Chapter 01

Apple Pie & Other Sweet Things
Please log in to read the full chapter

It was sunny outside. Summer had just arrived, and the heat had already begun to consume the town. Hurried bodies hustled back and forth in sweat. Everyone was busy, and the heat felt unbearable. But it was wonderful. The town hadn't felt this alive in... well, ever. It was the first summer they'd had where the general mood in the air was a good one. There had been some good times in the past, sure, but there had always remained that feeling of uncertainty and fear. That feeling where everyone was tense and worried about their safety and the safety of their loved ones. But not anymore. The long war was over now. There had been many lives lost, and people were still grieving, but those who remained alive were safe now. Instead of fear, the town was now filled with bliss. 

Seonghwa found himself smiling as he thought about where he was. He was in the same town where he'd spent his entire life growing up in. But somehow, it felt like an entirely new place. He could hardly believe that he was heading down to the market to get apples. For an apple pie. it'd be years since he'd last made one. And certainly, he hadn't felt this free the last time he made one. He'd probably never felt this free before, actually. 

After picking out a few apples that looked nice, he handed the money over to the stall keeper. He noted the smile on the stall keeper's face, and thought to himself, that perhaps is the first he's seen him smile. After getting his change, he thanked the man and turned to start walking back home. 

A few paces up the street, he caught sight of a familiar head turned away. Yeosang. It'd been nearly two weeks since he'd last seen him. Far too long when they were used to seeing each other every day. He was standing under the shade of a stall where an elderly man was selling rice to other customers. Seonghwa quickened his pace and came over to the stall. He lightly tapped on Yeosang's shoulder to get his attention. 

Yeosang turned around, a grin blossoming on his face as he recognized his closest friend. "Oh, hey! What are you doing here?"

Seonghwa lifted up the bag of apples. "I'm making an apple pie. Since everything's calmed down now, I figured I should try doing some things I haven't done in a long time."

Yeosang nodded. "That's a great idea. I remember when you and your mom made one when we were kids. It's been a while." 

"Yeah. I remember that. I haven't done it much baking since she passed away, and I've missed it. But now is a great time to start again. Do you want to come over and bake it with me?"

Yeosang hit his arm. "Do you even have to ask? Of course I want to. And I'll even carry your bag." 

Without giving Seonghwa a chance to protest, he grabbed the bag from his hands and started walking off. Seonghwa rolled his eyes and followed after his best friend. 

At Seonghwa's place, Yeosang set the bag of apples down on the kitchen counter. 

"There. I've done my part of the baking. The rest is up to you." 

Seonghwa scoffed. "I knew you wouldn't actually help me." 

Yeosang faked a surprised reaction. "I did help you. I carried the bag here and I even put it on the counter!" 

"Yeah, yeah. Thank you so much for your help." 

"Anything for you." 

Seonghwa rolled his eyes, but smiled. He quickly pushed Yeosang out of his way and started taking the apples out of the bag. Yeosang stood aside, eyeing him lazily. He watched as Seonghwa went through the process of washing each apple one by one before putting them in a large bowl. After each one was washed, he glanced at Yeosang. "Are you going to help me cut them?" 

Yeosang let out a loud, dramatic sigh. "I'll cut one. Maybe two." 

Seonghwa laughed. "You're going to have to do more than that." 

Seonghwa grabbed a cutting board and knife and placed them on the counter, then stepped out of the way.

Please log in to read the full chapter