Chapter 9

Igavene Armastus
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Before the chapter starts, here is a definition:

quorum: the minimum number of members of an assembly or society that must be present at any of its meetings to make the proceedings of that meeting valid.

 

In the dead of night, a room in a mansion located in the Jung District was still illumined, and its occupant had yet to go to sleep. Inside the room, Yoon Haera examined the details she had written inside the open notebook on her desk. She pinched her eyebrow and rubbed it between her two fingers. She suppressed a sigh as she looked over her notes on the open page for the umpteenth time.

 

Differences in her current past, and her future-past:

 

Byun Baekhyun takes an interest in Yoon Haera. 

 

The existence of the Biology teacher, Mister Do.

 

The existence of the students’ private website.

 

The sudden interactions between Kim Jisoo and Im Nayeon with Byun Baekhyun (there may have been more interactions prior to today’s events).

 

She tapped her pen against her notebook as she mulled over what happened during the school day. After Nayeon and Baekhyun finished their little fight, they were called by the discipline teacher to get their respective punishments. Haera, Lay, and Jisoo were not involved in their childish squabble and therefore were not reprimanded for anything.

Although the three of them were held back for some ‘testimonies’ of some sort on how the disturbance was even started in the first place, they suffered no repercussions except for a loss of studying time. While Mister Do was not involved in meting out the punishment for Nayeon and Baekhyun, Haera could not help but study his expression.

Thinking back on it now made her leaned back on her chair, her repressed sigh finally disturbed the deafening silence in her room. “Perhaps he was just used to fights between students breaking out… Then again, was it normal to express no interest in such matter?” She sighed.

Perchance she might be worrying too much about Mister Do for no reason. Maybe the teacher was not easy to be riled up over small things like a scuffle in the cafeteria. Perhaps he was only a minor derailment in the past, just like how the existence of Baekhyun made no difference to her life.

Maybe, perhaps, perchance, probably. Everything was anything but certain. Everything she knew had changed. Was that a good thing, or did it spell out another calamity in the future? What use was her going back to the past if nothing was according to what happened in the future? What use was her knowledge of the future? What use…was her being disconcerted about all this?

She could just avoid Kim Jongin and tighten the security and alarms in her abode. That should settle it, no? If she did not take the actions she took in her previous life, it would not lead her to a hopeless future, would it not?

She clenched the pen she had in her hand. It was almost a guarantee that more things did not stay the same when compared to her previous past, that her knowledge would become increasingly worthless. She let out a small chuckle.

How pointless.

She released her hold on the pen and closed her book. She pulled open one of her desk’s drawers and put her notebook in there where other similar notebooks resided. She closed the drawer and locked it with a key which she wore as a makeshift necklace.

She returned her chair to its original place, tucked in the hollow space of the desk. She settled in on her bed and lied down facing the top of the canopy of the said furniture. With one last sigh, she reached out to turn off the switch for the lights that were located on the wall to the right of her bed.

As the darkness replaced the light and enveloped Haera in it like the deep water, she fell asleep, the coldness of the Han River as her lullaby.

 

After the news of the allegedly ambiguous relationship of him and Haera was replaced and overshadowed by some kids fighting in the cafeteria, Kim Jongin had a peaceful school life for April.

Jongin bit into his Korean Egg Bread, the yolk bursting out of its thin protective layer and melt into his mouth as his teeth sunk into it. He savored his food all the while paying attention to his phone. He had enlisted Chanyeol’s help in getting him access to the website, and now, he was reading the articles available on the site.

The site acted as a platform to share the latest news, and the sole person that had the authority to post any sort of article was the admin. The other users were only able to comment on the posts by the admin and reply to others’ comments. There were also the forums which had many topics created by the owner of the site, such as the upcoming pep rally on the 23rd of May. On topics like these, the users were given free rein on expressing their opinions, that was except for posting anything article-like. The rules and guidelines were blurry.

As Jongin scrolled down the articles—they were mostly about Yoon Haera and her group of friends—his bread tasted progressively flavorless. He put down his unfinished meal onto his food tray and frowned.

He turned towards Chanyeol who sat across him. “Are these condemning articles about Yoon Haera authentic? Aside from the ones which mentioned her flings, the other ones stating that she bullied her peers had no substantial evidence to support the admin’s claims. Even the ones about her dating a new guy every month do not sound very convincing.”

Park Chanyeol looked up from his meal of marbled steak slathered with glazing butter and gave a noncommittal reply, “That’s up to you to decide.”

“Give me your opinion.” Jongin eased his frown and he now wore a thin smile on his lips.

“My opinion, huh?” Chanyeol cut up his steak into bite-sized pieces as he spoke. He stabbed one of the pieces with his fork and studied it. “Outright violent bullying, I’m not sure.” He slid the meat off the fork using his teeth and chewed on it slowly. “But sometimes using her influence as one of the superior families here to get what she wants? Sure, that did happen. And the articles about her being a ?”

Jongin narrowed his eyes and frowned at Chanyeol’s choice of word.

“That’s true, you know. In her first two years here, I believed she had dated most of the guys in our year already. Only this year she had yet to date another person. Maybe that’s because there’s no one else left for her to date anymore.” Chanyeol pointed h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter