Prologue

Shadows Gold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Lee Haejung felt the slight tingle on her wrist a moment before the portal opened up beside her. Luckily, she was in a back alley with no one around. Not that Rini would have been stupid enough to do something like that where anyone could see, obviously waiting for the moment when Haejung was alone and away from curious eyes before summoning her with the portal.

She stepped inside, her vision blurring for a moment before it was once again restored. Instead of the filthy alley, filled with broken bottles and rotting food, she was greeted by an elegant entrance hall. Knowing exactly where to go, she made her way along the hallways toward her destination. The bright colours of the walls, the polished wooden floorboards that were beneath her booted feet, gave a welcoming aura. Haejung knew better, however, her mind drifting back to the first time that she’d entered Rini’s home.

**

Haejung ran across the island as fast as her feet could carry her, uncaring for the small stones and twigs that were digging into her bare feet. She’d heard rumours of the sea witch that had made herself a home on the other side of the uninhabited island, her home the only one to be seen.

Tales had been told about Rini, about the things she was capable of but her help always came at a price. Haejung would normally be wary, untrusting, but she couldn’t afford to be. Not when her sister was dying and she had no way to save her.

The large home was at the edge of the water, made of stone, torches leaving flickering shadows that gave the fancy building a distinctly eerie feel. The moment that she’d stepped up to the large wooden door it had opened to reveal the ethereally beautiful Rini.

“I’ve been expecting you,” Rini said, her voice soft and lilting as she moved aside to allow Haejung in. She was beautiful, with pale skin and long, dark hair that cascaded down to her waist. The light, white dress that she wore made her look innocent and pure. “Come, come. You don’t have much time do you?”

For the first time since she’d left her small shack earlier in the evening, Haejung hesitated, uncertainty and a small amount of fear beginning to take root. The stories she’d heard about Rini varied, some telling of the beautiful and yet kind witch that helped others, while some told of much darker deeds and trickery.

Eventually, Haejung stepped over the threshold. The moment her foot had touched the cold wooden floor and she had glanced around the entryway, Haejung inexplicably relaxed. It wasn’t something that she could explain, one moment tense with uncertainty and the next, a wave of comfort relaxing her limbs.

She’d followed Rini through the large house, glancing around at the paintings that decorated the walls, the statues that seemed to stare back at her as she passed and yet, she didn’t feel uncomfortable.

The room that Rini had led her too was dark, few torches lining the walls though the light that was inside reflected off of the glass jars, their contents containing things that caused a wave of unease to wash over her.

Rini came to a stop in the middle of the room, turning to face Haejung with a smile that didn’t quite reach her eyes.

“You need my help?”

Haejung nodded hesitantly, watching as Rini moved behind a large wooden table, more jars on the surface and parchment scattered all over, a dark wetness reflecting the light from the torches. Haejung swallowed, hoping that it was merely ink.

“My sister is dying,” Haejung told her and Rini nodded, a small, understanding smile on her face.

“And you want me to save her?”

Haejung nodded, stepping closer to the table as she opened to speak in a whisper. “Also, I want her to have a better life... She deserves better than how we live.”

“Only her? Not yourself, your parents?”

Rini was watching you intently, her eyes blinking slowly as she waited for your response.

“No, just her.” Haejung eventually murmured quietly, watching as Rini’s lips pulled up into a smile that Haejung couldn’t quite read.

“How selfless of you,” the witch said qui

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter