Chapter 5

The Gentle Knight

The bookstore was pretty big and it had coffee corner inside where people could sit and read the books after they bought them. For now, Chaeyeon would work as the cashier, but her boss said she would teach her how to make coffee someday. So far, her work was fun. She didn't really read books usually, she was more into music. Not many people knew it, not even her grandma, but she loved singing and dancing. Only Yena and Yujin had ever seen it. She would sneak in her school's practice room sometimes, and would just dance or sing her heart out everytime she felt she needed it. Those were the things that made her happiest, but she hadn't gotten many chance nowadays since she had to take care of her grandma, school, and now work. She didn't complain though.

Yujin and Yena often encouraged her to join dance competition, but she always refused it. She didn't like being in the spotlight, she just wanted to enjoy dancing for herself, not for the crowd. Yesterday Yena brought that topic again, while they were discussing other ways of earning money beside working. Yena told her that she could earn some money if she won. She was still against that idea, but she promised them that she would think about it. She didn't think that she was enough for competing. 

It was already past the closing time, when her boss suddenly went in with a bunch of people. They seemed like dancers, but Chaeyeon recognized one of them. Her classmate, Eunbi. She knew Eunbi was Minju's cousins aka bodyguard, and indeed a scary one. Eunbi was pretty famous at school, as she was pretty, good at arts, funny, smart and also strong, a bit intimidating for sure.

Eunbi noticed her right away, and stared at her for a while. Her face was kinda funny, because she was too shocked to see Chaeyeon there working. Well, she didn't know much about her in the first place, but she thought that girl was homebody-type-of-girl. This work required seeing people all the time, right? Also, she visited this place every week, and this was the first time she saw her. She debated with herself whether she should ask Chaeyeon about her wounds or not, but she didn't do it. She didn't want her to feel like she was prying her life, or whatever it was. Maybe wait until she was closer to Chaeyeon, since she came here often anyway.

Bae Yoon Jung introduced Chaeyeon to everyone there. When it came to Eunbi, Eunbi smiled and put her hands up for high-five

"We knew each other though. Hi Chaeyeon!" Eunbi said. Chaeyeon was confused, but she did give Eunbi high-five and smiled.

"How did you guys know each other?" Yoon Jung asked.

"We go to the same school, the same class too, but we don't know each other that well." Chaeyeon replied.

"Oh, I see. Okay then. I hope you guys can be close friends. Eunbi here needs other friends, since she only dedicated herself to protect her cousin from ert." Yoon Jung laughed.

Eunbi pouted. "Yah, unnie! It's not like that. It's just that people around Minju are so scary, and Minju is just too nice to them. You know, there was one night that Minju was being stalked by one of her crazy admirers. Minju was so scared and she called me to save her. When I got there, Minju was being dragged by that guy while crying."

Chaeyeon was shocked, but didn't show it. "When did it happen?"

"I think it was the first week after she entered school."

"Wow. I knew she was super pretty, but I didn't know that people would do that far." Yoon Jung said. "By the way, we should really start our practice, guys. Bye Chae, talk to you later. Be careful on your way home. Thanks for today."

Chaeyeon smiled. "Okay, unnie. Bye, guys. See you soon."

On the way home, Chaeyeon thought about Minju. 

'"I didn't know that happened. I thought they were just being normal fans and stuff. Why are people so scary, though? I'll keep an eye on her more. It was more dangerous than I thought.. I just couldn't let it happen again.'