A New Opportunity

Love’s Bite

    Nakyung sipped her iced coffee as her sandals slapped against the smooth pavement of the sidewalk downtown, a slight breeze blowing a few pink strands of hair in front of her eyes. So far, it had been a fairly uneventful day. She had watched the secretary at a law firm take calls and make records for cases, just like any given day in the past two weeks. Quite frankly, the monotony of the work seemed depressing. How could she do the same thing every day, and how could that thing be so tedious and repetitive? Of course, when she had requested this assignment for her job shadowing, she had never thought that this was what she wanted to do with her life. It was merely a backup if her dreams didn’t work out. Yet up until this point, “backup” had felt like a distant word, something that wouldn’t happen, a plan she had made only to ease her parents’ worries. The realization had hit her that this would be her reality if she didn’t succeed at her dream; becoming an idol.

    After all, it was too late for her to do anything else. This had been her focus throughout her school years. She stood no chance of getting into a prestigious university like Yonsei or Seoul National to become a doctor, engineer, or lawyer. In fact, she didn’t stand a chance at most universities because she never studied. The entrance exam was so ridiculously competitive and the other students so dedicated that she couldn’t hope to catch up. So she had to give training her all.

    Rumors had been circulating in the company that they would start preparing a new girl group for their debut. Nakyung had felt on edge ever since those rumors surfaced; it was what she was hoping for, but there was the nagging worry in the back of her mind that she wouldn’t be selected for the group. If she wasn’t, she would have to change agencies or wait years until the next group debuted. There was some substance to that worry because there were so, so many trainees. After all, everyone wanted to join Iso Entertainment, the agency that made stars such as Red Velvet, Twice, NCT, and Chung Ha.

    As the rumors crossed her mind, her feet beat faster against the pavement until she halted in front of the sleek glass building that housed Iso Entertainment. When she was in middle school, she had passed these doors often, hoping to one day become like her favorite sunbaes. Then, at auditions that summer, her dream came true. Little did she know that there was much more to becoming an idol than just being accepted into the agency. This building that had once filled her with awe and apprehension now felt like a second home. She came here every day after school, working tirelessly in the gargantuan dance practice and training with vocal instructors.

    She certainly wasn’t the best trainee, but she was far from being the worst. She would place herself as above average, but not in the way that commanded the other trainees’ attention as soon as she walked in the room. She casually shrugged into the door to open it, stepping into the perfectly polished lobby. Quickly, she proceeded to a hallway to the side of the reception desk that most people wouldn’t notice. At the end of the short hallway was an elevator embellished with the agency logo.

    The building was massive with 20 floors because everything to do with the agency was here. Dorms, training rooms, recording booths, corporate offices, marketing, a cafe, everything. Some trainees almost never left the building. Floor 4 was for female trainees. When she arrived, other students were gradually coming in, while full-time trainees were taking a water break to chat with their newly arrived compatriots. The instructors remained stiff-faced at the front of the room. Nakyung was friendly with almost all of the trainees and could talk with them, but there really wasn’t anyone she was very close with. That was how it had always been for her, it seemed like. In her neighborhood, in her school, here. She was like a faintly positive presence.

    “Minju-ssi! How was your math exam?” Nakyung said with a polite smile. The pretty auburn-haired girl sighed. “I lost track of time and didn’t study too well, you know how it gets. For the life of me, I couldn’t remember how to solve logarithmic equations.” Nakyung was never quite sure what to say in a situation like this so she gave a sympathetic smile and a “Oh, you’ll get it next time!” Minju forced a smile and looked at the floor. Both girls were unsure of what to say.

    “Trainees!” They were saved from the awkward silence by the voice resounding throughout the room. Nakyung looked up to see none other than the CEO, Kim Taeyeon. Her presence was commanding and every aspect of her appearance was immaculate. Once, she had been an idol but now she was every bit the businesswoman. “I’m sure you’ve all heard the rumors circulating through the company about a new group, and these have made you hopeful. I’m glad to confirm that these were true.” She paused for a minute, allowing the rise of excited whispers. Many girls’ faces were lit with joy; a few looked ashamed, as if they already knew they wouldn’t make it. Despite her worries, Nakyung felt luminous. Her dream was in reach; if she was announced as a member of the group, she would be an idol soon. Her hands shook slightly as she trembled at the thought. Taeyeon continued.

    “The new group will be named Itzy, and the debut concept is being sassy and different. There will be five members.”

    Only five? Nakyung thought as she glanced over the many girls in the room. There were about thirty of them, and only five were getting a chance to debut. She considered herself to be above average, but she wasn’t sure if she was in the top five. Still, elation rose in her chest at the thought of Taeyeon calling out her name, at debuting. They would get to record; the world would hear her voice. There would be choreographers hired just for them. They would do photoshoots with lavish outfits, go on variety shows, do live shows for fans. There would be Naver articles highlighting their charms and sales achievements. She would be an idol.

    “Those five members are: Chaeryeong. Yeji. Lia. Yuna. And…” The tension in the room was palpable. Only one name left. The four that had been announced were probably on the verge of exploding from excitement, but would stay quiet for fear or looking unprofessional in front of Taeyeon. Nakyung wasn’t looking at them. She was staring at Taeyeon, waiting for that final name.

    Will it be me? It has to be. This is what I’ve worked for. I need it to be.

    “Ryujin.” Taeyeon concluded.

    Nakyung’s heart hit the floor as she registered the name. Ryujin. Not her. Her options, her dream, gone in an instant. What could she do now? Change agencies? Wait even more years to debut? Quit training altogether? Those weren’t options, her option was to be an idol.

    I can switch agencies, and then what? Will I hop agencies until I debut in my 20s with a small company? She’d be an idol, but she’d dreamed of being an idol here, being a big name.

    Imagine the fan chants of my name. Lee Nakyung. Then she remembered that she wouldn’t hear those for a while, if at all.

    You’re a fool. You thought you could be a big celebrity, but you can’t make the cut. The thought brought tears to her eyes.

    “To the rest of you; don’t despair. There’s something else I came here to announce.” Nakyung perked up. What could it be? A sister group of sorts? A soloist? A trainee exchange?

    “The next season of Produce101 is about to start filming and we’ve been asked to send trainees. We’ve chosen six of you for this opportunity. Those six are Nakyung…” She didn’t hear any names after that. I have a chance! 101 trainees. 12 final group members. Those weren’t exactly great odds, but it represented a chance, and that was greater to her than being left to train and wonder about debut.

    “Itzy girls, go to level 5 and we will discuss the details of your debut there. Produce trainees, stay here. The rest of you are dismissed.” The indifferent, formal expression on Taeyeon’s face as she delivered her final words were in stark contrast to the emotionality of the girls around Nakyung. Two of the Itzy girls had tears streaming down their faces that were accompanied by large smiles, while the others were practically jumping for joy. Some of the Produce girls looked apprehensive, while others showed a profound sense of relief. The rest looked despondent, as if they would start weeping as soon as they left the room.

    Nakyung couldn’t really tell how she felt. Of course, the thought of competing against so many trainees and having her every move judged by netizens put her on edge, but she’d be lying if she said that she didn’t watch the show without imagining herself in that situation. It would be somewhat of an escape from her go to school, go to training routine. She didn’t doubt how exhausting the intensity was rumored to be, but they would be training for something immediate, not just a distant debut. They would give performances, meet all kinds of other trainees and instructors. Even if she didn’t debut, she suspected the experience would make her a better trainee.

    Taeyeon still seemed unaffected by the news she had delivered. Her heels clacked against the wooden floor as she slowly walked around them. “As I’m sure you know, each season of Produce101 begins with a class evaluation. The goal of the show is to get the most screen time; this is what really determines the votes, as well as being charming and talented. Which class do you girls think gets the most screen time?”

    “Class A,” Minju quietly responded.

    “Correct. While a common archetype for the lower classes is a ‘redemption arc’, which girl they choose for that is very unpredictable. We are not going to chance that. Additionally, exceptional performances comprise the first episode. Exceptional as in, very good or very bad. We are going to get a significant cut of the first episode, and it will be by performing very well. Please your instructors. Perform well. Hone your individual charms. Being from a company this notorious, you will be afforded more screen time. Don’t waste it, and make sure you deserve it.”

    Taeyeon paused to let her words sink in.

    “Now, your first evaluation routine will be to the song Gotta go by Chungha. We have an original choreography prepared. Nakyung, you are the center. Main vocalist and main dancer will be decided after you have worked on the song for a few days because I want to see who is best suited to it. Your choreographer will be in shortly.”

    Taeyeon stopped for a moment, her face softening. “Good luck. I know you all deserve to debut.”

    ***

    Chapte