Next day

The mortal kiss

The next morning came. I didn't want it to come but it still did. Well, that is time and it moves even if sometimes we don't want it to do so. I didn't sleep too well, exactly four hours. I should be okay. I've gotten used to it during missions. But I'm still tired and I really would like to just stay in bed but my wall clock was closing towards seven in the morning. That is the time I need to get up in order to be in time for school. High school. The last year. Oh boy.

I took my phone from the night stand and just checked all my social media accounts. To be honest, I love photography and I guess, others like the photos I take. I have a photography account in Instagram where I upload the photographs I take. I had a new comment on the recent photo.

I really love your photos! They are so aesthetic

I looked at the username. This person has commented on my photos earlier too. Nice comments really make my day better, I bet they make anyone's day better. I don't even feel that tired anymore.

"Minji? Are you up already?" A familiar voice was heard behind my room's door.

"Yea, yea, I'm up!" I answered and got up from my comfy bed. It looked so warm and calling right after I got up. I glanced at the clock on my wall, it was already ten past seven, I still need to dress up. I walked to my closet and opened it's doors to reveal hanging clothes. There it was. The high school's uniform I was supposed to wear. I really didn't want to but did I have an option? No, I didn't have. With a sigh I took the uniform from the hanger and started dressing up.

"Jung Min Ji!" The same voice was calling, now a little louder and not right behind my room's door.

"I'm almost ready, just wait for a second!" I rolled my eyes as I buttoned the white collar shirt. The person, who was calling for me was who other than officer cadet Han Dong-il.

"Where is your raincoat?" He was calling.

"Raincoat? Umh, I think it's in the car! Yes, it's in the car!" I answered and put on socks and shoes. "Is it raining?" I yelled after putting on the soft west. No answer. Might as well to look outside of my room's window. I opened the curtains and: "Holy ! It's raining dogs and cats! Pouring like no tomorrow" I let go of the curtain to put on the jacket. I was ready. I stood in front my full body mirror to look at the horror of the uniform. I was right, I didn't like it. The skirt, nope. My eyes shifted to my hair, it was a mess. And when I say a mess, I mean a full on mess. A frustrated growl escaped past my lips as I looked for my hairbrush. My hair is sometimes real pain in the because it's long and thick. I started to brush that knot monster so I could braid it.

Didn't take me too long as I still had time to go eat breakfast. I walked out of my room and didn't forget to bring the new backpack with me. As I walked in the kitchen, I was greeted with water puddles all over the tiled floor and a pile of books with notebooks and pens on the kitchen countertop. So, I'm guessing I need to do well because it kind of feels like a serious thing for Dong-il. Speaking of which, he was holding my raincoat while trying to dry his shoes.

"You went outside?" I asked and took my raincoat from him so he could properly dry himself with a towel that was lying on the floor.

"Yeah, I don't want you to get wet when going to my car" he answered simply. I sighed while pouring apple juice in a glass.

"You know, I don't mind getting wet from rain. I'm not made up from sugar" I laughed lightheartedly. I looked at him and he was drying his hair while laughing awkwardly. "I'm not little anymore" I smiled softly.

"In my eyes, yes, you're. And besides we wouldn't want to ruin your new uniform now would we?" He winked.

"I could just stay at home so there wouldn't be that risk" I sing sang and drank the apple juice, ate a sandwish that Dong-il had made for me.

"No, you're going" he knew my tricks but it seemed like this time, they weren't working on him. My lips turned downwards a bit. He gave me a soft glance and handed over my lunch. "Don't frown that much and turn your smile on, okay?" My face didn't move, not even an inch. "Come on Min, your father would have wanted for you to live a normal teenage life, even a little" he said and patted my shoulder.

"Then why I haven't been to school earlier?" He didn't answer.

"Won't you look at the time! We're almost late, now, hurry up and let's go!" He told and started putting on a jacket and a raincoat. 

~~~

The rain stopped as we were driving. I could see the high school nearing in the distance as Dong-il was driving his car. It looked big and fancy but I guess, that is just the outside shell. I'm pretty sure it's just an ordinary high school. I took a hold of my tag, I had my father's tag too in the same chain. I never take it off, and I'm not supposed to do that either. I always wear it under my shirt. I really hope that no one knows I'm in army and I hope no one sees my tag because then they would start asking questions and rumors would spread... Well, that is what I think would happen. Since I don't know how high school works. But let's just hope for the best.

"We are almost there! I will drop you off at the gates" Dong-il was smiling proudly. He was enjoying this situation way too much for my liking but who am I to say anything? Let the man have his fun. At least he is enjoying this for me, too. I followed as the car came to its stop right in front of the gates. I saw students walking in from the gates. They all looked okay but I cannot see their personalities from the outside now can I? Last time I checked, I couldn't do that.

"Okay then, wish me luck" I said. Even I could hear my nervousness from my voice.

"Oh! One last thing. Go to the principal's office. You'll get needed stuff from there" Dong-il said. I stopped my hand from opening the door.

"Where is it, how can I find it?" I asked. Dong-il burst laughing, probably at my face.

"Think it as a mission. You'll find a way" he told and waved at me. "Now, go on! Text me the time when your day ends. I'll come pick you up" he smiled warmly.

"Wow, what a help. Okay, bye" I said and jumped off the car.

"Bye!" He said before I closed the door. He drove off and I followed the car with my eyes as it disappeared from view. I sighed for the nth time. I took a good hold of my backpack's straps and started walking. I followed the students who were going in from doors that looked like the main doors. And immediately I saw a big blue sign that read: PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE. Thankfully this school was smart enough to write it in big lettering so every person could see it. Not that I have trouble seeing, I have pretty perfect vision. I'm one of the best shooters after all. But what I mean is that a newcomer like me can see it easily without searching much. I went to the direction where the arrow was pointing at, which was left. As I was walking, I could feel other students staring at me as I walked pass. I tried to ignore them and looked at every label next to the doors I was walking past to check if it was the principal's office.

I finally reached it, it was far back in the hallway. I took in a deep breath and knocked because that should be done, right? In army at least. I think it's just polite to knock and wait for a permission to go in. There was a red, yellow and green light next to the door. The green light lit up and it meant I could go in. So, I opened the door and went in. Behind a light colored desk was sitting a lady, probably almost in her sixties. She lifted her head and a smile spread on her wrinkled face.

"Good morning darling! I've been expecting you. Come and take a seat" she said motherly. I bowed ninety degrees and greeted her.

"Good morning, I'm Jung Min Ji, ma'am" I told and sat down. She was smiling.

"Darling, call me Mrs. Oh. It's so nice to finally meet you in person! Han Dong-il has told me so much about you and how good you're at studying. It's really a pleasure to have you as a student in our school" Mrs. Oh said. She only used Dong-il's name. So, she probably doesn't know that he is an officer cadet and I'm a special soldier. A heavy stone just rolled off my shoulder. If she doesn't know, then probably no one else either. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in.

"Oh, that is a surprise Mrs. Oh" I laughed nervously. She was just smiling, again. How much does this lady smile? Well, at least she looks kind.

"Here is your time table and other information about our school. Feel free to wander around after school and what is special about our school is that the rooftop door is always open so students can go there. But there is a trick! We don't tell how you can get there. So if you desire to go there, find the way. It's pretty hard to get to" she winked at me.

"I'll try. Sounds exciting!" I told and showed a smile at her.

"Great to hear that. Oh my, your class is starting soon. You better hurry! Your home classroom is on the third floor" she told. I nodded.

"Okay, thank you so much!" I said and bowed before leaving the room.

The hallways were still full of students as I made my way to the third floor. I've never felt so vulnerable like I did now. I felt every gaze thrown at my direction and I didn't like it. I'm not used to this much attention at once. Okay, to be fair, on duty and wearing the military uniform, I get a lot of double takes but I can ignore it easily. The uniform helps, too. But now. A skirt is already making me feel uncomfortable so stares with it. Not good.

I finally made it to the third floor and the bell rang. Students started rushing to get to their classes. But I didn't know where my classroom was. I waited for others to go so I could search for it in peace and focus. The waiting felt like a life time. But no, in relity it was jsut like a minute or two but I felt stupid, just standing still in the hallway. I probably looked like a fool but that is okay. Not a big deal.

"Finally" I muttered to myself. I saw the classroom where I'm supposed to be at. I stood at the door. Should I knock or should I just go in? How does this work?? I don't know! I peeked inside and saw the teacher already doing his work. "... I don't know" I said so quietly I almost didn't hear it myself.

"Hey... Sorry... Are you the... The new girl?" An exhausted and panting masculine voice said suddenly. I jumped a bit to the side out of surprise. I looked at him. He was a student like me and he was panting heavily and was leaning on the lockers not so far away from me. He let his breathing to even before pushing himself to stand properly.

"Oh, yeah. I'm the new girl" I said quickly because it was taking too long for me to answer. And I was staring at him. He was tall like two heads taller than me. Okay, I'm just 160 centimeters tall. People often are way taller than me. So... It's understandable that he seems really tall to me. But I'm pretty sure he is tall to others too.

"Okay good, I found you in time then!" He said happily and walked closer to me. He had a cute eye smile. He was cute with his black hair. Overall a cute boy. "I'm Lee Jeno and in the same class as you. I was supposed to introduce you to our class but I slept in and had to run to school" he awkwardly scratched the back of his head while laughing nervously. I waved my hands.

"It's okay. That happens sometimes. My name is Jung Minji, nice to meet you" I smiled kindly. He showed me his eye smile again.

"Let's go in, shall we" he opened the door anyway and went in. I shortly followed him and closed the door behind me.

"Good morning, Jeno. I see you finally brought her" the teacher said.

"Morning everyone. Let me introduce you our new classmate, Jung Minji!" As he said my name I bowed and said with a polite smile:

"Hello, nice to meet you all. Let's get along well."