Promise

The mortal kiss

Warning: Blood!

As weeks were passing by, the relationship between Minji and the boys didn't change. They did greet each other when passing by or on the rooftop but they weren't friends. Just classmates as simple as it sounds, that was it. Minji got along with everyone but she didn't specifically make friends. For her, everyone at school were just kids around her age and younger going to the same school. She liked it that way but sometimes she couldn't help herself when she ate lunch alone in the classroom; she felt lonely. Sometimes other kids would whisper as she walked past in the hallways but she didn't pay attention to it. Her classmates would talk behind her back. Only because she seemed different in their eyes. She was known to be a doll like, expressionless, just like a doll, around the school. A doll with a mysterious aura.

The school's popular kids took an interest in her one day. They had been hearing a lot of rumours about a small girl with no expressions. Because of that, they made sure to keep her company at times to times. And by company meaning that they made her life hell. Stuffing junk in her locker, throwing her books and pens all around the floor and sending threats. They thought it was cool to do so, but in Minji's eyes it was just childish and stupid acting so, she took an act and stopped their doings. How she stopped them? Well, she got in trouble because of it but it was worth it. The popular kids left her alone for good.

*Throwback* *At the school's swimming pools*

"I really have had enough of your childish threats and bullying" Minji crossed her arms as she was staring at the popular kids in front of her. There were a total of ten of them, five boys and five girls. A series of snorts was heard from them as they glanced over at each other while shifting weight from one leg to another. A girl with dyed hair took a step towards Minji.

"Aww, look who is talking back" she grinned while popping bubble gum in . The other kids were giving her their support by laughing and whispering amongst themselves. Minji rolled her eyes and sighed.

"Oh, she made a face! Woah, I'm impressed!" A boy who was the shortest, said in a mocking manner.

"Please," a boy with a bow cut smirked, "we are so scared right now. I think I'm going to pee my pants!" He made everyone laugh except Minji who was just holding in her feelings.

"I recommend for you to stop this bull here. Right now, leave it in this room and get a life of your own, each one of you" Minji calmly said, letting her hands fall back to her sides.The students stopped laughing and stared at her.

"What?" One of them asked. "In what right do you talk to us like that?" She continued and slapped Minji's cheek. Her head turned towards the pool on her left from the impact of the slap. She blowed air through and it made her hair fly upwards a bit on her face.

"My respect and patience towards you all stops here. If you don't listen to my words, then my actions should speak for them!" Minji raised her voice a bit but still remained calm. They stared at her in silence before breaking into a mocking laugh. Some of them imitated her voice and repeated what she said.

" please, you don't scare us" the girl with blonde hair spoke up. "What could you even do? There is ten of us and..." She looked up and down at her with a disgust on her face "...one of you."

"Okay, that's it" Minji said and started walking towards them. She walked past them and turned around, the students were confused.

"What-"

And they all were in the pool. What they didn't notice was that they were standing on a thin cover, right on top of the pool. It was kind of unnoticeable but it was there. What Minji had to do was to walk off of it and press a button on a wall. The cover would then go down quickly and everything on top of it would fall into the pool. Minji squatted down and smiled sweetly at them as they were whining about cold water and how hair is ruined along with makeup.

"Do you hear me now?" She said and didn't wait for a response from them. She walked away and was greeted by the principal right at the door.

"Well, what did my eyes just whitness? Ten students bullying and the victim giving a revenge on a pretty cruel way?" Mrs. Oh crossed her arms. "Detention to all of you!" She said loud enough so that everyone heard her loud and clear.

*End of flasback* *on the rooftop*

Minji was leaning on her arms as she was looking at the sky at the edge of the rooftop of the high school. It was a beautiful mid April day, sun was shining warmly and birds were flying on the slightly orange sky. It was early evening and Minji was still at school. She was finished with the detention that lasted a week. She celebrated it by hanging around the school when everyone had left. She was enjoying this moment of silence for as long as it lasted. Because the silence was broken by boys playing down at the ground. They were teasing each other and playing around. Minji looked down at them to see who they were. Six familiar faces and one unfamiliar face. That seventh one must be Mark. She has heard them speaking about him in class. About how great and cute hyung he is but busy. Without realizing she started smiling warmly at the scene happening. She snapped out of her trance when her phone started ringing in her pocket. She fished it out and her eyes got bigger as she saw who was calling. She quickly stood like she stands in attention and answered the phone.

"Power of unity!" She said confidently.

"There is a mission for you Staff Sergeant Jung right where you are right now" the caller said. Minji's face darkened.

"Yes, sir" she answered in a serious tone.

"Wait for Captain Yoo to arrive with your uniform and weapons, you two will handle this together because the others are on another mission right  now."

"Yes, sir!"

"Do not do anything by yourself, this is a command!"

"Yes, sir!" The caller ended the call before Minji could salute so she did it right after putting her phone away. She wondered how Captain Yoo Dong Chan would arrive but she didn't need to wonder for long as an army helicopter was flying right on top of the school grounds. She started running down the stairs as fast as she could to go greet Captain Yoo. The boys looked up as a sudden strong wind was going around and they saw the helicopter.

"Holy !" Mark shouted out of surprise. The boys didn't move an inch as they were looking up.

"Is that an army helicopter?" Jeno shouted as he was trying his best to stand.

"It looks like it!" Haechan responded as he was holding Mark's arm. He didn't want to fall.

"What is it doing here?" Chenle questioned. The boys shook their heads.

"MOVE AWAY!" A familiar girl was shouting all of a sudden. They turned to look at her as she was waving her hands like cracy high in the air. The seven boys didn't understand what she was talking about. "RUN HERE!" She was now screaming. "QUICKLY!" She screamed as she saw Captain Yoo starting to throw a rope down. But the thing was that at the end of the rope were heavy weights that could crush a human being easily. The boys finally heard clearly what she was screaming and started running towards her just in time before the heavy weights with the rope dropped on the ground with a lound bang. They halted in stop and turned around to see what the bang was. Their eyes got bigger as they realized how close it was from hitting them. Minji ran to them and took a hold of Jaemin's and Mark's wrists and pulled them away from the rope. They were startled from the sudden pull. She then quickly let go of their wrists and did the same for the five other boys. As they were safely away from the dangerzone, Captain Yoo slid down the rope armed and with a bag. As soon as he got to the ground, he threw the bag at Minji.

"Power of unity!" Minji saluted in attention as Captain Yoo walked closer to them. He looked so cool in the boys' eyes. Minji has seen this scene many times but it still made her feel awestruck every time. Minji cursed in her mind as now the boys would know that she is in the army. And if they knew, they probably will tell others about it, too.

"At ease!" Captain Yoo told and Minji obeyed. "Change" he commanded.

"Yes!" Minji took the bag and ran behing a big tree on the school yard. She started changing into her military uniform as fast as possible. She was done within minutes and tied her hair in a tight low bun before putting on her helmet. She then stuffed her school uniform in the bag and ran to Captain Yoo who was telling the boys to go home. The helicopter had already left.

"Minji?" Renjun's voice cracked.

"Staff Sergeant Jung Min Ji is ready for the mission!" She reported and stood in attention.

"At ease!" Captain Yoo told, "good, tell your friends to go home." He continued and motioned towards the seven boys. They looked confused like puppies seeing first snow. They all stared at Minji in awe.

"Guys, it's dangerous at school right now, go home" Minji said to them. They didn't know how to respond.

"You're in the army?!" Haechan yelled. Minji nodded.

"Yes, in fact I am" she answered and she saw how Captain Yoo was getting annoyed. Captain Yoo is pretty chill but as a serious mission is going on, no distractions were allowed. "Go home. I don't want any dead bodies today" she said in a serious tone.

"D-dead?" Jisung was trembling. Minji looked at him and smiled in a comforting way. She walked to him and patted his shoulder.

"Don't worry" she said, "and go home, now!" The boys finally obeyed and started running away from the school. Minji turned to look at Captain Yoo as he was loading his gun. He then gave Minji her gun and knife. She placed them in their right places and took in a deep breath.

"Minji!" She turned around to look at the boys. Jisung was waving his hands.

"Yes?" She yelled back at him.

"Let's be friends? All of us?" He asked. Something clicked in her heart, it felt warm and nice. She liked them.

"Sure!" She smiled.

"Let's all go eat cake later and get to know each other? My treat!" Mark was yelling. Minji let out a small laugh.

"Sure! Let's do that!" She answered.

"Promise?" Jisung asked.

"I promise!" She waved at them as they ran away.

"Have you gotten any information about this mission?" He asked. Minji shook her head.

"No, what do we need to do? I heard it's only us" she responded as she checked the surroundings.

"There has been a report about an armed soldier going near this school and the latest report about him were from inside this school by a teacher who is trapped in the school. He ran away and we need to catch him. The police has already tried their best but with no success when he was threatening people at the mall nearby. Three police officers were hurt and that is when we were called in for help. There are two police cars waiting so, when we catch him, we bring him to them" Captain Yoo explained. Minji nodded.

"I understand. What is the plan?" She asked. Captain Yoo stared at the school for a second before looking at her.

"First, we go in from the main doors. You check all the left side rooms and I check the right side rooms, we start from the first floor and continue to the second and third, any questions?" He asked and stared at her.

"Why main doors? Usually we take the side doors or back doors in this kind of missions" Minji looked straight back at his eyes.

"Because he is a soldier and he would expect us from any other door than main doors, so that is why. He won't be at the main doors so he can't see us coming in" Captain Yoo explained.

"He has seen us, hasn't he?" She partly asked and partly said it to herself. He nodded her head.

"Yes, that is why he is waiting for us to come in. I hope he hasn't done anything to the teacher. What do we need to get a note on?" He tested Minji's ability to note everything.

"To be quiet and quick. Shooting is the last option" Minji answered confidently. Captain Yoo nodded his head in satisfaction.

"Correct, let's go" he lead the way.

"Yes!" She responded and followed him inside.

They cleared the first floor, the runaway was not there.

"Ready?" Captain Yoo mouthed at Minji when they were at the second floor. Minji nodded her head and they started checking the second floor. Minji opened a third door on the left side after checking the first and second rooms. She pointed her gun into the room before entering and as she walked in carefully, a mug from the desk dropped on to the floor. It shattered and as it made a loud noice, Minji turned to it and pointed her gun at it.

"What was that?" Captain Yoo's voice was heard from the earpiece in Minji's ear. Minji answered through a radiotelephone.

"A mug dropped on the floor from the desk, I'm checking what caused it, over." She carefully walked to the desk.

"Be careful, keep me updated. Over" Captain Yoo said. Minji looked under the desk and found gym teacher trembling in there.

"Don't shoot! Don't shoot!" He cried.

"I found the teacher, over" Minji talked to her radiotelephone. "Are you hurt?" She asked from the teacher. The teacher carefully opened his eyes and looked at Minji.

"N-no" he answered.

"I'm here to help you" she said and helped him up.

"Take him to the police waiting outside. Over" Captain Yoo commanded.

"Yes!" Minji responded and motioned the teacher to be quiet. "Be careful and follow me closely" Minji whispered and walked to the door. She checked the hallway before walking out of the room. She motioned to the teacher to come with her hand and he basically ran behind her.

They made their way out safely and the police cars were right in front of the school buildings.

"Civilian is safe, over" Minji reported to the Captain Yoo. She handed the teacher to the police officers. They thanked her and she made her way back into the school. 

"I need backup! Minji, get to the third floor, hurry!" Captain Yoo was talking quickly. Didn't take long for Minji to start running up the stairs. As she got to the third floor, she was greeted by the runaway soldier coming her way. He looked scared and confused and he was holding a bloody knife. Minji stood still and held her gun, pointing it at the soldier.

"Halt!" She yelled at him. He was shocked by the appearance of her and stopped. "Drop your weapons" she ordered but he didn't obey. Captain Yoo was running towards the soldier but the soldier took out his pistol and pointed it at him. "Captain Yoo, are you hurt?" Minji asked while keeping an eye on the soldier.

"Just a scratch" he responded and pointed his gun at the soldier. Minji saw him bleeding from his left side quite heavily and it made her worry for him. "You, don't do anything stupid. The more harm you cause, the more troublesome it is going to be for you" Captain Yoo spoke to the soldier. The soldier didn't say anything, he just stood there with his pistol out. Captain Yoo tried to make him talk by speaking to him, while the soldier was focused on Captain Yoo, Minji slowly crept closer to the soldier. As she was at the distance to knock the soldier out, she saw a second soldier peeking from a nearby classroom behind Captain Yoo. The second soldier didn't look familiar and he was pointing the gun towards Captain Yoo, too. Minji thought fast and as fast as she could she knocked out the soldier in front of her and ran to Captain Yoo.

"Watch out!" She yelled and jumped between him and the soldier, pushing Captain Yoo onto the floor at the same time as a gun shot was heard. She felt sharp pain on her shoulder as she ran towards the soldier, ignoring the pain.

"Minji!" Captain Yoo yelled after her when he turned to face the other soldier. But the other soldier didn't have time to pull the trigger for the second time as Minji knocked him out, too. Time felt like it was stopped or moved really slowly due to the adrenaline.

"Done" she panted heavily as she looked back at Captain Yoo. He was staring at her from the floor. "Sorry for pushing you, Captain Yoo" she apologized. He cleared his throat as he got up.

"Let's get these two to the police. You did well" he said and patted Minji's head. Minji smiled and took the smaller soldier and started dragging him carefully down the stairs.

They got out and the police arrested the soldiers even when they were unconscious. The police left and the two were left to the school.

"That was nerve-racking" Minji said and let out a deep breath.

"Yeah, it was" Captain Yoo agreed. "We did good job" he gave a high five to her.

"Yeah" Minji laughed. The world seemed to spin in her eyes "Captain Yoo..." She said as he was talking to the radiotelephone, ordering someone to pick them up and get treatment for wounds. He looked at her.

"Yes?" He asked.

"I feel dizzy" and after saying that, she fell down.

"I need medical team right now!" Captain Yoo ordered and squatted down next to her. "Minji, do you hear me? You hear me? Wake up!" He yelled but Minji didn't open her eyes.

At the gates were seven familiar boys following the happenings in front of them. They didn't leave the school, they wanted to know what happens but now after seeing her falling onto the ground, they wanted to be at home and not see this.

"Why isn't she getting up?" Haechan worriedly asked. Jaemin was covering Jisung's eyes as there were a lot of blood in the view. He didn't want him to get any trauma from this.

"She didn't die, right? She is just hurt, right?" Jeno questioned as he was following what the man was doing to her. Captain Yoo was checking her pulse and breathing.

"Army doctor! Army doctor, answer me!" He was yelling so loud to his radiotelephone that the boys heard him, too. They were scared for her life. "I'm calling for an ambulance!" And he took out his phone but before he could do that, he noticed that her pulse was barely there. ", Jung Min Ji, you do not die!" He yelled and started to revive her. "Breathe! Wake up!" He shouted. "You're not going to die at the age of eighteen! IN NO WAY!" He yelled angrily and continued to revive her. Captain Yoo and Staff Sergeant Jung are close friends even though they have a few years . They have each other's back in everything; in a mission or outside of it.

"What to do?" Renjun worried and followed the man's actions. As he said that, an army truck drove past them into the school yard. At the same time Minji woke up for a second but fell unconscious again. Army doctor was there to help and they lifted her into the truck and drove off.

"She is going to survive, she must" Jaemin whispered as they followed with their eyes the truck drove away from view.

"We are going to eat cake with her" Mark whispered behind his tears.

"Promises should be kept" Jisung cried.