Prologue

Beloved Enemy: Chain of Memories

The chirping of pitta birds, the leafy flutter of insect wings, sounded unfamiliar to him. Jeongguk rolled onto his back and groaned from the pain. His eyelids flicker as they slowly opened to adjust to the beautiful green above him and hiding behind it was a clear sky. He takes a deep breath, his heart pounding loudly in his ears. His brain pounded against his skull, raging headache that took away his ability to think. He places his hand on the throbbing pain in his gut, it felt deep and warm. He brings his hand to his face and winces at the red stain covering his hand. Blood. Jeongguk cursed underneath his breath, as he takes a slow and deep breath, encouraging himself to get up and take care of the wound before he bleeds out. He glances around the open field of flowers, unable to do what his brain was urging him to do. The movement made him lightheaded and, turning his stomach sour and nausea. He was gonna die and there was nothing he could about it.

As he tries to take in the strange unfamiliar forest, he hears the snapping of a dry twig, followed by an unnatural noise. A low growl comes first from behind him, sending his heart in panic, and another followed and then from all sides. His heart came to a stop when his eyes met the red-eye beast slowly approaching him from the unknown. They were four large animals in total approaching him, slowly, growling with fangs long and sharp enough to break a tree or a human at this point. Jeongguk cursed loudly, as he squints his eyes, as they blurred from the loss of blood.

He tried to identify the beast before him but just thinking made his head and the wound ache even more. He has never set eyes on such a creature before, not that he recalls ever seeing such a monster.

I cannot believe I’m going to die like this!

The beasts in the front pawed the ground and flashed set fangs, his eyes widened when he saw the beast closing in. If he was not hurt, he would’ve fought but he knew one movement, and the beasts will attack with no hesitation. He wanted to cry but no tears came. He was alone and he was gonna die.

He closed his eyes, trying to remember anything but where there should be stored memories remained a dark hole. Jeongguk…was his name and the only thing he could remember. He had no memories of who he was, where he was or how he got there? And why he was wounded and left to die.

Someone help me.

He heard voices, and quickly opened his eyes as the beast's snarls and growls, as an arrow went past him, piercing the beast to his side. A precise shot into the body, and sent it back, slamming against the tree. Jeongguk glances around but saw no one, the voices came again, followed by other weapons, spears and more arrows. The beast whimpered softly and retreated back into the unknown, as Jeongguk’s heart squeezed in his chest fearful.

Then suddenly, he was confused as he was surrounded by people, who look like him. Humans? The strangers chatter among themselves, and Jeongguk knew they were talking about him, he picked up a few words. He watched, as they watched him.

Twig cracks followed by footsteps approach him, he follows the noise and glances to the side to see a boy dressed in colorful clothing. The closer the boy got, the clearer he became- he was beautiful, with honey brown hair and white feather earrings. He had bowman leather quiver strapped behind his back with one hand clenching a bow.

The boy kneels beside him, and sweet fragrance of orange blossom filled his nostrils, filling him with tranquility.

“Stay still,” says the boy, “I’m not going to hurt you.” His voice was soft and soothing, like a sweet melody, Jeongguk watched him, as the boy places his palm on his wound, applying pressure on it.

Jeongguk winced, “That hurts!”

The boy continued pressing on the wound, as Jeongguk continued cursing, not sure what he was doing. His body trembled, as a cold breeze went through his body, followed by a bright blue light. At first, he thought, it was a fire, but it was warm. What the hell?

A few seconds passed. Maybe two. And the aching pain ceased, and the light disappeared, and Jeongguk felt like a weight has been lifted off his chest, as his vision darkened and eyes closed shut.

“You lost a lot of blood,” says the boy, “We need to move him to the compound.”

“Is that wise?” another voice came.

“Are we just going to let him die here?” a third voice spoke, “Do as Ji-min says, pick up the boy.”

“Yes, leader!” shouted other voices simultaneously.

***

Jeongguk’s eyes flung open, sitting up quickly, every thought in high definition. His eyes take in every ray of light and without a doubt, he knew he had passed out. He was hit with the sudden motion of confusion, and panic. He could hear distant chatters, as he tries to remember what happened. A flash of memories of what happened invaded his mind, but beyond that remained darkness. He recalls being saved by that beautiful honey brown haired boy and blue light. His heart pounded and his mind went empty. He was no longer in pain. He lifts the white cloth, he was dressed in, staring at the sealed up wound on his abdomen. No blood. Completely healed except for the scar.

He was in a small room- across from where he was sitting was a wooden bed, a lamp standing between the two bed, glows and lights up the room, there was no window, just a hole on top of the ceiling letting in the moonlight. Jeongguk sat frozen for what felt like an eternity.

“Where am I?” he mumbles, as he glances around. There was nothing for his mind to hang on, no familiar sight, sound other than howling of night creatures.

His eyes kept wandering, as he continues hearing the distant chatters. Feeling lightheaded, his throat dry, in need of water, he has never been thirsty as he was now, the urge to drink anything dominated his thoughts. He slowly, cautiously, made his way towards what he presumed to be a door and opens it. He could see a fire illuminating the place, as the voices ceased, and a pair of four eyes turn to him. It was an elderly woman, a man with two children, a boy, and girl.

 Jeongguk glanced around the vast space- space was made of dark red bricks. A tiny stove, three small wooden chairs, a circular table in the middle, where the people sat staring at him.

“You’re up,” a voice broke the silence. He turns to the elder woman who spoke.

“Can I- can I…have water,” he says, his throat dry.

“Oh, yes, Taemin go get him a cup of cold water!” says the woman, “Come join us.” The little shirtless boy got up, and poured water in a gray cup, and walked towards him. He holds out the cup towards Jeongguk, who takes it and gulps down the water. It was sweet and refreshing- such a strange taste. After his thirst was quenched, Jeongguk gave the cup back to the boy and turned to the people sitting at the table. The world span in a circle and nothing made sense, as a wave of emotions wrenched his gut, as his mind filled with questions.

Who am I? Where am I? How did I get here?