Genesis (Cont.)

Exordia: Tale of the Nine Gods

G E N E S I S
(the best part)

I did not write the chapter title, if you must know.

I should have warned Baekhyun that it isn't good to leave the readers hanging. And that it is also not good to disturb me midway to the Firerealm while I'm about to deliver a man's list of sins, in which Chanyeol would examine and decide a punishment on. That man was on the bad side his whole life (I must not disclose  a human's affair with another ... well, humans), so naturally, Chanyeol wanted the list fast. Baekhyun intercepted my duty, saying it's an important work, that Chanyeol would forgive me if I were to help him.

It's not that I can say no to his face. He did seem troubled.

I guess he has told you about me. I am Kai. That's all you need to know for now (Baekhyun especially said he'd write gorgeous things about me if I refrain myself from telling you anything). And I am here to give you a narration on Baekhyun (as Chanyeol's wrath awaits me).

Baekhyun was born during the fifth moon, sixth day, on a place neither of us knows. I don't know why he couldn't remember. I should have known it, too, since I was born with all of my brothers, mere seconds away. But my earliest memory with Baekhyun was us falling from the sky, with him glowing like a falling star. I didn't stay long because we were falling from the sky and teleported right away to the Island of Yang.

I have always admired the way Baekhyun's skin glows. It glows especially brighter when he's mad, so he is rarely ever mad. He likes to keep things to himself. As his brothers, we can tell that he is upset whenever the sun is blazing, and that he is sad whenever the moon dims in light. Not only his skin glows, he has some other distinct qualities as well. His eyes shines. His voice is whimsical, much like the experience of watching the moon and the stars in the midst of the night.

A joyous one, he is. He brings nothing but happiness to those around him. But do not underestimate him—years of drought had fallen upon his wrath; he controls the very objects that us mere humans feel so far and away. He is, after all, the god of the sun, the moon, and the stars.

 

 

I believe Kai did a great job above. I must reward him with love.

Let's move on.

Right after me is the fifth child of the Tree. His bit landed on the peak of the Himalayas, and there rose Chen, the god of sky. Before you can say anything: yes, he can fly. But please don't say he's superman. Not only they have no resemblance whatsoever (also that Chen is real whereas the other isn't), his power is more on the terrifying spectrum--lightning. If you think of any famous figure to compare, Zeus is the guy. (Except that Chen did not possess the bad behaviors Zeus had. I've heard notorious things about that dude). Anyway, I heard this story from Kai but here's how he's born:

The clouds grumbled upon his wake. Storms and thunders shreds the sky. Lightning blasted through the clouds, lighting up the world as if it wasn't in the middle of night. And these all happened unbeknownst to the god. He slept through all of it. His body full of charges from lightnings that had no effect on him whatsoever. The storms and thunder sounds like a lullaby to his tiny ears. His lips curved into a smile, like a little smiling puppy. 

Then he woke. Eyes blazing white like the lightning itself. Voice so loud it makes the sky bow down to him. Standing high on the Everest, he looked down to the land. Again, he smiled. He closed his eyes, spread his arms apart, and he jumped. Then he soared through the sky, becoming one with the air.

Yeah, a very Kai-esque narration. Next.

After the mountains, we go to the Firerealm. It's basically the hardcore version of Frostrealm. Like Frostrealm = mostly good, Firerealm = mostly bad. But if you're a god, you'd know that good and bad is only a matter of perspective. You can never be truly good without the existance of the opportunity to be bad. And because Minseok and Chanyeol know it very well, they don't sort humans into their realms. They pick them randomly and wait for Kai to deliver their deeds and sins. 

You guess it, the sixth child is Chanyeol, the god of the Firerealm. He's actually a pretty fun guy to hang out with if you just forget that fire runs through his veins instead of koko (our version of blood, the essence of the Tree; it's silver) and that you can bath in your sweat if you stay too long in his realm. Over time, you'll also realize that he's a competitive teenage boy at heart. Very competitive teenage boy. I mean, why would he mourn just because Sehun beats him to answer Minseok's riddles?

It's fun to pick on him, though. 

Next is his frenemy, Kyungsoo. He was born in the Amazon before there were the Amazons (and before the website too). He might not look like it, but he's the strongest of us, being the god of earth and nature. This is not the kind of nature you'd associate wiht Yixing. By nature, it really means the wilderness. Even I know not to mess with him (at least I know when his eyes says 'enough'). Chanyeol, Chen, and I often bet who can piss him off better. The result is that I get beaten, Chen gets a pass, and Chanyeol gets ignored. Fun, I know. Kyungsoo doesn't talk much in general. But although he tries to hide it so hard, he's a cutie-pie.

He's also one hell of a good chef. Family meeting wouldn't be as delightful without him and his mouth-watering dishes.

Alright, the next one is pretty complicated. It's Kai. I gotta do a good job on this. I hope Chanyeol wouldn't scold him too hard.

Soooooo ... Kai is the god of all-paths and the interrealms. I know, sounds really flashy. Basically, he can go wherever he wants, whenever he wants. He can teleport, too. But he says he enjoys long walks better. The complicated part is that he was born with all eight of us. Like, he jumped through time and places and was actually there with us as we were brought to life. Pretty cool if you ask me. I once ask him to teleport me back in time (some time around the 1970s when jazz was the it genre), but turns out he can only do it once, on his birth. Pity.

The right word to describe him would be pure. He's a sweetheart. Wouldn't hurt even an ant. He blesses all souls he brings to either Frostrealm or Firerealms. One time Minseok caught him erasing a sin from the list. Minseok forgave him. No one can hold grudges against him. He and our youngest brother, Sehun, would be the death of us--and we're immortals. 

Kai is basically a grim reaper with a heart of gold who likes to travel around the worlds. If it makes sense.

Next.

Last but not least, born in the Sahara is Sehun, the god of the wins and air. Makes you wonder how is he so pale when he spends most of his time in the desert. I suspect he shields himself from the sun. From me. Gotta talk to him about that later. 

He's like the most mischivous kid of all. And he gets away with it because Suho loves him so much they're basically father and son. He doesn't even look like a baby. He's like 6'1 with broad shoulder and resting b-word face. And a fact that I know would get me killed (or at least get me into a near death experience) if he ever finds out that I write this: he's scared to sleep alone. Long time ago, whenever we booked a place for family quality time, we liked to get Sehun a suite all for himself and waited til the night arrived so we can bet whose room gets a visit first.

It was always Suho.

We never bet again.