Waiting

Lee Hi & Kim Hanbin: No One
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

December 2017: Hayi

 

It's been almost two years since Lee Hayi's comeback, but Hayi isn't looking forward to releasing another album anytime soon.

Just a few weeks ago, the Korean entertainment industry was shocked by the sudden death of Shinee's Jonghyun. It hit Hayi particularly hard because it had been the late Jonghyun who wrote her a song in her last album --  a song that many would now come to know as his cry for help. It had been Jonghyun who made Hayi feel comfortable on stage when she debuted in 2013.

Sure, Hayi wasn't short on friends; from Marshall, Lydia, Dok2 to Code Kunst. But none of them understood what Hayi goes through with every comeback. They were her fun friends, not the friends she could confide in during hard times. If Hayi told them how hard it was to promote her songs, she didn't think they would understand. What's there to complain about? She's got a good company to support her, and being able to perform in the first place should be enough for every musician.

Hayi loves singing and making music, but she hates promoting. She loathes going on music shows, she detests having to be funny and interesting in variety shows, and she despises talking on radio shows. Why couldn't she just release her music for people to enjoy and leave it at that? Why does she have to fake it and try to be likable for people to listen to her music?

Hayi isn't stupid -- she knows that's how the Korean entertainment industry works. Talent isn't enough; you have to be witty and hilarious and adorable at the same time. People have to like you on a personal level.

After Jonghyun was gone, Hayi had no one to talk to. No one who remotely understood what she goes through. She shuddered at the thought of promoting on music shows; Hayi had had enough of them. The last time she promoted on music shows, all other artists ignored her. No one bothered to bow and she was left all alone on that stage.

So Lee Hayi put all thoughts of a comeback in the backburner. Not now, she thought. Maybe not ever.

She needed some time to grieve, some time to reflect.

 

February 2018: Hanbin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter