaebum smiled, walking behind her to wrap his arms around her waist, placing his chin on her shoulder. “I’m glad you like it,” he said, pressing a light kiss on her jawline. I was feeling kind of had that we didn’t bring Hyun Tae with us,”

 

“I’m happy. I love that kid with all my heart, but I need some me time,” Hyojin sighed. “Still love you, Hyunnie,” she leaned back to Jaebum’s warmth, closing her eyes. His hands moved from her waist to her shoulders as he began massaging them. “Oh, that feels really good,” she sighed as she let Jaebum work his magic. His hands moved down from the base of her neck to her shoulders, further down her back and then to her arms, slightly massaging them as well before interlocking his fingers with hers, pressing light kisses on her neck. “Stop teasing,” Hyojin let out a whine, turning around to wrap her arms around his neck, bringing his lips closer to capture them with her.

 

“Let’s go back inside,” Jaebum pulled away slightly. He dragged her inside, only letting her close the balcony door before pressing her against the wall, kissing her with much more passion than before. Hyojin felt herself heat up, quickly shrugging her jacket off to throw on the floor before taking Jaebum’s hands to guide him towards the bed, shoving him slightly so he was sitting on the edge, climbing over so she was straddling him. “Hyojin time?” he asked, his eyes dark with lust.

 

“Hyojin time,” she nodded, her eyes shining as she captured her lips with his.


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

It was 3 AM when Hyojin was awaken by Jaebum’s phone ringing. She blinked her eyes, taking a few moments to remember where she was, before locating Jaebum’s phone still in his jeans pocket. She sat up, removing Jaebum’s arm from her waist and picking up his button down from before, quickly putting it on before making her way to pick the jeans from the floor, taking Jaebum’s phone out.

 

Caller ID: Junior Officer Kim Yugyeom

 

“Still so formal,” she shook her head before walking into the bathroom to answer the phone. “Hi, Yugyeom,”

 

“Noona, what’s the name of the hotel that you’re staying in?” the young man spoke, his voice clear of his usual playfulness.

 

“Lotte City Hotel Daejeon,” she paused, sensing something was amiss. “What’s wrong?”

 

“We’re not sure yet, but someone called the local precinct saying that they saw someone in the hotel that may be Go Daebong. We’re going to send officers - they won’t be in uniform - to get you and Hyung out of the building and back to the safe house before we move in on him,” he answered, and Hyojin could hear him moving about. Before she could say anything, he started talking again. “Don’t worry Noona, Hyun Tae is safe. There are two uniformed officers watching the house, and I’ve requested two more arrive to the safe house to watch Hyun Tae. Hyung may the lead on the case, but my first priority to get you guys back safe and then arresting Go Daebong’s . Be ready in 10 minutes, my people are on the way. Hyung will recognize them - they’re cops from his precinct coming to transport you,” he said before hanging up. Hyojin immediately ran out of the bathroom and pounced onto the bed to wake Jaebum up.

 

“Jae, quick get up,”

 

“What?” he mumbled. “Go back to sleep, it’s still night time,” he tried pulling her against him but she squirmed away.

 

“Jaebum, get up. We need to leave right now,” she said, hoping he would sense her urge.

 

“I’m sleepy,” he whined, snuggling into the blanket. Hyojin was panicking. If she told him the truth, he would refuse the leave the hotel, insisting that he stay and arrest the suspect as the lead officer on the case, and despite him being Yugyeom’s superior, she knew she had to follow Yugyeom’s orders.

 

“Something’s wrong with Hyun Tae,” she blurted out, instantly causing Jaebum to sit up. “Yugyeom just called, there are two cops coming to transport us to the safe house where a doctor is coming as well, they’ll be here in 10 minutes, quickly get ready,” she sighed in relief when he got out of bed, putting his clothes on, but also slightly guilty, knowing that he would be mad once he found out what was really happening. “Oh, your shirt,” she remembered that she had worn in instead of looking for her own. She reached for the first button but was stopped.

 

“Keep it on, you look good,” Jaebum smirked before moving to grab his extra shirt from the carry on bag. “I’m going to kill Yugyeom if he did something to get Hyun Tae sick,” he grumbled, putting his shoes on. Hyojin stayed silent, slipping into her jeans and jacket. When there was knocking on the door, Jaebum stood up.

 

“Only open if you know them from your precinct,” Hyojin called, slipping into her boots. When she didn’t hear an answer, she ran towards the door, almost falling in relief when she saw two men talking to Jaebum comfortably before remembering her lie. “Uh, babe,” she spoke up to interrupt. “Why don’t you make sure you have everything you brought,” she pointed towards the bag, thankful he complied, before taking a step closer to the officers. “You can’t tell him that Go Daebong may be here, or else he isn’t going to leave until he arrests himself, and the Captain will fire both him and Yugyeom,” she kept her voice low, glancing back. The men nodded and she moved back. “Ready?” she asked Jaebum, who gave her a thumbs up. The left the room and Jaebum turned left to the elevators before turning back.

 

“Where are you guys going?” he asked.

 

“Stairs,” one of the officers replied. “Elevator maintenance is going on,”

 

“At 3 in the morning?”

 

“Who uses the elevator at 3 AM?” the officer replied. “It’s the best time,” he continued, shrugging, before pointing to the staircase. “Let’s go. You guys can drive your car back, but one of us will ride with you,” Hyojin was thankful that Jaebum was still half asleep as he wasn’t as alert as usual to question what was happening, not alert enough to realize how nervous she was. When they got to the car, he tossed his key to the officer.

 

“I’m still drowsy, I don’t think it’s safe if I drive,” he said. “Mind if you drive?” the officer nodded, getting into the driver seat as Hyojin and Jaebum got into the back, the other officer getting in his own car before they all left the parking lot. Hyoji let out the breath she didn’t even know she was holding, thankful that they made it out of the parking lot without Go Daebong doing something. So relieved that when Jaebum brought her head against his shoulder, advising her to sleep, she complied.


 

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧


 

When Hyojin came to, she was no longer in the car.

 

She was in the bedroom back at the safe house and reaching for her phone, she saw that it was 5 AM. She sat up, yawning, as she stretched her arms, letting out a tiny scream when she noticed Jaebum sitting in an armchair in the corner of the room. “Holy , you scared me,” she placed her hand against her chest.

 

“Hyun Tae was perfectly fine, sleeping in his bed, when we arrived,” Jaebum spoke, his voice cold. Hyojin was silent, knowing that Jaebum found out what was happening.

 

“Jaebum, - ” she started.

 

“Go Daebong was my case,” he started, his voice low. “He was my suspect, he was supposed to be my arrest! He’s arrested, but I have a junior officer in the hospital with a gunshot wound. A junior officer that was supposed to be here, protecting us,” the words clicked in her brain, and she stood up, her eyes widening.

 

“Yugyeom, oh my gosh,”

 

“I was there,” his voice was still low, and it was scaring her. “I could’ve arrest him when I was there. Why didn’t you tell me?”

 

“Yugyeom said we had to get back to the safe house,” she managed to whisper. Her vision was blurring as everything was overwhelming her.

 

“I am his superior!” he shouted. “He wasn’t working the case! I was!” he ruffled his hair in anger, pacing the room. “I can’t wait to explain to the Captain that while I was supposed to at a safe house, my girlfriend and I decided to go to a hotel for the night, the hotel where our suspect was, and instead of arresting him, I came back to the safe house and let the rookie do my job, and now he’s in the hospital,” he shot a look to Hyojin who was fumbling with her fingers, shaking in her place as hot tears were falling down her face.

 

“I’m sorry, I didn’t know - ”

 

“Which is why you should have told me! I’m a cop, I’m trained for these situations,” he spoke in a harsh tone without and before realizing, adding a “Hope you’re happy,” before leaving the room.

 

The door slammed as Hyojin fell to the floor, bringing her knees to her chest to muffle her sobs as her breathing increased, Jaebum too far from the door to realize in his anger what he had done to the girl.