Icarus

Inane

Chapter Three:

       “You did what!” Sian’s father screamed at their weekly dinner.

       Sian’s father was a busy man, but to look like the caring father he claimed to be, he scheduled weekly dinners with his two children. And so, that’s what brought Sian where she was, in the red dinning room sitting across from Sihyuk with her father at the head of the mahogany table that could fit a family of seven.

       Sian shot her older brother a death glare before stabbing her silver knife into her steak.

       “They deserved it,” Sian muttered. As much as she always wanted to impress her dad, the fact that he was reprimanding her for something she believed wasn’t wrong pissed her off. She actually wasn’t planning on telling her dad because she knew how he would react, but Sihyuk’s big mouth just had to let it slip.

       Their father never got angry when Sikhyuk killed other Elite’s cards off, so that made Sian even angrier.

       “How much more must you destroy the Lee family’s reputation! Even your mother didn’t have an attitude like yours! She saved people through words!” their father slammed his palms against the table.

       Sian scoffed. She regretted it the second she did it.

       Sian’s father slammed his fist on the table again.

       “You dare disrespect me!” he yelled.

       Sian bit her tongue that was forcing to betray her.

       Sihyuk grinned before putting on a fake frown.

       “Father,” Sihyuk sighed. “I apologize on Sian’s behalf. She’s still young. She has much to learn. I’ll try harder to make sure she lives up to your expectations,” Sihyuk bowed at his father from his chair.

       This seemed to calm him down.

       In others’ eyes, it would seem like Sihyuk was helping his little sister, but in truth, he was just trying to spite her.

       Sian clenched her fists.

       Don’t do it, Sian. Don’t lose your damn tem—

       “Goodness, Sihyuk. Sian is already all grown up. There isn’t much more you can do. I’ve failed as a father to that little wretched brat,” Sian’s father spat. His eyes traveled to her bandaged finger. “And look at that, she’s broken another finger! She’s probably broken ribs again too! What a disgrace.”

       It was funny to Sian how he didn’t even notice her black eye.

       Sian’s father shook his head in distaste and stood from his seat, but Sian beat him to it.

       Sian slammed her palms onto the table, causing her glass to tip over and shatter onto the floor. Sian father and Sihyuk jumped at her movements.

       “What did you just d—”

       “I apologize, Father,” Sian spoke through clenched teeth.

       No matter what she did, her father would never be satisfied. It was clear to her now. Why did she have to torture herself by putting up with all of this bull. Sian knew she was better than her father and Sihyuk.

       Sian’s father scoffed.

       “For what?” he rolled his eyes, taking a seat. He gestured at a maid to clean up the mess.

       “I apologize that you failed at being a father,” Sian smirked. “Because you really ing .”

       “W-What!” Sian’s father’s eyes widened in anger.

       Sihyuk stifled a laugh.

       “Y-You!” he jammed a finger at her direction. “You don’t deserve to be here!” he yelled. “You ungrateful brat! You—”

       “You clearly won’t show me affection and love until I wield my first card, which you know will never happen,” Sian fought back tears. “Elites are to find their first cards before the age of eleven. I’m seventeen now. It’s obvious, isn’t it?” Sian took in a deep breath. “I’ll always remain an Inane. Meaning, I’ll always be hated by you. I’ll always be another stain on your perfect record. Well, you know what, Father? I’ll make sure to make that stain grow so others can see what a ed up person you really are.”

       “You indecent brat!” Sian’s father rose from his chair and grabbed his glass of wine and chucked it at his daughter.

       Sian saw it coming but didn’t dodge. She let the glass hit her and break against her skin. She let it shatter like the love she had for her father. She let it shatter like that hope she had that her father would ever say that he loved her. She let it shatter and cut her. She let it shatter so she could truly feel the pain her father was forcing upon her.

       It was Sian’s wake up call.

       Her father didn’t love her and never would.

       “You’re right. I’ll never love an Inane like you. Your mother was enough. If you ever want my acceptance, then go and bring me a card that you’re able to wield. Then we’ll talk,” Sian’s father turned around and walked out of the dining room.

       Sihyuk chuckled and followed him out.

       Sian bit her bottom lip, letting a single tear get mixed in with the red wine and blood that was splattered all over her face.

       Sian’s father had never confirmed her thoughts until now.

       She let a small cry escape her lips, but soon it turned into a dark and pained laugh that frightened the maids and butlers, causing them to leave the dining room and the broken Inane.

 

 

       Sian walked down the stone halls of the academy with her head hung low. It had been two weeks since the dinner she had with her father. She had been kicked out of their “family” dinners. It was now only her father and Sihyuk that had dinners. Maybe that was why when Sian looked up, she saw Sihyuk and her father walking alongside the headmaster and professors of Sibylline Academy. They were probably in a meeting, a meeting that they clearly didn’t want Sian to be a part of.

       Sian bit her tongue. They hadn’t noticed her yet, allowing her to listen in on their conversation.

       “We’ve managed to acquire an EXO card for display. It’s been locked away in the Grand Museum,” Headmaster Shin smiled.

       Sian’s father grinned and nodded, looking at Sihyuk with pride.

       “It is finally your time to become the wielder of the EXO Cards, son. Make your father proud.”

       Sihyuk smirked.

       “Of course, Father.”

       Sian clenched her fists.

       At this rate, she’ll be kicked out of her own house.

       “Icarus.”

       Sian frowned. Her father, Sihyuk, and the others were still a bit down the halls, but it sounded like someone had just whispered that into her ear.

       Sian grabbed the hilt of her sword and turned around, expecting to see another Elite messing with her, but she saw no one.

       “Icarus.”

       There it was again! Sian turned a full circle on her heels, seeing no one near her.

       “What the hell?” Sian muttered under her breath.

       “ICARUS!”

       Sian gasped and fell backwards onto the ground. She caught herself before she could lay flat on the cold stone floor. She flinched when she felt pain in her chest. Her ribs hadn’t fully healed yet.

       “What is she doing here?”

       Sian quickly stood up and turned around, meeting with Sihyuk face to face.

       If Sian had seen him alone, she would have asked him the same question. Classes were over. There weren’t many students roaming the halls, beside Sian because she didn’t want to go home yet.

       “I could ask you the same,” Sian nodded at everyone standing before her.           

       Professor Han smirked.

       “We’re here to witness Sihyuk become the first EXO card wielder in a thousand years. This is something that will be written in history books,” the stout professor seemed proud, as though Sihyuk was his own child.

       “Icarus.”

       Sian winced. Who kept on whispering that?

       “Now, child,” Sian’s father was the next to speak. “You are in the way. Get loss.”

       Sian scoffed.

       “Yeah, Sian. My EXO card is behind you,” Sihyuk gestured to the glass cabinet beside Sian. She hadn’t even realized that it was there.

       Knowing that a brat like Sihyuk couldn’t possibly be the owner of any EXO cards, Sian made a grand and sarcastic gesture of bowing at Sihyuk and to the glass case.

       “Of course, your royal assness,” Sian chuckled darkly.

       “How imprudent,” Professor Han spat.

       Sian rolled her eyes and stepped to the side to witness Sihyuk fail their father for the first time, but there was a small thread of dread laced within Sian. What if he was the true owner of the EXO cards? The planet would be doomed as she knew it.

       Sihyuk stepped towards the glass case and stared at the grey EXO card on the golden wire easel.

       “Icarus.”

       It was that voice again. Sian began to wonder if she was going insane.

       Headmaster Shin unlocked the case with the ring of keys he kept on his waist.

       Once the case opened, Sihyuk quickly grabbed the card and turned it around, revealing the symbol of a phoenix.

       Sihyuk gasped in awe.

       “The fire warrior,” he grinned.

       Sian could see him cook up a plan to destroy the world with the warrior alone. Fear and worry began to grow in Sian.

       “ICARUS!”

       The voice was louder and closer than ever.

       Sihyuk stared at the card a bit longer with a frown.

       “What?” their father hissed. “What is it!”

       Sihyuk gulped.

       “I-I . . .I can’t see it.”

       Sian’s eyes widened.

       Sihyuk couldn’t see the summoning word on the card that only the true master of the card could see, which meant one thing: Lee Sihyuk wasn’t the master of the EXO deck.

       Sian began to laugh.

       The blood on everyone’s faces left, expect for Sian’s father.

       His face was red with rage.

       “Shut it, you brat! When have you ever amounted to something as great as your brother!” he yelled, pushing his way pass Sihyuk to get to Sian.

       Sian unconsciously grabbed onto her sword, making her father freeze.

       “You must think that I am the monster, but your are for even thinking of hurting me,” he growled.

       “Icarus!”

       Sian groaned at the annoyingly deep voice.

       “You will never amount to anything, do you hear me, Lee Sian? You will never be anything to me.”

       “Icarus!”

       “ICARUS!” Sian finally repeated the word that had been nagging at her.

       A bright blue flame erupted out of thin air right beside her. The card in Sihyuk’s hand disappeared from his grasp.

       Everyone beside Sian gasped at the burning blue flame. Sian simply stared at it, not feeling its heat like everyone else was. They all began to back away while Sian only stepped closer to the flame.

       Soon, it began to dissipate, revealing… a person?

       Sian gasped.

       “The fire warrior,” she whispered in shock.

       The warrior stood a foot taller than her in black clothing fit for a solider of the kingdom. His dark black hair was slicked back. His deep brown eyes stared at Sian with shock for a short few seconds before turning tame. Immediately, the warrior fell to one knee with his head lowered.

       “It is an honor to finally meet you, Master Lee Sian. My name is Chanyeol, and I am your fire warrior. I will do everything in my power to serve you until death.”


It didn't exactly happen how I envisioned it, but it was pretty close lol