Hi Heart

DAY AND NIGHT

It is a great spring day for everyone—the sun is up and rising above the elysian sky, the birds are chirping melodies… the nature is green and the people are happy…

 

But not her. No Hyejin. Not Hyejin.

 

She is a loner in the neighborhood who always wear contact lenses, the unfriendly one, who keeps her door closed at all times and always orders Chinese takeouts.

 

The neighborhood thinks she’s mysterious and someone who is going through some problems. They tried reaching to her but they always fail.

 

But no. No Hyejin is not like that. She just didn’t like the idea of interacting with people.

 

And why is she fond of wearing contact lenses? It’s because she has eye pigment problems and needs lenses just to correct her vision. She’s near sighted.

 

Why is she always glowering at people? Back to the eyes… she can’t see properly.

 

Problems? Back to interacting, she has low confidence level.

 

And why is she alone? Because both of her parents are working in abroad and the rest of her relatives are living in distant places. She can’t live with them since their location is too far away from her working area.

 

So she has to be strong for her family and self.

 

Back to the intro… People are happy, because a new neighbor just came in to the hood. The Byun’s. They are very nice and very friendly. Especially their son, the one and only, Byun Baekhyun. He is so handsome that his looks brings girls to the yard and make them fall deeply in love with him at first sight. He looks so soft, genuine and so cute. His hair is ash pink to gray blonde and appears soft and silky, his eyes are bright and brown under those round eye-glasses, making his demeanor more babyish, his nose is tall and boopable, his cheeks rise cutely whenever he smiles, his caret lips looks delicate to touch, thin, pinkish and kissable and he smells like strawberry and everything nice.

 

Very ideal.

 

It’s a tradition, that when someone moves to a new place they share rice cakes to their neighbors for good luck.

 

The Byun’s had given delicious boxes of rice cakes to each of their neighbors and the only house that is left to visit is Hyejin’s.

 

“You think she’s here?” Baekhyun asks one of their neighbor, looking all determined to visit the lady.

 

She happens to be a grandma who still has a tiny hope in reaching out to Hyejin. The older shakes her head in dismay, eyes darted at the No’s home. “Even if she’s there, she won’t open her door for you. She’s so unwelcoming, we can’t even reach to her. She lives alone.” Then she sighs glumly. “I really want to talk to her just to let her know that she’s not alone but she can’t even return even just one smile back to me.”

 

Baekhyun sighs, unable to say something.

 

“Just leave it at her door. Once she comes out for work, she’ll just take it.” The grandma suggests with a fond smile.

 

But Baekhyun, with amiability running in his blood, won’t let himself just back out. So he gives grandma back a charming smile and says, “It’s okay grandma, I’ll try. At least, I can say at the end that I tried.”

 

The grandma lets out a gust of air, surrendering, “Go on, son.” She reaches to pinch his cheek lightly. “Who can resist your beauty though?"

 

Baekhyun laughs softly back.

 

The male courageously walks now to the doorstep of his peculiar neighbor and then knocks at the door, heart a bit nervy. He waits a few more heavy moments… until the door opens and is surprised to see the small lady living inside.

 

Hyejin frowns at him, her purple eyes are bare of contacts. She just woke up, so she looks pretty much terrible, her sleeping lilac duster all crinkled, her long curly mocha hair is messy everywhere, fresh up from the bed. But, she doesn’t care. In her mind, she didn’t wake up to please anybody.

 

But, it’s a different case for this new comer. She can’t believe she’s seeing this beautiful person, early in the morning, in front of her doorway. She suddenly turns bashful of her appearance and her face and chest start to warm.

 

“Hi.” Baekhyun greets her with a faddish toothy smile. And his voice sounds so deep but gentle.

 

Hyejin chooses not to speak or maybe she feels suddenly shy to do so.

 

“I’m Byun Baekhyun, I am your new neighbor. My family just moved in. I came here to bring you this rice cake.” Baekhyun hands her the box of rice cakes and Hyejin is still stupefied of his presence that out of her mind, she just takes it from the guy’s hands, with cheeks flushed.

 

“T-Thank you.” She stuttered. Her heart beat triples.

 

But, Baekhyun finds it absolutely endearing. “She’s not that snobby…” he thought.

 

Maybe because she glares a lot.

 

“Uhm…” Baekhyun is suddenly out of words. He’s staring at her too much, lost in her purple eyes that he doesn’t realize he’s dawdling much time. “M-May I know your name?”

 

“H-Hyejin.” Her voice chirps. She’s too much anxious.

 

Baekhyun sighs a smile. “What a beautiful name…”

 

This time, Hyejin’s courage to face people starts to crumble down. Maybe because she thinks her heart right now might burst anytime soon. She is internally panicking that she just slam the door close, leaving Baekhyun completely flabbergasted.

 

She just shut the door in his face.

 

Hyejin leans against her door after closing it, trembling and confused. She can’t explain what is happening with her. Her heart is beating like crazy and her face is in crimson.

 

But, a small smile creeps in her face as she whispers out his name. “B-Baekhyun…”

 

Baekhyun, outside, remains astounded.  After a few seconds of realization, finally, he chuckles to himself. He brushes his nape, feeling a bit embarrassed.

 

“D-Did I overdo the greeting?”

 

---

 

Hyejin doesn’t have work today. She just stayed inside her house and did some chores. Now she’s watching her favorite tv show in her small living room while enjoying Baekhyun’s colorful rice cakes for dinner.  

 

A sigh of awe always leaves her lips whenever she remembers Baekhyun. He is the only guy, around her age, who bravely went to her doorstep just to greet her. Because everybody in the hood is thinking that she’s not approachable... that is why Baekhyun is truly exceptional.

 

Plus, he’s so handsome.

 

And there goes the butterflies in her stomach, churning warmly again.

 

She goes to the kitchen to preoccupy her brain with more chores to do. She thinks it’s weird to daydream about a man and allow her heart to thud like a drumroll because of him. She checks her food stocks in the drawers and ref and sees that they’re almost empty. She heaves, finding no choice but to go out and buy herself some groceries. She also have to check her bank account; her parents told her to do so. Even though she already told them not to worry about her, they still send her money. The perks of being an only child.

 

But she doesn’t use them. She keeps the money as their savings instead.

 

Hyejin puts on some large black hoodie, baggy pants and wears her black corrective lenses before darting out the door to buy her needs.

 

It’s already thirty minutes past the hour of eight in the evening. There’s not that much people in the area. For some, they might feel unsafe, but for Hyejin, she feels totally free. It’s not like she’s afraid of people but she’s afraid of interacting with them. She has issues with talking and society mingling. She finds solace whenever she’s alone and for her, being solitary is everything she could ever wish for.

 

She starts to trot merrily through the empty path, passing now the new neighbor’s house. Her phase somehow slows down, as her gaze lingers at the beautiful home since their fence is not that high. She can see their silhouettes through the window, his mom, dad and him, while they’re enjoying their dinner—and her heart flutters.

 

It’s just his silhouette.

 

Hyejin shakes off the thoughts about the new comer in her mind and just decides to go and get her needs.

 

It turns out to be a not so quick trip to the convenience store though. She struggles quite a bit on just asking a cup noodles’ price. It takes her like 10 minutes before courageously asking a staff in which she gets her answer less than a minute. She takes all her needs, pays and then goes back straight home, while trying to memorize all the price of the goods in that store so that she wouldn’t do the same agony again.

 

On her way, then again, her steps become slower once she’s at the front gate of the Byun’s home. The lights are already off in the living room except the windows on the second floor. At the left are still open though. Maybe the one closed in the right is his room? She thinks.

 

Maybe he’s asleep.

 

Yet out of the blue, a man jumps out of the Byun’s fence, scaring her to death. A typical person would probably shriek on top of her lungs. But, Hyejin just stops in her tracks, with mouth kept open in ajar and eyes rounded in shock at the stranger.

 

The mysterious man, with streaks of black hues in his devil colored mullet hair, has a murky aura enshrouding around him. He’s wearing an outfit of the Gods, yellow and daring, the V-collar reveals more of his milky toned chest and he matches it with a pair of faded blue denim. He has piercing in his caret lips and it looks pretty cool on him but very bad boyish. Once the man brings his eyes to her, irises are green, his gaze appears dark and perplexing, Hyejin holds her breath for a second, in disbelief. She can’t even muster words to speak. Maybe if she’s cordial she might probably say Hi. But even if she was, this shocking person will still render her speechless.

Baekhyun…

 

T-This is not him…

 

The man’s lips curl into a smirk, as he stares at her intrusively with wonder.

 

“Hi, Hyejin-ah…” the same voice but deeper.

 

Hyejin doesn’t answer back. She keeps mum and is now trying to formulate a hundred ways to escape away from this guy. Her gaze somehow trails down to the phone lighting in the man’s grasp.

 

It’s in Night mode.

 

She almost gasps when he hides the phone back to his jeans pocket, leaving her suddenly clueless on where to lay her eyes at.

 

The male now approaches her and panic rush into her system. But, it is as if she’s glued on her place. She keeps her eyes on him, her pupils quivering under his gaze, until he’s towering her small presence and there’s no escape.

 

“Are you Hyejin-ah though?” he chuckles darkly. “I can’t see your purple eyes…”

 

 “W-What a-are y-you t-talking about…” she can’t believe she’s stuttering back, now looking anywhere but on him. But, she’s one hundred percent sure now, that he is Byun Baekhyun.

 

He is the only guy who saw her with her eyes bare.

 

The movement of his hands is so fast that Hyejin can only in a deep breath as Baekhyun cups her face to make her look directly back at him. The man leans a breath away, causing her to still hers, though failing.

 

“Always remember this, heart…” he moves inches closer to her lips and Hyejin shuts her eyes close, fretting that this might be her first kiss. But Baekhyun, this dark Baekhyun, lands his sinful lips on the corner side of hers instead. His plumpy pillows feel warm and cold at the same time against her flesh, might be because of the piercing. When she feels him pull a bit away, she opens them back and is even more thrilled to see a grinning triumphant Baekhyun, his eyes beaming with desire under the cascading moonlight.

 

“I saw you first. I am yours, and you are mine.” Then he winks at her. “Understood, heart?”

 

Heart… he’s calling her heart.

 

She doesn’t know what she’s thinking currently but she finds herself nodding back.

 

Baekhyun becomes more victorious. “Let’s see each other more often in the night time. You can still call me Baekhyun but remember this…” he retreats away, making Hyejin breathe like there’s no air left on earth. He shows her his phone and continues, “I am his Night version. Once he pressed this phone to Night mode, I will appear.”

 

Hyejin couldn’t believe it. This man is Byun Baekhyun and this is his Night version.

 

The Byun Baekhyun she adores has Day and Night versions of himself.

 

Because of a magical phone.

 


author's note:

 

heyy guys. new story. what are your thoughts?

 

by the way, this story is inspired from Kokobop Baekhyun. I'll never get over that era... Baekhyun totally swept me off the ground and claimed me his in that era. hahaha jk

 

by the way, I hope you will like this. thank you for reading. :)

 

-XOXO