Fuel

The Order of Jung
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Al Haram, Egypt

 

Hyoyeon eyed the giant pyramids in front of her in awe.

 

“So these are the Pyramids of Giza,” she mumbled to herself. She’d spent a long time studying the pyramids for the sole purpose of today’s trip. However, none of the pictures served any justice to the real thing.

 

“Well, now I’m excited,” Hyoyeon whispered to herself giddily. The grin on her face seemed to be permanently stuck there as she pulled out her wand.

 

“Come to mama,” she sang to herself as she sprang into action.

 

Sprinting straight at the middle pyramid without any care for traps, Hyoyeon performed a series of very complicated enchantment lifting spells. She was almost to the base of the pyramid when a subtle ripple in the air caused her to jump back.

 

‘Shoot!’ Hyoyeon cursed to herself for being too naive. She didn’t know the pyramids were protected by a motion detecting charm. If she got caught, it would trigger the intruder alarm that would be the end of her career and she would be thrown into Egyptian jail which was the last thing she needed.

 

Instinctively, she jumped back. However she suddenly noticed multiple ripples in the air.

 

‘The alarm charm is everywhere! This must be a more advanced version they’re using. My counter spells aren’t doing anything!’

 

In order not to get caught she’ll have to keep dodging and moving while not touching any of the ripples. Unfortunately for her, the ripples moved too.

 

As she hopped around looking like a hyper bunny on hot sand, Hyoyeon panicked internally.

 

‘I can’t keep jumping like this. How long has it been? The guards are going to wake up soon. The sleeping draught I brewed wasn’t that strong. Curse potions and Professor Slughorn. I really should’ve paid more attention to Jessica and Seohyun when they went on their nerdy rants about the importance of understanding potions and their ingredients. Wait, Hyoyeon focus! Okay. I need to find a way to get into the pyramid. Focus!’

 

‘Appare Insidias Lacrimis!’ Hyoyeon chanted in her head hoping to reveal all the traps so that she would at least be able to spot them easier. Luckily for her the charm worked perfectly. Now she could see the outline of where the charm was at any moment.

 

Hyoyeon took a deep breath. ‘Alright, time to go full ninja-mode.’

 

Ducking, dodging, bending, crawling, and hopping, Hyoyeon easily made it to the base of the pyramid.

 

“Fores Revelio,” Hyoyeon cast the spell towards the wall in front of her. She watched with enraptured eyes as the faint outline of a door was revealed.

 

‘Aberto!’

 

The door remained unmoving.

 

“Yeah, didn’t think it would be that easy,” Hyoyeon mumbled to herself. “How about this then? Cistem Aperio!” The entrance remained shut.

 

“Okay, you’re a stubborn one. No worries. I’ve got plenty up my sleeve,” Hyoyeon huffed as she readied her wand again.

 

“Annihilare! Dunamis! Liberare! Alohomora! Open Sesame! Portaberto!” None of the spells worked. Hyoyeon stared frustratedly at the only thing blocking her from entering.

 

“Oh screw this. I did not come all the way here, spend three months studying, to get stopped by a freaking door!” Hyoyeon grumbled in frustration.

 

“Confringo!” Much to Hyoyeon’s delight, the door blasted open after being hit with a blasting curse from head on.

 

“Now that’s more like it,” Hyoyeon grinned proudly as she hurried inside. As soon as her feet exited sand and hit the solid ground made of brick, the door behind her slammed shut, instantly shutting out any sources of light. Alone in the dark with her only exit shut closed, Hyoyeon merely shrugged.

 

“Meh, I’ll figure out how to get out when it comes to that part,” she stated nonchalantly. “Lumos!”

 

The tip of her wand lit up, illuminating the walls and revealing the ancient hieroglyphics that the magic wielding Egyptians from long ago engraved and painted onto the wall.

 

“Ohohohoh,” Hyoyeon laughed to herself. She could feel her blood pumping in anticipation. “I am going to be so rich by the end of this.”

 

‘Scarab beetles, here I come!’

 

 

 

 

London, England

 

“She’s just a kid!” Alcott Woods, head of Magical Games and Sports complained.
 

“An experienced kid,” Elias Clarke, head of Magical Accidents and Catastrophes pointed out.


“She’s too young,” Nara Barclay stated matter of factly. The head of Magical Transportation had always been a stoic woman of few words.

 

“Since when has age ever played a role? Certainly not when a 17 year old defeated the greatest dark wizard of all time and saved the world. I didn’t hear you complaining then,” Legolas Blackwood, head of Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures retorted dryly.


“This is different! This is not just being able to shoot spells out of your wand. This is a whole nation at stake here!” Woods protested.
 

“The girl may be young but she is qualified,” Wilson Langcaster, head of Mysteries asserted simply.  “She’s worked under Granger and Wrigley both and they both entrusted her with important duties that normally only someone with the level of Deputy or Head of a department can carry out.”

 

“She also was the one that led the expansion of the Research Committee in the Ministry,” Clarke reasoned. “Because of her, our knowledge of magical theory has expanded by a substantial amount. She has drive and the ability to carry through with her words. She would make a good Minister.”

 

“Maybe in a few years. I certainly won’t deny that,” Barclay remarked. “But she has no real experience in the Ministry. She was only an intern. And she’s still in school right now.”

 

“Secondary school,” Clarke corrected. “But her graduation is soon. She also aced her studies at Hogwarts. McGonagall and Granger both acknowledged the girl’s magical prowess. Besides, we don’t have a few years,” he urged.  

 

“We don’t. Which is why who we choose now is crucial and if you think I’m comfortable with handing the ministry over to some twenty year old-” Woods was interrupted.

 

“Are you sure this isn’t less about her abilities and more about your inability to take orders?” Langcaster provoked his colleague.
 

“Don’t even. You know I would do anything for this Ministry,” Woods gritted out.

 

“No, I agree with Woods on this one. If we elect the girl as our Minister, what would the rest of Britain think? The rest of the world? We would be sending the wrong message.” Barclay pointed out.

 

“And what message would that be?” Langcaster asked skeptically.

 

“That we are weak. That we had no other options but put a mere twenty year old, barely out of school, into the top position in British wizardry. Wouldn’t that make us more of a target than we already are?” Barclay responded bluntly.

 

“Exactly,” Woods nodded, grateful that someone saw his side of the argument.  

 

“But we can’t go against Wrigley’s last wishes. He specifically assigned her to take his place in case of emergency, not the Deputy Minister, not any of us,” Blackwood pointed out.

 

The men and the woman all sighed. Every single person in the room was asking the same questions to themselves.

 

‘What happened to Wrigley and why did he choose this girl as her replacement?’

 

They all turned to a single man in particular.

 

“She is your daughter. What are your opinions?” Clarke inquired curiously.

 

The man in question sighed. He had stayed silent throughout the entire discussion trying to gather his own thoughts as his colleagues fought it out. He remained quiet for a few more seconds as they all waited for him expectantly. When he opened his mouth to speak, his tone was unwavering.

 

“As her father, I would rather someone else take the position.” He paused. He didn’t want to show bias at a moment like this. “However, seeing her experiences and considering that this was Wrigley’s last wish, I have a hard time saying no completely.”

 

That was a lie. If it were solely up to him, his daughter would never even have been considered in the first place.

 

There was a moment of silence as everyone contemplated his answer. It was a copout answer and everyone knew it. He had neither endorsed nor rejected his daughter as the new Minister of Magic.

 

Kim Dongwan sighed. This meeting had gone on for too long. While he was also hoping the Head of International Magical Cooperation would be able to provide some insight, he couldn’t blame him. After all, he knew how difficult it was being a father and being forced to place your daughter in a tough and potentially dangerous position.

 

Dongwan glanced at the clock attached to the wall. They’d been locked in this room discussing this one topic for at least two hours now; three hours since they found Wrigley lying lifeless on the floor of his office.

 

He had no doubt by now that the media had caught onto the news and word of Wrigley’s death had reached all across Great Britain and other wizarding nations. Unfortunately, that also meant that the public had been panicking for the past two hours. They needed to do something before the seed of worry, concern and fear was fully planted into the public and they needed to do it quickly. There was no more time for debate.

 

Dongwan stood up and faced the other heads of departments. Despite having less experience being Head of a department compared to some of these men and women, he had plenty of experience working in the Ministry. And thanks to his position as head of Magical Law Enforcement, he knew the ins and outs of this Ministry like no other.

 

“We are running out of time,” he addressed the room. “Our people,” he paused for effect. “Are no doubt worried. They are waiting for us to reassure them. Their Minister, our Minister, has just been found dead. They’re on the verge of panic. We need to act, and we need to act now.”

 

“Then what do you recommend we do?” Woods questioned with a hint of a sneer. “In case you forgot, we’ve been trying to act for the past two hours or were you not listening?”

 

“Enough of that,” Langcaster shot Woods an irritated glare. As the eldest and most experienced member in the room, he’d had enough of Woods immaturity. He then turned to look at Dongwan. “What do you suggest?”

 

Everyone turned to look at Dongwan once more. Dongwan understood that he and In Guk combined held most of the power as their departments handled all safety internally and externally. Therefore, he also knew that if he and In Guk were to agree on something, the rest of the cabinet will have no choice but to follow them.

 

“We need to choose someone to stand in as Minister temporarily,” Dongwan answered. He glanced at In Guk who nodded. This was indeed the best plan. “We will hold of this discussion until later. For now, the public needs to be reassured.

 

“Well who do you suggest?” Barclay asked as she looked around the room, searching for a potential candidate.

 

At this point, the man sitting quietly at the end of the table stood up and spread his hands.

 

“Well naturally, that position should fall to me, no?” he asked grinning cockily, not minding all the glares being thrown his way. Instead, he seemed to revel at the displeased look on their faces. “As Deputy Minister of Magic, doesn’t it only make sense that I take the position? I don’t even know why we wasted two hours discussing this. I’m clearly the best candidate and the only one that makes sense.”

 

Dongwan glared at the man who stood up as did everyone else in the room. Though the cabinet disagreed on many topics, if there was anything they could agree on, it was on their hatred for the Deputy Minister of Magic. They often wondered how and why did Wrigley, a decent man by all means, manage to choose such a wicked person as Laxley.

 

Dongwan and Laxley engaged in an intense staredown, being the only two people standing in the room. Neither wanted to sit down and relinquish power to the other.

 

“What’s the matter, Kim?” Laxley asked in a barely hidden condescending tone. He then addressed the rest of the room. “You don’t have any other options, do you? All of you need to focus on your jobs, no? Especially you, Kim, and you, Seo. I trust you will do your jobs as well as you have been doing, huh?” Laxley grinned, his thin lips stretched to the corners of his cheeks.

 

Dongwan wanted nothing more than to jinx his stupid mouth shut. Judging by the faces around the room, he knew he wasn’t the only one either.

 

The two continued to stare each other down in a battle of nerves until In Guk stood up as well.

 

“That’s enough,” he stated, disappointment clear in his tone. He then turned to Laxley and with what Dongwan imagined was immense effort and restrain, said,” Very well. Laxley, you will stand in as the de facto Ministry of Magic until further notice or until this issue has been resolved.”

 

Laxley’s smirk seemed to widen if that was even possible and Dongwan found himself fightback his own sneer.

 

In Guk turned towards the rest of the department heads. “Do any of you disagree?”

 

The department heads all looked at each other. Some grumbled under their breaths, but none spoke their dislike of the assignment out loud.

 

“What about the girl?” Langcaster asked, obviously avoiding having to express support for Laxley.

 

“We will have to continue this topic on a later date. For now, the public cannot wait,” Dongwan answered diplomatically. His gaze caught In Suk’s who nodded subtly to show his approval. He then made sure to face Laxley fully.

 

“And do make sure Laxley, that you do not forget that this position is only yours temporarily. As soon as we find a suitable solution, you shall be removed.”

 

“Naturally, Auror Kim,” Laxley smirked evilly. So much apprehension filled Dongwan but he pushed it all down. There was no better course of option right now he tried to convince himself.

 

“Fine,” Langcaster nodded his support.

 

“Anyone else have anything to say?” Dongwan asked. No one responded. “Very well then,” he turned towards Laxley. “You have a speech to make.”

 

 

 

 

Taeyeon and Yuri waited outside the office of the head of Magical Law Enforcement. All the other aurors were sent away to protect and look after Wrigley’s family while the more experienced ones were handling the case of Wrigley’s death. Only they were left behind.

 

“How much longer do you think they’re going to be in there?” Yuri mumbled eyeing the door that shut closed two hours ago and hadn’t moved since.

 

Taeyeon made an indistinguishable noise. “Beats me,” she muttered. She was more curious as to why her father hadn’t sent her on a mission like the other aurors. Did he still not trust in her abilities as auror. Taeyeon frowned. With everything that was going on Taeyeon would think that her father would let her do something to help. Instead, here she was with Yuri, lazing around the Ministry of Magic like the Minister wasn’t found dead a few hours ago.

 

Suddenly the door opened and out stepped the heads of the Ministry. Taeyeon and Yuri instantly sprang to their feet from where they were slouching in their chairs.

 

“Mr. Kim,” Taeyeon addressed her father. She managed to hold back her flinch when her father’s eyes looked down to match hers.

 

“”Auror Kim,” Dongwan greeted his daughter. He then turned to the girl behind his daughter. “And Auror Kwon.”

 

Yuri stood up straighter upon being called by the head of Magical Law Enforcement.

 

“You two will be Laxley’s personal aurors for now. He is to act as the temporary Minister so his safety if your utmost priority. Am I clear?” Dongwan asked.

 

“Yes sir,” the two aurors nodded seriously, trying to look as professional as possible.

 

“Good. Keep your eyes peeled for anything and report to me immediately if you notice something out of the ordinary. Now the Minister to the tenth floor. He has a press conference to make.”

 

The two girls nodded at the head once more before

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter