The Day

Final Retry || Yulyen
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Let’s get married.”

 

The three words rang in Yuri’s ears, dilating her eyes immediately. Her heart became pulsated and hammering greatly as if new year’s fireworks had begun to rain the sky and showers them with its diverse yet beauty colors. Yena’s voice was so gentle and honey-like, but, somehow the message echoes loudly in Yuri’s mind.

 

“Yena, this is…” she averted her gaze at her own hand, still being held by Yena, to a certain cylinder thing that fits her slender finger.

 

Yena the ring mildly. “Ah, I’m sorry if the ring isn’t good enough. I make this in a rush,” she said in a low voice. But Yena was sure that she got Yuri’s finger size right. She recalled a specific memory while creating it. A memory of how Yuri’s hand is a bit smaller than hers when their hands intertwined as one. A memory of how seemingly perfect and comforting their hands are for each other.

 

Yuri raised a brow, “You make this yourself?”

 

“Actually with the help of a smith in a nearby village…” Yena admitted, being reminded that it was such a drag since the old man–the smith–wouldn’t let her use his platinum material easily. Thus, she had to mine a certain amount of gold fragments off the coast of Anglesey, to finally exchange the material with him. There, she lost track of time, putting a great deal of effort into making that ring in overnight; and Yena knows she did her very best.

 

But, Yena isn’t exactly satisfied with her work.

 

“It’s my first time so it looks a bit clumsy, doesn’t it? I promise I’ll afford a better one after–”

 

Hearing Yena attentively, Yuri shook her head and cut across by shushing the latter’s lips with her finger. She ran a thumb over the polished ring, and it glimmers astonishingly in the sunlight. So precious, so beautiful. Yuri stares at it adoringly, beginning to gather words in her mind before she speaks.

 

“There’s no need for that, this one is perfect! I love this, Yena! And…”

 

“And?”

 

This was the ring that I always wear in my dreams.

 

Yuri recognized it was the same ring from her dreams. She had never told Yena about this one detail and keeping it to herself all the time. Because she felt it was unnecessary. It was unnecessary to talk about such uncertain future. She didn’t want to jinx her future. Although, in the dream Yuri somehow get the hunch that it must be from none other than Yena. And now this very moment had proven her intuition right, that Choi Yena is the very person who gave the ring, the fated one for her.

 

After tucking her hair behind ear, Yuri offered a warm smile.

 

 

 

“I’ll do it, I’ll marry you.” She paused, inhaling a quick breath. “Yeah, let’s get married, Yena.”

 

In less than no time, Yena had moved her face closer, capturing the girl’s lips who were still smiling sweetly. Even Yuri’s lips tasted sweet too, to Yena’s both conscious and unconscious mind as she deepened their kiss. The feeling was the same just like when she’s sipping a glass full of hot chocolate on a chilly afternoon. The wind blows their hair playfully, causing a strand of natural walnut hair tickles Yena’s cheek as her hand automatically found its way to drape Yuri’s neck, holding it firmly and not letting go. Not wanting their moment to end shortly.

 

***

 

White doves flew through the wintry morning sky, like a heaven-sent to a ceremony which was being held beneath them.  The noise they’re making was distinct to the ears. And each of their fluttering wings drew hopes, reaching out to sparkling souls inside an old building built within the walls of ancient roman.

 

Erosion and pollution were clear to the eyes that it had damaged some parts of the building. But, the classic building itself has been preserved from time to time. And that’s where Yena and Yuri’s wedding is bound to happens in any second by now, in western part of the island.

 

It was a private wedding, sacred and serene. Without many attendants except for Yuri’s family also close friends of hers and then Yena’s own; which basically only Chaewon and Hitomi.

 

Entering the hall was Yuri with her long white wedding dress, linking her hand to her father’s arm on her left side. They allowed a little moment for piano to start playing, taking their time to let the beautiful melody accompany their steps while walking down the aisle. Started with right leg then followed by their left leg together, one perfect synchronized step at a time toward the front side of the hall.

 

Toward Yena, who also wears a white wedding dress and waited for her bride to come to her side.

 

Guests’ eyes were all focused on Yuri from each sides as she walked past them gracefully, bringing a flower bouquet full of orange and yellow roses with tint of a white shade from the frilly petals. Personally, Yuri was the one who chose the flowers. Her knowledge made her to fully understand that each colors have their mean; orange roses evokes passionate romance and sharing excitement of the relationship, yellow roses creates warm feelings and provide happiness also optimism in it, while the white shade expresses innocence and remembrance for the two souls in love. The three colors beautifully blended in one, representing new beginnings of the couple with every hope it has within. A perfect bouquet for her and Yena’s wedding.

 

Not too long after, Yuri arrived in front of Yena who seemingly couldn’t take her eyes off of her. She’s so gorgeous and stunning.

 

Yuri’s father kissed his daughter on the cheek then let Yena to take over his girl’s hand, squeezing Yena’s arm lightly with a smile on his face before leaving them.

 

Yuri–along with Yena–stepped forward, her hand now linked to her soon-to-be-spouse’s arm and they are facing forward. A middle-aged man who’s the officiant soon began the ceremony, saying few words of welcome for the couple and everyone who attends that day. The man offered introduction and shared the significance of marriage for a short while.

 

The ceremony took place in a very solemn way until it was the time to do the declaration of intent.

 

“Choi Yena, you have chosen Jo Yuri to be your life partner. Will you love and respect her? Will you be honest with her always? Will you stand by her through whatever may come?”

 

Yena listened thoroughly, heeding word by word of what the officiant said. “I will,” she answered with confidence. There was no hint of doubt in her voice. But, her heart started to race from a sudden realization. It really is the day.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter