[14]

Boop
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
CHAPTER FOURTEEN

"If a man happens to find himself, he has a mansion which he can inhabit with dignity all the days of his life" - James A. Michener.

Minah couldn't take her eyes off the clothes that were draped over her bed. Freshly washed and hung on hangers that gave her the notion to put them directly into her wardrobe so that she wouldn't have to worry about them again. She didn't want a reason to have to wear them, meaning they would have to sit in her wardrobe with the rest of her clothes, looming like a dark cloud over her head that wouldn't go away.

"What are you doing?" Minah jumped and turned to look at Baekhyun standing in the doorway of her room. He smiled bashfully and rubbed the back of his neck, looking apologetic for causing her to jump another time.

"I was just thinking" Minah shrugged her shoulders and turned back to look down at the clothes.

"Are you putting things away?" Baekhyun entered the room and plopped himself on the bed, right beside the outfit that was taking all of Minah's attention, her court outfit.

"I was" minah nodded absently and Baekhyun looked down at the clothing.

"I say you get rid of them" Baekhyun opted without even having to ask for Minah's inner thoughts that had her distracted.

"Huh?" She blinked at him as his shoulders bobbed.

"Well, you don't need to wear them again right? You're making your wardrobe brighter, so I think you should get rid of some of the dark stuff" His lips curled into a smile that was just as soft as his voice and Minah hummed, eyes going back to the clothes again.

"Maybe you're right" She muttered.

"I think I am" Baekhyun's head bounced affirmingly. He ripped the clothes from the hangers and threw them to the floor, leaving Minah with her jaw dropped and her eyes wide as satisfaction filled Baekhyun.

"Ah that feels nice," Baekhyun stretched his arms over his head as he stood up and made his way to Minah's wardrobe, "I wonder what we can throw away from here?" He pondered, opening the door and entering the space.

"Baekhyun what are you doing?" Minah followed him into the smaller room and Baekhyun looked around at her clothes, a lot of them still in suitcases from moving back home, waiting to be moved somewhere that wasn't the house they were in.

"Seeing what we can take away from here" He answered her simply.

"What?" Minah grabbed his elbow, stopping him from sifting through her clothes.

"Baekhyun I need to wear these things" She pointed out and Baekhyun jabbed a finger in the direction of the newly hung clothes that ranged in colours other than black.

"We got them," He told her and Minah didn't even glance at the new clothes.

"That's hardly even two outfits Baekhyun! I can't throw my clothes away I need them"

"We'll keep getting more then" Baekhyun shrugged so simply and Minah grumbled in frustration.

"I can't just keep getting new clothes Baekhyun, that costs money and I'm trying to save up the little bit that we have for us" Minah reminded him and Baekhyun shook his head.

"Then I'll start getting money too"

"How Baekhyun?"

"By getting a job" His shoulders danced and Minah rolled her eyes, putting her hands over his to stop him in his place.

"It's not as simple as that Baekhyun" Minah lowered her voice and Baekhyun's lips pulled downwards at the change in her tone.

"Why not?" He held her hands and turned to face her. Minah breathed out and looked at their clasped hands, her lips that were suddenly dry.

"Because Baekhyun, to get a job, you need to have an education, a bank account and a resume, just to list a few things. We don't even have a copy of your birth certificate, and we need that information to set up a bank account for you, not to mention businesses around here are strict, they will only hire people with the qualifications that they need to run the place"

"Then I'll go and get those things" Baekhyun shook his head, squeezing Minah's hands, trying to get her to believe what he was saying.

"How are you going to do that Baekhyun?"

"Chanyeol" The simple answer made Minah slump, not liking the expectations that Baekhyun was putting on the tall young man he had befriended.

"You can't expect Chanyeol to-"

"I'll talk to him, ask him about where we were born and get in touch with the hospital, the council, whoever it is that can verify my identity and get me my birth certificate. And I'll learn, I'll learn every little thing that I'm able to be taught. And while I'm doing that, I'll set up a bank account, I'll do whatever I have to do to prove I'm a citizen of this country to make that happen. Once that's done I'll get a job in something to get us many and I'll work so hard that you can change yours and my wardrobe ten times over if that's what you want. I swear I'm planing and I'm learning how to make moves Minah, I promise Chanyeol, Kyungsoo and Sehun are even teaching me and helping me to get onto my feet so that I can be an independent adult like you are, I know that you can't keep doing everything that you're doing for me, I know that I swear I do" Stunned into silence by Baekhyun and his burst of emotion, she stared at him, swallowing as his words echoed into the walls of the wardrobe, leaving them in silence for the several seconds it took for Minah to process his words.

"Believe in me Minah, but for now let's take some of these things that are holding you back and take them somewhere far away" Baekhyun's hands pulled away from Minah and she had to curl her fingers and force her hands by her sides so that she wouldn't chase his hands and snatch them back up in hers.

------------

"What is this?" Baekhyun scrutinised the building from outside the window of Mrs Kim's car that she had kindly lent to the pair once Baekhyun had made an explanation for the mess that he turned Minah's room into.

"It's an opportunity shop," Minah told him.

"And this opportunity shop, it's the furthest away opportunity shop that you know of?" Baekhyun narrowed his eyes on the people going in the store.

"No, but I wasn't going to be irrational and go looking around for one far away" Minah shook her head.

"And what does this opportunity shop have to do with us?" Baekhyun sat up from his slouched place of comfort in the seat and Minah sighed.

"An opportunity shop will take these clothes from us," Minah pointed to the bags of clothes in the backseat, only three, but it was a start that wouldn't have her wearing the same shirt every day, "and allow another person to buy them" Minah explained and pulled her brow up when Baekhyun perked in the seat next to her.

"We're ditching the clothes here?" He was too excited and Minah's face dropped at the overshow of enthusiasm.

"You make it sound like none of those things was good pieces of clothing" She grumbled as Baekhyun made the move to get out of the car first.

"Were they though?" He remarked and Minah glared at him, slamming her door shut and ripping into the backseat.

"I actually really liked some of these things" She reminded him.

"Yeah I thought that when you started fighting me over them," Baekhyun thought back to the circles they went in of bickering, pushing, snatching and how many times he dragged Minah across her floor because she didn't want to give up an item of clothing.

"Hurry up, they might be low on donations" Baekhyun swung the car door shut and scurried off before Minah could snap at him and she rolled her eyes, locking the car and following after Baekhyun who was already being greeted by one of the volunteers.

Minah swallowed, handing the bags over wasn't easy. Her fingers didn't want to uncurl from the one that she was holding, even as the volunteer scooped it up into their arms and Baekhyun put his hand on her back, reminding her that she was me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter