Chapter 1

Darling

This chapter is 3,999 words long and approximately takes 22 minutes 13 seconds to read, if you read average 3 words per second


 
Band-aid

 

Baekhyun blamed his excessively sweating palms on the summer heat; but not his anxiously pounding heart. He clumsily wiped his hands in his jean shorts and checked the time on his wristwatch – 4.50. Ten minutes more. Just ten minutes more. 

It was probably foolish of him to show up twenty minutes earlier than the agreed time but he just couldn’t stay at home any longer. It wasn’t any occasion, after all! He’s been waiting so long for this. And it’s better to be early than late, he thought. 

Ten minutes, which seemed nothing during watching his favorite TV show, felt forever for Baekhyun as he was standing on the burning sidewalk, a fresh coat of sweat covering his palms and now his nape, too. He wished he would have brought the bottle of water his mother was so keen on him taking with himself but was essentially too in his head to bring. Or if he could at least get himself a cone of ice cream from the stand on the opposite side of the road... but that would be rude. She would think he couldn’t wait for her, when in reality, he’s been waiting for her, all this time. 

The thought itself was enough for Baekhyun to feel even hotter on such a scorching day. She... who’s so beautiful. Witty. And honest. She always knows what to say and when she’s speechless for a second, she's so endearing Baekhyun really has a hard time not to tell her... tell her that he... 

Baekhyun checked the time again, more out of habit than anything else. It was 5.05. Maybe her bus is late. The traffic isn’t bad at this time around but because of the summer break, the schedule of public transport had changed. 

At 5.15, Baekhyun thought to himself, maybe she missed that bus. He even went into a nearby café to buy some pricey drink and leech on their Wi-Fi, to find out if she messaged him on Kokoa, with something like “hey, sorry, I'm going to be a bit late, but I’ll make it! Just watch!!” but their conversation showed their last exchange of messages which was the very arrangement of this... meet up. The word stung just as bad as the first time Baekhyun read it in her message. 

And it rang truer than ever, as the clock on the wall of the café showed 5.30 and she was nowhere to be found. Baekhyun drank the last bit of the banana drink he ordered without looking and walked out of the café. He’s drunk all that smoothie but his heart remained thirsty. So ironic and cringey... but feels appropriate. 

She must have figured this meet up isn’t worth her time after all but she’s too nice to tell me off, Baekhyun thought, carelessly walking down the street with his hands in his pockets, his heart heavier than ever. She’ll probably hit me up later with something like “Sorry, something came up! But let me make it up to you!!” and I'll say something like “sure, no problem!” when in real, it hurts. I’d just rather not show it. I’m a man, after all... 

Baekhyun scoffed at that, which earned him a strange look from a passerby, but he didn’t care. I’m such a man I can’t get to the girl I like. If Baekbeom was here, he would laugh at me and call me a loser. Am I loser, though? 

The fact that he could just call her up and talk it out showed itself for a second but Baekhyun dismissed it as quickly as it came. What use would it have? It’d be just awkward for both of them. No, Baekhyun might ask her when they bump into each other, they will, they always do; and if the opportunity rises, he might ask her. And whatever reason she has, they’ll laugh it off. She always says she likes Baekhyun’s humor. So much that she occasionally, or more like most of the time, fails to notice that Baekhyun doesn’t joke around every single time. 

“It’s because you have a funny character”, Chanyeol’s words echoed in Baekhyun’s ear for a second but he shook his head to forget it. Oh boy, the last thing he wants to think about when he feels this miserable is Chanyeol and his advices. His ty advices, to be precise. Baekhyun wished he didn’t listen to his tall best friend when he said Baekhyun should just message her and ask her out like that, instead of “waiting around like waiting would solve anything, go big or go home!” in Chanyeol’s words. Well, Baekhyun went big and now he’s going home because this didn’t work out as planned at all. Some casual gaming will be good for his nerves. 

“Excuse me.” 

At first Baekhyun thought the words weren’t meant for him, because he was in motion and the stranger was way behind him when he spoke up. But when Baekhyun heard footsteps behind him, and the same calling again, he abruptly stopped and turned around. 

“Yes?” 

The stranger, a boy around his height and probably his age too, halted before they could have bumped into each other. 

“Sorry for chasing after you like this but I’m kind of lost. Do you happen to know where the Yangjae Park is?” 

Baekhyun blinked back at the boy wondering. He guessed he’s not from the city, otherwise he would have known a popular park like that. 

“Yangjae is on the other side of the city.” 

“Pardon?” 

“If you’re coming this way, you’re going to the opposite direction.” Baekhyun explained, his mouth unconsciously pulling into a smirk, seeing the stranger’s dumbfounded expression. “First time in the capital?” 

“Not the first time either in the capital, or in the park, but I’ve never watched the road so I have no idea where to go.” The boy said, scratching the back of his neck sheepishly. He was wearing a sleeveless shirt, just like Baekhyun, but his was more cut open on the sides, letting Baekhyun see the boys’s suffering from the heat just like himself is. “Um, would it be too much to ask you to show me the way? I promised to meet up with a few people and I’m already late.” 

The irony of the situation fell on Baekhyun’s shoulders like a heavy log of wood but he did his best not to show it on the outside. This boy had nothing to do with Baekhyun’s unsuccessful love life, ultimately. 

“Sure, I can show you.” 

“Really? Thanks!” The boy’s eyes pretty much lit up with happiness and they made Baekhyun feel a bit better about not going straight home to beat some more monsters for his quest. “I’m Jongdae, by the way.” 

Jongdae. What an old-fashioned name and still, Baekhyun thought it suits its bearer based on his first impression. The name sounded chirpy yet mellow for Baekhyun, just like Jongdae seemed in his way of speaking and appearance - his mouth had natural, playful curves at its edges and his voice was pleasant for Baekhyun’s ears. Baekhyun had an overall good feeling about him and during their little chat on the way to the park, he became certain Jongdae is a fun person to be around. 

Not to mention, Jongdae told him that he’s coming from an exchange year from China – and that he was supposed to continue his studies in his original high school in Siheung but he decided to enroll to the very high school Baekhyun is studying at. 

“Are you kidding me?” 

“No, I am starting the second semester at Hanrim... Why, you’re going there too?” When Baekhyun nodded, still in disbelief at such turn of events, Jongdae made a sound halfway between surprise and delight. “Really? What a coincidence!” 

Jongdae didn’t know which class he’s going to be in yet, school was a few more weeks away thankfully, but the more Baekhyun found out about Jongdae, and the more common things they found out about themselves, the surer Baekhyun became of that he wouldn’t mind being classmates with this guy. It was a crazy thought, they didn’t know each other for long when it came down to it, but Baekhyun was always open to new friendships (especially next to a sometimes-exhausting friend like Chanyeol). 

Next to Chanyeol, Jongdae seemed a lot more chill, maybe even kinder; and definitely better-looking. When Jongdae was looking ahead, talking about a singer they both like, very immersed; Baekhyun checked out his side profile and wow. Baekhyun never had an issue with his own looks but he always thought he looks a bit average. Jongdae, on the other hand, looked everything but average with his unique features which might have looked strange singled out but made perfect sense on Jongdae’s face together. He had high cheekbones to be envious of, a prominent nose and a few moles scattered around and... Baekhyun came to the ridiculous conclusion that she would not turn down someone like Jongdae. 

“Baekhyun~” 

Baekhyun snapped out of his jumble of thoughts at Jongdae’s long-drawn call of his name. 

“What?” 

“Tell me honestly.” His choice of words made Baekhyun anxious for a second. Did Jongdae ask something that he forgot to hear? Did he say some of those thoughts out loud?! “Is there something on my face?” 

The question itself was kind of comical so Baekhyun snorted at it.  

“What do you mean?” 

“I ate before I left home and you were... Nevermind.” Jongdae changed his mind like that and flashed a wide smile at his newfound friend instead. “I think I know the route from here now!” 

Baekhyun froze but taking in their surroundings, he understood. The entrance to the park was a few meters away, very hard to miss. 

The thing is, Baekhyun felt a wave of disappointment wash over him. After such a disaster of an afternoon, it felt nice to hang out with someone. Jongdae took his mind off of things, minus this and that; and after having such a fun company, going home to game seemed boring. But Jongdae had a meet up where his people probably showed up, so who was Baekhyun to interrupt? 

“Ah, you’re right. The park’s right there.” Baekhyun said before looking at Jongdae and giving him a thankful smile. “It was nice bumping into you and I hope we see each other at Hanrim too.” 

“I hope for the same but... ah, you didn’t let me finish and now you must think I’m trying to send you off! That’s not what I want to do though.” Jongdae realized the intention behind Baekhyun’s words at instant. He put a gentle hand Baekhyun’s shoulder and gazed at him with even gentler eyes. “My cousin called me out to play soccer with his friends. I wanted to ask if you’d like to join. If you don’t have other plans.” 

His words implied Jongdae would like if he stayed to play soccer with them and that gave Baekhyun a sense of joy. 

“Sounds good!... But will your cousin and his friends be okay with it?” 

“Well, we’ll find out!” Seeing the panicked face Baekhyun made, Jongdae chuckled. “Don’t be like that. I didn’t tell them I’ll bring company but I don’t think they’ll mind. The more the merrier, right?” 

The more, the merrier, is what Baekhyun put his faith in as he walked on Jongdae’s side towards the group of boys fooling around on the field. There were three of them, seemingly older than him and Jongdae, but the peculiar thing was, they looked a bit familiar. One of them strangely much! 

“FInally, Jongdae! Hoseok started to worry you got lost or... Baekhyun-a!” 

“Hi, hyung.” Baekhyun greeted Minseok, not wanting to believe his eyes. First, he meets his future schoolmate on accident and now he meets his close hyung whom he declined in favor of the date that didn’t happen? How is this possible? 

Jongdae looked between the two boys intrigued. 

“You know each other?” 

“Yes, Baekhyun is one of my favorite dongsaengs!” Minseok shared happily, however his eyes at the moment narrowing at said dongsaeng. “Fun fact, I called him out today too but he brushed me off. Change of plans?” 

“Yeah, more or less.” Baekhyun answered, wanting to drop the topic. Only Chanyeol knew what he was up to and he preferred it like that. 

Minseok shook his head good-naturedly and went to put an arm around Jongdae, instead of questioning further (to Baekhyun’s relief.) Jongdae smiled upon the contact. 

“You’ve got lost, haven’t you?” 

“Hyung, don’t tease me~” Jongdae whined, trying to get out from under Minseok’s muscly arm but not having enough strength to do so before glancing at Baekhyun and explaining. “He's my cousin.” 

Baekhyun made an understanding “ah”-sound but it couldn’t have been too convincing because Minseok laughed. 

“Right, we don’t look alike much.” 

“I inherited the better genes in the family, granted.” Jongdae added mischievously which earned him some whoops from Minseok’s friends and a weak jab of elbow from Minseok himself, right into Jongdae’s side. “What? Auntie says this all the time.” 

“No, you’re just a mama’s boy.” 

“I can’t help that your mom knows the truth but you don’t!” 

Baekhyun watched the two of them bicker, entertained. Minseok told him and their other common friends that he has a lot of cousins but he didn’t mention one of them is going to go to school with them. Regardless, they seemed to have a strong bond and Baekhyun was glad Jongdae’s cousin turned out to be Minseok. 

“Alright, now that we’re finally all here, let’s play!” Minseok exclaimed and turned to Jongdae. “As a warm welcome, you’re team captains with me. Choose wisely because I’m in my top form today.” 

Jongdae rolled his eyes and to play along, said: 

“Thank you for the warning but I’m in a good condition as well. If I were you, I’d watch my back!” 

They divided into teams of three and Baekhyun ended up on Jongdae’s team, along with Minseok’s university friend, Changmin. Baekhyun wasn’t too much into soccer usually, or any form of sports for the record, but maybe because of all the stress of the day, he felt more than ready to let loose and release all the stress by participating in a friendly game of soccer. 

As expected, Minseok ruled the field. He had the ball the most and hardly could anyone took the lead from him. By the end of the first half, Minseok’s team lead with three goals next to Jongdae’s two. 

“I see someone’s competitive.” Jongdae commented on Baekhyun’s performance during the five minutes break they pulled before the second half. 

Baekhyun drank from the bottle of water they fetched earlier from a nearby vending machine satisfied. He knew for sure his muscles will be horribly sore the next day, not used to so much moving around, but he scored one of the two goals for their team and that made it worth it. 

“I guess this is just what I needed.” Baekhyun responded before putting the cold beverage next to his face and sighed. “I should work out or something. I’ve been sitting at home all summer break; I’m getting out of shape... Water?” 

Jongdae hummed and took over the bottle from Baekhyun to take a long chug from it: 

“Minseok’s quite sporty. Besides soccer, he goes to the gym frequently and the last week before school we go canoeing, it’s kind of a tradition... You could come with us. There’s space in the boat.” 

Another invitation – Baekhyun started to question his luck on finding a friend so quickly. Maybe this was his reward for being stood up? 

“I don’t know. I’ve never been canoeing before.” He answered truthfully. “Is it hard?” 

“For the first time, yeah. But we could practice before going for the real thing. Or you can just come and we’ll do the paddling.” 

Baekhyun had to chuckle at the image. 

“That’d be kind of unfair, wouldn’t it? I’d feel bad for you, doing all the work.” 

“It’s fine. Minseok hyung’s so strong he could paddle the boat alone.” Jongdae chuckled along before poking Baekhyun’s leg with his foot. “If you score us another goal, I’ll treat you to bingsu. Deal?” 

Baekhyun didn’t have to think twice before answering. 

“Deal!” 

“Alright, besties, time’s up!” Changmin came to them and tugged on one arm each to make his teammates line up. “We better get this win before Minseok gets too cocky.” 

Perhaps it was the free ice cream but Baekhyun did score one more goal for his team. Too bad, Minseok’s team scored two more and eventually they won by 5 : 3.  

“Not bad, Baekhyun. If you keep this up, I might recruit you for the team.” Minseok acknowledged Baekhyun’s contribution both in words and in a friendly tap on the back. 

Baekhyun had to laugh at that ridiculous idea. 

“I hate running.” 

“Why? Running is relaxing.” Jongdae chimed in while getting a towel for Baekhyun. The latter took it with a smile. “Hyung, I don’t know about you but we’re done. Is it okay if we bail?” 

Minseok lifted his eyebrows but eventually nodded. 

“Yeah. We’ve been doing just fine before you arrived. But we’ll take you home when we’re finished, ok? Leave your phone on sound, so you hear me when I’ll call you.” 

“Yes, I will.” Jongdae answered dutifully, easy to hear in his voice that he’s a bit annoyed with his cousin’s pampering. “Let’s go, Baekhyun!” 

The café they ended up in was luckily not the one Baekhyun visited earlier – it was one of Jongdae’s favorites, a café he swore to visit every time he comes to Seoul. 

“We eat here so much I wouldn’t be surprised if the waiter recognized me.” Jongdae joked before pushing the menu lightly towards the boy sitting in front of him. “I recommend this one but choose whatever.” 

Baekhyun stuck to his usual toppings, too eager for the taste to experiment. Jongdae, on the other hand, picked something Baekhyun hasn’t had yet. 

“It looks huge.” Baekhyun couldn’t help but say, looking at the size of vanilla ice cream and mix of fruits on Jongdae’s plate. 

Jongdae chuckled and wiped the spot of ice cream landing hear his mouth instead of in it. 

“It is and it’s delicious! Wanna taste?” 

Baekhyun grabbed his spoon but he hesitated. Jongdae was so straightforward yet smooth. They’d just met but he already acted like they’ve been friends for a few years. Regardless, Baekhyun didn’t want to abuse his kindness. 

“It’s fine, I still have a lot to eat.” 

“Hey, I saw you eyeing mine earlier!” Jongdae opposed in a cutesy voice. He scooped up a good bite containing a little bit of everything he was served with and stretched his spoon out towards Baekhyun with a challenging quirk of eyebrow. “Come on. You won’t regret it~” 

Baekhyun looked from the inviting bite offered to him to Jongdae’s glinting eyes in a wild mix of confusion and curiosity. There was something in Jongdae’s eyes that was telling him to ditch formalities. So Baekhyun ditched them liked that. 

Jongdae’s lips pulled into a pleasant smile seeing Baekhyun’s lips close around the spoon and take the bite with a hum. 

“How is it?” 

“Great. Wow.” Baekhyun exclaimed, chasing the taste on his tongue before motioning towards his own plate, his eyes lifting at Jongdae timidly. “You want some of mine?” 

Jongdae shrugged. 

“Only if you feed me.” 

Baekhyun scoffed at his flippant attitude. 

“I won’t.” 

“Why, I fed you!” 

“I didn’t ask you to feed me!” 

“What’s the difference?” 

Baekhyun snickered and put more shaved ice in his mouth instead of responding to Jongdae, who leaned back in his seat childishly fuming. Ah, even bickering with Jongdae proved to be fun. They just match, don’t they? 

Baekhyun was about to say something like that but Jongdae spoke up first. 

“Are you feeling better?” 

Baekhyun almost dropped his spoon, he was so caught off guard. Thankfully, he regained his composure just in time so when his eyes met Jongdae’s, he regained his composure. 

“Did I look down?” 

“From the moment I’ve met you. Just a little but I could spot it. And when on the field you said you needed this; I figured, ah, something’s troubling this guy.” Jongdae explained, playing with the remaining melted ice on his plate. “You don’t need to talk to me about it if you don’t want to. I just want to know if you’re feeling better now.” 

Baekhyun stared at Jongdae in wonder. He should have been worried that if Jongdae noticed, Minseok’s probably noticed it too, which means later he’ll ask Chanyeol if he knows something, which could possibly lead to others finding out about his failed date but... Baekhyun didn’t think of that, at all. The only thing on his mind was that Jongdae must be a really caring friend and individual in general. He sounded like he meant it when he said he doesn’t want to know. If it was Chanyeol, he would have gone to hell and back to figure out how it went down. (Chanyeol’ll probably be like this later when he asks.) Baekhyun felt like Jongdae had applied a band-aid on his wounded heart and wow, that was cheesy but felt just like that. 

“I’m feeling better. I kind of forgot what happened, I had so much fun.” Baekhyun admitted and smiled up gratefully at the nice friend ahead of him. “Thanks, Jongdae!” 

Jongdae reciprocated with a smile of his own. 

“You’re welcome.” 

They didn’t talk much after this, both too focused on finishing their desserts. But when the waiter came up to them with their bill, Baekhyun took charge. 

“I’ll pay.” 

“Hey, it was my treat.” Jongdae complained at instant. “Take it as my gratitude for showing me around.” 

“No, it doesn’t work like that. When it comes down to it, you’ve taken care of me just as much.” Baekhyun reasoned and before Jongdae could have a retort to that, gave the required amount of bank notes to the waiter. “Please keep the change.” 

Jongdae accepted the action but teased Baekhyun mercilessly for his last words. 

“Please keep the change~” He mocked when they were standing outside the café. “Who are you, Hyun Bin?” 

Baekhyun pulled up his shoulders proudly. 

“You have to admit it was kind of cool.” 

“No, it was lame! Please never say that again in my presence.” Jongdae bemoaned and putting an arm around Baekhyun’s shoulders comfortably, leaned in close. “Do you wanna go somewhere? Minseok hyung hasn’t called me yet.” 

Baekhyun startled at the sudden proximity. He was a touchy-feely person as well, so this shouldn’t have been a big deal but for some reason it was. Still, he didn’t lean back nor stepped away from the half-embrace. Regardless of the heat, Jongdae’s closeness was comforting. 

The moment of silence was broken by Jongdae’s obnoxious ringtone. 

♫ Kiss kiss kiss baby 
Hush hush hush baby ♫ 

“Oh my God, how old is this song?” Baekhyun cracked up while Jongdae frantically searched for his phone in his back pocket. “And didn’t they disband?” 

“They’ll be forever together in my heart.” Jongdae quipped before answering the call. “Yes, hyung... I’m at the café we always go to. Yes, that one. Do you think we can give Baekhyun a ride too?” 

Baekhyun did everything is his willpower to signal Jongdae a big no but the other ignored it. 

“I can take the bus. I know the way.” 

“Very funny.” Jongdae narrowed his eyes at Baekhyun after he hung up and shook his head. “Why would you when you can come with us? I’m sparing you a ticket; you should be thankful.” 

“I am.” 

It was an honest response and Baekhyun was relieved to see Jongdae appreciates it. On another note: 

“So... care to tell me more about you being a Say A? Who’s your bias?” 

Jongdae whined. 

“Don’t do this to me~”