I'm Your Fan

A series of .... ficlets

Zipped. Locked.

Byul grunted when she hefted her silver suitcase up, “what the hell did I pack…” shaking her head to herself, she picked up her leather jacket and shrugged it on, doing a mental checklist in her head to make sure that she didn’t forget anything.  

Satisfied that she didn’t miss a single thing, she fished out her phone from the pocket of her ripped jeans and dialed.

“Yo, what’s up?” Byul nearly hollered once Yongsun picked up her call.  

“Lounging around, watching rolling clouds, breeze between my hair, a book on my lap…..  ”

“You do realized that a succinct answer would be preferable?”

“But where’s the fun in that, Einstein?”

Byul chuckled, “Alright, you got……” She looked at the display clock on her phone before putting it back on her ear, “One and a half hour to pack up and meet me in New York.”

“Excuse me?”

“You heard me, 1.5 hour. I sent the ticket and flight details to your email, check it out.”

“Hold up, backtrack a bit, do you even know where I AM now?”

“I’m rolling my eyes right now, just saying, of course I know, I tracked you.”

“Nooooooooooo….. GOOD DAMN IT! THAT’S FOR EMERGENCY PURPOSES!!!”

“Yeah well, clock is ticking babe, I’ll see you in a couple of hours. Oh, pack more clothes will ya. Ciao bella!”

“Wait, wait, DON’T YOU ING DARE HANG….. up… damn it!” 

 

JFK International Airport

Yongsun glared at the grinning blond who waited for her at the arrival gate yet still allowed the slightly taller woman to wrap her in a bone crushing hug, “Is there any particular reason why oh why, you had to drag me to New York?”

“I need a reason?” Byul raised one of her eyebrow in question then grinned at the now flustered Yong.

“…. Well, not really, but a reason would be great, like I don’t know, you miss me, or something equally sweet.”

“Well, I heard Seoul has a lot of historical places and would be a great place to hang out, I’m thinking 6 months? We could sight see and stuff, oh, our flight in 60 minutes, we need to check in your luggage, mine’s already up, let’s go.” Byul took over Yongsun’s hold over her suitcase and dragged her forward.

“I… wait, hold the frack up, hang on!” Yongsun grabbed a hold on Byul’s leather jacket and pulled her back toward her, “…. What!!?”

“Flight in 60 minutes, come on, clock is ticking. I got us business class seats.”

“Seoul!? You dragging me to Korea???”

“Yes, I assure you, you still have very much impeccable hearing, we’re going to Seoul.”

“But why????”

“I can’t believe you actually got magna laude for 4 degrees.”

“I’m not a graduated psychic, you psycho!”

Byul laughed, looped their arms together and basically dragged Yongsun forward toward immigration, “Come on, where’s your sense of adventure, Yongsun-nie.”

“I have none! I’m a university professor! I do not have a sense of adventure!” Yongsun’s voice grew more and more high in pitch verging on hysteric and she only lowered her voice when she saw people started glancing their way.

“Then think about it as broadening your horizon, come on, we always talk about going to Korea someday, to see where our ancestor born, to finally practice our Korean for real and not just to ask for more kimchi in Korean bbq hut. I paid for all of it already, all you have to do is just sit back and relax, you and me, against the world, just like in college.”

Yongsun sighed wearily and ruffled her recently shorn hair, “Byul, seriously, is this for one of your project? I mean, I know you are a travel you-tuber, but do you have to drag me into it? I finally able to go to Florida to have some fun in the sun! I haven’t got any leave of absence for two years, pleaseeeeeeee.”

Yongsun’s plea fell on deaf ear, especially when Byul gave her the look, which basically just Byul staring at Yongsun with pleading eyes and with a slight jut of her lower lips, a non-pout, because god-forbid Byul will ever admit to pouting.

Crossing her arms, Yongsun glared back.

“It will not work on me. Do not forget that I dealt with pleading eyes on a daily basis.”

The jutted lips moved forward a tiny fraction.

“Nope. Still not going. Those kids got better pout than yours.”

There was a slight shine reflected on Byul’s eyes and a slight quiver on her chin and Yongsun practically caved.

“I hate you.”

The pout turned into an instant grin as Yongsun finally relented and Byul happily linked their arms together, “To the grandmotherland!!”  

 

 

Inside the plane – Business Class

“I see…..”

“What did you see?”

“Your eyes practically glued to that pretty tiny girl over there since we first board the plane.” Yongsun leaned over and whispered on Byul’s ear, “Are you stalking her? cause I do not condone stalker-ish behavior.”

“I thought you gonna be my forever wing woman, Yong. I’m slightly hurt here.”

“Wing Woman!! Not aiding and abetting criminal behavior!!!”

“You need to chill before you get coronary.”

“With you as my best friend, it’s a miracle I haven’t gone into cardiac arrest, or any arrest for that matter.”

Byul grinned, “Chillax, I won’t get us into any trouble.”

Yongsun shuddered, “Don’t jinx it! Oh gosh, you know what? I could feel the jinx already working.” Yongsun sat a little bit straighter so she could take a look at the long haired brunette sitting a couple of row in front of them and cringed.

“So she’s the reason you dragged me out to Seoul?”

Byul shrugged, a spot of pink adorning her face, “maybe.”

Rolling her eyes skyward so hard, Yong almost afraid that it won’t roll back, she poked Byul on the ribs, hard.

“Gah! Yong! It hurt!”

“Served you well! I can’t believe you! Do you want me to hold your hand when you ask her out or something? Geez, no wonder you never get the girl. Okay, fine, tell me about her.” Yong harrumphed and crossed her arms across her chest before leaning over her seat to take another peek at the girl.

“She’s tiny…. and young. How old is she? Tell me she’s at least of legal age, if not…. I swear to all things that is holy, I will lock you up inside a church and do exorcism on you. I will drown you in holy water”

Still rubbing her abused ribs, Byul rummaged through her backpack and excitedly ed her ipad toward Yong, “I got a free ticket to Kcon, hence why I dragged you to here, cause they held it here. She….” Byul reached over and slide her tab open, displaying a more dolled up version of the girl that Byul obsessed with smiling brightly at the camera, “is Jung Wheein, solo artist, angel personified and the love of my life.”

“I don’t hear her age there and I thought you hate K-pop, you once told me how they were all zero talent robo-doll manufactured to fulfilled middle age guy wet…..” Byul put her hand over Yongsun’s mouth and shushed her out.

“I stand corrected. I was wrong and she is 24 years old, very much legal and I intended to marry her.”

Yongsun slapped Byul’s hand away from and narrowed her eyes at her idiot best friend, “She didn’t know you exist does she?”

“Nope, but not for long.” Byul nodded confidently.

“You saw her in some concert, fell in love at first sight and turned insane.”

“Nope, not insane, just madly in love, those are two different things.”

Yong held her instantaneous need to shake the stupid blond and count to three to calm her spiking blood pressure, “Do you know anything about her???” Yong hissed out her question.  

“She has the voice of an angel, basically everything about her is like an angel. No wonder she’s the love of my life.”

“So now you gonna fly half way across the world and what?”

“I’m gonna make her fall in love with me.”

Yong gaped at the bold declaration and closed her eyes, pain burst behind her eyelid and her head instantly felt like there were 12 drummers pounding at her temples.

“Did I hit my head? Will I woke up somewhere in a hospital? Is this a twilight zone?”

Byul laughed and kissed Yong on her cheek, “Trust me, I will get the girl this time.”

Yong smacked Byul in the face with her tororo plushy, muffling the laughter that erupted from the blond, then groaned out loud.

*What did I just get myself into?*

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Notes:

D-11 of self isolation and working from home, going a bit stir crazy, hence this little bantering episode. Stay safe and healthy you guys. 

Gabe