~*~ 001 ~*~

When There Was Us

“Are you running late?” He could see the smirk pulled against her lips; her arms crossed as she paced their shared living room. She called it since she gave him the date and time, that he would show up late as he often held troubles getting out of the office early.

“Absolutely not” Jimin declared, glancing at the red display clock against his dashboard, only trailing time by a short fifteen minutes. If he sped up on the highway, he might make it on time “I’m right on time.”

“Don’t you lie to me Park Jimin, you’re not even on the highway yet” she countered, knowing him well after their two years of living together, three years of dating, and a lifetime of friendship that blossomed into the best blessing.

“Guilty” he chuckled, running a hand through his raven mocked hair, stuck at a standstill within the traffic of rush hour, cursing the red light for taking its sweet time while drivers were rushing around for a minute to prosper. “I’m sorry” he murmured with guilt that had been erased when her laughter strung through his ears, the melody to his life’s song.

“Don’t be, I gave you an earlier time. I knew you’d be late” Nora was the answer to his every flaw, the reason his life had transcended from mediocre to outstanding and long lasting. “Just be safe and I’ll see you when you get home. Remember, tux and slacks, nothing lower.”

“What am I? Your barbie doll” he cooed if only to hear another fit of giggles, something he was granted before her voice turned stern and scolding, a reminder that she was serious, that this was important. “I’ll dress up to impress. When do they arrive?”

“At five, which means you have an hour to be ready” that little brat, she told him four. Then again, it was 4:05 and he still was at a standstill in the raging traffic. Clever girl that he would soon marry. “Hey Jimin?”

“Hmm?”

“I love you” she whispered before hanging up the phone, allowing him to concentrate on his new deadline. Meeting the parents… The very rich and endowed parents. Less than an hour away. Great.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“It wasn’t that horrible” Nora breathed onto his bare shoulder, her hand continuously massaging the soap and bubbles into his lower back, easing the tension slowly but effectively.

“Your father called me scum Nora” Jimin sighed heavily, and she could hear the glass shattering within the breath that filled his lungs of defeat and exhaustion “they don’t approve of me, they never will.”

“Oh hush, he was just trying to scare you” she scolded, flicking his neck and forcing him to flinch from the physical touch, his eyes narrowing as they glanced over his shoulder, finding her already standing and wrapped within her pink towel, his corresponding blue one within her hands, indicating the bubble bath had been completed, she would not comfort his sorrow weeping any longer. “Come to bed with me, I’m tired.”

She knew her father was rough to handle, that he was a terrifying man with too much authority and power, yet she never fathomed he would disrespect the love of her life before barely getting to know him. She found it unfair and screamed for sanctuary, yet her father was a man of pride and would not take back his words. He had meant what he said, and if he didn’t… the world would never know simply because he could never be wrong.

“You okay?” He whispered onto her forehead, her eyes lifting from his open palm to instead stare into her future, his bright smile always coursing her to comfort, lifting a heavy weight and sharing the pull.

“I think” she answered with honestly, still shocked from the horrible dinner with her pristine parents. “Are you okay?” She whispered, knowing he was fragile and still recovering from the battle, a wounded warrior in need of love and care.

“I will be” Jimin responded softly, taking her hand and placing it before his lips, allowing the delicate petals to harvest onto her skin, sinking into her body and creating a calming flame. “You love me, right?”

“How could I not love you? Have you met yourself lately?” She cooed, nuzzling her face further into the crook of his neck, her arms wrapped tightly against his waist, as though terrified if she’d loosen her grip, he’d float away, just like a dream without action.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

“Do you think she will accept it?” Jimin knew he was doing wrong speaking on the phone with her, that if he were to get busted, he’d have to explain a lot of why’s and comfort several tears, and despite this knowledge, he still dialed in the number he remembered by heart.

“She’d be stupid to say no” her voice didn’t change much, it still contained a higher pitch than most girls, an innocence and beauty that no bell could match. “When are you proposing to her?” It was asked so sincerely, and yet it almost hurt to hear the happiness within her voice, to know that everything between them would be officially over and deceased. The hope that had carried him through their break up, would demolish all eternity.

“Tomorrow, after work” he held his breath, for what reason he didn’t know. Maybe in a sense, he almost wished she would say something to clarify that they were over, that moving on was their best option. Or maybe it was the opposite.

“She’s lucky Jimin” it still sends shivers up his back when she spoke his name, recalling how familiar it felt when spoken in her voice, a longing embracing his chest and doubt penetrating his entire being.

‘She’ll never be you Suzi…’ the thought was a silent one, yet it screamed in the dark hallways of their apartment, reconciled from the glass that separated the balcony to their shared bedroom, his eyes looming over the figure confided within his bed, sleeping soundly and completely unaware of his shadows.

“Good luck tomorrow” her voice pulled his vision back towards the open city view, blessed to have such a luxurious apartment to call his own, and yet he was happier within the filth of the city, surrounded by trouble and coated within another’s embrace.

“Yeah” he forced out the words, nodding as though swearing his emotions and yearning away, knowing it wasn’t fair to the girl who loved him currently. “Goodnight Suzi…”

“Goodnight Jimin.”