Chapter 1

What Happens in Vegas Doesn't Stay There

                “Stupid ing Suho” Do Kyungsoo muttered, glaring death at the empty seat beside him. He was currently in business class on an airplane heading to Las Vegas. Originally he had been going to get married, but thanks to his best friend Baekhyun, who worked at the same place his now ex fiancé did, overhearing a few choice comments about how much “fun” he’d had with one of the interns, Kyungsoo  had threatened to filet him and decided he would have a “Vegas experience” without a cheating he hadn’t actually loved.

                It hadn’t been Kyungsoo’s idea to go to Vegas in the first place. Not being a big fan of attention and knowing neither one of them was actually in love with the other, he’d just wanted a quickie at the courthouse, with Baekhyun and maybe a couple of their work friends, namely Minseok and Sehun. Suho had been the one to talk him into Vegas, even giving him the money, in addition to his usual generous allowance as the fiancé of a ridiculously wealthy young man, to put the reservations in his name since he had more free time, having quit both his part time job as translator at the same company the others worked for, as well as his full-time job as sous chef in one of New York’s finest restaurants in order to finish up a few classes he’d decided to take, just for himself. Now his various experiences and education would hopefully serve another purpose.

                For years Kyungsoo had entertained the idea of moving somewhere out West, where nobody knew him and he could build a life just for himself. It wasn’t like his family wanted him, having spent ridiculous amounts of money to ship him from South Korea to New York and even more to keep him there, where the embarrassment of having a gay son wouldn’t be so noticeable. There weren’t very many people in New York he’d miss if he moved, other than Baek who he’d met at boarding school and roomed with since he was fourteen. They were even roommates in college and after they became functional adults, Baekhyun being about the only person to be able to coax the introverted Kyungsoo out of his cocoon of soft blankets and cookbooks and cooking shows.

                Then Kyungsoo had caught the eye of one Kim Junmyeon, known to everyone as Suho, and suddenly his own plans were scrapped and he was wearing ridiculously expensive tuxedos and suits, drinking overpriced champagne and since he was cute and quiet, functioning as arm candy while his charming boyfriend schmoozed, only asking for his input when it came to the Japanese businessmen he frequently came in contact with but had never learned the language.

                Suho never did anything without calculating what would be most beneficial to him. Even their engagement was planned out, in front of dozens of important people so Kyungsoo would be too embarrassed to refuse, his thought being even the nearly disowned heir of Do Textiles would still be useful to his planned business empire. He’d of course be what he considered generous, giving Kyungsoo a small estate outside the city to indulge his “hobbies” while being close enough to adorn Suho’s arm or indulge in some very proper, extremely vanilla missionary . Never mind that, as shy as he was Kyungsoo had managed to have several relationships prior to Suho, none of which could be called boring, at least when it came to between the sheets.

                Even Baekhyun, with his own long string of failed relationships had thought Kyungsoo had made a good match. Being straight and from more of a middle-class family who’d attended school of scholarships, he tried but didn’t really understand the difficulties his best friend faced being gay and from a wealthy background. He figured a rich, good-looking man wanted to marry Kyungsoo, so what was the problem? He was also happy the marriage would keep his best friend in New York, if not quite in the city, where he belonged as far as he was concerned, and had been all apologies when he relayed the news.

                Kyungsoo felt he should’ve known something was going on when Suho suggested that, rather than the ridiculously overdone wedding he’d been expecting to endure, they just run off and elope to Las Vegas for two weeks of fun and not being themselves. Figuring it was as close to what he wanted as he’d get, he accepted and made the arrangements. Now he knew his ex just didn’t want to get caught by his buddy, though why he thought the barely twenty-year-old was that naïve he didn’t know exactly who they were he’d never understand. He’d thought about cancelling the reservations even though he wouldn’t get his, or rather Suho’s money back, but being newly single (and extremely relieved) made him feel bold. He was hoping to run into one or more good-looking men so he could see if his bedroom skills had rusted any.

                So here he was, after one indulgent weekend of cuddling on the couch with Baekhyun, buried in his blankets, watching old movies and drinking hot chocolate, amusing himself before takeoff by imagining how many ways he could cut up his ex, when there was a tap on his shoulder and an “excuse me, sorry to bother you Mister Do, but do you mind if this gentleman sits with you? There’s a spoiled brat throwing a fit back in coach, and Mister Kim here has a nasty headache. The brat’s two-year-old isn’t helping either. There aren’t any other free seats, but if it bothers you we’ll see if someone will switch for vouchers.”

                Kyungsoo looked over at the apologetic flight attendant, only to meet eyes with the most gorgeous Korean-looking man he’d ever seen. Tall, bronze-skinned, dressed in a plaid flannel shirt and tight jeans that left nothing to the imagination, and cowboy boots that immediately had him picturing things that would make stars blush. The stranger was clutching a battered cowboy hat and had a ratty backpack over one shoulder, and gave a slow wink as though he knew exactly what the other man was thinking, and wholeheartedly approved.

                “Aisle or window?” Kyungsoo asked. He was currently sitting in the aisle seat, but this long-legged beauty he wanted under him or riding him as soon as possible would probably be more comfortable in the aisle, and he was short enough he frankly he didn’t care.

                “Whichever you don’t want. You’re the one doing me a favor. Name’s Kim Jongin” the stranger, or now Jongin said, bowing a little as he introduced himself in Korean. So I was right Kyungsoo thought, returning the bow. “Do Kyungsoo, and I’m short so I’ll sit by the window. What’s taking you to Sin City Mister Kim?”

                Jongin fished something out of his backpack, then shoved it in the overhead compartment next to Kyungsoo’s neat carryon before plopping into the seat the shorter man vacated, and sighed as he closed his eyes. “Thank you so much for this, and please it’s Jongin Mister Do. I just spent a hellacious week in a suit in a city I hate, arguing with a group of Japanese investors for my boss, who’s back at the ranch with a broken leg. I’d have had to go anyway since I’m the only one who speaks any Japanese, but as many times as I’ve done it, it never gets easier. Boss told me to take a few days for myself before I go back, and well there are a couple of shows I haven’t gotten to see before. It’s not all casinos there thankfully. So why is a cute little thing like yourself traveling alone to a place like Vegas?”

                “Forgetting my ex-. We were supposed to be getting married, but he decided he’d rather get screwed by the new intern where he works. I made the arrangements like the good little trophy spouse, so why not enjoy them? Who knows? Maybe I’ll have a once in a lifetime “Vegas Experience” or just end up eating way too much good food. Oh, and Mister Do is my father, who wants nothing to do with me. Kyungsoo is fine.”

                “You’re gay?”

                “If you have a problem with it, I suggest you go find the flight attendant now, before takeoff.”

                Jongin put his hands up. “Woah, I never said that. It would be hypocritical since I’m gay myself, and I’ve gotten plenty of for it. Mom tried to be supportive, but Dad blamed all the dance lessons instead of rotting away in school.”

                Kyungsoo mentally his lips. “You’re a dancer?”

                “I was. I’m on hiatus right now while I save up the money for my own school. I currently break horses to ride at Holland Ranch, and do a few rodeos every summer as a bronco buster. I’m also one of only two Asians in a group of Hispanics and rednecks at home, so occasionally like to go somewhere where I blend in better. In Vegas I’m just another hick tourist.”

                “I doubt you’d ever blend in. How does a dancer end up on a I’m assuming horse ranch, and where is home?”

                Jongin patted his pockets and eventually pulled out a well-used paper map of Nevada. He partially unfolded it and set it in his lap, and pointed out a tiny speck near the Oregon border. “That would be home. A handful of buildings and less than six hundred residents, roughly a fifth of whom work at the ranch.”

                Kyungsoo cocked his head and studied the dot. A tiny town in the middle of nowhere sounded like heaven to him, but he didn’t want to just assume he’d be welcome. Just because Jongin didn’t seem to mind him didn’t mean nobody else would.

                “You said you were one of two Asians. That’s awfully specific. How do you know there’s only two?”

                Jongin chuckled, only to wince and rub his head. Kyungsoo’s concern must have showed in his face, because he grinned ruefully instead. “My own fault actually. I forgot to switch to water with the businessmen last night, and woke up with a doozy of a hangover, only to have to rush to catch the plane. Oh, and the reason why I know there’s two of us is because the other is my best friend, one Park Chanyeol. He owns the bar in town. The locals named it Happy Virus because that’s exactly what he is, always cheerful. He didn’t want me to be lonely when I had to leave California, so packed up without a single thought.”

                “Had to leave? Sorry, I am being awfully nosy which isn’t like me. You don’t have to answer.”

                “Why wouldn’t I want to answer the questions of a cute thing like yourself. Maybe you’ll let me take you out to a friendly dinner when we get to Vegas and I figure out where I’m staying. I forgot to book a hotel. And to answer your question, I had a rather, persistent suitor. Taemin was one of my classmates in dance school and he was drop dead gorgeous, but a well-known and creepy as hell. I wasn’t interested in being a notch on his bedpost, and he didn’t understand no or why I wanted nothing to do with the AIDS epidemic waiting to happen.”

                Well there went Kyungsoo’s plans for a one-night stand or weekend fling. He was already too interested in Jongin to try and find somebody else, and he understood boundaries even if he didn’t always like it. He meant to only open his mouth to agree to dinner, but instead uttered a question that would change both their lives.

                “Why don’t you come stay with me in my hotel suite?”