첫사랑 (First love)

Lilac
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

첫사랑

 

     From the large window of the hospital, Mi Yeong watched the dark blanket of sky turned to purplish color to pink hue, the sun is preparing for another day. The ache of her legs and feet is long gone as she drink the beautiful sight of nature in front of her. After a long cold winter in Seoul, things finally begin to look upward as the days roll into March. The temperature is starting to increase bit by bit although the night breeze is still cold, Mi Yeong is starting to feel giddy as her favourite season is near, Spring. She couldn’t wait for the flowers to flourish, blooming throughout the land and blanket the places with bright shades and fresh floral scent.

     She felt the giddiness as she think of it, few more hours before her shift ends and she couldn’t wait to sign out. She felt more excited when she remembered that she has a date today with the person who always makes her heart flutter.

     She decided to go back to the nurse’s station when she checked the time on her wrist watch. It has been almost 2 years when she started working at this hospital. The healthcare staffs were nice to her, although there are few people who weren’t, it didn’t bother her that much. She can’t please all the people around her.

     “How was the operation?” Jihoon asked when she arrived at the station. He was a senior to her for two years.

     She heaved a sigh before answering “Tiring. I’ve been standing since the operation started.” She plopped down beside him, sighing in relief when her legs relaxed.

     “Well it was an 8 hours operation.” Jihoon patted her head before chuckling. “Were you the scrub nurse?” You nodded in respond. “Poor baby.” He teased.

     Mi Yeong swatted his hand away from her head. “Not funny. You should be the one who helped there.” She glared.

     “You are right” he nodded. “However, a VIP patient requested for me. I must be good nurse.” He grinned. Jihoon was an operating nurse however he got transferred in pediatric ward 2 months ago.

     Mi Yeong hummed in respond before getting the charts of her patients checking if there were things that should need to be done. “The little girl has a crush on you.” Mi Yeong rolled her eyes at the young lad.

      “I am irresistible” he his chin, grinning cheekily at you.

      “Whatever.” She muttered before closing her eyes, resting her head on the table.

     Supposedly, Jihoon should have been the scrub nurse in the operation since the head nurse of the operating room asked for him. Since he couldn’t go, he suggested Mi Yeong to take his place. Mi Yeong has two years of experience in the operating at the previous hospital she was working at making her qualified to do the job.

     Mi Yeong stirred when she a felt a tapped on her shoulder. “Hey, time for morning care.” She groaned before straightened her back. “Good thing our head nurse has a meeting or you’ll get in trouble missy.” Jihoon said, arranging the charts of the patients.

     There were 31 patients in the ward and four nurses are present. Mi Yeong gathered all the things she needed before heading to her assigned clients. Only 5 patients were assigned to her since she got scrub in the operating room earlier.

 

     It was 7:35 am already, supposedly Mi Yeong should have been out but the nurse that should be taking her place was not yet around. She had contact the person and she was told that she’ll be late since she has to drive her kids to school, and she couldn’t complain to that reason. Letting out a breath, she read the doctor’s order instead while she waits. The hunger is making her dizzy as well, she hasn’t eaten anything for the past 12 hours.

     She popped a candy in , letting it melt under her tongue for better absorption of the sugar. Her dizziness is getting better however the hunger is still there. She felt her phone vibrated in her pocket hence she couldn’t answer the call. Mi Yeong peered at the head nurse of the morning shift, this old lady was strict and doesn’t tolerate the staffs to use their phones while on duty, although emergency is an exemption. She was itching to answer the call.

     He has been calling her when the clock ticked at 7 am.

     ‘I’m making him to wait for me again.’ She thought. In defeat, she continued to scan the charts even though there were no new orders to do, only to kill time.

     A knock on the counter made her lift her head from the chart, in front of her a tall guy with fair skin stood, he was wearing a gentle smile. “Yes?” She blinked a couple of times before standing up straight and greeted the man in white coat in front of her formally. “Dr. Oh. Good morning.”

     “I told you to call me Sehun.” The guy named Sehun clucked his tongue. Mi Yeong glanced at the head nurse. “Are you on duty today?” The young doctor asked.

     Mi Yeong shook her head before she answered, “I’m waiting for the Mrs. Nam.”

     “Oh” there was bit of disappointment in his tone. Mi Yeong stared at Sehun waiting for him to say something. “Well I need to do some rounds.”

     Mi Yeong hurriedly gathered the charts of the patients under Sehun’s care, not wanting to get scolded by the old nurse near them if she stayed there for a long time. She followed the doctor to the room and listened attentively to him while he make a conversation with the patients and parents. She can’t believe at first that this guy will be good at handling kids, with his cold aura and strong gaze. Though whenever he starts to communicate to children the aura around him changes, it becomes warmer.

     Her attention landed on the yellow flowers that were displayed on the bedside table of the patient’s bed. Sunflowers.

     Sehun’s pen suddenly went out of ink and asked Mi Yeong to borrow hers but the female was distracted by the flower. He followed her gaze and raised a brow.

     “Ms. Jang” he tapped his finger on the chart that she was holding, calling for her attention. She apologized for not paying attention. “It’s okay. Do you have an extra pen?” She nodded and handed her pen to him. “You’ve been staring at those flowers since we came in.”

     “It’s pretty” she said in soft voice.

     “Do you like flowers?” he continued to speak to her as he writes his new order on the chart.

     “I do” she grinned. “Do you know that every flower has a meaning?”

     “Oh” in brief second, he glanced at her.

     “The vibrancy of the color yellow brightens up a person’s mood” she started to explain. “It was named after our bright sun because it resembles to it. This flower symbolize as warmth, positivity, power, strength and happiness.”

     “You sure know a lot about flowers miss.” The grandmother of the patient smiled at her.

     “I only know a couple of things about them helmeoni.” She smiled at the old lady.

     “You know I have a friend who knows flowers really well. He grows up surrounded by plants actually.” Sehun closed the chart when he was done writing and handed it back to her. “Do you want me to introduce you to him? You’ll learn a lot from him.” Like a child who got offered by a lollipop, in delight she nodded her head. The old lady chuckled at the young adults before combing her granddaughter’s hair.

     On their way to the third patient Mrs. Nam came to them, she apologized to Mi Yeong for being late and took the charts from her. “I’ll take it from here sweetheart. Thank you again.”

     Mi Yeong smiled at the older lady and bowed to the Dr. Oh before taking her leave and strolled to the changing room and change out from her uniform.

 

     As she closed her locker her phone vibrated once again. She took if from her bag and answered the call while untying her long hair.

     “Where are you?” she smiled when she heard the deep voice on the other side.

     “Sorry. I’m on my way out.” She closed the door of the changing room. “Where are you?”

     “I’m at the lobby.” She nodded and dashed to the elevator. “I’ll wait for you here.” He said before hanging up.

     Mi Yeong insert her hand to the elevator stopping it from closing. The person inside pushed the open button. She gave thanks to that person while she pants.

     “You look excited Ms. Jang.” Mi Yeong heard the person chuckled. A familiar chuckled. She looked up and saw Dr. Oh. “Are you on rush? Do you have a date?”

     She blushed at the young doctor. “A-are you done with your rounds Dr. Oh?” She asked.

     The doctor smiled. “I still have to rounds some patients and please call me Sehun.”

     Mi Yeong blinked. “But that will be disrespectful.” Sehun told her that it was okay. “But you are still my senior and probably older than me.” She whispered the last words.

     “How old are you?” She answered. “I’m 28 and I’m only 3 years older than you.” However Mi Yeong disagreed by calling him by his first name. “Then how about Sehun oppa when we are out of work?” She blushed and was about to answer when the elevator opened.

     “Mi Yeong-ah” the two diverted their attention to the two people outside of the elevator. One was wearing his casual clothes while the other one was wearing a white coat.

     “Jongin” she beamed before stepping out of the glass box. She went towards the guy who was wearing casual clothes, giving him a hug.

     The tanned skin guy ruffled her hair adoringly when she walked up to him. “Good morning princess.” Jongin looked up to the person she was with in the elevator. “Sehun? Oh Sehun?”

     Sehun ears perked up when he heard his name. “Kim Jongin?” He grinned. “How have you been?” Excited, he gave Jongin a brotherly hug. They kept on talking to each other, forgetting Mi Yeong for a while and the stranger in white coat who was with him. Mi Yeong couldn’t help but to giggle when Jongin’s laugh reached to her ears.

     Mi Yeong glanced up to the stranger who was with Jongin. “Hello” he smiled cutely at her. She shyly greeted back. “I’m Lee Seung Hoon.” He introduced. She bowed in acknowledgement and was about to introduced herself when he beat her. “Jang Mi Yeong right? Jongin told me stories about you.”

     Mi Yeong only smiled at the later. She was wondering what stories could Jongin told him about. She’s wishing it wasn’t those embarrassing moments of her.

     “Did you visit someone here?” He started to have a conversation with her. “Or you came here for a check-up?”

     Mi Yeong felt someone’s arm wrapped around her shoulders. “Actually my little Mimi works here.” Jongin boasted with a big grin plastered on his face as he fondly pat her head. Her lips curved in endearment hearing those words from him.

     “Oh right you mentioned me that she’s a nurse. Wait,” realizing something, Seung Hoon widened his small eyes. “You are working here? How come I haven’t seen you around?”

     Sehun stepped in. “That’s because you were out of the country for a year and you never visited the pediatric ward. Welcome back by then way.” And gave the other doctor a brotherly hug.

     “You know the kids are afraid of me.” Seunghoon said with a little pout.

     Mi Yeong flashed a brief smile because of his cuteness, Jongin caught her though.

     “I have to agree with that and you don’t know how to handle children as well.” Jongin teased his friend. “You always making them cry in the end.” The three friends laughed.

     Their laughter died when a rumbling stomach had been heard. The only girl in the group pursed her lips and flushed in embarrassment. She mentally cursed her growling stomach for interrupting.

     “Someone is hungry.” Sehun chortled breaking the silence.

     “Did you skip your meal again?” Jongin turned to Mi Yeong.

     “O-of course not.” She lied.

     The two doctors chuckled at her, obviously she was telling a lie.

     “You two must go to your date now.” Seung Hoon said after checking her phone. “I still have a meeting to attend to.” He excused himself.

     Jongin was about to scold her when Seunghoon jogged back to them. “By the way can I get your Line account?” She stared at him while he handed his phone to you.

     Mi Yeong glanced up to Jongin for permission. “Why?” the tanned boy raised a brow but the doctor only pouted.

     “Hey! I prepared the things you want to me to do and I chose the perfect flowers. I even got the ri-“ Jongin covered his friend’s mouth.

      “Alright. I’ll send it to you later.” He grumbled, shooing his doctor friend. Seunghoon beamed and handed him his phone. “I said later.” But Seunghoon didn’t agree, he knew Jongin wouldn’t send it to him. He just knew him well and persuaded him to give it at the very moment.

     Sehun chuckled while watching his friends bicker. He suddenly leaned to your ear, “I heard from the other nurses that they pulled out someone from your ward to scrub in an operation. Will Jongin be furious if he knows?” He whispered. Mi Yeong glared at the guy but she only received a chuckle from the lad.

     “See you when I see you Mi Yeong-ah.” Sehun really dropped the informalities between the two when he ruffled her hair. Sehun patted Jongin’s shoulder, “Don’t forget to call me and hang out.” He grinned before excusing himself.

     Mi Yeong turned to Jongin and pulled him out of the healthcare building. When they were left alone, she was wishing that he didn’t hear what Sehun said to her. But boy, she was wrong. He heard it.

     “For the twelve hours of your shift, you didn’t eat anything?” Jongin look at her with a blank expression while they walk. And for her it was not a good sign.

     She only fiddled with the strap of her bag.

     “What if you fainted because of hunger?”

     “It’s okay, I was the hospital anyway and we have doctors in the area.” She tried to lighten up the mood. Wrong choice of words, she made Jongin even more furious because of her answer.

     “I’m being serious here Jang Mi Yeong.” He gave her a hard stare. “For the nth time, you should never skip your meals especially when you have this type of work.” Jongin doesn’t want her to get hungry. What if she fainted? Sure, she was at the hospital but what if she bumps her head when she fall and cause her further injury. He halt in his tracks and heaved a sigh

     “I’m sorry” her voice was soft. She wasn’t fiddling with the strap anymore but gripping it. She knew it was at fault that’s why she was being scolded by Jongin. But at the same time she doesn’t want to be scolded by Jongin.

     Jongin saw the crestfallen of her face. He caged her in his arms. “Alright I forgive you.” He her hair. “But this will be the last time that I’ll be scolding you okay? You know I can’t be with you all the time.” She nodded in respond.

     Mi Yeong felt the warmth spread on her cheeks when Jongin cupped her cheeks. “Let’s go eat at our favourite restaurant and go to the movies.” He gave her a breathtakingly smile that never failed for her to smile back to him.

 

 

     They were at their favourite restaurant. Mi Yeong’s eyes look over the place, soft music was being played in the background. It’s been a long time since the couple visit the place and it was a great timing because the place wasn’t pack. Well it was early in the morning. They served healthy but delicious food here and Jongin introduce the place to her back in highschool, it was quite pricey nevertheless the food was worth it once you tasted it.

     “So…” Jongin started of causing the lady in front of her divert her attention to him. “Care to explain to me why you didn’t eat for the 12 hours?”

     Mi Yeong watched him filled her plate with vegetable salad. “2 hours after I went to work they were emergency case in the operating room and since I have experience Jihoon suggested me.” She started to shove a mouthful of greens in .

     “Why didn’t he go instead?” He observed the lady as she ate.

     “Because a little girl requested for him to take care of him. You know kids can be really picky.”

     “Tsk.” He wiped her wipes when she talked while is full. “Never talk when your mouth is full.” Mi Yeong apologized after swallowing her food. “How long was the operation?”

     “8-9 hours.” She answered before eating again. He asked her what kind of operation and she answered before taking a sip, she doesn’t want to get scolded again.

     Jongin raised brow at her, “you didn’t even eat before scrubbing in? You already know that craniotomy is a type of operation will be a long one.”

     She pouted her lips at the tanned skin guy, “I’m sorry. I couldn’t take a bite since it was an emergency and if you are about to ask why I didn’t eat after it’s because I have to do the morning care and I chose to rest my legs.”

     He let out a defeated sigh. The waiter served the main dish. Mi Yeong beamed at the food in front of her but she noticed that her portion is full of greens than his plate.

     “You need those and no complaining” he tapped her nose. “And no sweets for you for this day.”

     “What?” she groaned. “Why not?”

     “That’s a punishment for not eating.” He ignored her complains and started to cut the meat in front of him. Jongin glanced at the lady in front of him once she stopped from complaining. He got her plate and exchanged their meat. She was hoping he’ll reduce the greens on her plate but he never did. She pouted even more.

     “Cute” Jongin gazed. She blushed at the same time. “I might change my mind if you finished that.”

     “I can’t. I will be bloated and you even ordered another stew.” Mi Yeong grumbled. He only shrugged his shoulders. “Fine” she let a long sigh in disappointment.

     Jongin may see as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter