Half truth

The mortal kiss

"Have you heard the tale of an army girl?" Jisung and Chenle froze to their spots. They barely had taken a few steps towards the new girl from the door. Minji turned to look at them. She had seen them coming when she out of habit turned to look at the door. Jisung and Chenle shook their heads and Minji took off her headset and placed it on her desk. "Come, take a seat" she smiled sweetly at the two. The two boys glanced at each other before walking to her and sat down near her. "Would you to like to hear the tale then?" She closed her journal.

"S-sure" Jisung stuttered. Chenle looked at his friend and nodded in agreement. Minji smiled at them with a friendly smile. In her opinion, the two were absolutely adorable and for sure, younger than her. She bet they still liked stories so that is why she wanted to tell them the tale of an army girl. Well, who doesn't like hearing stories?

"Brilliant! What is your names? I'm Jung Minji" she had a feeling that they had something to do with the boys from earlier. But she was not going to say anything about it. Not just yet.

"My name is Zhong Chenle and this here in Park Jisung, it's nice to meet you" Chenle said and bowed a little. He made Jisung to bow too with his hand. Minji laughed a little at their actions. Cute, is what she thought.

"Ready to hear the tale?" She asked and smirked. The boys nodded in pure excitement. "The tale goes like this:

Once upon a time, there lived this girl whom was abandoned by her very own mother on Christmas Day in the woods. Her mother was kind enough to inform her father what she had done. Her father was disappointed by the baby's mother's actions and he started to raise the girl by himself. He worked in the military of this city and his teammates helped him to raise the girl.

Four years passed and the girl's father had to go to a mission where he was brutally killed. The girl was left with no family who could care enough to take her under their protection. So, she grew up in the military and learned quickly how to use weapons and how to protect herself and others. From a young age of thirteen, she was allowed to go to missions. Her duty was to protect the citizens during missions all around the world. And as she grew more and years passed, her duty was to sneak in to the enemy bases to free all innocent citizens and own teammates. Her job wasn't easy, not at all. Sometimes she had to hurt enemies and sometimes she was hurt.

The military had a rule. It was a rule that everybody had to follow. Even her. Even when she was underage. What that rule was? It was a rule of killing. Soldiers were not allowed to kill people or normal animals. Only the enemies. And with every enemy killed, they had to tattoo a small line at their lower backs. When the back was full, the lines were continues at the back of their legs and so on. The tattoos meant respect and a prayer for the enemies to rest in peace in their true forms. The girl had them too, lines tattooed in her lower back.

The military had another rule. The enemies' remainings had to be buried in to a specific flower field for their eternal rest in their true forms. If they weren't buried or were buried in a wrong place then they couldn't rest and have their true forms. The girl was a part of the team who had to after a mission to go bury the enemies' remainings. That flower field is in a special place and how to get there is pretty simple. You just have to follow a train rail that goes underwater. Just walk on it and you'll get there. Simple, right? There is a warning though: do not go there if you don't know what there is. Because it's dangerous and could get you killed.

There is a rumor going on that the girl died and how she died? That is a mystery. But it's told that the girl's ghost is restless and walks around this city in her military uniform, forever searching for answers.

If you hear steps and see a petite girl around your age in a military uniform. That is her. Lost and lonely" Minji finished telling the tale to the two boys who now looked extremely scared. They had moved the chairs they were sitting on closer to Minji when she was telling the tale.

"D-does she h-haunt this school?" Jisung carefully asked. Minji smirked.

"Especially this school, do you know why?" Minji leaned closer to the two boys. They shook their heads as an answer. "She went to this school for a year. She was homeschooled but she was allowed to take a break from the army and go to a school for a year" Minji was laughing as the boys started screaming in horror when she banged her desk with her palm at the end of the sentence. "I think you two have friends listening right outside the classroom who are as terrified as you're right now" Minji smiled victoriously as four boys walked in with shaking legs. Even Jaemin looked horrified. Which was new to Minji because she thought that he had minimal facial expressions but it seemed like she was wrong.

The lunch bell rang. The six boys were startled by it and Jisung and Chenle hurriedly left the classroom. The remaining four quickly took their seats as other students were walking in the classroom. Minji laughing in her mind as she glanced over at the four boys now in their seats shaking. She succeeded in her goal. She was sure that after the tale, the boys would leave her alone and not pay attention to her. Her face darkened. The tale is partly true because it was about her but she lied a bit to make it seem like just a story which is used to scare little kids. But, well, she did what she had to. She didn't want any trouble and what the four did earlier, seemed like trouble. Troublemakers is what Minji thought of them.

~~~

The bell rang signaling for the end of the school day. As students started packing up their bags, the words from the principal rose in Minji's mind. The pathway to the rooftop. She wanted to find it, no matter what. She wondered if anyone had ever found it before. If it's hard to find like the principal said, could she do it? Could anyone do it? Do even the teachers and the principal know how to get there? She stared at her phone screen, thinking if she should just call a ride home or stay for a while. It was an easy decision. She stood up from her seat, put the phone in her jacket's pocket and started walking.

Two floors below.

"Mark hyung, do you think the tale is true?" Haechan asked from a friend, Lee Mark, who is a year older than him on the phone. He had just told the tale to Mark and he could help but look around every two seconds or so.

"Sounds scary but I think it's just a story, a hoax. So, don't worry about it too much Haechan" Mark told him, to calm him down because he knew that Haechan was scared right now. They have been friends since the early teenage years and Mark knew that Haechan hated scary things. He couldn't stand them as well as others did. He always got scared easily and whenever that happened, he would call Mark. Mark was the only person who could calm Haechan's rapidly beating heart down. "Haechan, listen. Breathe in, okay?" Mark told and Haechan took in a deep shaking breath. "Now, let it out slowly" he told and Haechan obeyed. Haechan was already less scared than before.

"Thank you, hyung" Haechan told and smiled again after hours of being terrified and scared.

"Always, Heachannie" Mark let out a lighthearted laugh.

"Haechan! Let's go!" Haechan turned around to look where a familiar voice was calling for him. At the top of a staircase was Renjun calling for him and gesturing him to follow.

"I need to go but thanks again, really. Love you" Haechan hurriedly told and Mark answered:

"Anytime. Love you too." They hung up. Haechan ran after Renjun. They were going to look for the way to the rooftop together with the other boys. They have always been the only ones at the school after classes because the after school clubs were in another school nearby. But little did they know, they weren't alone today.