[4]

Boop
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Q:19

CHAPTER FOUR

“There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth… not going all the way, and not starting.” – Buddha.

Minah shook in her bed, turning her heavy head back and blinking. Her door handle was now on the floor and Baekhyun scampered into the room on all fours. Minah gasped and scampered back on the bed until her back was hitting the headboard and her wide eyes were gazing at Baekhyun at the foot of her bed, not yet rising to his full height. 

"How did you get in here?" Minah breathed out and Baekhyun blinked, letting his head tilt to the side and then he looked back, pointing to the door that no longer had a door handle.

"You did that by yourself?" Minah inquired and Baekhyun looked back at her, nodding his head.

Feet pushing back against the ground, heels digging in to stop any further movements, arms unshaking despite the hit they took. Minah knew she wouldn't have the strength to withstand a hit like the one this boy had just taken for her. It was a wooden bat, built to be able to be used for long periods of time. And this boy didn't even tremble at the sight, let alone the impact of it.

His thin arms held her tightly, indicating that she wouldn't be falling from them anytime soon, but she still wrapped her own tightly around the boy's neck, hiding in the same place as she squeezed her eyes shut.

"You're quite strong, aren't you?" She didn't want them to, but memories from that first sighting of the boy came back to her, she didn't want to remember any part of that evening, but she was glad it was only his face her mind thought of.

"Me?"

"Yes you"

"Are you ok?!" Mrs Kim came running into the room, foot colliding with the fallen door handle and casting it across the room. She looked down at it and the three of them all paused, staring at the door handle.

"I'm alright" Minah nodded, swallowing thickly and Mrs Kim looked back to her daughter.

"Ok, well," She paused, looking around the room, bare just like the rest of the house, "dinner is ready" She informed and Minah nodded, pushing herself onto her feet and off the bed.

"Food?" Minah turned to Baekhyun and he stood to his full height, just that little bit taller than Minah.

"Food?" Baekhyun repeated as Mrs Kim backed out of the room.

"Yeah, let's go back to the kitchen" Minah's head bobbed. She stopped next to the door and looked at the hole that was once the door handle, the second part to the handle was by her feet and Minah sighed looking at it.

"Baekhyun fix?" Baekhyun scrambled over with one handle in his hand and picked up the other, desperately looking at Minah then moving to try and fix the door handle.

"It's alright Baekhyun" Minah stopped him by putting her hands over Baekhyun's, stopping his rash movements. Baekhyun stepped back and let Minah empty his hands. Going back to put the handles on her bed, Baekhyun couldn't calm his nerves.

"But Baekhyun-"

"I can show you how to fix it tomorrow" Minah assured Baekhyun, putting her hands on his shoulders and pushing him down the short path to the kitchen from her room.

"Tomorrow?" Baekhyun inquired and Minah pulled him to the kitchen as she walked ahead of him.

"Take a seat" Her mother gestured for them to move to the table and Minah pulled out a chair for herself and Baekhyun as plates of food were put in front of them.

"You didn't have to do this" Minah breathed out, looking at her mother who only gave Minah a knowing look in return. Minah shook her head and smiled at the sight and smell of one of her favourite meals.

"This looks good" She complimented as Baekhyun scooched into his seat next to her.

"And it will taste good too"

------------

There wasn't much to stop when there were only two people performing actions in a house. But when there was a knock at the front door, the tasks being performed were stopped and both heads looked up and turned in the direction of the door. Baekhyun stuck his nose in the air. The TV was such an interesting concept that he hadn't heard anyone come up to their apartment. Minah looked at Baekhyun and then looked at the door again. 

Carefully, Minah looked through the peephole. She stepped back and pursed her lips, unable to recognise the female that was standing in front of her door expectantly.

"Minah?" Baekhyun carefully asked and she looked back at him. The lady on the other side of the door knocked again and Minah jumped. It had Baekhyun on his feet to approach quickly and Minah let out a big breath before putting her hand on the handle and opening the door, only providing enough room for her head to peek out with Baekhyun looking over her hair, wondering who was here.

"Mum?" He inquired and the woman smiled at his voice while Minah pushed him off her back.

"Can I help you?" Minah tried to keep her tone polite and as the woman put her eyes back on Minah, she blinked at the woman on her doorstep.

"Kim Minah, is that who I have here?" The lady asked and Minah swallowed, lowering her chin and leaning back, ready to close the door.

"My name is Jihyo and I am an Independent Domestic Violence Advisor-" Minah's body went rigid and Baekhyun rumbled, ending it in a whine at the action. "-I've been in touch with your mother and Siyeon, who wants to act in your favour on behalf of the Witness Care Unit. I've come to speak to you, may I come in?" Jihyo asked and Minah swallowed the lump that was growing in "

"I don't want to talk, I don't want to do an investigation and I don't want to go to court. I just want to be left alone so that this will all go away" Minah shook her head. Jihyo peered at her, curling her hair behind her ear, it was a soft brown, contrasting to Minah's dark hair.

"You're trying to escape from your difficulties, and there never is any escape from difficulties, never. They have to be faced and fought" Jihyo told Minah and her eyes looked at the other woman as they grew wider. 

"Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale, have you read it?" Minah asked her and Jihyo shrugged.

"Not completely, I only started reading it when I had to wait for new episodes of the series to come out. I just like to quote what I know. You've read the books?" Jihyo asked and Minah nodded, her lips as she looked at Jihyo with uncertainty.

"I've read a lot of books" She answered and Jihyo nodded.

"You could tell me more about that" That was another attempt for Minah to let her in, she knew that, Minah pursed her lips in response.

"Minah" Baekhyun grumbled because he too wanted to be able to see who Minah was talking to. He put his chin on her head and Minah's eyes grew in size again as her body shrunk down in surprise.

"Is this Baekhyun?" Jihyo questioned and Minah looked back. Baekhyun blinked his eyes at her and pouted.

"Yes" Minah nodded her head and Jihyo smiled looking at the young male nestling his chin in Minah's hair.

"Hi Baekhyun"

"Hi Jihyo"

"May I come in? If now isn't a good time, I can come back with Siyeon at a later time that suits you" Jihyo tried again with Minah and her breath hitched at the thought of two people coming back, persistently asking to be let in. She grumbled something under her breath and stepped back, nudging Baekhyun back as she opened the door.

"Come in" She gave her permission in a small voice and Jihyo nodded, entering her home so that Minah could shut the door. She locked it and checked again out of habit whilst Jihyo pulled her feet from her shoes and Baekhyun watched the unfamiliar woman carefully.

"This way" Minah took the short walk to her kitchen and pulled out a chair for Jihyo to sit down at the table.

"Would you like anything to drink?" She asked and Jihyo smiled, setting her bag down by her feet.

"A glass of water would be nice" She nodded and Minah went to the fridge where she kept a jug of cold water at all times.

"Someone's learning to read?" Jihyo inquired, taking notice of the books that were on the kitchen table, waiting to be used again.

"Baekhyun is" Minah answered, coming back with a glass of water in her hand that she sat in front of Jihyo.

"Your mother mentioned him on the phone" Jihyo hummed and Minah nodded, sitting across from Jihyo in the seat next to Baekhyun.

"Are you reading to him?" Jihyo looked at Minah and Minah's head continued to bob.

"I've got some children's books my mother brought over that we've been reading"

"Time to read?" Baekhyun asked and Minah shook her head, putting her hand on his arm so that he wouldn't run off, he was only getting filled with more and more energy as of late.

"Not right now Baekhyun" She sedated his need to go get his books and Baekhyun relaxed in his seat again.

"And these are books for Baekhyun too?" Jihyo pointed to another set of books, one being open on the page that was last used, with wobbly lines indicating someone was tracing letters.

"Learning the alphabet," Baekhyun told Jihyo who smiled.

"Is that making his speech better?"

"Now that he's learning what he's saying, and when he can put a name to something" Minah explained and Jihyon leaned forward on her arms.

"That's very good. Have you taught someone how

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter