Glass Sunsets - FIN.

Flowers In My Pocket

- An incomplete heart never lets the mind rest. - 

 

Pink clouds tinged with gold and gray crept by in the darkening skies of New York City.

 

It was rare, having an office that could see beyond the man-made giants of glass, steel, and concrete.

 

Irene cherished every sunset she could have the pleasure of viewing.

 

Many days, she would remain in her office to watch the sunset till the sun completely disappeared behind the buildings.

 

There was a certain nostalgia in sunsets.

 

There was something morose about how the hues of pinks, reds, blues, grays, purples and golds came together to form a paradise that was beyond reach. 

 

Irene stood silently, gazing out of the tall glass windows that furnished the walls of the building. She could see her reflection in the crystal clear panes. She never liked to look in the mirror much. All that stared back at her were empty, tired eyes, clean of youth and innocence. It was a pale reflection of who she used to be.

 

There was a certain sadness in sunsets.

 

There was something captivating about how the sun seemed to shine its brightest before being swallowed by the Earth. Something hauntingly beautiful about how the orange light reflected off silvery buildings, and how the silhouettes of distant skyscrapers looked like spindly bones that jutted out of the ground.

 

It was on days like these that Irene’s mind wandered back to the past. She remembered eyes that shone with warmth and soft lips that offered her comfort. She remembered hands clasped tightly around hers and whispers of forbidden promises as days blurred into weeks. 

 

Irene thought she had stored away the fragments of this heaven in hiding. However, she couldn’t ignore the aching of the sutures that stitched together the hole where her heart should’ve been.

 

Maybe it was how she still tried to find Wendy in the faceless people she kissed, during the nights she wanted to feel whole again. 

 

Maybe they were too young, or maybe it was just a blunder of fate.

 

Irene looked down at the crowds of people swarming in the streets of the city. Her office was high enough to escape the clamour and the chaos of the people, as they moved in mute silence. 

 

The ground had begun to engulf the sun as Irene’s mind wandered, trying to find its way back to the keeper of her heart.

 

☀☀☀

 

Very short drabble I jotted down while listening to a great song. Seriously, do yourself a favor and listen to Can’t Stop Now by Allie X.

If you have any prompts you want to see me write, drop me a direct message on my Twitter: @scarletvelvets. I usually reply faster there.

Thank you for reading! See you next time. ♥