Chapter 2

Darling

(Author's note 19/07/15 - Hi everyone! It's daemi. Once again, I'd like to say I'm sorry it took me this long to upload the chapter. I hope the length of it compensates you for the long wait and that you enjoy the story so far! Thank you for all the views, subscription and kind words in the comments. ♡)

 

This chapter is 7,725 words long and approximately takes 42 minutes 55 seconds to read, if you read average 3 words per second


 
Sunscreen

  

"Baekhyun, your phone is ringing!"

Baekhyun his side with a huff, hearing his mother's voice ringing through the house. Thanks to the gaming session in the morning, he got into bed around 4am and based on the small amount of sunlight outside it couldn't have been more than 10am. Why should he get up?

"Baekhyun, it's Chanyeol calling! Should I answer?"

At a glance, Baekhyun's eyes snapped open and scrambling out of bed dashed out of his room without even bothering putting on his slippers. He found his mother standing in the living room, holding up his phone with a knowing smile.

"If you don’t want me to answer it, don’t leave your phone it out in the open.”

"Yeah." Baekhyun grumbled and pressed “Receive” while throwing himself on the couch half-asleep. “What do you want?”

“Good morning to you too, sleepyhead.” Chanyeol greeted Baekhyun back, much more awake and upbeat. “I just called to check how you’re doing. You didn’t call me yesterday after you know what.

Baekhyun glanced at his mother from the corner of his eyes – she was preparing breakfast, humming along to the song coming quietly from the radio. She didn’t look like she could be eavesdropping but knowing his mom, Baekhyun rather not risked it.

“Let’s talk about that later.”

“Oh, so it didn’t go well...”

Baekhyun paused before letting out a huff.

“If that’s the only thing you called me for, I guess we can hang up here.”

“Hey, don’t be in such a hurry!” Chanyeol said quickly before clearing his throat. “I also wanted to ask if you’re free today. It’d be nice to drop by at Sehun’s.”

Sehun had a part-time lifeguard job at one of the local pools and mentioned a few times his friends, as in them, should visit him. Baekhyun fidgeted on the couch, one pillow digging into his back particularly uncomfortably. He didn’t plan to do anything, other than resting. Chilling by the pool in good company sounded nice. Speaking of company...

“Who else comes?”

“Jongin and his girlfriend; Amber, and considering we’re talking about Sehun here, Kim Yerim shows up sooner or later anyway... which means she will be there as well.”

Of course, she will be. Baekhyun clenched his eyes for a moment. Something was telling him that in this case he shouldn’t go, it’ll be awkward since the memory is so fresh, but at the same time Baekhyun felt like it’s now or never. It’s an opportunity he should grab and ask what happened the day before.

The day before repeated in Baekhyun’s mind in a flash, along with Jongdae’s smile.

“I see. You think I could take one more person?”
 
“What the heck. You have other friends?”

“Duh. You know Minseok’s cousin?”
 
“Which one? Wait, I don’t know any of them.” Chanyeol conversed with himself which made Baekhyun roll his eyes. “You can invite him, I guess. If he’s boring, we don’t have to see him ever again.”

“I love how much faith you have in my judgement.”

“What can I say?” Chanyeol laughed, his deep voice echoing on the line. “I’m just pulling your leg, Baek’. Let’s meet at the pool after lunch, ok?”

“Ok. Don’t be late!”

Chanyeol made a noise of disapproval and Baekhyun snickered.

“Me? Never! See ya.”

Baekhyun could barely end the call and his mother was already in his space. Baekhyun was so startled, he dropped his phone to the ground.

“You’re going out?”

“God, mom, don’t sneak upon me like that!” Baekhyun reached down to pick up his phone and sat up. The screen wasn’t cracked, what a relief. “But yes. Chanyeol wants to go and visit Sehun by the pool.”

“That’s a good idea! Sehun must be lonely.” Baekhyun’s mother said before putting both her arms lovingly around his son’s torso from behind. “Just don’t forget to put on sunscreen, alright? You know your baby skin is very sensitive to UV-B.”

Baekhyun has never been fond of his mother baby-talking him but her embrace felt great. He half-heartedly nuzzled back before making a move to stand up.

“Yeah, yeah, I know. Can we eat now?”

Since Baekhyun’s father had errands to run the morning and his annoying older brother, Baekbeom, was staying at the university campus because of summer school, they had breakfast in two. Afterwards, Baekhyun did the dishes and while her mother went to check on her small garden in their backyard, Baekhyun sneakily reached for his phone to look for Jongdae’s number.

Minseok gave it to him last night when Baekhyun was just starting up his game. “Use it well” was the message above it and although Baekhyun found it strange - Minseok sent it without asking - he didn’t put too much thought into it.

Jongdae picked up the call for the second ring.

“Hello?”

“Jongdae? It’s me, Baekhyun.” You know, the guy who showed you the direction yesterday, Baekhyun thought to add in case Jongdae doesn’t remember but he didn’t have to.

“Baekhyun, hi! What’s up?” Jongdae greeted happily.

He sounded just as cheerful as yesterday and the sound alone was enough to bring a smile to Baekhyun’s face.

“I’m going to the pool with some friends and I’ve thought you could come with us. If you want, of course. It’s the least after you hang out with me yesterday.”

“Oh, really? I was planning to go to the pool today myself.” When Jongdae told the name of it, Baekhyun confirmed they’re talking about the same one. “Are you serious?!”

“Yes.” Baekhyun chuckled, both at Jongdae’s bewildered voice and at the ridiculous situation. “It’s almost like we were destined to meet sooner or later anyway.”

At this point, Baekhyun shut his mouth. That last sentence was weird and completely unnecessary.

But Jongdae didn’t react to it badly.

“Yeah, it must be faith!... Ow, my brother’s calling for me. I better check what he wants before he does something stupid.”

That Baekhyun could relate to.

“Alright. Do you know where the pool is?”

“Yes, I happen to know that.” Jongdae responded, his voice a bit offended. Baekhyun found that funny. “Bye, Baekhyun!”

“Bye.”

“She sounds cute.”

Baekhyun spun around at the speed of lightning at his mother’s second attempt of scaring him to death.

“Mom~”

“What? You seemed so immersed and smiled so much!” Baekhyun’s mother defended herself before pinching her youngest’s son cheek. “Do you want to date her?”

Baekhyun gasped at the accusation.

“Huh?”

“You do, you’re blushing! How exciting!” Baekhyun’s mother gushed and latched onto his son’s arm. “You met her yesterday too, didn’t you? It’s faith, isn’t it?”

“Mom, stop. I was talking to a friend and you shouldn’t have listened.”

“I know, I didn’t on purpose! I just came in to get my book but then I heard you say something sweet and my legs stopped on their own. Sorry.”

At least she had the decency to feel ashamed... regardless, Baekhyun felt super embarrassed because of her mother’s assumption for some reason. And he was blushing? No way. He thought it’s impossible but he didn’t dare to look into the mirror hanging across the wall.

“It’s fine.” Baekhyun sighed, loving her mother too much to get mad at her for real. He her shoulder caringly. “Will you be okay alone?”

She giggled.

“Me? Of course. Your father gets back in the afternoon. Don’t worry about me, baby!”
 

 
* * *
 

“Shave or not so shave... that is the question” Baekhyun murmured to himself while he was getting ready to go out. He’d taken care of his armpits already but he was hesitating about his leg hair. (He didn’t have to worry about chest hair or facial hair because he didn’t have any.)

Baekhyun inspected his legs from closer. The hair there growing was quite fair and cooped up in his room he didn’t get any tan to make them contrast on his skin. Maybe they’re fine?

No, the answer came a second later and Baekhyun was already reaching for the razor. What if she notices? Girls are more perceptive. And I don’t think I would ever recover if she mentioned it.

Baekhyun made such a big dilemma out of it, he had less time to dress and pack his bag than he wanted. He quickly kissed her mom on the cheek before leaving.

“I’m out.”

“Have fun, baby!”

Baekhyun ran towards the bus stop, flinging his bag on the shoulder. He seriously hoped his father brings back his bike from the repair shop relatively soon because he was getting tired of accommodating.

Still, he arrived on time. Baekhyun looked around searching for his friends at the entrance of the pool but he only found Jongin and his girlfriend, Soojung.

“Where is everybody?”

“Amber texted us a few minutes ago that they’re going to be late because of Chanyeol.” Soojung announced, occupied with fixing the stubborn sunhat trying to fell off of her head.

Jongin went to help her while talking to Baekhyun:

“We can go in, if you’d like, hyung. Amber knows where we’ll be.”

“I don’t know.” Baekhyun murmured, snapping his head back and forth, not quite sure whom he’s looking for.

“Hi!” The shrill voice came from a small girl with pigtails, accompanied by an older one struggling to carry their bags.

“Yeri, come and help me, don’t run ahead!”

Baekhyun let Kim Yerim pass by him to greet Soojung and Jongin. His eyes were fixated on her before he caught on and walked over to help out.

“Let me help you, noona.”

“Thanks, Baek’. Ah, this kid is going to be the end of me, I swear. She’s fourteen but she’s acting like she’s four.” She complained and let out a sigh after some of the weight was transferred to Baekhyun. She flashed a grateful smile at his savior. “Glad to see you around. You came for Sehun too?”

Baekhyun was so stunned for a second, he forgot to answer. She said she’s glad to see you, a little voice in his head cheered. Yeah, and she dropped you like a hot potato yesterday, another one reminded him and Baekhyun immediately got back to his senses.

“How are you, noona?”

“I’m good. How are you? Do you enjoy the summer so far?”

“Yeah.”

“Unnie, oppa, speed up, we don’t have all day!” Yeri shouted at them enthusiastically.

While Baekhyun was busy, Jongin took care of the tickets so they were able to enter. Soojung spotted a set of free lounge chairs with a hawk’s eye and they put most of their bags there.

“I put my bikini on at home, you can leave your things to me while you’re changing.” Soojung said and was already pulling her maxi dress over her head.

Jongin stood in front of her like a human shield, his eyes as of saucers.

Baekhyun had to laugh.

“Jongin, you know this is a public pool, right?”

“I know but...”

“It’s okay, babe. I can handle it.” Soojung calmed his boyfriend before pressing a light kiss on his cheek.

Baekhyun wished he didn’t see that. He was happy over Jongin finally going out with the girl he’s been going after for a while but Baekhyun couldn’t help but be a little jealous too, sulky he’s not getting the same treatment from the apple of his eye.

Speaking of her.

“Hey, did you see where noona went?”

“To the changing rooms with Yeri, don’t worry!” Jongin grinned and put an arm around his hyung to navigate him towards theirs. When they were far enough for Soojung not to hear, he whispered. “Today is the day, hyung.”

“What day?” Baekhyun asked, afraid of what Jongin is getting at.

“The day Taeyeon noona will be yours.”

Baekhyun shrieked and put a hand over Jongin’s mouth, even though there was literally no one around.

“Why did you have to say her name?”

“Because she has one? Chill, hyung. If you keep acting like this, you’ll screw it up.” Jongin chided Baekhyun gently before pointing at himself dignified. “If I got out of the friendzone, so can you. I have a plan.”

Baekhyun eyed the younger doubtfully. Jongin’s plans, how should he put it, they don’t work out the way they should usually. Not to mention, Baekhyun thought that his relationship with her, Taeyeon, shouldn’t concern Jongin or anybody else, it’s their business.

But before he could have said anything opposing to the idea, Baekhyun recognized a familiar face sauntering out of the men’s changing rooms.

“Jongdae!”

Jongdae perked up hearing his name and when he noticed Baekhyun, he smiled.

“Hi! Did you look for me outside? Sorry, I thought we’ll meet around here.”

Baekhyun shook his head, feeling a tad bit guilty for forgetting about Jongdae in his Taeyeon-haze of mind.

“It’s okay. We found our spot; you can join us by the pool.” He said, after realizing Jongdae had changed already. “Oh, and this is Jongin.”

“Nice to meet you, hyung.” Jongin greeted the stranger. “Look for my girlfriend. You’ll recognize her, she’s wearing a giant striped sunhat and she’s the prettiest girl around.”

Jongdae chuckled and left, nodding.

Baekhyun made a face.

“Why you have to be so cheesy?”

“It’s just the truth.” The younger responded easily. “He’s Minseok hyung’s cousin, right?”

Jongin said the latter when they were already inside, changing. Baekhyun, taken aback, almost dropped his towel and everything else underneath.

“Did Minseok hyung tell everyone?”

“If you haven’t muted our group chat, you would know.” Jongin shrugged before following up with. “He seems cool.”

“He’s possibly the kindest person I’ve ever met.” Baekhyun said without thinking, caring more about slipping into his swimming trunks than his words.

He was with his back to Jongin too, which is why Baekhyun didn’t see the intrigued expression on the younger’s face.

“Really? Chanyeol won’t like him then.”

They put their valuable things inside a coded locker and went back outside with towels around the neck. Right where the route to the different changing rooms meet, they stumbled upon Yeri and Taeyeon.

It took Baekhyun one glance at Taeyeon’s polka-dotted one-piece to become speechless.

Jongin mentally facepalmed.

“Did you see Sehun oppa?” Yeri asked, tiptoeing around the large outdoor pool, searching for one person in particular. “According to his manager, he’s getting off his shift soon.”

“Um, I think he’s at the wellness department then.” Jongin said, just as flabbergasted by Yeri’s knowledge of Sehun as Baekhyun and Taeyeon.

“Don’t be in such a rush, I’d like to know how you gathered that piece of information!” Taeyeon shouted after the younger girl, with parental warning, who was off to go where she was directed. She turned towards the two boys apologetically. “I’ll be there with you in a second, okay? It’s just...Yeri.”

“It’s okay.” Baekhyun said, watching Taeyeon’s retreating back and her long, black hair flowing after her.

“I see only your eyes are busy.”

“Can you blame me?” Baekhyun sighed then looked at Jongin. “Why did you tell Yeri that Sehun’s at the wellness section? You know he can’t stand strong smells.”

Before Baekhyun muted the group chat, it was full of Sehun complaining about the “odor” of massage oils used.

Jongin smirked.

“Because I’m the friend of Sehun and want to give him time to escape.”

“You’re so cruel!” Baekhyun exclaimed then proceeded to hit the younger with the towel in his neck. Jongin took the hits snickering.

By the time they arrived back to the lounge chairs, Amber and Chanyeol had successfully turned up as well. The former were lying lifelessly on a chair next to Soojung, the latter was going through his bag while sneaking glances at Jongdae reading a magazine.

Baekhyun plopped down in between Chanyeol and Jongdae, on the beach towel.

“Jongdae, have you done the introductions?”

“Yes, we’re done with it.” Jongdae answered, glancing up from reading. “I knew Amber from before though.”

“I went with him and Minseok once to canoe and I thought I’m going to die.” Amber explained the whole story even without asking where their acquaintance is from. “If Jongdae let me go, I would have been in trouble.”

“What a hero!” Soojung exclaimed from behind her giant shades, excitement shown only in her voice.

Jongdae smiled bashfully. Baekhyun patted his shoulder in approval before turning to Chanyeol who was suspiciously quiet.

“Who are you? Park Chanyeol is never late.”

“Hyung, leave him alone, he looks like he’s about to kill!” Jongin snickered from where he was applying sunscreen on himself.

Chanyeol grimaced and continued meddling with the pair of goggles in his hands.

“I’m the victim of a conspiracy, okay? Show me some sympathy, please.”

“And who conspired against you?” Amber asked, ridiculed. They lowered the sunshades on their eyes to look at their friend questioningly. “Your and socks?”

The joke made Jongin slip on the wet ground and almost fall over. Meanwhile Baekhyun fell back in his laugh, thankfully right into Jongdae’s lap instead of hitting his head on the concrete. Jongdae made no move to remove Baekhyun’s head from there, only chuckled along to the joke, causing his body, especially his abs, vibrate along.

Yesterday proved Jongdae has good stamina and that he works out more than Baekhyun does but Baekhyun was surprised to find out how fit Jongdae is. Coming to think of it, all his friends looked great. Jongin had well-defined muscles, but that was a given considering he’s doing ballet. However even Chanyeol, who swore to be as much of a homebody as Baekhyun is, had developed muscles and looked lean now. Or because of his height, fat just didn’t show on him like that? Anyway, Baekhyun felt a bit insecure next to them.

“Laugh as much as you want but it was serious!” Chanyeol proved his right ‘til the end, even if he was laughing at this point too, the sound coming out as a series of low “ha-ha-ha"-s. “Whatever, where is Sehun? I looked around briefly as we walked but I didn’t see him at all.”

“Let’s go and find him!” Jongin suggested.

Baekhyun looked up at Jongdae: his face appeared upside down in Baekhyun’s vision which made him grin, before asking:

“You’re coming?”

“Yeah, why not?” Jongdae answered and putting both hands on Baekhyun’s face, moved the boy’s head gently to the side so he can get up. “He’s a lifeguard, right? He can’t be that hard to miss.”

Jongdae seemed more or less comfortable among them but Baekhyun noticed he doesn’t act as leisurely as he did when they first met. Baekhyun hoped this will change.

The outdoor pool area was big and full of people. Families brought their children to have fun after another exhausting school year and teenagers flirted poolside over melona bars. Even so, finding a friend shouldn’t have been so hard.

“Call me blind but I don’t see him.” Chanyeol muttered before striking pose to a small group of girls were passing by. “Hey, ladies.”

Jongin slapped his shoulder with a chuckle.

“Maybe if you actually looked... I wish Kyungsoo or Junmyeon hyung was here, they would keep you in check!”

“They’re friends who couldn’t come.” Baekhyun told Jongdae but he found the other isn’t listening.

He was just about to ask if something’s wrong, however the next moment a small, and rather pretty, girl jumped on Jongdae’s back.

“Oppa!”

“Sunyoung, hi.” Jongdae greeted her and after spinning her around once, put Sunyoung down next to him. The others watched the spectacle in awe. “Guys, she’s Sunyoung, an old friend of mine. From left to right: Baekhyun, Jongin, Chanyeol.”

“Old as in we’ve known each other for a long time, I’m a year younger than him, actually.” Sunyoung chatted. She looked adorable with her high bun. “Whoa, oppa, I didn’t think you’ll come all the way from Siheung to see me!”

“That’s kind of a story for another day.” Jongdae explained before his eyes lit up. “Hey, you’re a lifeguard here too. Do you know a guy named Sehun?”

“He’s this tall and always looks like he doesn’t want to be here.” Chanyeol added in his two cents.

Sunyoung giggled at the description and motioned behind her back.

“Oh Sehun! Yeah, I’m about to switch for him. He’s standing on the other side of the pool.”

Reflexively, all boys looked where Sunyoung pointed at and there Sehun was, wildly gesturing at them to come over but something was off.

“Sehun dyed his hair?!” Baekhyun asked.

No wonder they didn’t recognize him. Last time they met Sehun, he was sporting a jet-black short cut, not a blonde middle-part with shaved sides.

“He’s so going to die.” Jongin blurted out before grabbing Chanyeol’s arm to drag him towards their friend finally found.

“Don’t tell me, he dyed his hair but didn’t tell you?” Jongdae cracked up and soon Baekhyun followed.

“Looks like it.”

“He looks cool with it though... just don’t tell him face to face, he’s super proud of it already.” Sunyoung said then lifted her hand for a wave. “I have to start my shift but feel free to come around. It was nice to see you again, Jongdae! Bye Baekhyun!”

Baekhyun glanced at Jongdae after Sunyoung left. They look good together, came the thought out of nowhere. Sunyoung seemed to be the perfect height for Jongdae, short but not too short, and they both had that glowing, friendly aura around them.

“I know what you’re thinking and no, we’re not dating.”

Baekhyun gasped.

“No, I mean...”

“She’s not my type.” Jongdae put it simply and curled an arm around Baekhyun’s shoulders. Jongdae’s skin was hot compared to his own, because of sunbathing earlier. Baekhyun shuddered at the contact. “Let’s go, I want to meet Sehun. He sounds fun!”

They arrived to the hilarious scene of Chanyeol and Jongin questioning Sehun’s choices, while the youngest was standing there unbothered.

“That better be temporary, or Principal Song will end you!”

“Of course, it’s temporary. I’m not stupid.”

“What about the shaved sides? And why didn’t you tell us?”

“My hair will grow back by the semester starts. And maybe I didn’t tell you because you would have reacted exactly like this and talked me out of it?” Sehun mocked before brushing through his beach-ready locks with an elegant hand. “Stop being jealous of my good looks... Baekhyun, who’s that?”

Baekhyun’s eye twitched.

“That’s hyung for you and this is Jongdae.”

“Hello, Sehun!” Jongdae chirped. “I like your hair.”

Sehun blinked in surprise at first but then his eyes turned crescent and his mouth pulled into a satisfied smile.

“Thanks, hyung.”

Baekhyun couldn’t stand the scene before him, for numerous reasons, but what pissed him off the most was how Sehun was acting so nice towards Jongdae suddenly. He knew that trick and he didn’t like it.

“Now that we paid our visit, we might as well leave you to work.” Baekhyun said and made a move to leave while holding onto a clueless Jongdae.

“What? No, I’m off work in five minutes, don’t leave me alone!” Sehun whined and grabbed Jongin’s hand in support.

Chanyeol stepped between the group of twos and taking advantage of his long arms, pulled all of them into a giant bearhug. Jongin and Baekhyun hissed as their heads collided a little.

“No one goes anywhere when we’ve all finally made it to the pool! I’ll say it’s water volleyball battle time and the losing team buys the food.”

“That’s nice and all but we’re uneven.” Sehun pointed it out after getting out from the squished hug, immediately reaching to check his hair.

“We can just have an extra member who switches between teams.”

But who will it be? Baekhyun carried his gaze around their group. It wasn’t voiced but obviously no one wanted to do it. It sounded exhausting and seemed to be such a leftover role.

“I’ll do it.” Jongdae and Baekhyun said pretty much at the same time. They looked at each other, their meeting eyes saying the same two words – let me. Baekhyun didn’t want Jongdae to be the extra, even if Jongdae was willing to take on the challenge. It was “bad” enough Jongdae was a newcomer, he really didn’t need to feel more of an outsider.

Chanyeol rolled his eyes at their sync.

“Do rock-paper-scissors, it’s really not that important.”

“Or, Baekhyun can go back to the girls and we can get to know Jongdae better.” Jongin proposed suddenly, throwing Baekhyun off. Is Jongin serious?

“But I -”

“It’s a good idea actually... No offense Baek’, but I feel like you’re looking out for me a little too much.” Jongdae admitted before half-hugging Baekhyun and sending him the sweetest look he can muster. “I’ll win some free food for you, okay?”

Baekhyun sighed and shrugged Jongdae’s arm off.

“Yeah, sure.” Accepting his faith, Baekhyun turned around to return to their designated spot. He was a bit annoyed, to find Jongin jogging after him. “Don’t you have a game to play?”

“I was about to ask the same thing.” Jongin grinned and put both hands on his hyung’s shoulder to stop him for a second. “We’re not around to tease you for it and the girls are all rooting for you. Now’s your chance!”

Baekhyun saw through Jongin’s masterplan instantly.

“You- What am I supposed to do?!”

“Work your charms... and please, hyung, don't act like a fool!”
 
 

* * *

 
 
Unlike the boys, the girls planned to spend the day passively – tanning, talking, resting. Amber and Soojung were lying fallen asleep on the lounge chairs when Baekhyun returned and Yeri was nowhere to be seen, leaving only Taeyeon to chat with him. Such his luck!

“I guess you found Sehun.” The girl initiated a conversation.

“Yes, after all.” Baekhyun answered tentatively, looking around. There was a perfectly empty lounge chair next to Taeyeon’s but was he supposed to sit there? What if it was Yeri’s place?

His hesitation didn’t go unnoticed by Taeyeon. She smiled and patted the space next to her.

“You can sit here. Knowing Yeri she won’t come back for a while.”

Baekhyun agreed with a hum and sat on the edge of the seat, slightly uncomfortable. Why was he feeling so timid suddenly? He’s never felt like this around Taeyeon before.

Maybe it’s because she’s so perfect, Baekhyun thought while sneakily stealing glances at the older girl as she was doing something on her phone, the light wind brushing her bangs away from her forehead. And even though she’s this close to me, she feels kind of unreachable.

Work your charms, Jongin’s words replayed in Baekhyun’s mind and he gulped. What are his charms again? Oh right, he’s funny.

“They’re afraid I’d beat them up in water volleyball, that’s why they sent me back.”

Taeyeon turned away from her phone to smile at him.

“Is that so?”

"Well, they didn’t say it but I could see it in their eyes.”

“What did you see in their eyes exactly?”

“Fear.”

Taeyeon laughed, the sound reverberating in Baekhyun’s ears pleasantly. He’s always loved cracking jokes and making people smile but when he succeeded in making the older girl to do so...

“Unnie, you didn’t forget to put on sunscreen, did you? You look a bit red.”

Taeyeon looked at her arms at Soojung’s calling.

“Hm, I guess I need to put on another coat, it’s starting to wear off.”

“Baekhyun-a, you should help.” Amber added, answering Baekhyun’s disapproving look with a mischievous quirk of eyebrow. “After all, there are certain areas she can’t reach... We’ll go and get some drinks!”

If I knew this is what Jongin meant by the girls are all rooting for you, Baekhyun bemoaned in his head. How do they even know about his crush? Who told them?!

“It’s fine.” Taeyeon said quietly while getting sunscreen from her bag.

“No, I’ll help you with it. It’s okay.”

The words left Baekhyun’s mouth before he could have dwelled on them but he didn’t mind. It was not supposed to be a big deal and for Baekhyun it was just another way of showing: he cares.

While Taeyeon spread sunscreen on her arms, Baekhyun grabbed the container and squirted some on his hands. Rubbing his palms together, he couldn’t help but notice how quiet Taeyeon got. It wasn’t because he was overstepping boundaries, right? She didn’t feel frightened?

“Something’s wrong, noona?” Baekhyun asked before pressing his fingers flat on her back. Her skin proved to be very smooth.

“No, I think I’m just a little sleepy.”

Even her response sounded strange. Baekhyun wished he could see her face but she was with her back to him. His hands working the sunscreen in gently, Baekhyun made sure not to make any weird moves so Taeyeon won’t think of him being inappropriate and yet, the air around them turned weird.

“It’s not an issue that I -”

“The sunscreen? No, of course not. I have six male cousins and they always look out for me.” Her voice got warmer for a second. “I know you’re just being a help.”

Baekhyun couldn’t help but get disheartened a little, his hands rubbing circles on Taeyeon’s back slowing. That’s what I am for her, huh? A help always within reach. A joke always to laugh at...

It was a sudden urge acted upon but Baekhyun felt too overwhelmed to change his mind – his hands came forward and wrapped around Taeyeon’s shoulders loosely, Baekhyun’s chin coming to rest on one shoulder, in a rushed and barely-there backhug.

“Noona, I was waiting for you yesterday. Why didn’t you come?”

The question sitting on Baekhyun’s chest was finally off - and its weight fell on both of them. Taeyeon stiffened in his hold which worried Baekhyun. I don’t even know what I want to hear as an answer... What would make me feel better? I thought I’ll feel lighter when I asked but I don’t.

“That was yesterday?” Taeyeon asked mortified and squirmed so Baekyun let go of her. “Oh my God, I totally forgot about it! I’m sorry.”

So, she forgot about it, Baekhyun thought in disbelief and retreated. He didn’t know what to think, the unexpected answer completely caught him off guard.

Taeyeon turned to face him, her eyes deeply apologetic.

“I- I don’t know what to say. I’m so sorry! Yesterday... yesterday was a long day, I didn’t even have time to check my messages.” She rambled on before grabbing Baekhyun’s hand, startling him immensely. “I’ll make it up to you okay? I feel horrible I did this to you. You didn’t wait all afternoon, did you?”

Baekhyun stared at their clasped hands, his mind a jumble of thoughts. Her touch didn’t feel as nice as previously, if anything, made his skin crawl and feel stuffy. But Baekhyun tried his best not to show it. Taeyeon kept looking at him with her doe eyes, ashamed - he felt like he shouldn’t make her feel any worse.

“Huh? No. I waited a good twenty minutes then left... Ah, I should have known something happened, you’re not the type to bail on me, noona!” He said and jokingly bumped their shoulders. “Apology accepted. And, um, I think I’m finished with your back.”

“Oh, right. Thank you!” Taeyeon didn’t look much better but at least a small smile crawled up to her face. She leaned in, the space between them drastically lessening. “Do you want me to do the same for you? Now that I’m looking at you this closely you look quite flushed. Baekhyun-a, did you put on any sunscreen at all?”

Baekhyun glanced at Taeyeon’s intrigued face then at the almost non-existent space between them. This would have been the perfect opportunity to kiss her – but he didn’t. Not just because they were in a public place, but because Baekhyun interpreted Taeyeon’s earlier behavior as she’s not comfortable with skinship just yet. Not the kind of skinship Baekhyun would very much like to have, at least...

Maybe she doesn’t like me that way at all and I’m just imagining all of it, the fleeting thought came to Baekhyun.

The pullback to reality was Taeyeon’s hand on his forehead.

“Oh my, you’re burning up. Lay down, I’ll fetch some water for you.”

“I’m -” ‘I’m okay’ is what Baekhyun meant to say if the older girl didn’t interrupt him.

“I’ve been babysitting children for years; I know what a beginning of a sunstroke is like. Please, listen to me and don’t move an inch. I’ll be right back!”

Since Taeyeon was rushing away the moment those words left , Baekhyun laid down on the lounge chair and dropped his arm on his forehead to shield his eyes from the burning sun shining down on him. Now that it was brought to his attention, he did feel strangely dizzy. And his skin; his skin felt like it was suddenly too small for him...

“Wow, look at him. He’s dead.”

“Hyung!”

“What? I’m not wrong. Quickly, water!”

The voices sounded filtered as they reached Baekhyun’s ears. The next second he opened his eyes, he was welcomed with a gentle but worried gaze and a cool, slightly calloused hand on his forehead.

“Jongdae.”

“You’re an idiot.” Jongdae murmured and sitting on the chair, gathered Baekhyun’s limp body in his arms to lay back with Baekhyun’s head cradled on his chest. He must have just emerged from the pool because droplets of water were stuck to his skin, each feeling like an icicle on Baekhyun’s heated skin. “You must look out for yourself.”

“If Taeyeon’s cousins were here, nothing would have happened. They look out for each other.”

“What are you babbling about?” Jongdae asked, confused, one of his hands settling on Baekhyun’s head, petting.

Baekhyun blinked his eyes open, trying to look at Jongdae’s face and explain but the sudden rush of cold water hosed on him caught him off.

By the time Taeyeon came back with first aid, both Baekhyun and Jongdae were drenched, in courtesy of Chanyeol, Sehun and Jongin. After a quick check up, the medic told them that Baekhyun is not in danger anymore but he should be laid down in a shaded room and get treated for his awful sunburn.

“How could you not use sunscreen, like not at all?” Chanyeol complained after Baekhyun was immediately brought home. He kneeled next to his friend lying on the bed sullenly and grasped Baekhyun’s hand between his much bigger ones. “I don’t want to lose my best friend to the almighty Sun!”

“Stop being so dramatic.” Sehun kicked Chanyeol in the .

“He’s exaggerating but it could have been worse.” Jongin commented before turning to his girlfriend, now sporting a pretty tan. “Soojung-a, you and Amber were there. You didn’t notice hyung was slowly turning into a crab?”

She pouted.

“No.”

“In our defense, we were leaving him some privacy, because, you know.” Amber said ambiguously which made Baekhyun cough fervently.

Hearing that, a lecherous grin made its way to Chanyeol’s face. He poked Baekhyun’s shoulder.

“Ouch, stop poking me! Every inch of my skin hurts.”

“How did it go? You can tell us now, everyone knows.”

“Glad you mentioned! How does everyone know?” Baekhyun tried to divert the attention to a slightly different topic.

For a long second nobody had anything to say then surprisingly Soojung, the quietest among them, broke the silence.

“It’s written on your forehead that you’re head over heels for her, oppa. Those who say they don’t see it, are pretending they’re not.”

“What is that supposed to mean?” Sehun voiced his confusion over Soojung’s interesting way of expressing herself.

Baekhyun understood. If anything, it was eye-opening in a sense.

“Anyway, I just hope you used your free time well because while you were cozying up on the lounge chair, your newfound friend was beating our in volleyball, mine especially!” Chanyeol exclaimed, his eyes narrowing. “Is it too late to drop him? He’s not boring, kind of fun to be fair; but I sense something bad about him.”

“Let’s not talk about your senses after you were searching for your stuff all morning, stuff that you have already packed by then, mind you, while me and your sister were waiting for you in the car, okay?” Amber warned, still salty about that.

Baekhyun sighed. “Sorry, ‘Yeol, Jongdae’s staying.”

“I’m glad to hear you’re not kicking me out just yet.”

All turned to the door hearing Jongdae’s chirpy voice as he returned to the room. Baekhyun gulped. Hopefully Jongdae didn’t hear everything else before his last sentence.

Whether he did or not, Jongdae brought fresh lemonade for everybody so the awkwardness of the situation dissipated quickly. They chatted a little then said goodbye one by one, until only Jongdae left.

“The longer I stay, the later your mom will come up here to scold you.” Jongdae explained then clicked his tongue when Baekhyun tried to sit up and flinched. “Does it hurt that much?”

“I think this is how roasted chicken must feel like.” Baekhyun huffed and turned to support his back with the cool wall next to his bed. He glanced at Jongdae. “How does it look, though? I don’t think I can drag myself to a mirror.”

Jongdae rolled his eyes.

“Your looks are the least important thing right now.”

“Well, maybe for you, but I promised my dad that I’ll watch the store for him tomorrow and I don’t want to scare the customers away... On a scale of one to ten, how bad this sunburn makes me look?”

Jongdae hummed.

“Compared to earlier?”

“Duh.”

“Seven.”

“A whole seven?! Give me a reflective surface right now.” Baekhyun shrieked and scrambled across his bed to check himself in the little view his window could give. “Oh no!”

No wonder Jongin called him a crab earlier: his whole face was an angry shade of red, but especially his cheekbones, nose and ears; a complete tourist’s sunburn and he’s yet to see the rest of his body!

Jongdae pulled Baekhyun back by pinching the material of his T-shirt between two fingers.

“It’ll be better tomorrow.”

“Yeah, my skin will start to peel. It’ll look amazing.” Baekhyun murmured and closed his eyes for a second. When he opened them, he caught Jongdae staring at him. “Look at you, you’ve tanned.”

It wasn’t too noticeable but since Jongdae’s skin tone was similarly fair, Baekhyun could see the difference. Compared to himself, Jongdae looked perfectly sunkissed though.

“I always do. Even if I put on sunscreen, unlike someone else.” Jongdae teased his friend before dropping his gaze on the bedsheet. “Can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“Who is Taeyeon?”

Alarmed, Baekhyun looked Jongdae in the eye but he saw nothing but curiosity.

“The others didn’t tell you?”

“Oh, is she the girl you like?” Jongdae put two and two together. “Chanyeol kept talking about her but didn’t say a name.”

“She was there at the pool with us today too, it’s a wonder you didn’t bump into each other.” Baekhyun said before snorting. “I think I like her but it’s not that easy. You know, the day we met, I was supposed to meet her but she never showed up.”

Baekhyun had no idea why he’s talking about it to anyone, especially to Jongdae, but there was something comforting about the situation. Maybe because they were in Baekhyun’s room, closed off from outside; and Jongdae wasn’t pushy, let Baekhyun tell as much as he wants.

“Did she explain herself to you?” Jongdae asked and Baekhyun felt thankful he’s not throwing a pity party for him right from the start.

“Not until today. And I have a feeling that if I didn’t directly ask, she might have never told me why she didn’t come.”

“That’s heavy. Are you sure?”

“I don’t know.” Baekhyun sighed and put his hands behind his head, his eyes trained on the ceiling. “There’s something else too.”

“There’s more to this story?”

“This is a never-ending story! I’ve been chasing after her for what, a year? And I’m still stuck on square one, it’s frustrating.”

Seeing Baekhyun’s mini tantrum, Jongdae sat closer with a grin.

“Isn’t square one the most exciting part of it?”

Baekhyun met Jongdae’s eyes warily. Maybe it was the right time to tell that Baekhyun’s never been in a serious relationship in his seventeen years of life but Jongdae looked too confident. Jongdae looked like he had more experience when it came to things like this and it was humiliating enough for Baekhyun to keep his mouth shut.

Instead, Baekhyun told what’s been on his mind ever since departing from the pool.

“You know what she said? She said she forgot about it. Forgot our date... And it’s not like her, not at all.”

“You think she lied to you?”

“I don’t think she did, I know.”

The hurt that’s been hiding in the back of his mind was threatening to come to the surface as Baekhyun let it all out. He kind of wanted to cry but not in front of somebody else so he vehemently tried keeping his tears back until Jongdae leaves. It was such a horrible accusation but Baekhyun found no other way to explain it. He thought Taeyeon is too responsible and earnest to forget about a promise... much more to lie about something like that; however, it was too suspicious altogether. She acted weirdly. And even though she said she’ll make it up for me, I have a feeling that she won’t do a thing.

Baekhyun hissed when Jongdae put a hand on his shoulder.

“Oops, sorry.” Jongdae said and pulled back instantly. He continued in a warm voice. “I don’t know her but from what you’ve just told me, it appears to me that she has just realized what’s going on?”

“Perhaps. I gave her a backhug and she froze up.”

Jongdae fell on the bed with a laugh. It was probably because of Baekhyun’s choice of words, regardless Baekhyun poked Jongdae’s leg with his own in dislike.

“It’s not funny.”

“I know, sorry, just the way you said it...” Jongdae sat back up, his eyes gleaming with mischief. “You never hugged before?”

“We did but not like this.” Baekhyun corrected, feeling his ears burning up, thinking back to the scenario.

The sight made Jongdae’s eyebrows lift.

“How exactly did you hug her?”

“Well, you know how a backhug works. I put my arms...”

Struggling with both technicalities and embarrassment, Baekhyun ignored the pain and shuffled over to Jongdae to lightly turn him around and wrap his arms around Jongdae’s shoulders, just like he did with Taeyeon.

“Like this.” Baekhyun said quietly, his chin propped on Jongdae’s bony shoulder.

This hug proved to be much more comfortable, surprisingly. Jongdae didn’t move for a long second then he relaxed against Baekhyun’s body, his hand coming up to be put on one of Baekhyun’s arms leisurely. Baekhyun found they fit together quite well. It was almost like if he held Jongdae just a little longer, Jongdae could melt into him.

“I think she didn’t expect a hug. Otherwise I see no reason why she wouldn’t be okay with this.” Jongdae said slowly, brushing a finger along Baekhyun’s forearm.

It was something like a reassurement. Baekhyun hummed, too cozy to address their position.

Instead, he said:

“So, I shouldn’t give up?”

“Not just yet. But you have to be more attentive to her. I know how easy it is to get in your head, these emotions can be a little too much sometimes.” Jongdae explained, his voice quiet and soothing.

Baekhyun decided to take that advice.

A minute had already passed but for some reason he didn’t want to let go.

“Is it okay if we stay like this a little more?”

It was a bit risky but from what Baekhyun has learned about Jongdae under this little time, is that he seemed to be quite the touchy person. So maybe he didn’t mind it.

“Yes. It doesn’t hurt anymore?”

Baekhyun smiled, letting his head bump against Jongdae’s lightly; his skin on fire but his heart featherlight in his chest.

“No, it doesn’t.”