Like a Human

The Eternal Flower
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

---

 

Systems are booting up...

 

With his eyes fluttering open, Luhan feels himself waking up from what he calls the abyss.

 

The first thing that he does now that his eyelids are lifted and his vision's fully functional is to glance about at his surroundings. Okay, he's still in the same tavern room that he's been lodging in for these past few days. Good.

 

With slow movements (as not to disturb his body-charger), he straightens up his position from the chair besides his rented bed and gets up to go about his day.

 

It's been fairly nice staying in this quaint little town these past few days, but, he's got exactly eight more towns and villages to pass through before he'll finally be able to complete his quest for the eternal flower and return back to his mother with a part of its essence. So, it's with a figuratively heavy heart that he leaves the tavern later that afternoon--smiling nevertheless and waving at the tavern-owner who waves back at him while blowing their nose into a handkerchief.

 

Now...he's all alone again.

 

And usually that'd be fine--if he were any other android. But, because his mother programmed him with extroverted qualities, it soon becomes taxing on his energy the longer that he walks out of town by himself. So, at fifty percent charge, he has to plug in his black, solar-powered charger (that's shaped like a hair-bun) into the port on his scalp to keep his energy up while his mood sours.

 

A step to the left then a step to the right, with his posture straight all the while.

 

It stays as boring as this until he makes it to the first tavern of the next town.

 

---

 

After paying and getting showed to his room by the tavern-owner (a kind man named Junmyeon), Luhan's just about to enter said room and do a routine self-check up when his auditory sensors pick up on the sound of singing coming from the room beside his.

 

With his lips curling up at the pleasant sound, he instantly turns away from his room door and walks towards the one with the singing human. And with an even brighter smile on his face (because now he hears another voice accompanying the first one), he raises a hand up to politely knock on the door.

 

Then curiously, the singing stops.

 

His delighted expression turns into a confused one at the silence, before the door opens and he quickly assumes a friendly smile again. Two men now stand before him; one shorter with a slight tan and glasses on, and one taller with deeply-tan skin and a curious pout to his lips.

 

"Hi there--" Always remember, Luhan. Pause fillers. "--um, I heard your singing from my room, and, uh, just wanted to say that you two sounded very harmonic together."

 

The two men give each other a quick, wary glance and Luhan's smile falters a bit before he forces a brighter smile (his teeth showing and all) and asks, "Have you two been singing together long?"

 

The shorter one's eyes are squinting at him now, while the taller one cautiously responds with a Uh, no...

 

Luhan automatically picks up on their increasing caution and starts internally panicking.

 

Abort, Luhan. Abort!

 

"Oh..." Luhan frowns and looks to the ground before looking back up at them. "Sorry, I-I must be making you two feel uncomfortable, I--"

 

"What uncomfortable?" the shorter one finally responds, cutting him off.

 

Luhan's eyebrows lift at that as he blinks with confusion. But your body language...?

 

"Okay, I mean, yeah it is kinda surprising to see an android at our door but like...life's weird like that, right?" The shorter one's eyes widen. "U-uh, not to say you're weird--I mean y-you seem really cool--but um--uh..." He glances up at the taller one and stage-whispe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter