Beauty and The Beast (ft. The Royal Ball)

Say Goodnight To My HOPE World
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"Stunning." -Park Jimin

 

Chapter 9: Beauty and The Beast (ft. The Royal Ball)

 

“Good work everyone!” Jimin said cheerfully as the work session had come to a close. The artists had been working for roughly five hours with two breaks in between, and Jimin was proud at the amount of work that had been done. And he didn’t stop there.

 

 

“How about I treat you all to dinner? You guys sure deserve it,” Jimin offered, showing just how pleased he was with the day’s accomplishments.

 

Cheers were heard from the artists, who excitedly nodded and clapped. Of course, who wouldn’t want a free meal? A meal that’s paid by the boss?

 

 

“You’re coming too right, Cindy?” Jimin asked quietly in Cindy’s ear as everyone began trailing out of the studio. Cindy’s eyes enlarged at her name and she nodded, “Yeah.”

 

Jimin grinned, his eyes smiling just as well and gestured towards the door.

 

“Alright then. Shall we?”

 

 

Cindy giggled, her cheeks rosy as she followed Jimin out. She still hated the fact that she felt so easily fluttered at his small actions when it was clear to her that he didn’t see her the same way she did. Still, dinner with Jimin would make up for all the hard work she did just now with a lunch-less stomach she had this whole time. 

 

 

 

Jimin led the way and opened the door of a Korean barbeque restaurant. After him, the large number of artists, including Cindy, trailed in. 

 

 

“Hi Auntie, how have you been?” Jimin smiled at the lady who came to help them to their seats. She smiled back as she pulled him in for a hug, “Aigoo Jimin-ah! It’s been so long! And it’s been pretty busy around here but I missed you boy!”

 

“Sorry, I was busy as well,” Jimin laughed. He then turned around and pointed at his team with his thumb, “Do you think you can seat all of us Auntie? I brought quite the team.”

 

“Of course! Our Jiminie came in so long; Auntie will make sure you guys are served well ‘kay? This way,” the lady led them deeper into the restaurant, already pretty full. She barked some orders to the other workers who all came quickly to push a few tables together, making it large enough to seat a dozen people. Just enough for Jimin and his crew.

 

 

Cindy looked around, the smell of grilling meat making water and her legs grow weak. She remembered how she barely ate anything that day and just being in a restaurant made her stomach growl loudly. She then turned to face where everyone was sitting, and before she could decide which empty seat to take, a hand grabbed her arm, pulling her down to a seat.

 

 

She blinked as she saw who the hand belonged to. It was Jimin.

 

 

“Here sit next to me. Oppa will treat you to something yummy, since you did well today kiddo,” he smiled at her as he took the menu from the lady he called “Auntie” again. 

 

 

Cindy nodded, once again hating her fast beating heart. 

 

 

Stop beating so fast; he literally called you a ‘kiddo’ again! she told herself internally.

 

But she couldn’t help it. She liked him so much and that wasn’t new. And since she wasn’t going to give up anyway, she might as well make the most out of the time she had with him. But she knew better than to make a scene like she normally would have done, telling Jimin bluntly how much she loved him or how good looking he was. She would be a calmer version of herself, not making things awkward for Jimin nor his team. 

 

 

“Sir, do you know this place really well?” one of the artists asked, sitting across from Jimin. He was a rookie who had been working for Jimin for a little over a month now, still in his early twenties. But that meant he was just a few years younger than Jimin and yet Jimin’s charisma and talent as a leader made it impossible for anyone to think he was “too young” to be Serendipity & Co.’s art director. 

 

 

“Yeah, I used to come here all the time,” Jimin answered with a nod. Jimin had only four women he called “Aunties” and besides his two actual aunts, one of them was Taehyung’s mom and the last was the lady who ran the K-BBQ restaurant they were sitting in. That proved he was more than a regular customer.

 

 

“Alright what will it be?” Jimin’s “Auntie” came to the table.

 

“We’ll go with something that tastes expensive,” Jimin said with a wink as he ordered a good mix of beef and pork enough to go around. With the amount he ordered, it would amount to be as expensive as it tasted.

 

“All grown-up to treat this many people huh? Auntie is so proud,” the lady smiled happily as she hurried off to prepare their order. 

 

 

“Can we order some alcohol too?” another artist asked and everyone nodded. Jimin gave it a thought before agreeing, “Sure thing.”

 

 

Cheers were heard from all around and within minutes, the tables were filled with beer, soju, plates of side dishes, and meat already hitting the grills. Everyone began chattering amongst themselves, enjoying the sweetness of a (free) meal after their long day of work. 

 

 

“So what do you plan on doing after graduating from college?” Jimin turned to ask Cindy as he used the tongs to put more meat on the grill. His sleeves were rolled up, revealing his veiny arms Cindy died for every day. 

 

“I want to work at your company,” Cindy said, slurring a little from the cup of somaek (cocktail made of beer and soju mixed together) she just had. She was so hungry she was practically putting whatever she could into , drinks and food alike. Her cheeks were slightly flushed, mostly due to the strong alcohol plus the sight of Jimin cooking meat. 

 

“As an artist?” Jimin asked again and Cindy nodded. He smiled, “You should definitely apply. From what I saw, you’re quite the talent.”

 

“Really?” Cindy looked at Jimin with big eyes. He nodded, “Yeah.”

 

“Oh gosh,” Cindy grabbed her face with her hands and could feel the heat in her cheeks. She felt the alcohol running through her body. 

 

“Thank you oppa,” she began to slur again, and grinned, her eyes starting to blink slower.

 

“Here take a drink from me, Cindy-ssi,” the artist sitting across the table said before Jimin could respond. It was the rookie. He smiled as he offered her some soju.

 

Cindy quickly grabbed her cup and held it out towards him. Once he filled it up to the top, she shot it down and gave out a “Kyah!”

 

“Hey stop giving her more drinks,” Jimin warned the guy as he put some cooked meat onto Cindy’s plate. 

 

“Don’t just drink. You gotta eat too or else you’re going to get drunk fast,” Jimin said to her sternly. He watched her use her chopsticks to put the meat he gave her into , to which he gave a satisfied nod. 

 

 

“How do you guys know each other?” the rookie asked, and Jimin shrugged, “She’s my sister’s friend.” 

 

“Oh I see,” the artist nodded and then moved his eyes to Cindy. He cleared his throat with a smile, “Do you have a boyfriend Cindy-ssi?”

 

Jimin furrowed his eyebrows but waited for Cindy to answer. Of course she said, “No.”

 

“Then can I ask for your number?” he asked rather confidently. He looked at her with pleading eyes.

 

 

But he wasn’t the only one. Jimin also eyed Cindy, except he was more so looking at her and expecting her to say, “no” again.

 

 

Cindy blinked a couple of times, her slightly drunk mind trying to register what had been asked of her. She had never been asked by a guy for her number. She didn’t know it felt this good. It was like she was given a self-esteem boost by the man sitting across from her because he basically assured her that she was attractive.

 

But her mind pointed at the man sitting next to her; a man she liked very much. She finally opened to tell the rookie artist she had someone she liked but instead, all that came out was, “Okay.”

 

 

The artist grinned as he handed her his phone.

 

Jimin felt his face turn sour. He looked at Cindy, a little angry that she would just give out her number so easily. 

 

 

“Wait...what’s my number...again?” Cindy thought aloud. Her fingers fumbled on the touch screen of the phone as her brain couldn’t remember anything at the moment. It was clear the alcohol was already doing its work in her.

 

“Oppa, what’s my number again?” she asked, tugging on Jimin’s shirt. Jimin thanked the stars she was drunk for the first time and took the phone away from her hands. He then handed it back to the artist sitting in front of them, “Looks like she’s too drunk. Why don’t you ask for her number next time?” 

 

His lips smiled, but his eyes were cold.

 

The artist nodded awkwardly before getting called by someone, turning his attention away.

 

 

“Whoa, the phone disappeared from my hands!” Cindy exclaimed, looking down at her hands. Jimin shook his head, “You’re drunk already you know that? And it hasn’t even been half an hour since we started. Plus, don’t you have classes tomorrow?”

 

“I’m a magician oppa,” Cindy said with a grin, ignoring everything Jimin said as her cheeks were now red. She began clapping her hands like a little kid and Jimin couldn’t help but chuckle at her rather adorable sight. 

 

 

Mature at work and a baby when it comes to everything else, huh? Jimin thought to himself, shaking his head again. He was somewhat used to Cindy’s drunk habits now. He used his chopsticks to pick up some meat and placed it by Cindy’s mouth.

 

 

“Say ‘ah,’ Cindy,” he commanded. She obediently opened big, “Ah~”

 

“Good girl,” Jimin smiled as he watched her munch. He had to admit, she looked strangely cute in the moment. He had seen a new side of her that day, and was pleasantly surprised at how professional Cindy could be if she tried. And the way she was back to being the baby kid he knew her to be made her oddly charming.

 

Like she was someone with charms Jimin didn’t know about.

 

And that made him quite curious about her. 

 

 

But as he watched her drum her cup with her chopsticks as she talked to the lettuce in front of her, he decided taking her home safely was the priority at the moment. 

 

 

 

***

 

 

 

“Mr. Jung?” Hamin said as she slightly opened the door of Hoseok’s room. He coughed before saying, “Come in.”

 

He was in his usual state, freshly showered and clothed in a silky shirt with lounge pants as he laid in bed, his room dimly lit. 

 

 

Hamin let herself in before tiptoeing towards Hoseok’s bed, sitting in the seat she usually sat in and pulling out her book as she waited for his “five-questions-long questionnaire” he did every night now. She also wanted to apologize for her absence the day before, but before she could, Hoseok began.

 

 

“Are you feeling better?” Hoseok asked, his voice as soothing as the atmosphere in the room.

 

“Is that your first question?” Hamin asked back, eyebrows raised and lips smiling.

 

“Answer me,” Hoseok narrowed his eyes, as he took in Hamin’s state. With her bright, round eyes and energetic smile, she looked far from sick.

 

And that made him glad. But also a bit mad.

 

“Yes. And sorry about not coming to work yesterday,” Hamin nodded, her smile fading. She really did feel bad about that.

 

“Don’t you have my number?” Hoseok asked, his tone a little cold this time.

 

“I do,” Hamin nodded again.

 

“Then why didn’t you call me and inform me whether or not you’re sick too? I’m more of your boss than Kim Namjoon, aren’t I?” Hoseok kept his eyes on her.

 

“I usually only contact Mr. Kim so that’s what I did. And besides, I didn’t want to bother you—” Hamin began to explain.

 

“I’d rather be bothered by you than not knowing whether or not you’re coming to work,” Hoseok cut her off. He stopped. Why was he caring so much about this matter anyway? He didn’t quite understand it, but he went on.

 

 

“Next time something like this happens, contact me. I want to hear from you, not from Kim Namjoon.”

 

“Oh okay. I’ll do that,” Hamin nodded slowly, a little confused as to why Hoseok was acting like this. Was it really that big of a deal that she only called Namjoon and not him? Well, she could only do what the beast told her to, as he was her boss.

 

“Good,” Hoseok cleared his throat and then got straight to the next part of business: asking her to come to the banquet. In his head, he counted this to be the fourth question.

 

 

“We’re having a banquet in celebration of a million sales at Hope’s World this coming weekend. And we’re going to invite you. Can you make it?” he asked.

 

“A banquet this weekend?” Hamin asked rather excitedly. A banquet sounded like quite the fun. And she was honored that Hoseok would even consider inviting her in the first place. She soon nodded, “I think I can!”

 

“I’ll send you two invitations so you can invite a friend too,” Hoseok added after getting a positive response from her, making Hamin’s eyes and smile grow bigger. 

 

“That’s so nice of you Mr. Jung. Thank you,” she said.

 

“Can you tell me who you’re planning to invite?” Hoseok asked, this time a little cautiously. He raised his eyebrows in hopes to get the answer he wanted for his last question of the night.

 

 

“I’m thinking of inviting a friend named Cindy,” Hamin answered and Hoseok sighed internally of relief.

 

Because ‘Cindy’ was nowhere near the name he didn’t want to hear: ‘Kim Taehyung.’

 

 

“Sounds good,” Hoseok said with a slight nod. 

 

 

“Then can I ask my five questions now?” Hamin asked after a brief moment of silence. Hoseok gave her another nod and Hamin smiled.

 

 

The two had found out quite a lot about each other due to their “five questions” every night and it was rather odd that Hoseok asked questions that night that were not about her interests or favorites or hobbies like he usually did. So Hamin decided to ask him something new too.

 

About the thing she had been especially curious about for a while now but hadn’t had the courage to bring up: his family.

 

 

Like Hoseok, Hamin would also ask him about the kind of food or movies he liked, as well as what he didn’t like or what he did in his free time. Although his answers were vague and consisted of mostly “I don’t know’s,” she enjoyed the conversations they had. But she wanted to know about his family. When she tried to research about it, nothing was said about his background, not even on his biography page online. She thought maybe it was too personal to ask, but also thought maybe it was okay to give it a shot, now that they had been talking for a while now.

 

 

“Can I ask about your family?” Hamin asked carefully. Hoseok froze for a moment. He turned to face her.

 

“My family?” he repeated. She nodded.

 

“I mean, if it’s too personal then you don’t have to tell me about them, but I was just curious and—” Hamin began, seeing the cold look on Hoseok’s face.

 

 

“I’m an orphan,” Hoseok said bluntly. Hamin’s opened mouth remained opened. She didn’t know what to say.

 

 

Darn it, Park Hamin. Why did you bring it up? How dare you bring up his painful past, she angrily scolded herself. She wanted to cry. She felt terrible. But she also had no idea Hoseok was parent-less.

 

 

“It’s okay,” Hoseok slightly laughed, but it sounded bitter. He looked into Hamin’s eyes, “I don’t even remember my parents; they were gone when I was too young to even remember anything.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter