III. Where do Broken Hearts Go

I Love You Still, I Always Will

Junmyeon wakes up slowly. He feels around him, soft duvet and mattress, a comfortable pillow, and no one beside him. He opens his eyes and he’s greeted with muted brightness from the curtained windows. A space in between the curtains reveal the morning light. His eyes drift to the familiar wall clock. It’s close to seven in the morning and guessing by the silence that’s surrounding him, Yixin has either already left or is still asleep.

Junmyeon yawns and stretches, noting the missing headache. Thanks to the medicine that Yixing made him drink.

He steps out from Yixing’s room after making the bed. As he observed last night, nothing much has changed in Yixing’s apartment. He knew where everything is and he knows that there’s a guest bedroom. So Junmyeon is baffled to find Yixing sleeping on the sofa in the living room. He goes back in the master bedroom, takes a fresh blanket, and gently drapes it on Yixing.

 

He sighs, “when will you learn to take care of yourself, hm?”

 

He leaves him to catch more sleep. He’s still familiar where to get the cooking utensils and there’s just egg in the refrigerator. It’s a good thing that he found a pancake mix in one of the cabinets.

Junmyeon wants to prepare breakfast for Yixing’s generosity yesterday.

Yesterday’s events and his actions slowly dawn on him. The feeling of embarrassment creeps up on him, making him blush from his neck up.

 

Yixing couldn’t have chosen a better time to wake up and enter the kitchen. 

 

“Mornin’.” He greets with a yawn, hair in disarray, and glasses perching on his nose.

 

Junmyeon looked at him for a while, nodded, and went back to making pancakes. Yixing proceeds to quietly brew coffee beside him. They fall into a silent pattern where they move swiftly in the kitchen. Yixing slides him a mug of coffee after some time, he takes a sip and it tastes just how he’s always wanted it.

 

“Thank you.” Junmyeon quietly thanks Yixing, who’s leaning on the counter beside him. “Are you going to work today?”

 

Yixing hums, eyes half closed while sipping on his hot coffee.

 

“Why don’t you take a shower first? Breakfast will be done soon.”

 

Junmyeon said it easily, as if he’s stating today’s weather, as if they’ve done it everyday. And Yixing is sleepy with little caffeine in his system.

 

Yixing hums, pushes from the counter and makes to leave. But the easiness of the morning and the familiarity of it all has already seeped in him so he does something out of habit and familiarity.

 

Yixing holds Junmyeon by the hips, and kisses him on his temple.

 

Junmyeon stops, taken aback by the gesture, but doesn’t say anything about it. Yixing has already entered the shower when he realized what he had done.


 

When Yixing came back, he’s dressed for work, hair sleek, glasses exchanged with contact lenses. Junmyeon stops from placing the pancakes in the table to stare for awhile. When Yixing noticed it, he smiles at him, the kind that Junmyeon fell for way back then.

 

“Do you want to have shower too?” Yixing offered.

 

Junmyeon clears his throat and places the pancakes at the table. “I’ll do it in my hotel. I’ll go after...”

 

“I’ll take you there. Let’s eat.” Yixing says with finality in his tine but a sweet smile on his lips.

 

They eat in silence for awhile, until Junmyeon couldn’t stand Yixing’s stare and smiling anymore.

 

“What?” he asks with eyebrows meeting in the center.

 

“Remember that time in college, you were drunk but we had exams the next day. You look exactly like that right now.”

 

Much to Junmyeon’s horror, he remembers. Was this day dedicated to make him remember embarrassing memories? His eyes widen and jaw slackens, “Hey! at least I didn’t vomit my guts out this time!”

 

Yixing snickers in front of him. He has his nose scrunched up, dimples showing, eyes closed, and shoulders shaking.

 

“Stop laughing!” Junmyeon throws an unused napkin at him, almost laughing with Yixing but he’s preventing himself.

 

Yixing picks it up and reaches in front of him to wipe a stray honey by Junmyeon’s lips. “No, you didn’t. I would’ve caught you raiding my scotch supplies if you hadn’t stumbled in the room.”

 

Junmyeon playfully scoffs at him while placing another pancake on Yixing’s plate. “I can handle my alcohol well.”

 

Yixing slices the pancake, “Hmn, is that why you slept like a baby?”

 

“Ha—” Junmyeon couldn’t finish his answer because Yixing fed him a particularly large slice of pancake.

 

“Okay. You can freshen up while I do the dishes. There’s fresh towel in the shower.” Yixing tells him.


 

It’s so easy to fall into a pattern and familiarity like this. But this isn’t what they have right now.

 

Junmyeon will go back to his hotel room, and then back to his suburban life.

 

Yixing will go to work and continue managing the business.

 

All they have are memories of what used to be.


 

And Junmyeon thinks about it when he comes home, when he’s showered and has plopped on his bed, only with his memories to accompany him. He closes his eyes and he remembers Yixing’s kiss on his temple, his hold on his hips, and his finger on his lips.

 

Junmyeon sighs.

 

And then his nose is suddenly wet.

 

He opens his eyes and sees his cat. “Hi there, buddy. Missed me, huh?” He scratches the british shorthair by the head. “I missed you too, Lay.”

 

Lay puts his head under his owner’s chin and sleeps there.



 

Yixing steps out of his Aventador a few minutes shy of five in the afternoon. He wanted to save time driving because he almost went mad with the board taking their sweet time in that useless meeting. He only wanted to reach here sooner (see Junmyeon again, sooner).

 

The bell on the shop rings just as he enters the pet shop. Then he hears Junmyeon shouting from somewhere in the back. “Baek, is that you? Can you man the counter for a bit? Cuddles threw up here again.”

 

He doesn’t answer. There’s not Baek here yet, so he takes the liberty to man the counter, his knowledge of being a cashier coming into place.

 

An elderly woman comes in a few seconds later and Yixing instantly bows, “Good afternoon,” he greets.

 

“Oh, who is this dashing young man? Are you Myeonnie’s new help?”

 

“I guess I am,” Yixing replies with a smile.

 

“Myeonnie likes employing young handsome men, I see.” She laughs in her handkerchief. “I’d like to purchase ten kilos of Friskies please.”

 

Yixing looks around trying to locate ten kilograms of what may look like cat food while the old lady keeps talking and counting her money.

 

“Mr. Min likes to eat a lot, along with his kitten. There’s six of them you see. Then Mr. Dae has a very delicate appetite and he only eats that brand. Good thing Taotao and Kris likes anything I give them. Oh, you don’t know where it is? It’s by the entrance door, that big bag over there.” She kindly supplies.

 

Yixing walks to it and sees a bag that’s not suitable for an elderly to carry. He punches the purchase and then, “Do you have a car ma’am? I can carry it for you.”

 

“Oh, you’re such a delight! Hyunnie likes carrying it for me too but the poor sap looks like he’ll trip anytime. And you may call me Mrs. Oh, okay?”

 

Yixing nods and carries the bag on his back. Mrs. Oh opens the back of her car so Yixing can place the cat food there. She tried to be subtle when she slipped a bill by Yixing’s polo pocket.

 

“I can’t take this ma’am.”

 

“It’s okay, child. I’m happy Myeonnie’s got more help. That kid has been working too hard.  I hope to see you around!”

 

He bows once again and bids Mrs. Oh a good day. He makes a mental note to slide the bill by the tip jar later on.

 

“Who are you?”

 

Yixing is startled by the sudden voice behind him. He turns back to find a young man with arms around paper bags and questioning eyes. He’s handsome and Yixing wonders if this is the handsome Hyunnie that Mrs. Oh was pertaining to.

 

“You’re not from around here, are you?”

 

“Uh,” Yixing scratches the back of his head. “No, I came here for Junmyeon.”

 

“Oh!” The young man’s face becomes friendlier, “Come in, come in!”

 

Yixing opens the door for the young man and they enter the shop.

 

“Hey, boss! You have another suitor here. But he looks like from the city.” The young man shouts.

 

Another suitor? Well, what would Yixing expect? Of course Junmyeon would have suitors. He’s single, loveable, and handsome. And on top of that all, a good heart.



 

“What are you tal--” Junmyeon emerges from the other side of the store only to stop in his tracks upon seeing Yixing.

 

“Well, I saw this handsome man helping Mrs. Oh with her cat food. And he said he came for you so… Oh wait, is he the non-existent but apparently existing city boyfriend?” The employee asks his boss.

 

Yixing raises his eyebrows to Junmyeon on that question too.

 

“Ah… Yixing this is Baekhyun, my loud employee,” Junmyeon claps Baekhyun’s shoulder a little too hard, causing the other to buckle on his knee. Though it looked like some of it was playfully exaggerated. “And this is, Yixing.”

 

No one spoke after that. Yixing and Baekhyun still waiting for what Junmyeon will say next.

 

“Uh… a friend.” He finishes.

 

Baekhyun extends a hand for Yixing to shake. “Good to meet you, Mr. Yixing, my boss’ city friend. I guess you have to fall in line with the rest of those suitors.” Then Baekhyun winks at him.

 

Yixing smiles at Baekhyun’s childish antics. “Well I hope I have some kind of advantage.” Then they shake hands.

 

“What brings you here, Yixing?” Junmyeon asks.

 

“I’m here to deliver the contract.”

 

“What happened to the company messengers?”

 

“It’s kind of an important document so…” Yixing trails off while Baekhyun has a very amused smile behind the two talking men.

 

“Oh, okay. Thank you then.” Junmyeon says when Yixing gave him the thick manila folder. 

 

“Ahem, ahem,” Baekhyun clears his throat loudly and unnecessarily, “I don’t think Mr. Yixing should go back to the city without at least a dinner when he came all the way here, right Myeonnie?”

 

Junmyeon looks uneasy at first, eyes darting everywhere but Yixing’s way.

 

“I don’t want to impose. I can have dinner on the way.”

 

Baekhyun raises his eyebrows at his boss and his head to the side. Junmyeon could almost hear the younger sass him: well, are you letting him leave just like that?

 

“I can make us dinner. You should join us too, Baekhyun.”

 

“Me?” Baekhyun asks with both his hands on his chest. “No, no, I’ll pass on this one, Myeonnie. ” Then he smiles at him innocently but with an evil glint in his eyes.

 

Junmyeon squints his eyes at Baekhyun, “There’s a lot to clean up. Cuddles threw up again. Kkokko made a mess…”

 

Baekhyun doesn't let Junmyeon finish his litany and pushed him by the shoulders out the front door. “I got it boss! I’ll clean and lock up. Don’t worry!”

 

Junmyeon sighs and scratches a finger by his temple. He looks at Yixing who’s still standing in the middle of the shop. “Let’s go, I guess? Home’s not too far.”

 

Baekhyun opens the door for Yixing and nods his head towards his waiting boss, “Off you go Mr. Yixing.”

 

“Please, just call me Yixing.” He smiles at him as he passes by the door. Baekhyun replies with a thumbs up.

 

The walk home really isn't that long because it’s just next door. Junmyeon rented the small area with his savings. He divided it into his home and the pet shop, that turned into some kind of a mini animal shelter next door. He’s planning to expand it to a bigger animal shelter but he needs to save up more.



 

When they enter the home, Yixing feels an instant warmth by his ankles.

 

And then he hears a meow.

 

Yixing looks down and he’s greeted by a familiar set of cat eyes. “Lay!” He shouts excitedly, making the cat bare his teeth at him.

 

“Easy, Lay. That’s Yixing.” Junmyeon pacifies the british shorthair by his leg.

 

Yixing squats in front of Lay who’s quieted down and studies him with head tilts. The human smiles and offers his palm. “Hi there, Lay. You’ve been guarding Junmyeon, hm?”

 

As if understanding the question, Lay answers with a single meow, and then he rests his head by Yixing’s palm. Yixing gladly pets the cat. He makes a cradle with his arms and Lay jumps into it.

 

“Since when have you two been that close?” Junmyeon asks curiously.

 

Yixing shrugs his shoulders. “Maybe he just misses his other father. Right, Lay?”

 

The cat doesn’t respond and neither does Junmyeon.

 

“Is it okay if I clean up first. I smell of dog vomit and poo.”

 

Yixing hums, already busy with Lay.

 

“Okay, make yourself at home. I’ll be right out.”

 

Yixing sits by the loveseat, still cooing at Lay who’s quietly perching on his arms. He rests back and exhales long.

 

The house is small, but it doesn’t give off a claustrophobic aura. He doesn’t hear anything outside, but he’s sure that if any of the pets in the shop makes a ruckus, it’ll be easy to hear. There’s not much furniture, just the essentials.

 

Yixing feels welcome and warm.

 

Lay jumps from his arms and wanders to his cat house. Yixing takes the chance to wander around. A few steps and he’s already in the kitchen. He immediately notices the sets of cutlery, mugs, glasses, even the hanging apron, are all in twos. This pricks at his heart.

 

It makes him think if one of those damned suitors have already won Junmyeon’s heart. But Baekhyun didn’t sound like Junmyeon is already taken. This keeps Yixing hopeful.

 

Junmyeon steps out from his room, drying his hair.

 

Yixing immediately notices his smell. It’s not how it used to be, not the same shampoo nor soap that they had. It smells like he’s rubbed flowers all over and soft laundry detergent. The smell pulls Yixing in and maybe hug him so he can smell him more.

 

“Are you okay?” Junmyeon cuts his musings.

 

Yixing shakes his head clear and nods.

 

Junmyeon prepares them a garden salad and some boiled chicken. He insisted that Yixing eat something healthy because he might have been too full of meat and grease. Yixing agrees because it’s the truth.

 

“I’ll prepare the table then.” Yixing suggests.

 

“You can find the…”

 

But Yixing has already opened the drawer of the cutleries, got the plates, and glasses ready. He’s set it one trip to the kitchen and to the small dining table.

 

“I see that you’ve been investigating.”

 

Yixing chuckles at Junmyeon’s accusation. “They were easy to find.”

 

“Well, I’m sorry it’s not as big as your apartment.” Junmyeon has his back on Yixing and is busy mixing the garden salad.

 

Yixing then encages Junmyeon between his arms, propped them on either side of him, his face by his shoulder. Yixing’s not touching him but he’s close enough to feel Junmyeon’s heat radiating on his back.

 

“That’s not what I meant.” Yixing clarifies in a whisper and swiftly takes the bowl of salad to serve it on their table. “Come on, let’s eat.” Yixing calls him by the table.

 

Junmyeon walks slowly towards him and sits by the table. Yixing’s smirk is wiped off on Junmyeon’s next remark.

 

“I don’t want any of it. It’s yours, Yixing.”

 

Yixing gently lays his fork and sighs. “It’s your father’s wish, Jun.”

 

“And it’s my decision to accept it or not.”

 

“Why don’t you want it?”

 

“Because…” Junmyeon heaves a deep breath, “I’m not ready. I’ll burn his legacy down to the ground, Yixing. It’s something father wanted, not me, you know what I want.”

 

A simple life, to be a veterinarian, and save animals.

 

At some point, Yixing was in that list. But not anymore.

 

“I know, I know.” He reaches out to hold Junmyeon’s hand on top of the table. “That’s why I’m making you a deal. Don’t give it all up. You’ll still be a part of the board, be involved with your father’s hard work.”

 

Yixing holds Junmyeon’s scared gaze. When it became clear that Junmyeon can’t answer him yet, he smiles at him, full of adoration and understanding. He reaches with his other hand and thumbs on Junmyeon’s cheek, “Think about it, you don’t have to answer right now. I can come back for the contract anytime.”

 

There’s still worry in Junmyeon’s eyes, but at least he saw his shoulder relax for a bit. “No, I’ll take it to you when I decide.”

 

Yixing nods and drops his hands back to his fork and knife. He wants to lighten the mood a bit. “So, who’s this boyfriend in the city?” He pops a chicken and looks at Junmyeon.

 

“No one in particular, just someone to ward off the persistent ones.” Junmyeon challenges him.

 

“There’s that many for you to make up an imaginary boyfriend in the city?”

 

Junmyeon chuckles, “Are you jealous?”

 

“And if I am?” Yixing asks sincerely.

 

Junmyeon shrugs his shoulders instead and diverts their conversation, “I’m taking up veterinary now.”

 

At that, Yixing glows. “I’m proud of you, Jun. I really am! We should celebrate!”

 

That makes Junmyeon smile. “Next time, when I graduate and get that degree.”

 

Yixing stands up abruptly.

 

“Where are you going?” Junmyeon asks behind him.

 

He opens the fridge to get the carton of cranberry juice. “Here! This is close to red wine.” He pours them both a glass and Junmyeon can’t help but laugh at Yixing’s absurdity.

 

Yixing holds up his glass, “to reaching your dreams.”

 

“To happiness.”