Chapter 4

Speak To Me

 

‘The joy of waiting can only be found if you have something to look forward to’


 

The days went by agonizingly slow since they sent Chanyeol off. Baekhyun only went to school and then straight home, hoping to stay up late enough to catch Chanyeol as their time zones were now different.

The taller texted him any chance he got and told him about how his aunts kids were all super cute; he even sent a video with the lot, Chanyeol was in the middle grinning as each kid, two boys and three girls, arrived to push their way into the camera lens in order to shout a greeting for the older. There cute chubby cheeks pressed against the taller who looked as bright as the sun. Baekhyun found himself watching that sort video the whole night feeling his heart warm up at the sight but also stir restlessly wanting to be close to his best friend. 

Chanyeol also informed him about how his grandma was doing worse than he had thought but that each day her treatments were going well; she had a mild case of leukemia. Baekhyun wished the best for his friends family member. Chanyeol also texted him how much he missed the older each day which had the smaller smiling uncontrollably until his cheeks hurt. These texts and pictures of Chanyeol either with his grandma, aunt or her kids and also the videos he taped of them taking outings were sweet and had Baekhyun missing the taller more whenever he heard his deep voice over the speaker; these were the highlights of Baekhyun's day, everything was bleak in comparison.

 

It was on a weekday when Baekhyun got a notification from Chanyeol's Instagram and clicked it eagerly to see what the other found so worth posting because he rarely did unless compelled to do so, sometimes Baekhyun wondered if he had forgotten his password. He shook his head at his best friends antics as the screen opened to the app portraying the picture right away.

The giddiness in Baekhyun’s stomach soon dulled as he witnessed the picture. It was of Chanyeol, his hair light brown like he dyed it and Baekhyun found it to be cute on him. He was smiling but his smile wasn't towards the camera, no, he was looking at the person beside him; a handsome looking male with grey hair and black roots, also dyed. His dark brown eyes had a strong look to them but Baekhyun guessed that was also supported by his thick eyebrows, his face was nicely structured; he looked very american.

Chanyeol seemed to have an arm wrapped around the other pulling him close enough that the tall males lips almost pressed against the others cheek, Baekhyun suddenly felt queasy. The other male stared into the camera with a straight face as if he was forced to take the picture but the longer Baekhyun looked, it seemed like the male was taunting him somehow.

Baekhyun's eyes wandered to the caption, 'A grumpy Friend', it read. The smaller felt dumb for feeling a relief wash over him at the word 'friend', what was he so anxious about? Chanyeol was a friendly guy, of course he would make at least one. It was different in the US than in Korea, they were a lot more expressive and if it was one thing with Chanyeol he sure was as such; he fit right in over there.

But while Baekhyun came to that realization and he pocketed his phone, walking in the direction of his next class a sense of uneasiness overcame him at the thought of Chanyeol somehow not wanting to come back. What if what happened here scared him off? What if he decided to stay with his aunt? Baekhyun felt anxious just thinking about it. And that guy, if Chanyeol decided not to come back would he replace him with the other?

A panic rose within Baekhyun's chest at the idea, would Chanyeol look back at that day weeks ago when Baekhyun left him in a vulnerable state and grow a resentment against him? The guy looked strong and intimidating, could he protect Chanyeol better than him? Baekhyun shook his head from all these thoughts that were weighing down on him.

To be honest Baekhyun still felt like he should've confessed before Chanyeol left, at least he would know that the younger knew of his feelings and was possibly considering it but since he had not it was like he handed Chanyeol out to be taken from him but Kyungsoo's words from that night still circled his mind and each day the smaller thought of ways he could confess his feelings as soon as Chanyeol got back. Kyungsoo had helped him, even Jongdae and Sehun pitched in although in the end Baekhyun decided that he didn't want to do anything flashy, he wanted to do something meaningful. 

 

As the days went on, exactly four and a half months had passed since Chanyeol had left. It felt like decades to Baekhyun who went day by day waiting for his best friend's return like a lost puppy who's owner had left him behind to go to the grocery store. Sehun had gotten sick of seeing the smaller moping about, missing the younger and said to distract himself with a pastime activity as not to be driven mad waiting; so Baekhyun ended up joining the music club.  

Eventually the rumors and hostility about Chanyeol died out as people realized he wasn't coming back to school, some people even had the nerve to 'worry' if he transferred schools, Baekhyun only rolled his eyes at their hypocrisy. 

The others have also been busy doing their own thing; Sehun had picked up dance and because the school collaborated with a studio downtown that put on a show at the school every year, they were gearing up for their performance this week, as was Kyungsoo with his play the week after. Jongdae was in the same music club with Baekhyun and even they were preparing for a music performance although theirs was going to be showcased at the end of the year.

It was a busy three months but they all coped and got things done knowing that it might not be long before Chanyeol arrived.

 

--------------

 

Baekhyun awoke with a groan as the light filtering through his windows gleamed over his eyes. He sat up dazed and pushed the covers down around his waist before he stretched. His bones cracked happily back into place and the smaller let out a content sigh and fell back on his pillow like jelly. 

Baekhyun rolled his head to the left, his messy bed head falling into his face and glanced at the clock sitting on his nightstand. He blew air from his lips so that his bangs would move from his eyes so it wouldn't obstruct his vision, the clock read 1:00pm. Baekhyun sighed and pushed himself back into a sitting position, lazily. It was a Saturday and he would like more than anything to just sleep it away from the crazy rush of test season slowly approaching while juggling a club. 

"Why couldn't they just invent something where beds walked for you?" Baekhyun mumbled to himself as he scooted out of bed, shoving his feet in a pair of slippers and sulkily trudging out into the upper hallway of his house. Baekhyun made a right toward the bathroom where he cleaned himself up before going downstairs for a really late breakfast.

The smaller walked by his living room where his parents were seated and entranced in their own things; his mom was watching a variety show that he's seen a couple times but never cared enough to know it's name and his dad was in his lounge chair, typing away at his laptop probably making lesson plans for his professor job at Seoul University.

"You finally wake up, Byun Byun" his mother stated, watching him enter the kitchen. "It's not good to sleep so long, you miss half the day" she said but Baekhyun only shook his head. 

"I'm regrouping my strength, mom. You can never get enough sleep" he said to which she clicked her tongue. "Nonsense people back in the day woke and slept with the sun. You shouldn't be any different" she argued and Baekhyun chuckled. 

His mom had a way of forming history into her lectures, either referencing some event, however miniscule or just comparing today's city folk with those that lived by the earth. All this wasn't surprising since his mom was a history teacher at a public school uptown but Baekhyun found it funny hearing what it is she'll say each time.

"Okay mom, I'll keep that in mind" The smaller set his phone on the counter as he navigated the kitchen, grabbing bread from the pantry and rummaging through the fridge for a condiment. Baekhyun settled on peanut butter and jelly, he started making the sandwich and lathering a good amount both the substances before he closed the sandwich with one half of the bread and brought it to his lips just as his phone vibrated against the counter. 

Baekhyun looked to see the caller ID but his screen faded back to black before he could. He set the sandwich down with a sigh and reached for the device, sliding it to unlock before he looked at the message that appeared on his screen. While he read the words on his screen a big grin planted itself on his face, his chest blew in delight and hands shook slightly at his excitement; the butter knife he held fell from his fingers, hitting the counter loudly before clattering to the floor. Baekhyun's parents both actively looked his way from where their backs had been turned to him moments before. 

"Baekhyun what's wrong?" his dad voiced, eyebrows furrowed. But the smaller just looked up at them with a beaming face feeling like his chest was made of air. "Chanyeol is back!" he exclaimed excitedly before taking off from the kitchen, forgetting about his sandwich. His parents knowing smiles followed him up the steps towards his bedroom. 

Baekhyun couldn't actually believe it, he knew the younger would be back but it's been so long since he's scene him aside from the pictures he would send the smaller. From the gestures he could see the male was developing a golden tan and that he had straightened out his messy hair, leaving in the brown dye. The older checked his phone to make sure the message wasn't just a figment of his imagination and started carting through his closet for something to wear.

Chanyeol: Hey! Baekkie, I'm finally coming home! My plane will land soon and I want to see you <3 call the guys and come to the airport.

Baekhyun threw on a shirt and some pants before texting everyone in their group chat. He walked to the mirror and fixed his hair, quickly raking a brush through it. He wanted to look good for Chanyeol, he blushed at his own thoughts. 

It didn't take long for the others to reply;

 

Kyungsoo: we'll meet at the bus stop. 

Jongdae: alright ;) on my way!

Sehun: got it. 

 

Through all his rushing and trying to fix himself up Baekhyun almost forgot the most important thing and went to his nightstand to grab it before he left his room. He bundled himself up in his winter jacket and scarf before he rushed out the front door and stepped out into the cold air.

The snow has already settled itself snug all over the city and the trees outside were now bare and brittle looking, Baekhyun climbed down his front steps almost falling twice on some slippery parts. The smaller knew he should be careful if he didn't want to fall flat on his but the idea of finally seeing Chanyeol had him rushing to the bus stop even more. 

Baekhyun was the first one at their meet up place. He stood there alone, the streets of his neighbourhood deserted since no one wanted to come out on a cold day as this. Baekhyun bounced on the balls of his feet as he looked down the street for the bus and then the other way for his friends. Sehun and the others didn't really live that far from Baekhyun, maybe a neighbourhood or two away. The older waited a little more, hugging himself and just when he saw the bus coming up the road he heard the shouts of his name. 

Baekhyun looked in the opposite direction to see Sehun, Kyungsoo and Jongdae running up the sidewalk, waving. They make it just in time and the four of them smile brightly between each other before boarding the bus; finally their friend was coming back. If Baekhyun was being completely honest, it had felt so dull at school or even in his home without Chanyeol's loud chatter and laughter filling his ears.

Now sitting in between Sehun and Kyungsoo, Baekhyun felt even more excited and kept his hands in the pockets of his jacket fiddling with the object that rested inside. He then felt a nudge to his shoulder and looked at Kyungsoo who gave him a sweet smile, "did you bring it?" the younger asked and Baekhyun nodded, smiling.

Baekhyun gripped the object in his pocket and tugged it out, holding it up proud in between him and Kyungsooo. Jongdae and Sehun were also intrigued and looked amused and a little apprehensive about what he was holding. Baekhyun held a white envelope in his hand with a heart sticker sealing it and turned so he could rest it in his lap as if it were a precious treasure; in a way it was and hoped it was like that for the person receiving it.

"Of course I did. Four months is a lot of time to muster up a ton of courage" the smaller said. Baekhyun looked at the envelope, Maybe it was a bit childish but he hoped that Chanyeol would understand the significance and the gesture. "I kind of want to bring flowers but we don't have enough time to make a stop," he stated.

"Actually the last time I was at the airport I could've sworn I saw a flower shop" Sehun spoke up, "we could check quickly before we go to the gates" he suggested and Baekhyun smiled at him, nodding.

The older knew that this may be a bit minimal given the fact that his feelings felt so much more extravagant for the male, overwhelming even but Baekhyun also knew if he did something over the top when Chanyeol just returned it wouldn't bode well and it just wasn't his style. For the rest of the ride the four friends talked animatedly about having a welcome back party later on for the giant and Baekhyun played out the different ways this could go. 



 

They had hurried through the airport to the gate Chanyeol would exit out if and Baekhyun got bombarded with nerves but Kyungsoo just patted his back comfortingly. "It'll be fine, I'm sure he'll be happy". 

Baekhyun smiled as all four of them stood behind a barrier and waited, watching while people flowed out, disappointed each time it wasn't Chanyeol but moments later Baekhyun spotted a familiar head of straight, dyed brown locks and his grin split his face, he instantly raised his hand.

"Chan!-" he started before he abruptly cut himself off as he saw his best friend exit the gate, smiling and laughing, rolling his luggage behind. The male looked like he had grown taller with his now golden skin tone, coming further into view but what had Baekhyun's breath catching in his throat was the male beside him, their arm draped around Chanyeol's shoulders while they shared a joke. 

The male beside Chanyeol was handsome and a head taller than his best friend; his hair was black and in a messy but neat style and his skin too had a tanned shade to it. Baekhyun stared just when Chanyeol looked over and locked eyes with him. A bright grin spread across his face and Baekhyun suddenly felt relieved, his own smile climbing its way back onto his face.

"Baekhyun!" he shouted, earning stares and came barreling toward the smaller and embraced him into a tight hug. 

Baekhyun felt overwhelmed with emotions as he succumbed to the warmth of being in his friend’s arms, Chanyeol pulled away and he went to hug the others, laughing. Baekhyun felt his heart swell at the sound of it, finally he was back it felt like forever. 

The older knew it was time, he had to do this now or he never would. He had been holding the envelope and bouquet by his side this whole time. "Chanyeol" he started but before he could get another word out, his best friend spoke up. 

"Oh! I forgot, I have to introduce you guys to  someone" the tall male said, smiling sweetly. Chanyeol looked behind him to where the taller, broody handsome looking male stood. 

Chanyeol, reached behind and pulled the male forward with a grin, weaving his hand through his arm. Baekhyun's eyes instantly zoned in on that, his heart plummeted while he watched Chanyeol move his hand down the males arm and intertwined their fingers. Baekhyun’s eyes widened and he felt his heart pounding  so hard that he could hear it in his ears and feel it in his throat. 

"Guys, this is Kris" Chanyeol stated turning from them to smile at the male who returned the gesture. "My boyfriend". 

Baekhyun couldn’t understand, he didn't want to understand but the older felt the last of his heartstring snap, letting his heart completely drop to his feet and shatter. His eyes continued to stare with shock twisting in them as Chanyeol looked at Kris with loving eyes and Baekhyun felt sick to his stomach, the bouquet and envelope felt numb in his hands before he gripped them tightly like a life support.

He felt the eyes of Kyungsoo, Jongdae and Sehun on him but he couldn't bring himself to look at them, he should've, maybe then he wouldn't have shed tears. Instead his eyes watched on while Chanyeol clung to his 'boyfriend' as they talked.

Baekhyun wanted to look away, rip his eyes out and never see again but he knew that the two of them would be etched in his brain that even without eyes he would see them; laughing, talking, touching. His breaths were getting shallower and they kept getting caught in his throat, his chest felt vacant and he could’ve sworn he saw his heart in pieces on the floor but as he blinked he saw that it was just the bouquet of flowers.

He heard Chanyeol call his name but it sounded so far away; he should've looked at his friends, maybe then he wouldn't have out from the onslaught of a million emotions.