Prologue - Sparks

The Order of Jung
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Paris, France

 

All around the grand convention room people dressed in extravagant robes chatted eagerly amongst each other.

 

As the French Minister of Magic swept his eyes across the room, he couldn’t help but think that this was perhaps the greatest turnout in the history of this convention. He felt his pride in his country swell. Famous wizards and witches from all over the world, young and old, had all gathered together in this one room in the beloved cathedral of Notre Dame.

 

The people in this room ranged from famous Quidditch players, to headmasters of the eleven great wizarding schools; from current and past national leaders, to famous aurors. Everyone who was anyone was present. The French Minister of course recognized a good number of these people, having become acquainted with them over his now six year long career as the head of the French wizarding community.

 

In one corner of the room, he saw Krum, the newly appointed Head of the International Quidditch Association conversing with the other members of the association.

 

In the far right, he saw McGonagall, perhaps the most respected and influential witches to be standing in the room due to her long history of heroic service to Britain and to Hogwarts.

 

Next to the famed headmistress stood the newly retired British Minister of Magic, Hermione Granger. Though he would never admit it out loud, the combination of those two British women intimidated him.

 

And of course next to Granger stood none other than the boy who lived, Harry Potter. Once an acclaimed auror, and the best in action, Potter resigned from his position ten years ago and became a professor at Hogwarts stating he wanted to follow in Dumbledore’s steps.

 

And finally, the last person standing in that group was none other than the new British Minister of Magic, Augustine Wrigley. Though he'd personally had yet to meet the new minister, he had heard relatively good things about him. Wrigley seemed like a mild mannered smart man. He made a note to himself to approach the man and introduce himself. 

 

His eyes then drifted towards the front of the room. There stood Samuel G. Quahog, the current President of MACUSA, the American wizarding governing entity. He seemed to be in deep conversation with -- he squinted to get a clearer look -- why the person he was talking to was none other than the headmistress of Mahoutokoro. Ueno Eri!

 

What a surprise to see her here! The elusive headmistress almost never attended these events.

 

‘Why is she here? I wonder what she and Quahog are talking about.’

 

Before he could ponder anymore, one of his assistants called out to him.

 

“Minister Laurent, it is time to give your opening speech.”

 

Laurent nodded and briskly took to the podium. As he did, the room instantly quieted down and people quickly took their seats. Laurent discreetly took a deep breath to calm his nerves as every single person in the room turned their focus to him.

 

“Good afternoon, esteemed wizards, witches, and warlocks!” he began cheerfully. His voice filled the room thanks to the sonorous charm.

 

“May I welcome you all to the ever lovely city of Paris,” the French Minister of Magic greeted, a proud smile on his face. “I am more than pleased to see all of you at this year’s annual International Convention of Warlocks. France is proud to host you all tonight and for the remaining of the week.” He paused, letting the applause settle.

 

“We have all gathered today in the great Cathedral of Notre Dame to recognize a few of the great wizards and witches you see here today and their important contributions to the improvement of the wizarding world. It is thanks to them that we are always moving forward as a community. If you could please join me in giving them the recognition they deserve,” Laurent stated as he clapped his hands. The rest of the room followed his lead.

 

“Now, without further ado, let us begin with the awards!”


 

 

 

 

Laurent exited the stage as the award giving ceremony commenced. As he was ushered off by his personal guard of aurors, he stopped in front of the French Chief Auror, his head of security.

 

“Make sure nothing happens Altier,” he instructed him gravely. This was the highest profiled event of the year. With all these powerful wizards gathered together, you would have to be insane to try anything but it wouldn’t reflect well on France if something were to happen.

 

“Don’t worry, sir. Security is tight. I have all available personnel on rotation and I made sure every inch of this cathedral is charmed and protected. Nothing is going to happen this week. You have my word,” the Altier responded.

 

“Good,” Laurent nodded, reassured. It was a huge deal for France to be able to host this event. The last thing he wanted to do was blow it. It would not be good for their foreign relations. And speaking of foreign relations…

 

After the awards came the most important session of the whole conference, the networking session. He had to make sure he talked to the right people and build upon France’s current foreign relations.

 

 

 

 

“Ah, well if it isn’t the beautiful former British Minister of Magic. Congratulations on the Merlin prize, Mrs. Granger. It is a high honor indeed. How are you doing?”

 

Hermione turned to see Quahog, the president of MACUSA addressing her. She graciously curtsied a little as manner permitted and let her signature coy smile play upon her lips.

 

“You flatter me, President Quahog, and I thank you for your congratulations,” she grinned politely. “I am well. How are you?”

 

“Oh, you know how it is,” he waved his hands in a vague gesture. “It could always be better.”

 

Hermione hummed at the sentiment. The two of them had worked closely before back when Hermione was still the Bristish Minister of Magic and had developed a friendship of sorts. Thus, they had often confined on each other and worked together in regulating international affairs concerning both of their nations.

 

“How is the wildfire situation in California going?” Hermione asked. Though she was no longer Minister, she still made a point to keep up to date on current events happening around the world.

 

At this, Quahog let out an almost dramatic sigh. “We are handling it the best we can. However it is difficult to interfere without raising suspicion among the No-Majs. It doesn’t help that they are starting to panic thanks to the wildfires.”

 

Hermione raised an eyebrow at this. “Your aurors are having trouble putting out forest fires?” Theoretically, the problem should’ve been easy to handle. A quick Aguamenti before the fire could spread and no one would know any better.

 

Quahog frowned. “Yes. Strangely enough, the wildfires are starting and spreading at a faster pace than we can contain. By the time our aurors catch wind of a new fire, it’s too late. The fire would have already become too widespread for us to put out without raising suspicion. And the No-Majs, bless their hearts, but their technology is no match for these fires. We’re doing all we can just to make sure half of California doesn’t burn down.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter