Forever Brothers

Drabbles of "Le Coup de Foudre"
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Description: Yan Mo receives an unexpected visitor. 

Author's Note: After the drama ended, it occurred to me that we never heard anything more about Yan Mo's younger half-brother.  My curiosity over what sort of relationship they might have had, led me to write this story.

 

Forever Brothers

 

When Yan Mo arrived early to work one winter morning, he spied someone waiting outside his company’s front door and paused some distance away.  This wasn’t a normal sight and he wondered if he should be concerned.  After all, the offices for Panda Company weren’t along some major thoroughfare and foot traffic in the neighboring area was supposed to be practically nonexistent at this ungodly time of day.  He considered the possibility that it might be a homeless person seeking refuge under their portico, but even from this distance and despite the morning’s darkness, Yan Mo could tell that the black padded coat the stranger was wearing was of some quality.

 

Having no choice but to confront the situation, Yan Mo pressed on. 

 

As he drew closer, he could see that the stranger was a lot younger than he had expected.  And the reason the stranger had looked so big and bulky from far away was because along with the padded coat, this person was also carrying a black backpack that blended in to the coat. 

 

Purposely jingling his keys to alert the other person of his arrival, Yan Mo stepped up to the stoop.  “Excuse me, can I help you?”

 

At his voice, the stranger lifted his head and turned in Yan Mo’s direction.  And that’s when Yan Mo saw, just under the yellow glow of the street lamp, a face that looked so hauntingly like his own.

 

This was no stranger.  This was his half-brother.

 

“Yan . . . Xu?”

 

The boy nodded his head and studied him back.  “You’re Yan Mo, then.”

 

“Have you been waiting a long time?  You must be cold.”

 

“I took the overnight bus and arrived some while ago.”

 

“You’re probably hungry then.  Follow me.”

 

Without saying another word, Yan Mo turned in the opposite direction and led his younger brother to a nearby breakfast spot.  Normally popular with the crowds, it was empty but for employees at this hour. 

 

Yan Mo pointed his brother to a table.  “What do you like?”

 

“Anything would be good.”

 

Yan Mo nodded his head.  Without needing to consult the menu, he said to the waitress, “We’ll have two bowls of soy milk.  Warm.  And two bowls of your house special congee and an order of soup dumplings.” 

 

It was more than Yan Mo was accustomed to eating for breakfast, but he figured if his brother had taken the overnight bus, then he very likely hadn’t had much to eat for dinner the night before either.

 

As they waited for their food, the two brothers sat across from each other staring silently.  The fact was, although they were related, they might as well have been strangers.  Until this moment, they had never met.

 

“How did you . . . why did you come find me?” Yan Mo finally asked.

 

Yan Xu also took his time in answering, and Yan Mo could tell, there were emotions simmering underneath that he was trying to keep under control.  “I found your picture in my father’s desk recently, but when I asked my mom about it, she scolded me for being in some place where I didn’t belong.  It wasn’t until later, when my dad came home, that he sat me down and told me I was finally old enough to know.  He was married once before and he had another son.  I had a brother!  Can you believe that?”

 

Of course Yan Mo could believe it.  He could also understand and relate.  The anger, the disbelief, the sense of betrayal, and the shock.  He knew exactly what Yan Xu was feeling, because once upon a time, he’d experienced the same.

 

“Did you run away from home?”

 

Yan Xu ran the back of his hand against his reddened eyes and sniffled.  “I didn’t know where you lived, but they told me your name and when I searched online, I found your company’s name and address.”

 

“Your parents must be very worried.  Take off your jacket and go wash your face.  I’ll call them while you’re in the bathroom, and then we’ll talk.  Over breakfast.”

 

Yan Xu left to do as instructed, and Yan Mo did as he promised.  After he reassured his father that Yan Xu was with him, and that he’d keep him safe until his father could come for him, Yan Mo placed one more phone call.  He was just finishing up when Yan Xu returned along with the waitress and their food.

 

“Eat.  It’ll help warm you up.”  Yan Mo passed him an extra plate for the soup dumplings.  After a few bites, he set down his chopsticks and clasping his hands under his chin, asked, “What would you like to know?”

 

Yan Xu paused with his spoon still stuck mid-scoop in his bowl and asked after a while, “Why?”

 

Why, indeed?  Such a simple quest

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter