Chapter 3

Gone
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

We ate in silent, as I totally avoid eye contact with my in-laws, afraid that they would ask me questions or if they notice the tensions between me and Jiyong, or that things between us are not as before. As we ate, my palms were sweating like crazy. The silence was making me nervous. I could barely swallow properly. The food isn’t going in at all.  I stole glances at Jiyong, hoping he would break the silence. But as I looked at Jiyong, he too had his head bowed down, just looking at his food.

 

Jiyong doesn’t have a good relationship with their parents. I could see it in the way how Jiyong treated them. The first month I married him, I started noticing how indifferent he was around his parents. He would always treat his mom coldly. I once asked why. But Jiyong just told me he did not have a good childhood because of how busy his parents were with their business that they barely had time for him.

 

Even Kwon Dami, his sister, moved out, wanting to be independent, when she was 18. And I could never imagine how lonely it must have been for Jiyong. After I asked, Jiyong made me promise to never ask about his childhood anymore. And I never once brought it up after that, knowing it must have been a painful memory for him.

 

With the silence, of only the utensils clicking can be heard, I silently prayed for Jiyong to say something. As I was about to reach out to drink my glass of water, my mother, Mrs Kwon, speaks, “Dara-ah. Have you been eating well, lately? Why do you look so pale and weak?” I meet her eyes. Worries and concerned were written all over her face. I didn’t know what to answer for a moment. I glanced over to Jiyong and saw he glared at me, and gave the ‘Don’t say anything stupid. Or I’ll kill you’ face.

 

 I gulped down my drink quickly, and say “Aniyo, omeoni. I’m doing just fine. I’m just having a lot of work lately that I feel a bit tired,” Lie. Another lie. I don’t have much work lately. I’m just emotionally and mentally tired. I bit my lower lips as I feel guilty for lying again, and hope that she doesn’t notice the bruise on my lips.

 

“Aigoo. I told you before not to overwork yourself. You make me worry all the time. Has there been any signs lately? You know, it’s already been your 4th year of marriage,” Omeoni said. At first it took me awhile to understand what she was saying, until Jiyong choked on his drink. I widened my eyes in realization. 4TH year of marriage. Pregnancy. I gasped silently. Omeoni looked at me waiting for an answer, and Abeoji finally looked up, expecting an answer as well.

 

They’ve always wante

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter