a f f e c t i o n

USED
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 25: Affection
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Weeks passed by like the wind in spring. Organizing events for the student body was a task that felt more like a thorn in his side than a privilege, but Baekhyun kept up his outward composure and managed to sit through meeting after meeting regarding booth proposals and food licenses. Leaning back in his seat, Baekhyun stared blankly at the application papers in front of him as the current presenter's voice began to fade into obscurity. How tiring it truly was to put on an act for the sake of preserving his family's name.

Flipping through the papers, nothing caught his eye until his fingertips brushed against an application submitted by the athletics department. Curiously, he pulled it out of the pile and put it above the rest. Resting his chin against a hand, Baekhyun read over the sheet, scrutinizing each detail. Although there was nothing particularly interesting about the idea of holding a food booth to serve hamburgers and hot dogs, the female student population enjoyed watching good-looking athletes make food for them.

Scoffing, Baekhyun flipped the paper over. For a second, he wondered if he'd see Park behind a smoking grill, frowning at some unfortunate beef patty. If Baekhyun hadn't bitten down on his lip just then, he would have laughed-- to the point of interrupting the meeting.

Turning his face away from the presenter, Baekhyun stared at the table upon realizing that his mind had wandered on him again. When he clenched his fist, his eyes were drawn to the engagement band that complimented his slim finger.

What a boring reminder of obligations.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

The bitterness and disdain Kyungsoo had toward him were evident by the taste of his coffee.

Much to Baekhyun's luck, the barista behind the counter was the man himself and the glare Kyungsoo had sent his way said enough. But for some odd reason, it felt more violent than all their past encounters; as if the latter's eyes had been tear-stained. Despite the level of control Baekhyun had over his own facial expressions, he couldn't hide the pity in his eyes. It was something Kyungsoo immediately caught when they locked eyes again during the exchange.

Maybe, Baekhyun thought, he should've smiled in a feigned and weak attempt at being friendly. Yet, a voice in his mind told him otherwise. It wouldn't resolve any sort of conflict. At best, it'd only fuel the fire.

He took his coffee and left, drinking the bitterness down without complaint.

▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂

Writing the monthly student government overview was as unpleasant as it always was. Nothing much about the task changed, but Baekhyun's interest in the micro-political environment was slowly waning more and more. How stiff and absolutely suffocating it was to write updates about events that he neither took part in nor cared much for. The most interesting thing about being in such a position of power was knowing the occasional gossips that passed around regarding who ed who within their circle that month. Even then, Baekhyun didn't enjoy participating in the conversation. It wasn't as though he was at liberty to fully and honestly call them a bunch morons for their inability to keep their business private.

Groani

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter