THREE

FIX YOU

Lisa stared at her laptop screen, debating on whether to send another email or to just forget about it. J had clearly pointed out to leave her alone, ignoring most if not all of Lisa’s email. The last one she sent was an hour ago and she’d already finish a huge bag of chips, and an episode of Riverdale’s newest season. A bicolor cat was lounging by her laptop, flicking its tail left and right. 

 

“You know, this could all be your fault.” Lisa absentmindedly pet it’s head, making it purr and rub against her hand. “Why did you have to go and do that Leo?” She gave it a playful glare as it meowed in response, jumping into her lap and nuzzling against her neck. 

 

“If you weren’t so cute, I would have kicked you out a long time ago…”

 

Her laptop dinged, taking it off sleep mode and masking Lisa with a soft bluish hue as she read a notification indicating a new email. 

 

HEY :)

 

[email protected]

01/27/2017 5:32PM

TO: [email protected]

 

L

 

I seriously don’t know why you’re keeping up with this, but since you’re so persistent… Tell me, why are you doing this? I’ve already told you that that email was a mistake, never really thought I’d send it but I guess alcohol makes you do things you’ll regret in the end eh? 

 

P.S. Yes I’ve eaten -- that’s a really weird question to ask someone who you don’t know that well. Don’t you think?

 

-J 

 

Lisa chuckled, the email screamed “annoyed”, but she didn’t mind. That was a good sign, it means she’s feeling things -- even if it’s not the good kind of feeling, it was there nonetheless. The first email she ever received made Lisa worry, it screamed “help me”, she can’t be blamed for wanting to make sure whoever J was, was fine right? 

 

To: [email protected]

CC:

BCC:

SUBJECT: RE: HEY :)

 

J, 

 

I was about ready to kick my cat out -- I still think he made you think I was weird and scared you away :D. 

 

Just wanted to be friends, that's all. I can think of 3 reasons why I’m doing this off the top of my head… 

 

  1. I wanna be friends, living alone in a new city can be quite lonely

  2. I wanna be friends… you seem pretty cool 

  3. Have I mentioned I wanna be friends? 

 

P.S.

 

No…I don’t think it’s weird.

 

-L

 

Lisa hit send and proceeded to download the forms from the email she received from YG’s HR department. She spent an hour trying to answer questions from the company’s board during the interview. They expressed their interest in the smooth fluid way she danced and wanted to do some background check and set some expectations should she choose to accept their offer. Of course she did. She’d been eyeing the company ever since she’d been in uni. That was the sole purpose of why she moved to Seoul after graduation; try out for their yearly auditions. She’d flew all the way from Thailand to study dance in South Korea six years ago. Granted it was a huge step for her, being away from her family and being alone in a whole new country, but she wanted this so much. 

 

She made sure each question on the form was answered correctly, and went over the profile information needed by the company carefully-- ensuring she didn’t miss out on anything before attaching the filled out forms to her reply. She was excited for her first day tomorrow. 

 

“We’d like to have you be a part of our ensemble,” one of the older looking members who wore a tie was going over her credentials “You don’t have that much experience, but we’re willing to overlook that -- It’s been a long time since we’ve seen someone with as much talent as you.”

 

A stern looking plump woman who sat opposite Lisa nodded in agreement. “We were very impressed when you were able to perform one of our complex choreographies, with only an hour to learn it as well.”

 

Lisa tried her best to mask the nervousness with a polite nod and smile. 

 

“We’re offering you a paid internship for a year. It’s an entry level position as assistant instructor, but you’ll be working with one of our seasoned instructors. He just got back from his European tour and will be staying here for a while. Once he flies back to continue with the last half of his world tour, you’ll be taking over his classes on your own. We’ll be checking in every once and a while and monitor the improvement of his students under your care. We’ll have the evaluation at the end of your one year internship and we’ll decide then if we’ll continue with your contract.” The head of the board was a harsh looking man. He had thin lips set in what seemed to be a permanent smile on his face that didn’t reach his eyes. He was wearing a fisherman hat, which Lisa found odd given they were inside the building. Who wear hats inside buildings? Clearly the head of YG did. 

 

For a minute, she looked like a fool just sitting there with open in shock. Was she dreaming? They were offering her a paid internship! Paid! Surely she heard them wrong. The serious look on the faces of the board members told her otherwise and she could barely contain her excitement when she nodded vigorously.

 

“It’s settled then, we’ll have the necessary documents sent to you. Have them filled out and sent back to us as soon as possible. Oh, and be back here tomorrow around… seven in the morning. You’ll have your first class around nine and the second around… eleven.”  The plump woman smiled at her as she spoke. 

 

“Thank you for this opportunity.”

 

She stood up and bowed, excusing herself as the receptionist who ushered her in, accompanied her back out. 

 

Lisa was about to turn her laptop off when she realized a new email indicator showing beside “inbox”. How long has it been there? She’d been too caught up in her thought she didn’t hear the email notification go off. 

 

HEY :)

 

[email protected]

01/27/2017 6:49PM

TO: [email protected]

 

L

 

?????

 

You just gave me the same exact reason three times. 

 

-J

 

Lisa laughed out loud, Leo leapt away at her sudden outburst. Eyeing her weirdly before dashing towards the direction of her apartment kitchen -- his favorite place.


 

To: [email protected]

CC:

BCC:

SUBJECT: RE: HEY :)

 

J, 

 

You’re a very serious person aren’t you? :), it’s cute. 

 

Okay… let me start over then

 

  1. I wanna be friends

  2. I’d like to get to know you more

  3. -- we can leave this one blank… I’ll fill it out someday. 

 

Is this list better? :)

 

-L

 

The reply was instant,

 

HEY :)

 

[email protected]

01/27/2017 7:22PM

TO: [email protected]

 

L

 

Hmmmm. I guess so, this one’s more believable. 

 

I can’t help but wonder if you’re a kid, but you mentioned you just got accepted and your first email sounded so mature so I’m guessing college student? 

 

Anyways -- I’m off to bed…

 

-J

 

Lisa wrote and rewrote her reply, carefully choosing her next words.

 

To: [email protected]

CC:

BCC:

SUBJECT: RE: HEY :)

 

J, 

 

Close enough? I just graduated -- last year to be exact. The interview I had was for a company I really, really liked. I get excited easily I guess? -- and it happens a lot. I’ll be starting work soon so I’ll hit the sack as well :). How about you? Are you a student… or a -- I don’t know what term to use, I’m sure you know what I mean though, I hope.. 

 

Anyways, good night J. Sending you virtual hugs. Oh and Leo says hi!

 

P.S. 

Leo’s my cat in case you’re wondering… 

 

-L

 

-------------------------------------------------

 

Lisa was in awe from how big the studios were inside the building. Chuckling at how she mistakenly entered a studio that was working on a group routine and had to be accompanied by a member to the right room. She was met with a smiling Kwon Soonyoung, who was better known by his stage name “Hoshi”, who she would be working with for the next couple of weeks. He had asked her to sit by together with his 9am class and watch the routine, allowing her to learn the moves. He wanted her to take over the 11am class as he excused himself for an emergency meeting with the board. 

 

Lisa changed into a cropped white hoodie and jogging pants, keeping her brown hair in place with a white cap. Hoshi has mentioned she’d only have three students come in for this class and to pay close attention to …she drummed her fingers on the table, trying to recall the name.  She swore she had it at the ti of her tongue...she had a hard time remembering names without having seen their faces first. Picking up the papers, she tried to skim at the names, trying to remember….

 

Kim Jennie…

 

Yes! She remembered, Hoshi has made her promise to focus on this Jennie, since she’d been away for a while. Needing extra time after class to try and catch up. 

 

Muffled voices made her look at the door as three beautiful women came in -- all carrying duffel bags. 

 

“Hi!” Lisa greeted with a huge grin. 

 

They looked at each other before eyeing Lisa with a confused look.

 

“Uh hey?” the shortest one in the group was the first one to acknowledge her. She had purple hair, and an oversized Metallica t-shirt over shorts. 

 

“Are you new here? We weren’t expecting anyone to join the class this late.” The cute redhead in an adidas crop top and track pants was smiling at her. 

 

“I … uh, no.” Lisa stuttered as she caught the third member looking at her fiercely. 

 

“Are you in the wrong room or something?” She had catlike eyes that could cut steel with how sharply she looked at her. She looked intimidating, and beautiful at the same time. She had a white crop top and tattered shorts.

 

“Am I new? Yes. Am I joining the class late? Uh… sort of? Am I in the wrong room? Hell no.”  Lisa practically blurted out her answers, trying hard not to make a fool of herself. 

 

“Jisoo-unnie, Jennie … be nice for once. I’m Park Chaeyoung -- you can call me Rosé, this one here is Kim Jisoo, you can call her..”

 

“Jisoo -- just Jisoo.” The purple haired girl smiled. 

 

“And this is… Kim Jennie.” 

 

“Jen or Jennie’s fine.”

 

interesting .. so this was Kim Jennie… 

 

They were all looking at her expectantly, “Oh sh*t, I’m uh… Lisa… Lisa Manoban. I’m Hoshi’s assistant. He won’t be here for your class so I’m taking over today.”

 

Rosé’s eyes widened at the realization. “Omo, we’re sorry. We thought you were a new addition to the class, we weren’t informed..”

 

“It’s fine.” Lisa smiled, she looked pretty sweet. Among the three Rosé was the only one who seemed nice at first. “It was sort of last minute. You should all go prepare yourselves. I’ll have the music ready 

They set their bags down and proceeded to stretch and warm up. Lisa took her phone out to look for the music file they’ll be dancing to and to connect to the room’s sound system. A new email was calling out to her. 

 

HEY :)

 

[email protected]

01/28/2017 8:52AM

TO: [email protected]

 

L

 

Morning… 

 

I’m seriously questioning myself as to why Im doing this right now. 

 

I think I know what you mean. I recently graduated as well… I’m taking extra classes at the moment. A lot of people think I need to make myself busy… so yeah....

 

-J

 

“Ready?” Lisa jumped in surprise, instinctively locking her phone when she felt someone behind her.

 

“I’m sorry, didn’t mean to scare you like that.” Jisoo was smiling, Lisa could see mischief written all over her eyes.

 

“yeah, “ Lisa played the remix and smiled. 

 

This was where she felt more at ease and sure of herself as she danced away to the music, eyeing each member and taking note of every subtle mistake and dance move that needed polishing. There was one thing that was pulling her attention though....

 

Jennie dancing with her eyes closed, lost in her own little world as she moved along to the song's beats